Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-20-2022, 08:47 PM   #23
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

After alignment and corner balancing. Here are a couple pictures showing the ride height and how flushed I got the wheels.

Appreciate 1
      01-21-2022, 01:56 AM   #24
ninekrpm
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80M3 (Track) / E92M3 (Street)

Looks great, who ended up doing the alignment?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 02:49 AM   #25
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninekrpm View Post
Looks great, who ended up doing the alignment?
PM sent
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 05:42 PM   #26
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Okay, got to drive it around in various settings for a couple hundred miles. Here are my initial thoughts.

There is definitely an increase in NVH. It's more noticeable for the front vs the rear. After installing the rear arms, I did my diy alignment and took it out for a test drive. There was minimal NVH introduced but all the slop and chatter was gone in the drive line.

However, after putting the fronts in and getting it aligned, I noticed a big jump in NVH while driving under 20mph on rough roads; you simple feel and hear everything. Since the rod ends are new, everything feels nice and tight; even while hitting bumps. But as they wear out, I'm afraid it might start to feel more "crashy".

I just discovered the rod-end boots/covers available for these arms. I wish I knew that before I installed everything. Regardless, I may purchase and install those to protect the rod ends.

If the front starts to annoy me, I think I'm gonna get the SPL adjustable monoball for the OEM caster arm and reinstall that along with putting the OEM toe arm back in. This way, I can still have the adjustability I want while keeping some ball joints in the mix — thus decreasing some of the NVH.

Despite the added NVH, the car drives fantastic. Body roll has decreased and the steering, acceleration, braking is more planted.
Appreciate 1
Rokoz293.00
      01-22-2022, 06:52 PM   #27
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by x.shell

I just discovered the rod-end boots/covers available for these arms. I wish I knew that before I installed everything. Regardless, I may purchase and install those to protect the rod ends.
Damn. I thought I had mentioned this earlier, but I guess that was in the other thread about the rear links.
This is why I chose the Fall Line rear links (they were also cheaper, and I'm a cheapskate).
Keeping dirt and grit and water out of the rod ends should definitely extend their life. But if they're quality joints they should last a while.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2022, 10:35 PM   #28
Rokoz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 f80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by x.shell View Post
Okay, got to drive it around in various settings for a couple hundred miles. Here are my initial thoughts.

There is definitely an increase in NVH. It's more noticeable for the front vs the rear. After installing the rear arms, I did my diy alignment and took it out for a test drive. There was minimal NVH introduced but all the slop and chatter was gone in the drive line.

However, after putting the fronts in and getting it aligned, I noticed a big jump in NVH while driving under 20mph on rough roads; you simple feel and hear everything. Since the rod ends are new, everything feels nice and tight; even while hitting bumps. But as they wear out, I'm afraid it might start to feel more "crashy".

If the front starts to annoy me, I think I'm gonna get the SPL adjustable monoball for the OEM caster arm and reinstall that along with putting the OEM toe arm back in. This way, I can still have the adjustability I want while keeping some ball joints in the mix — thus decreasing some of the NVH.

Despite the added NVH, the car drives fantastic. Body roll has decreased and the steering, acceleration, braking is more planted.
Really appreciate this thread - looking to do a bit more in the front of my car. Where are the boots for the rod-ends available? Definitely want to add those to anything I put on the car.

Any changes in NVH now that they've likely broken in a bit more?
      09-05-2022, 11:04 PM   #29
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokoz View Post
Quote:

Really appreciate this thread - looking to do a bit more in the front of my car. Where are the boots for the rod-ends available? Definitely want to add those to anything I put on the car.

Any changes in NVH now that they've likely broken in a bit more?
Here are the boots for the rod ends.

https://www.fkrodends.com/products/s...roducts/boots/

I ended up taking all the front control arms back to stock with the exception of a new SPL adjustable caster monoball.

I might end up putting the SPL adjustable lower control arm back in though. It'll all depend on what I want to do with the alignment.

Unfortunately I'm also trouble shooting a bad creaking noise from the drivers side strut; so that's been first priority for me.
Appreciate 2
Rokoz293.00
TopJimmy5449.50
      09-06-2022, 08:27 AM   #30
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

+1 on finding those boots!

I'm thinking if you pack a boot with grease it'll keep any water out?
      09-06-2022, 09:58 AM   #31
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post

I'm pretty sure those boots aren't meant to be greased. FK rod ends come with a Teflon coating that is not supposed to be greased. I think these covers/boots are just meant to keep dirt and contaminants off the rod ends.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 12:41 PM   #32
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post

I'm pretty sure those boots aren't meant to be greased. FK rod ends come with a Teflon coating that is not supposed to be greased. I think these covers/boots are just meant to keep dirt and contaminants off the rod ends.
Stuff it in, no lube (she said…heh heh).

U da man X. Thanks!
      09-06-2022, 06:30 PM   #33
deli333
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

I remember the nightmares I had when I installed all 8 arms in the rear axle all together. I think it took at least 10 shops to find a good one. SPL was like "SIR ISN'T THERE A GOOD ALIGNMENT SHOP?"
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 11:10 PM   #34
F80Speed77
Grid.Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Can confirm that the ride starts to go to hell over rough surfaces after about 10000 street/track miles haha. Still worth it though!
Appreciate 1
Rokoz293.00
      09-06-2022, 11:15 PM   #35
Rokoz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 f80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80Speed77 View Post
Can confirm that the ride starts to go to hell over rough surfaces after about 10000 street/track miles haha. Still worth it though!
Did you do all the SPL parts at once?
      10-14-2022, 12:00 AM   #36
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokoz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F80Speed77 View Post
Did you do all the SPL parts at once?
That's how you are supposed to do it… piece by piece is a waste of time, install money and alignment money lol
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0