Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-16-2020, 03:04 AM   #1
Taran Rodrigues
Rep
Drives: bmw m2

Please help me diagnose an error with my car

Hello

My car was running perfectly with intake downpipe and bm3 S55 stage 2 91 ots map

then i installed the Vargas stage 2 GC+ turbos, and drove the car for around 5km (3miles) and did 3 pulls to see how the car was running and everything ran fine. I then switched off the car and started it a bit later and then tried to do a pull and the car would rev fine until around 4000 rpm and then completely cut power (error code "110001 cylinder injection shutdown: pressure too low in high-pressure system", this is the only error code i was getting)

I spoke to a few different people some say the fuel pumps have gone, but if i check the logs the fuel pumps keep pressure perfectly until the power cuts out.

another person said i must check for boost leaks, which i did and it doesn't seem to have any leaks, and in the logs the car does boost, but it takes a while, under 3500rpm the car is under boosting quite a lot, and then once it reaches power the car over boosts and then cuts the power. I also thought maybe the wastegates weren't adjusted properly, so i readjusted them, and still the same issue.

I then finally threw some octane booster in the car incase there was a problem with the fuel, and still the same thing

here are some logs of the car until the power cuts, i've tried a few different ots maps

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5e90...729b5e442214a9

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5e8f...90c626ae2e571f

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5e97...0b4305e27defe0 this is my most recent log
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 04:01 AM   #2
behindthen0thing
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

is your traction control off?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 04:06 AM   #3
Taran Rodrigues
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthen0thing View Post
is your traction control off?
It was in mdm.. but the car doesn't even break traction yet before it cuts.. even tried it in the higher gears such as gear 5
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 04:34 AM   #4
Taran Rodrigues
Rep

if anyone can help please let me know
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 11:34 AM   #5
MJ6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [10.00]
Might be a stupid question, but I didn't see it referenced in your OP.

I'm assuming you reflashed to a custom BM3 tune that's been adjusted to accommodate the turbo upgrade?

The only reason I ask is that if you're attempting to run an OTS map (you did say you had tried a few different OTS maps) which has been specifically adjusted to work with the OEM turbo's, and attempt to use that same map with turbo's of a different spec, there are bound to be issues. Under-boosting below the 3500k threshold on the new turbo's would make sense as the OTS tune expects to see an earlier boost profile based on the smaller size turbines. The over-boost situation would be very similar as the OTS tune doesn't expect to see the increased boost levels that the new turbo's would generate beyond a certain point.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 11:38 AM   #6
Taran Rodrigues
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ6 View Post
Might be a stupid question, but I didn't see it referenced in your OP.

I'm assuming you reflashed to a custom BM3 tune that's been adjusted to accommodate the turbo upgrade?

The only reason I ask is that if you're attempting to run an OTS map (which spec'd for the OEM turbo's) with turbo's of a different spec, there are going to be issues. Under-boosting below the 3500k threshold on the new turbo's would make sense as the OTS tune expects to see an earlier boost profile based on the smaller size turbines. The over-boost situation would be very similar as the OTS tune doesn't expect to see the increased boost levels that the new turbo's would generate beyond a certain point.
I did try the OTS hybrid map from bm3 and I'm still getting the same issue.. right now I can't do a custom tune due to our country being in lockdown.. but one of my friends has the exact same setup on he's car and he's car ran perfectly fine with the cs map.. and other OTS maps, but what you say does make sense.. but even even I run the OTS hybrid map the car is still not reaching boost target.. and then when it does reach the target it over boosts and cuts the power
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 11:50 AM   #7
MJ6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [10.00]
Honestly, to me it sounds like a tune issue at this point. Even though your friend may have installed the same setup, no two cars are exactly alike nor do they all respond in the same way.

My advice would be to reach out to some of the tuners on here (proTUNING Freaks, Halim@HCP, or any other number of knowledgeable BM3 wizards on the forum) and have them look over the logs. They'd be in a better position to determine if it's directly tune related or not, and might be able to help you work out the bugs.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 11:52 AM   #8
behindthen0thing
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taran Rodrigues View Post
I did try the OTS hybrid map from bm3 and I'm still getting the same issue.. right now I can't do a custom tune due to our country being in lockdown.. but one of my friends has the exact same setup on he's car and he's car ran perfectly fine with the cs map.. and other OTS maps, but what you say does make sense.. but even even I run the OTS hybrid map the car is still not reaching boost target.. and then when it does reach the target it over boosts and cuts the power
I can see whats happening in the logs, and that youve attempted several different maps.
The engine just seems to cut power at 4,000 rpm.

You should make sure the installer did the wastegate calibration after he put the turbos on. Also double check the install, and all the connections. You might want to try an online recode as well with BM3.
Also you can get a custom tune over the internet despite the lockdown.
I recomend Cary Jordan.

Check for any codes as well, maybe something as simple as a connector has been left off of a sensor.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 11:56 AM   #9
Taran Rodrigues
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ6 View Post
Honestly, to me it sounds like a tune issue at this point. Even though your friend may have installed the same setup, no two cars are exactly alike nor do they all respond in the same way.

My advice would be to reach out to some of the tuners on here (proTUNING Freaks, Halim@HCP, or any other number of knowledgeable BM3 wizards on the forum) and have them look over the logs.
I also thought it could just be a time issue..

I did contact protuningfreaks to ask them to help me.. and halim replied.. but with not any good information they just said "you definitely have a problem and you need to get the car checked out properly"
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 12:03 PM   #10
Taran Rodrigues
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthen0thing View Post
Quote:
I can see whats happening in the logs, and that youve attempted several different maps.
The engine just seems to cut power at 4,000 rpm.

You should make sure the installer did the wastegate calibration after he put the turbos on. Also double check the install, and all the connections. You might want to try an online recode as well with BM3.
Also you can get a custom tune over the internet despite the lockdown.
I recomend Cary Jordan.

Check for any codes as well, maybe something as simple as a connector has been left off of a sensor.
Yes I tried a few different maps even the stock map.. but still seem to get the same issue

At first the installer didn't do the wastegate recalibration but after I had the issue we did the recalibration and the car is still doing the same thing.. I've checked the installation over about 3 times now.. and everything seems to be correct

I might have to just try and do a full custom tune to see if that's the issue.. but I didn't want to do one right now because I still want to install methanol injection kit..

As regards to codes I'm only getting the 1 code 110001.. and no other codes.. I checked the codes through ista as well.. and it say I must test my fuel pumps and after testing them it says that there is no issue with the pumps.. both HPFP and LPFP.. I also thought maybe it could be the O2 sensors which I checked through ista as well.. and it says they working fine
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 12:28 PM   #11
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

I was going to suggest run an EKP diagnostic with ISTA/D, but looks like you’ve already done this part.

Check for:

1. Vapor in your fuel system

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...51251-9999.pdf

2. Check LPFP sensor for efficiency; replace as needed

3. Perform ISTA diagnostic test for your fuel injectors

PTF’s response isn’t unhelpful. This is not a tune related issue, IMO. Best to take the car to an independent shop for professional diagnostics.
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2020, 01:47 PM   #12
Taran Rodrigues
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedPiston View Post
I was going to suggest run an EKP diagnostic with ISTA/D, but looks like you've already done this part.

Check for:

1. Vapor in your fuel system

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...51251-9999.pdf

2. Check LPFP sensor for efficiency; replace as needed

3. Perform ISTA diagnostic test for your fuel injectors

PTF's response isn't unhelpful. This is not a tune related issue, IMO. Best to take the car to an independent shop for professional diagnostics.
Thank you.. I'll check those I didn't think to test the injectors hopefully that will help and give me some indication..

I would have already taken it to a professional shop, but obviously due to lockdown I'm not able to yet.. so that's why I'm trying to self diagnose so long
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2021, 10:11 PM   #13
techm4x
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw m4

hi did u ever resolve issue im having same problem 110001 as soon as i do full throttle ive replaced lpfp waiting on hpfp
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 04:21 AM   #14
Taran Rodrigues
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techm4x View Post
hi did u ever resolve issue im having same problem 110001 as soon as i do full throttle ive replaced lpfp waiting on hpfp
Yes I did resolve it i'll send you a pm
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 11:52 AM   #15
MJ6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [10.00]
Quote:
Yes I did resolve it i'll send you a pm
Glad to hear that you solved it man. Could you also post the solution and what you found here in the main thread?

As I'm sure others can attest too, nothing is more frustrating when you're searching for a solution than finding someone that fixed the exact same problem, but never posted how it was accomplished.

For Sale
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 07:24 PM   #16
Tommybo
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw f13 650i

Have you resolved this issue? Had the same issue
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 10:03 AM   #17
AbdullahMDM
Enlisted Member