GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-01-2020, 07:33 PM   #1
MNR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

School me on benefits of HAS vs Springs (ZCP)

To preface: I've been reading for weeks on HAS kits, springs, and even coilovers. I've searched high and low and still haven't found a concrete answer to what I am looking for...

I am looking to lower my F80 ZCP modestly. I don't mind how the rear sits from the factory, but with its enormous front fender gap the front looks funky. I was originally going to go for springs (with an emphasis of a small-er drop and keeping OEM ride quality) but began reading about HAS kits.

My question is: what benefit do HAS kits provide aside from adjustability that justifies the cost of admission? I know BMW honors their factory warranty if using MPHAS kits, but what if this was taken away? Do they really perform that much better?

I am most concerned about keeping OEM-like ride quality (had bad experiences with springs in the past) and really want EDC settings to work/be different as well. The car will see spirited driving and little track time, but no track time at 10/10ths.

Would I be best suited for a set of springs or are HAS kits truly the best all around answer?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 08:19 PM   #2
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Don’t overthink this. There’s nothing inherently better about a HAS kit other than giving the ability to corner balance the car. It’s a big deal for track time, but that’s about it.

With that said, the spring rates of a particular HAS kit may be better than a particular lowering spring kit. In my experience, I had macht schnell springs, and now I have M performance HAS. I would never recommend MS spring kit after being on MP HAS. I’m at max drop in front, with very mild rear drop. Ride is night and day difference vs old springs. Don’t know if it’s due to being higher, the spring rates, or bump stops, but it is absolutely worth the extra money.

If I had to choose a spring kit all over again, it would be eibach v2. But MP HAS feels oem in all the right ways, and this is coming from someone who had bilstein b16 damptronic coil overs on the car before the switch.
Appreciate 1
TrauCon59.50
      01-04-2020, 07:28 AM   #3
MNR
Banned
Rep

Interesting thanks for the info. With the MS springs did you continue to notice a change in EDC modes or were they all similar? Any experience with other springs?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 07:52 AM   #4
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNR View Post
Interesting thanks for the info. With the MS springs did you continue to notice a change in EDC modes or were they all similar? Any experience with other springs?
Yes I did, but it didn’t matter. In my opinion, the rears were far too low, and the only thing I could think of was the rear was constantly riding the bump stops. The MS springs are comfortable, but that is most likely the problem with them. Rear drop is too much and spring rate is too soft.

I don’t have experience with other lowering springs besides MP HAS, which is in an entirely different league. It’s so well matched to the stock shocks, as it should be. But I also barely dropped the rear, 5-10mm. I think all these factors made the difference, which is why if MP HAS is in your budget, DEFINITELY get it.

Otherwise, find a spring kit that doesn’t lower the rear so much, like eibach V2. If you get really low springs, I promise you’re just going to spend even more to get something else installed later, like I and many others have.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 05:31 PM   #5
MNR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
Yes I did, but it didn’t matter. In my opinion, the rears were far too low, and the only thing I could think of was the rear was constantly riding the bump stops. The MS springs are comfortable, but that is most likely the problem with them. Rear drop is too much and spring rate is too soft.

I don’t have experience with other lowering springs besides MP HAS, which is in an entirely different league. It’s so well matched to the stock shocks, as it should be. But I also barely dropped the rear, 5-10mm. I think all these factors made the difference, which is why if MP HAS is in your budget, DEFINITELY get it.

Otherwise, find a spring kit that doesn’t lower the rear so much, like eibach V2. If you get really low springs, I promise you’re just going to spend even more to get something else installed later, like I and many others have.
Noted. Going to be going with MPHAS due to adjustability and lack of compromise. Appreciate the info!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 01:35 AM   #6
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Quote:
If I had to choose a spring kit all over again, it would be eibach v2. But MP HAS feels oem in all the right ways, and this is coming from someone who had bilstein b16 damptronic coil overs on the car before the switch.
Just curious - Why did you go from full coilovers back to stock shocks and MP HAS? Did you really find that stock shocks and HAS had a better combination of ride and handling than the Bilstein full coilover kit?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 08:11 AM   #7
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
Just curious - Why did you go from full coilovers back to stock shocks and MP HAS? Did you really find that stock shocks and HAS had a better combination of ride and handling than the Bilstein full coilover kit?
Yeah, I realize it sounds completely backwards, but there were a few reasons.

1. My wife couldn't tolerate the ride. B16D is stiff, even on 18s, no way around it. The amount of grip you get is amazing - no longer did my traction control cut throttle every single time I got on boost. But I bought the car to drive with other people, and it was useless to me if my wife wouldn't want to get in the car with me.

2. I put my car up for sale, and I found that it was less marketable because of the coil overs. I initially thought an M enthusiast might appreciate that the ~$4000 investment with installation already being done for them, but that just wasn't the case. After switching to MP HAS, I got way more interest. And since I'm selling the car anyways, doesn't matter to me if one is better than the other, I just want to sell something people want to buy.

MP HAS does not fix the fact that the stock shocks suck. TC always kicks in just like stock, and the big bumps at higher speeds still make you pucker up your behind. But at least other people will get back into my car now, and I can actually use it as a street car again until I sell it.
Appreciate 1
AlterZgo1537.50
      01-05-2020, 07:19 PM   #8
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Quote:
1. My wife couldn't tolerate the ride. B16D is stiff, even on 18s, no way around it.
That's very interesting. I didn't realize the B16Ds were so stiff. I am running Bilstein PSS10s and I have found them to be every bit as comfortable - perhaps even more comfortable than my stock OEM springs/shocks (this is base non-adjustable F80). However, I do run my car fairly high with about 2 finger gap in front and 1 finger gap in rear so that I get as much suspension travel as possible without the car having that hideous stock gigantic front wheel well gap.
Appreciate 0