Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

12-05-2022, 01:41 PM   #1
jefdarling32
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

F82 Bolt ons where to start

Just bought my first M4 a month ago and have been going back and forth where to start when it comes to bolt ons. In the past with other vehicles I typically go CAI, Exhaust, with tune. After my own research I am leaning towards going downpipes with high flow cats and tune to start out. Curious if anyone has any recommendation on where to start first? Also when it comes to tuning any recommendation on the best tunes out there would be great as well. Thank you!!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 01:47 PM   #2
F80RN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f80 m3/2016 x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefdarling32 View Post
Just bought my first M4 a month ago and have been going back and forth where to start when it comes to bolt ons. In the past with other vehicles I typically go CAI, Exhaust, with tune. After my own research I am leaning towards going downpipes with high flow cats and tune to start out. Curious if anyone has any recommendation on where to start first? Also when it comes to tuning any recommendation on the best tunes out there would be great as well. Thank you!!
I did the BM3 tunes, and PTF FlexFuel sensor. Originally had catless DPs but after I blew out an O2 sensor, I went back to stock.

Personally, I see no need for catless unless you're doing a custom tune and/or upgraded turbos. Even OTS is plenty fast for me.

Exhaust is more a matter of preference, but others with more knowledge can verify that.

No need for an intake. Just drop in filters are well enough.

Upgraded charge pipes I believe are worth the price. OEM ones can break.

Charge cooler can leak, so just be mindful of coolant levels. Either replace via FCP Euro or go with a well known Brand
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2022, 08:23 AM   #3
MineralWhiteF80
Dont listen to me
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82, E92 M3, G30 M550i, E46

The only real power adder for these cars is a tune and maybe a midpipe. All other bolt on parts like intake/exhaust give you sound improvement only.

Id go:

1. Bootmod3 Stage 1 or Stage 2 pump gas tune

2. Keep stock downpipes. Catless downpipes make the car smell, sound much louder, sound terribly raspy for minimal HP gains. Really not worth it unless you go upgraded turbos, race car, etc.

3. Replace the midpipe with either an Equal Length or single mid pipe. If you think the factory M4 exhaust sounds OK but want it louder, get the single mid pipe; if you think the stock m4 engine sounds not good, get the equal length resonated midpipe.

4. Open filter cone intakes sound awesome but give you no performance benefit. For sound, highly recommended- just make sure they are installed correctly to prevent check engine light for metered air codes etc.

5. Wheels, coilovers, front lip, skirts, diffuser of your choice.

Drive the car like that and see how you like it. If you want more exhaust sound, buy an axle back muffler to pair to whatever midpipe you bought.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 09:25 AM   #4
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

1) BMC drop-in filters, stock airboxes
2) Bootmod3 with Map Pack (all maps)
3) Get a CBC before loading Stage tunes
Done!

Then you'll need money for fat wheels & tires.

For custom tunes I prefer Paul Johnson (F80Paul). He's done 4 tunes across my F-platforms and all were great experiences.
      12-06-2022, 09:55 AM   #5
HotRodM4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Garage List
  [10.00]
I heard/read somewhere to consider getting more comfortable/better handling stock power with traction completely off before adding more power. Interesting perspective if anything.

Downpipe + tune is my plan after warranty here.
      12-06-2022, 10:07 AM   #6
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

If daily driver and want to keep as trouble free as possible, keep stock intake with drop in filters, keep factory downpipes, go moderate tune.

If going for max power, reinforce first (CBC), then look at the options of fueling, custom tunes, traction, turbos, etc.

I don’t know if there’s a magical “do this first” list out there. Also depends on personal finances and abilities vs shop time. Imho
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2022, 11:12 AM   #7
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp. SpecialEdition

Remove the charcoal filters in the stock airbox, Throw in Drop in Filter.

Downpipe and tune is about all you need.
      12-17-2022, 05:05 PM   #8
JipperII
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
If daily driver and want to keep as trouble free as possible, keep stock intake with drop in filters, keep factory downpipes, go moderate tune.

If going for max power, reinforce first (CBC), then look at the options of fueling, custom tunes, traction, turbos, etc.

I don’t know if there’s a magical “do this first” list out there. Also depends on personal finances and abilities vs shop time. Imho
This...

I went AA equal length mid pipes, stage 1 AA tune and about to put on a remus exhaust ....anything beyond that will require incremental adjustments to other components and not really worth the bang....as it is It's too much power to hook up in low gear.

I was actually going to do both a cai and downpipes but the cai loses power low and is literally just a sound play, the dpwnpipes with a stage two tune net like 20 more hp but no way worth the money if you go high flow cats...

Granted, I'm not racing or tracking, enjoy driving fast but nothing crazy
Appreciate 0