GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

08-25-2016, 09:01 AM   #1
ClawHammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible SS/SS

Garage List
M Performance Lowering Kit for F83

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi All,

I've just had confirmation from BMW UK that the M Performance adjustable lowering spring kit that is in the pipeline has been delayed but will be released later this year. However, this kit will only be for the M3 and M4 coupe, NOT the convertible though. Currently BMW have no lowering spring kit planned for the F83.

This kit is a rebranded KW HAS kit so I'm now waiting to find out if my dealership will honour my warranty if I have them install the KW HAS kit. They've already verbally told me that they would void all mechanical parts of the warranty if I did this but I'm e-mailing the groups warranty guy directly for an definite answer now and written confirmation of exactly what they will and will not cover should I have the kit installed by a BMW technician.

Does anybody know if I can transfer the servicing and warranty to another dealership if mine won't play ball?
Cheers,

CH.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 06:19 PM   #2
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ 8ο ▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawHammer View Post
Hi All,

I've just had confirmation from BMW UK that the M Performance adjustable lowering spring kit that is in the pipeline has been delayed but will be released later this year. However, this kit will only be for the M3 and M4 coupe, NOT the convertible though. Currently BMW have no lowering spring kit planned for the F83.

This kit is a rebranded KW HAS kit so I'm now waiting to find out if my dealership will honour my warranty if I have them install the KW HAS kit. They've already verbally told me that they would void all mechanical parts of the warranty if I did this but I'm e-mailing the groups warranty guy directly for an definite answer now and written confirmation of exactly what they will and will not cover should I have the kit installed by a BMW technician.

Does anybody know if I can transfer the servicing and warranty to another dealership if mine won't play ball?
Cheers,

CH.
I don't know how it is in the UK. But here in the states, nobody is ever going to get a written guarantee of keeping your warranty in tact if you mod it with non-BMW parts. It's simple. You mod your suspension, that part of the warranty is void; not the other parts.

If you're worried about warranty, don't mod or just go with Dinan. Supposedly they will honor any warranty fixes that BMW denies.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2016, 09:18 PM   #3
ClawHammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by exo-shell
I don't know how it is in the UK. But here in the states, nobody is ever going to get a written guarantee of keeping your warranty in tact if you mod it with non-BMW parts. It's simple. You mod your suspension, that part of the warranty is void; not the other parts.

If you're worried about warranty, don't mod or just go with Dinan. Supposedly they will honor any warranty fixes that BMW denies.
This is how I expected the warranty to work but I was told verbally during a telephone conversation that any third party upgrade and they would void the entire mechanical warranty i.e. they'd only cover the electronics. This seems a bit extreme to me but I don't think the guy that said it knew what he was talking about hence contacting the warranty guy, as listed on the groups website, for a definitive answer.

I don't believe we have dinan her in the UK but we do have AC Schnitzer and they work the same way regarding warranties. Problem is they don't do a kit for the F83 either.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 09:50 PM   #4
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ 8ο ▉

Quote:
This is how I expected the warranty to work but I was told verbally during a telephone conversation that any third party upgrade and they would void the entire mechanical warranty i.e. they'd only cover the electronics. This seems a bit extreme to me but I don't think the guy that said it knew what he was talking about hence contacting the warranty guy, as listed on the groups website, for a definitive answer.

I don't believe we have dinan her in the UK but we do have AC Schnitzer and they work the same way regarding warranties. Problem is they don't do a kit for the F83 either.
Here in the states, it's more about consumer protection laws that won't allow manufacturers from doing a blanket warranty void. So they can't void warranty on say your transmission if you modded your suspension. However, if I have a problem with a control arm, they will have every right to deny your claim.

I'm not sure if you have those kinds of laws in the UK. I'm pretty sure you guys do though.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 10:09 PM   #5
ClawHammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Here in the states, it's more about consumer protection laws that won't allow manufacturers from doing a blanket warranty void. So they can't void warranty on say your transmission if you modded your suspension. However, if I have a problem with a control arm, they will have every right to deny your claim.

I'm not sure if you have those kinds of laws in the UK. I'm pretty sure you guys do though.
Yeah, I'm sure it's the same here too. I'm just trying to avoid a battle with the dealership should I have a warranty claim in the future. The guy that said all mechanical warranty will be voided is the guy I'd have to go through at the dealership in the event of a claim. If I can get this straightened out now it'll reduce the time without the car should problems occur in the future.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 08:31 AM   #6
m4282
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite Blue M4 w/Leather

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawHammer
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, I'm sure it's the same here too. I'm just trying to avoid a battle with the dealership should I have a warranty claim in the future. The guy that said all mechanical warranty will be voided is the guy I'd have to go through at the dealership in the event of a claim. If I can get this straightened out now it'll reduce the time without the car should problems occur in the future.
In the end you have to decide if that potential cost /charge is worth it. Most likely a Dinan suspension upgrade should be harmless "mostly" to your car as long as it's maintained and you also follow a "civilized" drop. The Dinan product I would think in general will be stronger than stock as the springs and components are thicker and made with better materials. Now I can't comment on impact from their engine MAPs or tunes but for suspension products it should be "ok" just my 2 cents....
Appreciate 0