proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

08-16-2018, 09:54 AM   #1
Isdonisgood
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Comp LCI2

M3 VS C63

I know that most of the forum members have probably tested both cars and ended up with the M3. I'm just curious what are your opinions between both cars and why you guys ended up with the M3?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 03:54 PM   #2
agxr6
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 pure

I didn't test drive both before buying my m3, just wanted an m3 no matter what, in fact being from rural vic i didn't even have the opportunity to test or see an m3.
I have the only m3 in town, however a mate recently bought a c63s and gave me the keys for a few hours.
I'm surprised how different both cars can be when they are pitched right against each other.
I found the c63s to be stunning with the noises it makes, sounds really American old school muscle,
The m3 to me sounds like a tunned race car that doesn't care what the end sound was, i still love it but the merc will win many more fans there.
Performance wise the merc smashes the m3 below 4000 rpm, you can't hide the extra 150nm it makes, so for most people daily driving the merc feels much quicker. Rev them both out to red line and silly speeds the m3 doesn't loose anything in speed, and in fact might even sound bit angrier up top, it's crisper and also the way the dct shifts leaves the merc multi clutch auto way behind.
Next is sheer agility, go out on the highway doing about 120 k's and really work the steering side to side, m3 will put your passengers head through the side window it reacts so quickly to direction changes and sits super flat. Doing the same in the merc felt like doing it any any normal beemer with m kit, or merc with amg stickers. Reaction was much slower and it had body roll.
On the highway the roads out my way are pretty rough and the merc smoothed them out perfectly, in fact it felt close to a current 530d i recently drove 1000k's to Melbourne and back,
With the interior that's more subjective and there are good and bad points to both.
To me the m3 is a pure sports car with luxury blended in, which i absolutely love the rawness of but needs to be pushed hard to be really appreciated.
The c63s is a pure luxury car with sports blended in and its owner loves just as much. We are both really different people and i believe we both made the right choice.
One last thing, it's not that easy to distinguish a c63s from a c200d with an amg kit,
Park an m3 next to any 3 series and a blind man could pick the difference, makes them a bit more special i think.
Appreciate 1
MPoweRo428.00
      08-16-2018, 06:56 PM   #3
agxr6
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 pure

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 07:09 PM   #4
instarand
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by donovanluong View Post
I know that most of the forum members have probably tested both cars and ended up with the M3. I'm just curious what are your opinions between both cars and why you guys ended up with the M3?
Manual transmission. Plus - I think BMW's sweet spot is the M3. Mercedes sweet spot is the E class. I'd take an E63 over an M5.

But a C class vs the M3.... plus manual... easy choice. For me.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 08:08 PM   #5
Heyeug
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by agxr6 View Post
I didn't test drive both before buying my m3, just wanted an m3 no matter what, in fact being from rural vic i didn't even have the opportunity to test or see an m3.
I have the only m3 in town, however a mate recently bought a c63s and gave me the keys for a few hours.
I'm surprised how different both cars can be when they are pitched right against each other.
I found the c63s to be stunning with the noises it makes, sounds really American old school muscle,
The m3 to me sounds like a tunned race car that doesn't care what the end sound was, i still love it but the merc will win many more fans there.
Performance wise the merc smashes the m3 below 4000 rpm, you can't hide the extra 150nm it makes, so for most people daily driving the merc feels much quicker. Rev them both out to red line and silly speeds the m3 doesn't loose anything in speed, and in fact might even sound bit angrier up top, it's crisper and also the way the dct shifts leaves the merc multi clutch auto way behind.
Next is sheer agility, go out on the highway doing about 120 k's and really work the steering side to side, m3 will put your passengers head through the side window it reacts so quickly to direction changes and sits super flat. Doing the same in the merc felt like doing it any any normal beemer with m kit, or merc with amg stickers. Reaction was much slower and it had body roll.
On the highway the roads out my way are pretty rough and the merc smoothed them out perfectly, in fact it felt close to a current 530d i recently drove 1000k's to Melbourne and back,
With the interior that's more subjective and there are good and bad points to both.
To me the m3 is a pure sports car with luxury blended in, which i absolutely love the rawness of but needs to be pushed hard to be really appreciated.
The c63s is a pure luxury car with sports blended in and its owner loves just as much. We are both really different people and i believe we both made the right choice.
One last thing, it's not that easy to distinguish a c63s from a c200d with an amg kit,
Park an m3 next to any 3 series and a blind man could pick the difference, makes them a bit more special i think.
Thanks mate. Your review of both cars are spot on. I'm currently in the market for either one of those cars but I'm always bimmer biased. I currently drive an e90 m3 and will be trading up for either the c63s or f80 comp but I know where my heart lies..... just keeping my options open. Its just hard to leave the v8 scene after having driven one for so long.

Anyone moved from the S65 engines to the S55 engines and regretted it???
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 03:30 AM   #6
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Did anyone mention the M3 is waaaay cheaper?

And I had an e92 manual, a few cars back, I’d love to buy an new e92 in Manual with tech updates and ceramics now lol, awesome sounding and revving car, miss it.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 08:27 AM   #7
Isdonisgood
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Never got a chance to push a c63 around corners so not sure what they’re like but with all the weight it carries, no chance it would be as nimble as an m3. Not to mention mercedes salesman always want to bash on bmws for some reason?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 05:15 AM   #8
mmmmQuattro
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: f83 / E93 335 / E70 X5 40d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyeug View Post
I currently drive an e90 m3 and will be trading up for either the c63s or f80 comp but I know where my heart lies..... just keeping my options open. Its just hard to leave the v8 scene after having driven one for so long.

Anyone moved from the S65 engines to the S55 engines and regretted it???
yes - there have been plenty, just check the other forums. It's mainly around the sound. If you like that V8 sound, you are going to be sadly disappointed. Also, the next biggest complaint is the steering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine* View Post
Did anyone mention the M3 is waaaay cheaper?
That's due to the demand - when the M3/4 came out it was about $15k dearer, then BMW had to drop the price in order to make sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donovanluong View Post
Not to mention mercedes salesman always want to bash on bmws for some reason?
Mercedes salesmen love to do that, all the time. I can't stand the way they do that.
Generally, BMW sales guys tend to focus on how the car drives.
MB claim that they sell 3 to 1 C63 to M3, like that's a good thing - I mean, who wants to drive what looks like a standard C200 with 4 exhausts?

I had to zoom right in on that photo to see that it was a C63. Now I can't tell between a C43 and a C63, unless I see the badge.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 04:34 PM   #9
Isdonisgood
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmQuattro View Post
yes - there have been plenty, just check the other forums. It's mainly around the sound. If you like that V8 sound, you are going to be sadly disappointed. Also, the next biggest complaint is the steering.

That's due to the demand - when the M3/4 came out it was about $15k dearer, then BMW had to drop the price in order to make sales.

Mercedes salesmen love to do that, all the time. I can't stand the way they do that.
Generally, BMW sales guys tend to focus on how the car drives.
MB claim that they sell 3 to 1 C63 to M3, like that's a good thing - I mean, who wants to drive what looks like a standard C200 with 4 exhausts?

I had to zoom right in on that photo to see that it was a C63. Now I can't tell between a C43 and a C63, unless I see the badge.
Their General attitude is just typical salesman attitude. Goes on carsales, can't even tell the difference between LCI1 and LCI2 says its worth whole sale of $2 and quote you retail for their new car and shake their head at the huge price difference and say BMW hurting their customers. I mean surely we don't look like we were born yesterday.

I'd love to experience a C63 driving it hard to see how much it lacks in precision compared to an M3 just to see how much you are losing out with all that weight but unfortunately their test drives are literally down the road and back.
Appreciate 0