Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

10-05-2020, 08:47 PM   #1
MadBeamer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4

Trickle charging

Hello everyone

What trickle charger do you recommend for a F82? This winter I may not get much mileage in and already due to no commute (thanks to Covid-19) I only get a 30-45min drive weekly just to enjoy the car and keep the battery up. But I am already worried negative effects on the battery.

I have a Duracell 4amp Li-ion capable charger that I use on my Land Rover LR4 but I've not tried that on the M4. Wanted to get your input before I do that...

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 1
ss-f8230.50
      10-05-2020, 08:59 PM   #2
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

i dont think its that serious. i only trickle mine when its sits for more than a month

CTEK Li-ion charger
Appreciate 2
      10-05-2020, 09:56 PM   #3
agentrnge
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 6MT, 2001 740iL

Same-ish. I have the Duracell 4 amp charger as well. I only hook it up if the car has been idle for like 3-4 weeks. And then I place it on for a few hours / half a day. see that its topped up and disconnect again. Battery was probably still at 80+% when it sat for a month, if the charge / status indicater on the charger is to believed. Thats about the longest its sat, and why I got the charger from costco when it was on sale a few months ago.

My other car, I put on a trickle a few hours every week or so to keep happy.
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2020, 10:48 PM   #4
MadBeamer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentrnge View Post
Same-ish. I have the Duracell 4 amp charger as well. I only hook it up if the car has been idle for like 3-4 weeks. And then I place it on for a few hours / half a day. see that its topped up and disconnect again. Battery was probably still at 80+% when it sat for a month, if the charge / status indicater on the charger is to believed. Thats about the longest its sat, and why I got the charger from costco when it was on sale a few months ago.

My other car, I put on a trickle a few hours every week or so to keep happy.
Thanks for that info. I've not used that Duracell on a lithium battery yet (and yeah I also got it at Costco for my LR4). I assume it's not been an issue using it on a M4/M3. Just read a bunch of posts saying not to use regular charges with this battery so I got all paranoid...
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 12:05 AM   #5
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBeamer View Post
Thanks for that info. I've not used that Duracell on a lithium battery yet (and yeah I also got it at Costco for my LR4). I assume it's not been an issue using it on a M4/M3. Just read a bunch of posts saying not to use regular charges with this battery so I got all paranoid...
You stated that’s a li-ion charger though didn’t you? If so, it’s fine to use.
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2020, 12:19 AM   #6
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post
You stated that’s a li-ion charger though didn’t you? If so, it’s fine to use.
^^That.

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2020, 02:33 PM   #7
agentrnge
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 6MT, 2001 740iL

Yeah. no issues using that model on the M3/4 Lith-ion battery. Note of caution, -every- time you hook it up/ power it up you need to change the mode its in with a long press and hold. It defaults to standard lead-acid 12v. The worry wort in me checks and re-checks that its in the correct mode like 2 or 3 times when I use it.

2nd note of caution, we are advised to charge at under hood terminals rather than at battery. Ive done both without issues, but after the 2nd top off I wired the provided quick connect cable under the hood.
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2020, 07:37 PM   #8
MadBeamer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah. no issues using that model on the M3/4 Lith-ion battery. Note of caution, -every- time you hook it up/ power it up you need to change the mode its in with a long press and hold. It defaults to standard lead-acid 12v. The worry wort in me checks and re-checks that its in the correct mode like 2 or 3 times when I use it.

2nd note of caution, we are advised to charge at under hood terminals rather than at battery. Ive done both without issues, but after the 2nd top off I wired the provided quick connect cable under the hood.
Thanks for that info and notes of caution

I have my quick connect wired into my motorbike since that stays put all winter, thanks to covid I may have to purchase another Duracell to keep at least two vehicles charging simultaneously. That's why I was wondering what more do you get for the CTEK as this would be a good time to decide before buying another Duracell
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 08:00 PM   #9
gottspd
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, Lexus LC500, MK4 Supra

Quote:

Can you post a pic of where you connected it to? Particularly the negative terminal.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 10:09 PM   #10
SCS55
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90,F30, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottspd View Post
Quote:

Can you post a pic of where you connected it to? Particularly the negative terminal.
My CTek hooked up on my M3.
Mode is set to "Li-on"
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 10:29 AM   #11
gosutony
Rep
Drives: 15' M4 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCS55 View Post
Mode is set to "Li-on"
Does the bottom side of the BMW charger happen to tell you how many AMPs its pushing out?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 10:38 AM   #12
SCS55
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90,F30, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosutony View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCS55 View Post
Mode is set to "Li-on"
Does the bottom side of the BMW charger happen to tell you how many AMPs its pushing out?
No. Various conditioning modes illuminate via little battery icons. The manual talks about which state of charge/condition each little battery icon means the last two being essentially full or a "float" charge if I recall correctly.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 12:50 PM   #13
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

This is what I have
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...language=en_US

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 11:57 PM   #14
MadBeamer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I ended up picking up another Duracell charger from Costco and hooking up the quick connect . Was able to charge in li-ion mode.

However I decided to disconnect after a full charge and not leave it on as a trickle charger mostly in case of a power failure. In our area that rarely happens but sometimes we wouldn't even know it happened unless one of the clocks is off. If that were to happen while the charger is on the car, that would revert it to normal battery mode and I am not sure what damage that would do to a li-ion battery.
Appreciate 0