BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

09-06-2020, 04:28 PM   #1
MrSmithlarr
Registered
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe in Yas Marina Blue

New Owner - Advice on Carbon Fibre add-ons

Hi All,

I bet this question has been asked 100s of times on this forum but just wanted to start a thread, have recently picked up my M4 in Yas Marina Blue and have just fallen in love. One thing that's bugging me though is the back of the car, at the mo it just seems to be missing something. Have seen plenty of pics online with M4s with carbon boot lids and splitters at the back. Was wondering if these are easy to fit yourself or would I be best to take it to someone to fit?

If anyone has fitted them before could link me some weblinks to where they ordered the parts from that would be great, if not if anyone knows anyone in the midlands area that can fit these for me then please let me know!

Thanks all, look forward to hearing back!!
MrSmithlarr.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 04:39 PM   #2
NSX2M4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP- RIVIAN R1S QUAD

Yes, they're easy to install IF you get oem. Nothing else fits right, I do not care what anyone else says here. Spoiler, diffuser, etc... Anything other than an oem M performance spoiler, your trunk springs aren't strong enough to raise the deck lid on it's own. Can't comment on oem CS spoiler as I don't like that style. Go OEM and never have any regrets.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11468.50
      09-06-2020, 06:47 PM   #3
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

Bought a Chinese diffuser and spoiler... regretted it after fitting them. Spoiler especially needs to be perfect because it's just too visible, any imperfections are noticeable.

I ended up buying an OEM spoiler. And just had the diffuser wrapped in black - I decided it was best to avoid it otherwise then I'd want the side skirts and lip to match, and you end up spending silly money on random CF bits.
Also IMO just feels 'fake' to put knockoff stuff on a car like this. I don't trust the Chinese stuff to have quality UV coating, you would only know after a few years...

Holding up the knockoff and OEM spoiler next to each other, the differences are clear. The knockoff is much heavier, the OEM is super light and flexible. The CF weave looked fine when viewed on it's own, but holding the OEM one next to it shows that it is superior.
The OEM one is just absolute perfection even under close scrutiny while the knockoff just has these niggling flaws.

IMO I'd rather make do with just one or two nice OEM addons than a pile of Chinese knockoffs.

Afraid I don't know the true source of the knockoffs I have as I bought them locally and I don't know the sellers supplier.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 06:29 PM   #4
Taco_Bueno
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM BMW M4 F82

For the most part people on this forum seem to think there are only 2 options: OEM and Chinese knock-offs...

My advice is look at some replica brands (XPH is my go-to) and you'll notice you can get quality CF parts that look just as good as OEM but are significantly cheaper

For example: I got the spoiler, lip, and skirts for around $1000 while OEM would have been north of $3000
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
PhatLyfe985.00
      09-09-2020, 09:55 AM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Hi OP you can install most of the carbon fiber add ons yourself, I do recommend asking a friend for help so one can align the product while the other secures it.

As Taco_Bueno mentioned we offer high-quality carbon fiber products at an unbeatable price

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 10:09 AM   #6
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX2M4 View Post
Yes, they're easy to install IF you get oem. Nothing else fits right, I do not care what anyone else says here. Spoiler, diffuser, etc... Anything other than an oem M performance spoiler, your trunk springs aren't strong enough to raise the deck lid on it's own. Can't comment on oem CS spoiler as I don't like that style. Go OEM and never have any regrets.
Not only do they not fit right, they aren't the same shape/design to begin with. I see aftermarket splitters and rear spoilers that look just horrible
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 01:47 PM   #7
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
I've added a bunch of carbon fiber parts for both the interior and exterior and I only buy the BMW parts. I bought the OEM CF rear spoiler, CF rear diffuser, and CF exhaust tips for the MPE and installed all of them myself. How easy they are to install is directly related to your DIY experience. Always make sure that you know exactly how things will fit before you commit to gluing/screwing things down. The diffuser is extremely easy to install because it's literally remove and replace.

Be aware that if you install any true CF diffuser you will lose the kick-to-open trunk release feature UNLESS you isolate/insulate the CF diffuser by installing plastic/nylon washers on either side of the diffuser when installing. There's a YouTube video that illustrates this. Skip to ~5:37 in the video to find the solution that actually worked. I have a comment in the Comments section that explains exactly what I used and how I did it.

Last edited by SD ///M4; 09-11-2020 at 04:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 02:08 PM   #8
EricP3
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 X3M Comp

we have a kick to open trunk feature? what the hell.
bmwbrad22249.00
      09-09-2020, 02:38 PM   #9
cionide
Second Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmithlarr View Post
Hi All,

I bet this question has been asked 100s of times on this forum but just wanted to start a thread, have recently picked up my M4 in Yas Marina Blue and have just fallen in love. One thing that's bugging me though is the back of the car, at the mo it just seems to be missing something. Have seen plenty of pics online with M4s with carbon boot lids and splitters at the back. Was wondering if these are easy to fit yourself or would I be best to take it to someone to fit?

If anyone has fitted them before could link me some weblinks to where they ordered the parts from that would be great, if not if anyone knows anyone in the midlands area that can fit these for me then please let me know!

Thanks all, look forward to hearing back!!
MrSmithlarr.
If you are in UK/Birmingham, you are in luck
https://carbonwurks.com/

I have the rear splitter from here, fitment was excellent. The installation was easy, took about 15 minutes
      09-09-2020, 09:20 PM   #10
tanmanbih
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 - YMB

First of all welcome! Not sure why people keep comparing knock off and OEM... it’s like they Want to compensate for what they don’t have lol! Anyways.. It only make sense that quality are not the same.. at the end of the day it’s your money. Do as you please. But of course when buying knockoff or replicas, you have to understand you get what you pay for..

for me, things that will get damaged such as a spltttee or lip idc about getting replicas. Who cares they get damaged anyways (Atleast in NYC). With that said I just purchased a diffuser from AliExpress. There’s a long thread where you can look up reviews from people.. quite happy with it, wouldn’t say it’s 10/10 but definitely looks good from 10 feet away. It’s one of those only you would really see the difference.. but to be honest I’m happy for the amount I spent..
Appreciate 1
SD ///M42992.00
      09-09-2020, 10:08 PM   #11
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricP3 View Post
we have a kick to open trunk feature? what the hell.
It helps to !

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 03:03 PM   #12
Dawg1998
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4 F83 COMP

I have an extra set of splitters and front bumper covers you can have if you pick them up! Here's the deal...you may get lucky and find some carbon bits that fit. I've ordered 4 parts (Aero something) off Amazon and have returned one and will give away the other 2. 25% success rate is not acceptable. The saying "buy once, cry once comes to mind" but I am very picky and slightly OCD. I was lured by the pricing of the cheap stuff and thought I'd try it out but have returned one rear spoiler & will give away the front splitters and bumper covers. I just ordered the m performance front splitters with the mat lip from Turner and will likely wrap the lip with 3M high gloss CF because I will crack a CF lip for certain. For some of the less complex shapes, you may be ok as the only part that fit was the rear bumper CF. However, if you can afford it, get the good stuff. Mirror caps are M performance and they are flawless. I've had solid experiences with autoteknic & IND for various parts. If you would make a list of all that you want to add, I'd be happy to provide some humble feedback. There is a place for mix and matching for sure and no shame in doing so. For me, if it's really inexpensive then I'm not buying it from now on. You also might consider reaching out to the forum sponsors as they are spot on with their guidance and can steer you in the right direction without wasting time and money...I should have done that from the beginning. Have fun with it regardless....upgrades are very fun.

My current CF list:

Exterior
1. Front Splitters - Ordered AeroBon Amazon - They are atrocious. I've ordered M Performance to replace them.
2. Front Bumper Covers - Ordered AeroBon Amazon - They are atrocious.
3. Rear Bumper Covers - Ordered AeroBon Amazon - They are good enough to leave on the car.
4. Mirrors - M Performance and worth every penny.
5. Rockers - M Performance
6. Diffuser - M Performance and came with the car.
7. Rear Spoiler - Ordered AeroBon Amazon - They are atrocious & returned without issue. I've put down $100 for the RKP which gets great reviews.
8. Rear Bumper Reflectors - I've order carbon fiber inserts from Autoteknic and waiting for them to ship.
9. Fender Trim - Ordered from Autoteknic and they fit super tight...passenger side is perfect...drivers side has a couple small stress cracks and that could be 100% on me and the install method. I wish they would sell them with the badge stickers because that part sucks so bad I leave them off.
10. Kidneys - Ordered CF outers and the M stripe inner and love the look and the price. I think I get them from german auto. The install should have been easy but I'm pretty certain I fatiguing the rail that holds the clip. It's very thin plastic and it can deform which I learned the hard way. Again, this is 100% on me but I have fun learning.
11. Door Handle - Autoteknic and waiting on shipment.
12. Front Reflectors - Autoteknic and arrived today...will install this weekend.
13. Exhaust Tips - This is a fun one...I took a chance on the Chinese CF wrapped flamed titanium inner and I absolutely love them. They stick out a bit too far due to the stock pin placement so I might cut/grind them off but if they hold up...wow...gorgeous. If they last a year or two, I'll gladly pay $330 every two years as the look is incredible.

Interior:
1. DCT Shift Cover - Bought a cheap one from amazon, threw it in the trash and ordered Autoteknic or Monaco.
2. Center Console - Autoteknic with CD and Alcantara...it's amazing...slight bow on the passenger side and I'm being a brat writing that.
3. Brake Handle - Autoteknic arrived today.
4. Start Button - Autoteknic arrived today.
5. Start Button Ring - Autoteknic (IND) and perfect black chrome that matches the interior.
6. Interior Door Handles (not the forward pull) - Autoteknic...I was really worried about this one and to my delight, it's the single best fitting product I've ordered. It fits so well, it looks like it came directly from the factory. I can't write enough positive praise to describe their manufacturing ability with this one.
7. Steering Wheel - M Performance with Alcantara and the flat bottom...simply gorgeous and my friend Patrick Kennedy at Kennedy Performance in Nashville did a flawless install. I could do this myself but it's tedious and I have a habit of breaking clips. ;-)
8. Paddle Shifters - Autoteknic Gloss CF with red "+/-" - Haven't installed them yet but the quality is superb.
9. M1 &M2 Buttons - Autoteknic...could be IND also...love em.
10. Audio - Bavsound stage I and II...installing in the next two weeks and then my audio shop will put in a sub.

I'm going to do some short videos on this one...just need to get my new house and garage in order first. If you have any questions, feel free to DM.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 03:09 PM   #13
Dawg1998
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4 F83 COMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX2M4 View Post
You may get lucky but my experience is
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 06:31 PM   #14
Curare86
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Everyone keeps comparing chinese crap and oem like there are no other options, but there are also plenty of high quality alternate brands with excellent finish and fitment if you want something a little diffrerent. Definitely agree you get what you pay for though. I have the sterckenn trunk lip and rkp diffuser which are both perfect. Just preferred their styling to oem, price wise is roughly equivalent. Front end i have oem stuff cos no knock off splitter i tried fitted well enough for my ocd . heres the ind thread on trunk lips as an example. Theyre expensive but sell top brands with excellent quality and fitment as a general rule. https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1536654
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 06:36 AM   #15
NSX2M4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP- RIVIAN R1S QUAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare86 View Post
Everyone keeps comparing chinese crap and oem like there are no other options, but there are also plenty of high quality alternate brands with excellent finish and fitment if you want something a little diffrerent. Definitely agree you get what you pay for though. I have the sterckenn trunk lip and rkp diffuser which are both perfect. Just preferred their styling to oem, price wise is roughly equivalent. Front end i have oem stuff cos no knock off splitter i tried fitted well enough for my ocd . heres the ind thread on trunk lips as an example. Theyre expensive but sell top brands with excellent quality and fitment as a general rule. https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1536654
I have an RKP front lip, while the lip quality is oem like the fitment was shit. Took a whole day fitting it and had to move all mounting points as they did not match up. If I knew that, I would have just gone oem m performance.
Appreciate 0