Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

03-27-2017, 01:47 AM   #1
fakecanad
Rep
Drives: 2017 F82 M4

Question Keep my dash cam running during service 'test drives'?

Let me start off by saying I'm a very proud new owner of an Austin Yellow '17 M4. I'm a couple of weeks away from my break-in service (I'm at 1250km, break-in service is at 2000.)

I previously had a M135i, and i was always pretty confused/annoyed when my car would come back from a service with 10-20km more than when I handed it in. This happened on at least 3 services. I'm a racing instructor here in Dubai & Abu Dhabi and I don't like the idea of my car being driven by anyone else any more than necessary.

I've got a Garmin dash cam installed on the car, do you think my dealership would have an issue if I asked them to keep it running (especially while driving) while I hand it in for a service?

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 05:23 AM   #2
mynameisplayer
SCHNELL
Rep
Drives: F15 50i, E46, E90, Crafter van

Had my 2017 F80 ZCP in for said service 2 weeks ago. My salesman loaned a M125 for the hour or two I was waiting. Just happen to come out behind my car on the test run. While the tech had it in sport+ (pop, pop, burble...) he never gunned it, or punished the tyres. I made mention of this at the service desk, how professional he behaved - and I thought he might be a bit geek (enthusiast?) in putting it in sport+. My dealer is now third car deep, I trust them
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2017, 07:13 AM   #3
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

I trust my dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 08:21 AM   #4
Naz24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: W205 AMG C63 / E70 X5M

i wouldnt say anything unless it becomes a major problem (you notice tire wear or chips, etc).

Don't be "that" guy, dealers hate that

2017 C63
2012 X5M
SOLD: 2015 M3; 2007 X3 M Sport; 2014 X3 M Sport 35i; 2004 X5 4.4i; 1994 325i
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 04:29 AM   #5
Rusk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 DCT Tanzanite Blue

I had my M4 serviced recently and I also have a Dashcam installed. They turned it off every time they got in it, even just to move it round the yard.

When I got the car back I thought I would take a look just to see what they did and all there was on the card were clips of people getting in and turning it off and back on once they parked it up. No clips of the test drives, no clip of cleaning it and no clips of them working on the car.

It mostly doesn't both me but at the same time I'd like to know why they turned it off, is it to hide something? Would be very interesting to know if it is a dealer by dealer policy or just individual.
BMW M4 - Tanzanite Blue, Silverstone Full Merino Leather, M DCT, Comfort Access, Reversing Camera, Sun Protection Glass, Extended Storage, Armrest with sliding adjustment, Interior trim finisher - Pearl Chrome, Adaptive LED Headlights, High-Beam Assistant, Surround-View Camera, M Head-up Display, Harman/Kardon Surround Sound, Internet, Online Entertainment, Speed Limit Display, Piano Black Interior BMW Individual.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 11:37 PM   #6
fakecanad
Rep
Drives: 2017 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusk View Post
I had my M4 serviced recently and I also have a Dashcam installed. They turned it off every time they got in it, even just to move it round the yard.

When I got the car back I thought I would take a look just to see what they did and all there was on the card were clips of people getting in and turning it off and back on once they parked it up. No clips of the test drives, no clip of cleaning it and no clips of them working on the car.

It mostly doesn't both me but at the same time I'd like to know why they turned it off, is it to hide something? Would be very interesting to know if it is a dealer by dealer policy or just individual.
That would worry me a bit, I'm sure they have a reason but it is a bit suspicious. I don't mind them turning it off when they're in the garage or doing some work on it, I get that they don't want that filmed but on the roads they shouldn't need to turn it off.

I'm just going to mention that I'd like it running for the test drives. I'll report back with what they say.
Appreciate 0