Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > EUROPE (Continental)

03-28-2018, 04:44 PM   #1
oldschooler80s
Registered
Rep
Drives: M4

Relocating from USA to Germany with my M4

Hello BMW enthusiasts,

I am relocating from USA to Germany and sending my car with me, as a enthusiast I just can't let it go.

I had some questions about registration and N/A Spec with EU spec and registrations.

Well of course, first question would be has anyone done it? and second question would be what changes has to be done?

The N/A specs have the all red tail lights and the European specs have the orange markers, so do I need to change my tail lights? or can some DIY can be done?

I have read online that the car needs to pass thru TUV, are they difficult? according to them what changes should be done? and does any one have any contacts of a reasonable TUV?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 09:59 AM   #2
chriszach1
CHRISZACH1
Germany
Rep
Drives: 06 E90, 18 F80, 21 G05

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Are you coming over as Military or US Gov by chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschooler80s View Post
Hello BMW enthusiasts,

I am relocating from USA to Germany and sending my car with me, as a enthusiast I just can't let it go.

I had some questions about registration and N/A Spec with EU spec and registrations.

Well of course, first question would be has anyone done it? and second question would be what changes has to be done?

The N/A specs have the all red tail lights and the European specs have the orange markers, so do I need to change my tail lights? or can some DIY can be done?

I have read online that the car needs to pass thru TUV, are they difficult? according to them what changes should be done? and does any one have any contacts of a reasonable TUV?

Thanks!
Sakhir Orange II Metallic / Black Extended Merino Leather / M-DCT / Executive Package / Competition Package / Driver Assistant Package/ 20" Frozen Silver Edelweiss LT 5 wheels/ KW V3's/ Mosselman Stage 2 tune
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 04:22 PM   #3
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

I had converted my 4 series from US to EU specs and thats what to do:
Rear lights with orange turn screens or LCI lights with red screens but yellow bulbs. Also changed the headlights, changed the odo-scale from mph to km/h and you have to code the rear foglights, minimum the left side. Hence the M4 hasnt fogs and I dont know if US bimmers had a rear fog Switch or not, this has also to be added and coded as well. You would have a remaining failure Code beginning from this this to rechange of the headlight switch unit and every dealer would tell you that, well, ignore it, but important to know: After a Software update all coded settings are gone and so the rear fogs.
Also the orange reflectors at the front Fenders must be deleted and you Need numberplate holders EU style at front and rear.
After all mods you have to present you car at the German TÜV to a so called Paragraph 21 examination and after passing your car is legal for German traffic.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox

Last edited by Dang3r; 04-13-2018 at 04:31 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2018, 04:41 PM   #4
Sinnakle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 SO M4

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschooler80s View Post
Hello BMW enthusiasts,

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszach1 View Post
Are you coming over as Military or US Gov by chance?
This will make it easier to give advice. I didn't do this with my M4, but with my previous cars when I was stationed in Germany. I also bought a 370z over in Germany U.S. Spec. If it's for the U.S. Government/Military then you just have to meet some of the safety standards there like warning triangles, first-aid kit, and have roadside assistance (ADAC is the popular one). Then its the normal driver's license/insurance. When it comes to modifications it depends on the station you go through (if it is U.S. military/Government contracted).

The big ones I remembered that were a toss up are ride height and emission ones. A lot of people put on their stock stuff for inspection and then put on their mods after.
Appreciate 1
thurston214.00