European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

06-18-2019, 05:20 PM   #1
jrc92024
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235

Thumbs down Alignment botched, need input

In February my 2017 M4 convertible needed rear tires (17K miles). I was in a hurry so we went to BMW Encinitas and had an alignment done at the same time as I had bumped the right side on a curb (at the time no tiures showed signs of mis-alignment). The curb hit wasn't horrible but better safe than sorry given the price of tires, right?

Flash forward to last week (4K miles later), I noticed wear on the inner side of my right front tire so I went back to the dealer thinking it was just time for front tires too. Since the wear was on the inner edge I asked them to check the alignment again. A couple of hours later they called to say that BOTH rear tires were done for and the left rear had CORDS SHOWING. Of course they were blaming me for hitting either a curb or a pothole citing the existing curb rash.

After much argument they agreed to comp my the alignment and 1 rear tire (total about the same as 4 new ones from Discount tire without the 1 week lead time).

So when I check out the alignment results it shows BOTH rear tires out of alignment. So now I'm pissed, there is no way a pothole could have changed BOTH rear tires. Now I'm paranoid to drive my car although it settles the question of what to do when my lease is up in January, pity, I ordered the car as an individual build with the expectation that I would have it for a long time.

AM I justified in being pissed or are these cars that fragile that I should expect to replace tires after only 4,000 miles?

Any advice on how to escalate this to BMW USA?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 08:21 PM   #2
yayaya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi E92 N55

Id Just call BMW NA directly, this worked for me when I had to deal with a Porsche dealer being dumb, called Porsche NA and it was handled right away.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 01:48 PM   #3
Setright
Car Enthusiast
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 120i M-Sport 2022

I know I am bit late to this party, but anyway:

The rears wore away on the inner edges due to excessive camber (tilting inward). The left rear also showed a VERY large toe problem. This could accelerate the camber related wear, but surely be the cause of your front tyre problem. That large toe out-of-wack on the rear has been compensated for in the steering.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 01:56 PM   #4
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Of all the BMW dealers in the San Diego area, BMW of Encinitas are by far the worse! My first experience with a BMW dealer ever was in 2011 at BMW of Encinitas and I walked out of there and almost didn't buy a BMW! Rude, condescending, and when I told the salesperson that my wife and I wanted to do Euro Delivery, she basically walked away from us because we didn't want to buy the same car that they had in stock, but the wrong color. I tried them again in 2016 and 2019 and they refuse to deal on a price for Euro Delivery and they basically sell all of their cars at MSRP, take it or leave it.

I live in Rancho Penasquitos and have always taken our in-warranty cars to BMW of El Cajon for service. They have treated us as VIPs for 9 years now. The next best alternative is BMW of Escondido.

For non-warranty work that I can't do myself, I always take our cars to Independent Motorcars off Miramar road. Chris Keefer does all the maintenance on my Z4 M Roadster, does track inspections for my M4 and my wife's M3, and he installed the camber plates and springs on my M4, as well as the wheel alignment. Highly recommended!

Appreciate 0