BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

04-20-2021, 12:49 PM   #1
B_Hxn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP

F80 maintenance general question

Hey all

I'm very new to F80 platform, and honestly, very new to "nice" cars in general.

I bought my first F80 a few months ago. 2018 M3 comp, 38k on the clock.

It didn't come CPO, I think because previous owner got into a front-end collision. But the work looks good and I have full documentation.

Anyway, I wondered generally how you guys maintain these cars? How often do you take it for service? How often do you replace brake pads, oil change etc etc.
I know there are benchmarks for all of the s things, but with it being a high performance car, I wondered if you guys operate on a different schedule and take maintenance into your own hands.
It's completely stock, by the way.

Thanks so much for any replies
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 12:50 PM   #2
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Hxn View Post
Hey all

It didn't come CPO, I think because previous owner got into a front-end collision. But the work looks good and I have full documentation.

Anyway, I wondered generally how you guys maintain these cars? How often do you take it for service? How often do you replace brake pads, oil change etc etc.
I know there are benchmarks for all of the s things, but with it being a high performance car, I wondered if you guys operate on a different schedule and take maintenance into your own hands.

There is a computer that tells you what you need to do and when to do it in iDrive.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 12:57 PM   #3
B_Hxn
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
Quote:
Hey all

There is a computer that tells you what you need to do and when to do it in iDrive.
Man, there's always one isn't there, who tries at any given opportunity to make someone feel like an idiot....
I DID say that I'm new to the platform AND to high performance cars....despite that, I also said I was aware of the maintenance benchmarks, but was curious as to if the more experienced owners here go off piste and have their own personal routines.
Maybe read the question properly before trying to make someone feel small
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 01:00 PM   #4
B_Hxn
Enlisted Member
Rep

Also, may as well clarify, I'm curious with it being such a high performance car, if there are any extra things you do that just generally enhance the longevity of these cars, or any preventative measures etc.
Thanks for any help
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 01:02 PM   #5
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Man, there's always one isn't there, who tries at any given opportunity to make someone feel like an idiot....
I DID say that I'm new to the platform AND to high performance cars....despite that, I also said I was aware of the maintenance benchmarks, but was curious as to if the more experienced owners here go off piste and have their own personal routines.
Should I use the instead? There's a bunch of these threads already.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 01:05 PM   #6
slobo7x
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 550 F10

There is no need to defend yourself against comments like that, this is a public forum, just read it and move on.

Typically I do my own work on any car I have and that includes the F80/82 platform. Parts are a bit more expensive and you have to be careful when wrenching on any part of the car, if you break something it's expensive. If your car came with the owners manual, it should list some basic service interval requirements. You have have very low miles so nothing major you need to have done.

I like to change oil every 5-7k, and not wait for 10k to change it. That's just my ocd, I can't really tell you if it helps or not longevity of the engine.

When you bought the car did it come with any service history on carfax or from the previous owner?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 02:22 PM   #7
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ///M4 COMPETITION

I take mine to a shop I know for oil every 7-8k miles or once a year at minimum, whichever hits first.
In addition if I'm going on a road summer trip I do an oil change beforehand.

When they do that they also take a full check of everything else for me so I don't really worry about it as I know these guys and they're proper.

Other than that I have my car in with the guys who did my coating once a year (sometimes 2 times a year) to check the coating and a proper clean in and out of it to take car of the leather.

If you track the car I'd just do more regular maintenance for the periods before/after to make sure all fluids and brakes are fine and the tires.

Last edited by Tecnniqe; 04-20-2021 at 02:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 02:29 PM   #8
RSXDC5
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Oil change every 5k, spark plugs every 20k, check your rear Differential bushings for cracks, research the crank hub issue, have someone look over your suspension bushings in case any are in need of replacement. If your car feels floaty on acceleration, buy the SPL Rear Toe Arms w/ eccentric lockout.
      04-20-2021, 02:33 PM   #9
icebiker
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F83 6MT

Welcome to the F8x club! I'd also add -if you haven't already done so since it wasn't CPO'd- check your top mount intercooler reservoir and ensure it has fluid. While the S55 engine is generally very robust and trouble free, the TMIC is known to leak on some cars with no apparent mileage pattern.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 02:37 PM   #10
F80RN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f80 m3/2016 x3

As this just happened to me, also check your oil cooler. Being that it's under the car, even with the skid plates it can be exposed to road debris and subsequently develop a leak. I just found out mine is leaking and therefore I'm having it replaced.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 03:23 PM   #11
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335I X-Drive E90

Quote:
Dont worry about that guy. He must live in a perfect world were people never reset computer maintenances schedules without actually doing maintenance. The only way that would work is if it was locked to only allowing dealers reset these things ect..

Anyways treat this bmw like any other bmw that you would in terms of maintenance. If you drive it hard get oil changes done sooner, if your a light foot driver then the normal intervals are typically good. I personally change my oil every 10k miles, but I also rarley drive my cars hard. I've owned my M4 for a month now and i've only ever done 1 pull on it and that was durring my first drive home after the purchase.

If you bought it from a private party, I'd replace the oil now as a safe precaution since you never know the type of oil that was previously used, or how long that oils been in there. If you got it at a dealer and they changed it before you bought it then dont worry about it. Id also suggest that you take a look at your brakes for premature wear or reaplaced brake pads because there are times were people replace break pads, but dont replace the sensor and it can cause your car to think its time to replace them, when its not needed.

Most say that the transmission has a lifetime fluid on it, but personally I'd change it at least every 60k to 100k depending on how you feel about it. When it comes to maintance I like to do things earlier than recommended that way it helps maintain the car longer (at least thats the hope). I'm not sure about the differential fluids, but from what ive read most people change that around 80-100k miles and those who drive it harder typically change it more often (20-40k miles) Im not sure about the reccomended differential change rate on the M3/M4 so hopefully someone can post about what bmw recommends.

The only other tips that I can give is to make sure that you inspect your car often from the wheel wells to the brakes, to the engine bay. I tend to look over my car at least 1 every few months with a flash light to look for anything random. I'd also suggest suggest keeping an eye on your intercooler coolant reservoir since its been known to leak and the first sign of a leak is a depleting intercooler coolant reservoir

Another tip if you plan to add a tune, at a bare minimum get the CBC capture plate to help protect your engine from slipping.
2007 Bmw X5 (Sold)

Last edited by buster84; 04-20-2021 at 03:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 04:08 PM   #12
B_Hxn
Enlisted Member
Rep

Super super helpful stuff, guys.
Thank you so much
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 07:09 PM   #13
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Oil 6k miles/6 months

Spark plugs every 30k miles roughly

Brakes whenever the light comes on (mine hasn't & I just hit 41k)

Brake fluid every 2 years/20k miles

Rear diff fluid I'm probably going to do soon but I think recommendation is 50k

DCT fluid is lifetime
Appreciate 0