EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-26-2020, 06:31 AM   #507
THOR_Flasher
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Austria
Rep

Drives: BMW M2 | M3 | M4 F8X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorstein View Post
Code is no longer working?!?

we have already unlocked the -35% off in the webstore. The code was only a kind of announcement for forum users. so you do not need it anymore.
Appreciate 2
      11-26-2020, 08:52 AM   #508
JeffB-M3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdulbata View Post
I just bought the software off bimmer-connect. First off the code doesn't work. So I said whatever I just bought it anyways after speaking to them on IG direct message. I have a 2020 M4 comp 6 speed, so I opted for the dynamic package. I asked them before I purchased if this works with a 2020 M4. And I'm getting an error saying the connected vehicle is not supported.
I'm hoping I get a response tomorrow if there is a fix for this or I can get a refund.
I'm in the same boat although my car is a 2017 but with a recent software update from BMW. I sent an email to their support address....crickets.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 03:04 PM   #509
sappersix
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB-M3 View Post
I'm in the same boat although my car is a 2017 but with a recent software update from BMW. I sent an email to their support address....crickets.
Sorry to hear you're having challenges. I thought I would share my setup in case it helps.

2016 M4 ZCP 6MT. 04/16 build date. Original I-Step F020-16-03-504. Updated to F020-20-07-540 by dealer.

Purchased Thor Dynamic package. Successfully flashed GHAS, EPS and DSC to Thor Road & Track (CS) map.
      11-26-2020, 03:09 PM   #510
sna66
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83 SS on SS

I have a 2015 m4 and it pulls to the right after 2 alignments, I see that there is a software update that fixes this, any idea if this will resolve this issue? Vs paying the dealer for update?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 03:37 PM   #511
Trevorstein
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Trabant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sna66 View Post
I have a 2015 m4 and it pulls to the right after 2 alignments, I see that there is a software update that fixes this, any idea if this will resolve this issue? Vs paying the dealer for update?

No. You shouldn't have to pay the dealer for this update!

11-26-2020, 05:35 PM   #512
LYTSOUT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

After getting the Black Friday deal, I just flashed the GTS/"club sport" maps in Thor's Dynamic Package in my F80 6MT. It's 50F and overcast today, and my tires are MPSS in OEM sizes (255/275) on OEM 513M 18s. The car is currently tuned with the GTS map on BM3, but otherwise bone stock. Here are my thoughts...

Time: I used a DME-to-ethernet cable with an ethernet-to-iphone/lightning adapter, and the process was super fast with this setup. It took a few mins to create the username, password, input my voucher code, etc. But once all that was one, it only took about 5-6 mins to flash all three components which is awesome b/c I've heard it taking nearly 25 mins with the wifi adapter.

Steering: This is the most significant change. Itís DEFINITELY lighter AND more precise. And by ďlighterĒ I mean Sport Plus now feels like Comfort or maybe Sport used to. And Comfort is VERY light. I can easily turn the wheel with one finger. Precision is much better too. Gone is the dead spot in the middle. It almost feels like my 997S...almost.

LSD/overall traction: This was one of my primary concerns with (or at least hopes for a solution from?) Thor. While I love the torque of a tuned F80, I find it annoying that I can't put the power down or at least not with this tire setup. With Thor, it can still easily spin them in first and second, but I do seem to have a bit more straight line traction. The difference is now the car doesnít seem to break loose quite as early as before (not sure if this is real or placebo), but when it does break loose, the car definitely doesnít intervene as much. You can feel them start to spin, but if you keep your foot down you can muscle through it at WOT and keep accelerating appropriately without the car cutting power (vs having to lift like without Thor). So did it magically give me traction? No, but it did make the power more usable which is about as much as you could ask for without bending the laws of physics. So this is also an awesome upgrade.

Euro MDM: This is a mild disappointment. I was hoping for a Porsche PSM level of sideways-ness, but I didnít get it. I tried several times to get sideways (like I was easily able to do in my 997S even with PSM on), but wasnít able to get as much as Iíd hoped. Itís probably a bit better than before, but nothing like some of the guys around here claim it is. I did go into a crappy vacant parking lot with some loose funk on the pavement, turned the wheel, and nailed it. With that, it immediately whipped around to almost full 90 which really shocked me. I gently lifted and counter-steered to correct it, and I was fine. I never tried that dramatic sort of move before the flash, so Iím unsure if it wouldíve done that in similar conditions with the OEM MDM tune. But again, in normal sort of conditions such as starting from a dead stop, pulling onto a street with the wheel turned and giving a solid amount of throttle, I was never able to get the back end to come around as much as I'd hoped or expected Euro MDM to allow it to.

All-in-all, itís def worth $100 and change. The steering alone is worth it. And the ability to spin the tires but still being able to power through the spin at WOT and eventually hook up (vs having to lift) is also great. Euro MDM is meh.

Hopefully this helps give you guys a sense of what to expect if you haven't pulled the trigger already.
-PCA Instructor #201804533
-F80 M3 6MT, BM3 GTS tune, Thor GTS tune, otherwise stock
-My F80 Build Thread https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1757458
-F30 EWG N55 M Sport xDrive 6MT, FBO, BM3 Stage 2 93oct, Bilstein B16 Damptronics
-My F30 Build Thread https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1739248
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 05:41 PM   #513
sna66
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83 SS on SS

Quote:
No. You shouldn't have to pay the dealer for this update!

Hey Trev I'm out of warranty and I don't think that they will do the update unless I pay, pls let me know if I'm wrong.

I'm not sure if THOR will resolve the "pull to right" issue since its not updating the software, just changing the parameters, but I got it anyways and will report back
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 06:21 PM   #514
Trevorstein
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sna66 View Post
Hey Trev I'm out of warranty and I don't think that they will do the update unless I pay, pls let me know if I'm wrong.

I'm not sure if THOR will resolve the "pull to right" issue since its not updating the software, just changing the parameters, but I got it anyways and will report back

It's a TSB. A known design/engineering flaw in the original steering DME.
It should easily be resolved with a firmware update & a dealer alignment.

Go to a different dealership, if yours wants to charge you for this,

Caveat - A firmware update can also be a whole other barrel of monkeys
as far as Coding/Flashing & Tunes go.

Decide where you want to go with your car and look into it thoroughly first.

Good Luck!

Cheers!

Last edited by Trevorstein; 11-27-2020 at 09:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 03:12 AM   #515
Chingylin
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelF80 View Post
Hi,

I noticed someone say about the launch improving, would that be cause of the LSD?

Could I combine XHP + Thor, the higher rpm on xhp is a must because I am into drag racing and down here in Dominican Republic we been focus on working the 60' lucho have already achieved 1.56 but currently working on been able to improve it.

Any info I'll appreciate it.

Thank you,
I'm curious if we can combine bm3+M flasher+XHP Flashtool
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 09:51 AM   #516
THOR_Flasher
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB-M3 View Post
I'm in the same boat, although my car is a 2017 but with a recent software update from BMW. I sent an email to their support address....crickets.
I'm very sorry. For you as well @Jeff

Unfortunately, there is no way to check if the vehicle is actually supported before it is attached.

But we are already working on a solution to this problem. If somebody bought the car and it does not work, the user will get his money back. I am aware of the fact that it is, of course, still awkward.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 10:09 AM   #517
THOR_Flasher
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYTSOUT View Post
After getting the Black Friday deal, I just flashed the GTS/"club sport" maps in Thor's Dynamic Package in my F80 6MT. It's 50F and overcast today, and my tires are MPSS in OEM sizes (255/275) on OEM 513M 18s. The car is currently tuned with the GTS map on BM3, but otherwise bone stock. Here are my thoughts...

Time: I used a DME-to-ethernet cable with an ethernet-to-iphone/lightning adapter, and the process was super fast with this setup. It took a few mins to create the username, password, input my voucher code, etc. But once all that was one, it only took about 5-6 mins to flash all three components which is awesome b/c I've heard it taking nearly 25 mins with the wifi adapter.

Steering: This is the most significant change. Itís DEFINITELY lighter AND more precise. And by ďlighterĒ I mean Sport Plus now feels like Comfort or maybe Sport used to. And Comfort is VERY light. I can easily turn the wheel with one finger. Precision is much better too. Gone is the dead spot in the middle. It almost feels like my 997S...almost.

LSD/overall traction: This was one of my primary concerns with (or at least hopes for a solution from?) Thor. While I love the torque of a tuned F80, I find it annoying that I can't put the power down or at least not with this tire setup. With Thor, it can still easily spin them in first and second, but I do seem to have a bit more straight line traction. The difference is now the car doesnít seem to break loose quite as early as before (not sure if this is real or placebo), but when it does break loose, the car definitely doesnít intervene as much. You can feel them start to spin, but if you keep your foot down you can muscle through it at WOT and keep accelerating appropriately without the car cutting power (vs having to lift like without Thor). So did it magically give me traction? No, but it did make the power more usable which is about as much as you could ask for without bending the laws of physics. So this is also an awesome upgrade.

Euro MDM: This is a mild disappointment. I was hoping for a Porsche PSM level of sideways-ness, but I didnít get it. I tried several times to get sideways (like I was easily able to do in my 997S even with PSM on), but wasnít able to get as much as Iíd hoped. Itís probably a bit better than before, but nothing like some of the guys around here claim it is. I did go into a crappy vacant parking lot with some loose funk on the pavement, turned the wheel, and nailed it. With that, it immediately whipped around to almost full 90 which really shocked me. I gently lifted and counter-steered to correct it, and I was fine. I never tried that dramatic sort of move before the flash, so Iím unsure if it wouldíve done that in similar conditions with the OEM MDM tune. But again, in normal sort of conditions such as starting from a dead stop, pulling onto a street with the wheel turned and giving a solid amount of throttle, I was never able to get the back end to come around as much as I'd hoped or expected Euro MDM to allow it to.

All-in-all, itís def worth $100 and change. The steering alone is worth it. And the ability to spin the tires but still being able to power through the spin at WOT and eventually hook up (vs having to lift) is also great. Euro MDM is meh.

Hopefully, this helps give you guys a sense of what to expect if you haven't pulled the trigger already.
thanks for the detailed review. We have to optimize the estimated time view because, at the moment, it shows you the maximum time for a flash with a standard D-Can Cable. ENET or MHD WiFi and our THOR WiFi adapter are much faster as well.

You wrote you flashed the whole dynamic package gts? Please try DSC/MDM and Limited Slip Differential CS
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 10:30 AM   #518
LYTSOUT
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THOR_Flasher View Post
thanks for the detailed review. We have to optimize the estimated time view because, at the moment, it shows you the maximum time for a flash with a standard D-Can Cable. ENET or MHD WiFi and our THOR WiFi adapter are much faster as well.

You wrote you flashed the whole dynamic package gts? Please try DSC/MDM and Limited Slip Differential CS
It's an awesome product so I'm happy to tell everyone about it. And yes, I got the Dynamic Package and just did the GTS maps across the board b/c I assumed they were the best.

Are you suggesting the CS maps for LSD/DSC/MDM will give me a bit more freedom to get the back end out? And if the CS map does allow me to get more sideways, will it take away any of the benefit that I'm noticing in straight-line traction/acceleration from the GTS maps?
-F30 EWG N55 M Sport xDrive 6MT, FBO, BM3 Stage 2 93oct, Bilstein B16 Damptronics
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2020, 02:25 PM   #519
THOR_Flasher
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYTSOUT View Post
It's an awesome product so I'm happy to tell everyone about it. And yes, I got the Dynamic Package and just did the GTS maps across the board b/c I assumed they were the best.

Are you suggesting the CS maps for LSD/DSC/MDM will give me a bit more freedom to get the back end out? And if the CS map does allow me to get more sideways, will it take away any of the benefit that I'm noticing in straight-line traction/acceleration from the GTS maps?
Thank you very much. I'm very pleased that you are happy with it. Yes, of course, the CS map does. You have to see this map as further development of the GTS map.

And by the way. If you like GTS better, you can always flash back to GTS.

Best
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 03:09 PM   #520
Spiff7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW F80 M3 ZCP

Just purchased the bundle. Do I need a Thor specific OBD or can use the Veepeak I have?
2008 E92 328xi (retired)
2001 E46 325xi (retired)
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 06:21 PM   #521
Jeremy Billiel
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiff7 View Post
Just purchased the bundle. Do I need a Thor specific OBD or can use the Veepeak I have?
You need a Thor WiFi dongle or an ENET cable and connector for your phone

11-27-2020, 07:49 PM   #522
Spiff7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Billiel View Post
Quote:
You need a Thor WiFi dongle or an ENET cable and connector for your phone
Of course. More money to spend 😂

Hope this is worth it.
2008 E92 328xi (retired)
2001 E46 325xi (retired)
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 10:44 PM   #523
Trevorstein
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Of course. More money to spend ��

Hope this is worth it.

You'd think you would have looked into and known this before your purchase?!?

11-27-2020, 10:50 PM   #524
Spiff7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Hope this is worth it.

All this coding/tuning is new to me. I got caught in the excitement of all these deals today. I'm sure I'll manage to figure it out.
2008 E92 328xi (retired)
2001 E46 325xi (retired)
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2020, 08:36 AM   #525
LYTSOUT
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hope this is worth it.

All this coding/tuning is new to me. I got caught in the excitement of all these deals today. I'm sure I'll manage to figure it out.
You'll need them for Bootmod3 so may as well get a set now. And yes, you definitely want Bootmod3 also 😬
Appreciate 1
Spiff796.50

11-28-2020, 12:47 PM   #526
Skysurferke
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw m3

Hello,
I bought the full flash package for my 2016 m3.
I also bought the thor wifi adapter .
Today i went on and tried to flash the dynamic package with the GTS map.
Diff took 3 minutes , eps about 6 and then DSC crashes after 5 minutes with only 3% done .
After that i tried to program only the DSC but it stops every time and goes super slow

Has anyone got the same problem ?
Any idea what i can do ?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 01:36 PM   #527
parabmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 m4

When I connect my car the thor app ask to allow to connect via usb
But when in the thor app I click the vehicle icon it says connection failed.

2018 m4 not sure of latest istep
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 02:03 PM   #528
Trevorstein
First Lieutenant
Rep

For all of those having problems...

* Check the strength (and consistency) of your Wi Fi connection.
-->Shut everything and everyone else down.
* Make sure that your e-net cable is properly connected to the OBDII port.

These two things are mostly always the culprit whenever I'm having issues.

Cheers!