proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

05-27-2020, 02:11 PM   #1
fernisatree
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 S4 Avant, F80 M3, F31 328d

NBT Evo ID6 DAB Retrofit

This thread is just a success story of how i retrofitted a new to me ID6 NBT evo unit in my F80. My car is a US spec 2018 with ID6 already installed. I live in Germany and got a deal on a used ID6 unit with a DAB controller and other items. I have installed the unit and swapped out the diversity antenna by the third brake light. I had kubax86 do the adaptation for the new unit and everything works great. Full disclosure there is no L-band antenna hooked up, but i have read it is rare to use L-Band in Europe. Other than that it is great the album art comes up and i receive traffic notifications in my Idrive unit even though i still have a US spec ATM module. Just know that connected drive will not work still unless you swap out the NA spec ATM for an EU spec one.

To summarize if you want DAB on a car that was not installed originally you just need a couple parts. You will need the ID6 unit with DAB capability, the rear diversity antenna, and a cable to that antenna. Once you get those parts and install them you will need them coded. This is all assuming your car is capable for the ID6 swap also. I believe most ID4 and all ID5, ID6 are capable of this swap.

Big thanks to kubax86
Attached Images

Last edited by fernisatree; 05-27-2020 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: Reformat Photos
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 10:27 PM   #2
blackabass
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue 320d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernisatree View Post
This thread is just a success story of how i retrofitted a new to me ID6 NBT evo unit in my F80. My car is a US spec 2018 with ID6 already installed. I live in Germany and got a deal on a used ID6 unit with a DAB controller and other items. I have installed the unit and swapped out the diversity antenna by the third brake light. I had kubax86 do the adaptation for the new unit and everything works great. Full disclosure there is no L-band antenna hooked up, but i have read it is rare to use L-Band in Europe. Other than that it is great the album art comes up and i receive traffic notifications in my Idrive unit even though i still have a US spec ATM module. Just know that connected drive will not work still unless you swap out the NA spec ATM for an EU spec one.

To summarize if you want DAB on a car that was not installed originally you just need a couple parts. You will need the ID6 unit with DAB capability, the rear diversity antenna, and a cable to that antenna. Once you get those parts and install them you will need them coded. This is all assuming your car is capable for the ID6 swap also. I believe most ID4 and all ID5, ID6 are capable of this swap.

Big thanks to kubax86
Thanks for this post, I followed your steps and did this in my F30, and a massive improvement to my DAB signal.

Quite a simple retrofit with just two parts below.

Fakra Z Antenna Aerial 6m Extension Cable Female-Female GPS GSM DAB DVB TV
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254151428808

BMW 3 SERIES F30 ANTENNA MODULE with 3 points (part number - AV9231179)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...31179&_sacat=0

Disconnected the old amplifier
Installed the new one
Connected the cable and run it to the DAB connector behind the HU
Thats all and completed in 30 minutes. I had ID6 in my HU so no codding required.

Thanks once again for the post and I am sure many will find it useful like I did
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 07:34 AM   #3
paul_e88
Rep
Drives: E90 BMW

Hey blackabass , i am in the same situation now.
Can you please tell me if you orignally had DAB on your HU?
I have a NBT Evo ID6 and i don't have DAB from factory, but would like to retrofit if possible.
Would it be this simple - just add a cable and probably a new amp - and then the option appears in HU?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 03:13 PM   #4
fernisatree
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_e88 View Post
Hey blackabass , i am in the same situation now.
Can you please tell me if you orignally had DAB on your HU?
I have a NBT Evo ID6 and i don't have DAB from factory, but would like to retrofit if possible.
Would it be this simple - just add a cable and probably a new amp - and then the option appears in HU?

Thanks
I believe if you look at the back of your ID6 unit it should have two antenna ports for DAB antenna connectors. I think that would be your first step to check if it can be added, then the coding would come next.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 01:44 PM   #5
biosdi
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW 420d Gran Coupè

Thanks for your post.

Given that L-band is not used in Italy, do you think that using the antenna in the attached picture plugged to the yellow connector behind the unit, DAB will work? Or the ampli you linked is mandatory?

Thanks a lot
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 09:21 PM   #6
fernisatree
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biosdi View Post
Thanks for your post.

Given that L-band is not used in Italy, do you think that using the antenna in the attached picture plugged to the yellow connector behind the unit, DAB will work? Or the ampli you linked is mandatory?

Thanks a lot
The picture shows the antenna controller and the extra wire is needed for DAB reception. There is two bands the l-band and i forget the other band. But the other band is that yellow connector and is what you need to receive a signal.
Appreciate 0