GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

04-04-2017, 05:56 AM   #45
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
domino,
What is a clock spring ?
https://c1552172.ssl.cf0.rackcdn.com/713797_x800.jpg
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 11:36 AM   #46
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino_z View Post
https://c1552172.ssl.cf0.rackcdn.com/713797_x800.jpg
Still non the wiser
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 05:15 AM   #47
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Ok for those for had this fixed by dealer, 2 questions;

1) is the problem finally fixed?

2) given they have to peel back the leather from the seat back edges, is it going back on without any crinkles of creases?

My noise has gotten worse lately, to the point where it's clicking over every bump and none of my previous diy fixes is sorting it

Plan to go to the dealer with this thread and discuss options to fix
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 05:52 AM   #48
Lambros
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park89 View Post
I know there are several posts about this issue but i'm going to post it again anyway.

In my opinion, this is big issue for such a car worth $80K+ making this kind of stupid noises. Even my old 2015 ford fusion did not make any noises like this.

Basically, It's the center console plastic trim area (back seats) that is making this ticking sounds whenever I accelerate + going over uneven pavements. So basically ticking sound exists 24/7 & ringing behind my ears.
This drives me nuts!!
I don't even wanna drive the car anymore because of this noises..
its that bad..

I took the car into the dealership 2 weeks ago because of this issue and i found out they sprayed something on that specific plastic trim area, probably DW-40, (both driver & passenger back seats) and the ticking noise was gone 100% and started to come back within the day or two and now it's 9999999% back again and i think it got worse.

That noise immediately goes away when i put my hands around that center console and apply some pressure.

Anyway, I'm going back there this Saturday to fix this issue and plus of course the door rattling sound.. JESUS CHRIST!! and i'll see what happens.

I will keep you guys posted if i get any updates.

Please advise me if anyone of you have experienced similar issue and knows the solution to kill the stupid noises.

Thanks!
I agree with you made,In my opinion, this is big issue for such a car worth 95euros+ making this kind of stupid noises my old Land Cruiser did not make any noises like this for an off road car,BMW must fix these problems asap because they will loose customers,since I am also experienced the same problems also my seat is got a saggy.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 06:22 AM   #49
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: '20 X3M Competition

Is this issue likely to remain if the center back of the seats is leather wrapped?

I've seen a few individual cars where people do this - I imagine you could do this aftermarket to match.

Can only imagine how bad it is when fitting the Carbon seat backs which are pretty popular.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 07:45 AM   #50
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Had my local dealer acknowledge the sound, they very good about it

Assured me removing the leather isn't a big deal, so I'll let them have a go at fixing it
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 06:18 AM   #51
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I just had this fixed by my dealer - driven a good 2 hours and so far so good

The problem was explained to me as the top seat back hook slipping/clicking back off the metal frame when putting pressure into the seat back - given how the sound was being replicated by pushing back into the seat, then pushing the seatback forward and hearing it click back in place, this explanation seems realistic

The actual fix was re-positioning the seat back to sit a touch lower, and also application of thick tape on the metal frame to help the plastic hook to grip better

Imo this is more of a problem on the zcp as the holes on the seat allow for the seat back to flex more when pushing back into the seat

Also my concerns about peeling the leather back proved to be unfounded as everything went back with no visible issues

Pics taken from MR-gadget4 thread to highlight the problem area (not my pics - i have an f80 zcp)
Attached Images

Last edited by domino_z; 05-02-2017 at 08:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 10:15 AM   #52
Park89
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

The problem was explained to me as the top seat back hook slipping/clicking back off the metal frame when putting pressure into the seat back - given how the sound was being replicated by pushing back into the seat, then pushing the seatback forward and hearing it click back in place, this explanation seems realistic

The actual fix was re-positioning the seat back to sit a touch lower, and also application of thick tape on the metal frame to help the plastic hook to grip better

Imo this is more of a problem on the zcp as the holes on the seat allow for the seat back to flex more when pushing back into the seat

Also my concerns about peeling the leather back proved to be unfounded as everything went back with no visible issues

Pics taken from MR-gadget4 thread and I've highlighted the problem area
Awesome Bro, i'll print this out and take it to the dealer to do the job.
Let me know if you hear any sounds mate.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 10:27 AM   #53
Park89
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Pics taken from MR-gadget4 thread and I've highlighted the problem area
By the way, the picture shown below is not the ZCP seat picture? i thought your car was ZCP Seat though? (I don't see holes. lol)
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 08:02 PM   #54
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park89 View Post
By the way, the picture shown below is not the ZCP seat picture? i thought your car was ZCP Seat though? (I don't see holes. lol)
yeh those aren't my pics, i got them from another thread just to illustrate, the seat back hooks are same for both
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 01:10 AM   #55
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

A good week in now and the main clicking noise from pushing into the seat back is gone

But there is minor clicking that has come back, this is coming from pushing sideways into the seat back bolsters and having the seatback twist/stress

This is just going to have to be one of those things you live with I think, I'm putting this down to design flaw by putting 2 holes into a seat back and not redesigning/strengthening the original mounting points

edit! this minor clicking has gotten worse and is coming from every side of the seatback, hearing it up high in my right ear, lower down, it's the same exact noise from multiple angles - i have a feeling it might be the actual seat frame, so another trip back to the dealer for their advise

Last edited by domino_z; 05-08-2017 at 11:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 08:30 PM   #56
M3 n X5M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 M, 2008 e90 M3 6 MT.

I am thinking of a ZCP M3 or M4 next year.
Is this seat issue affecting everyone? Maybe it is weight dependent - the ZCP seats look like for a lightweight pro race car driver. I drove a ZCP and my 180 lb build felt near the seat's limit.

I am really looking forward to a ZCP. The burbling note and tight suspension were awesome. I hope these kinks get worked out for next year.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 07:26 AM   #57
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

my dealer is going back in for take 2 - they seem to know how the sound is being produced

i'm 155lbs so it's definitely not a weight issue, it's just a design flaw and seems to be random as my passenger seat is fine
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 01:21 AM   #58
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

ended up replacing the seat back, the third attempt now

lasted about 50km before the clicking sound came back over bumps where the seatback is twisting in motion

definitely something within the seat frame and cushioning i rekon - somewhere in the green zone

going to have to bust out the focal bam and felt tape and diy fix this now
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 03:43 PM   #59
Park89
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
ended up replacing the seat back, the third attempt now

lasted about 50km before the clicking sound came back over bumps where the seatback is twisting in motion

definitely something within the seat frame and cushioning i rekon - somewhere in the green zone

going to have to bust out the focal bam and felt tape and diy fix this now
Damn mate.. you still fighting over this issue? Sucks..
I'm having "zero" ticking sound. Perhaps, it's temp related. The weather here in NY is btw mid 70's - 90's. I had few ticking sound after they felt tape the shit out of the seat and now it seems like the seat finally adopted it. No more sounds from the seat so far (zero noises for approx. 4 months) I'm crossing my finger it won't make any ticking noises for the upcoming winter.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 07:24 PM   #60
wrussell1992
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CP

2020 M4 ZCP checking in. Have this issue on my drivers side less than 600 miles on the car. Will bring it up at service but good god this car has so many rattles and creaks for a brand new vehicle. I thought by MY 2020 this stuff would be worked out!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 03:43 AM   #61
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

It's been a while, my fix ended up being covering every visible inch of the metal seat back frame with felt tape, and also running felt along the channel of the plastic seat back itself where the leather clips in

Can't be sure which fixed it, but it's been 2 years now without it coming back

This car has been a constant battle of chase rattles, some I don't even bother anymore, hit another bad bit of road and they go away again - they def don't make them like they used too
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 04:24 AM   #62
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
It's been a while, my fix ended up being covering every visible inch of the metal seat back frame with felt tape, and also running felt along the channel of the plastic seat back itself where the leather clips in

Can't be sure which fixed it, but it's been 2 years now without it coming back

This car has been a constant battle of chase rattles, some I don't even bother anymore, hit another bad bit of road and they go away again - they def don't make them like they used too
Check your VIN and see if it was built on Friday or after some holidays
      11-19-2019, 09:02 AM   #63
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

One thing you guys should also check out is the seat belt buckle that is next to center console. I noticed a creaking sound from my comp m3 early on that would come and go depending on how I moved around in the seat. Turns out it was the buckle rubbing against the lower seat cushion just enough to squeak. I ended up putting a piece of velcro (fuzzy side) on the buckle and it resolved it for me. I've actually seen some cars come with this installed to minimize any rubbing there.
      07-13-2021, 07:20 AM   #64
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Sorry for digging up such an old thread, but I just wanted to thank all of you for sharing the information.
I've been suffering from this dreaded creaking noise on my M2C seat.
Following the instructions, I've pulled the seat back and wrapped the upper metal parts and seat back grooves(where the leather engages to) with electrical tape.

The noise is now 99% gone!
I do get a click every now and then but it's nothing compared to what I had before.
I really appreciate y'all sharing the remedy/information!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 07:07 PM   #65
Mortis
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater4me View Post
Sorry for digging up such an old thread, but I just wanted to thank all of you for sharing the information.
Following the instructions, I've pulled the seat back and wrapped the upper metal parts and seat back grooves(where the leather engages to) with electrical tape.

I do get a click every now and then but it's nothing compared to what I had before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater4me View Post

Very happy I found this thread - I have the same noises. Could you explain how you removed the seat back ? Thanks !
Appreciate 0