European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-14-2013, 03:07 AM   #23
Chill72
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 E92 M3 (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolag View Post
The last-gen Boss 302 was a very formidable opponent for the E9x M3. With better suspension, the next-gen Boss can only be better. The only thing that drove me away from a Mustang was the interior, but it's still a great 'sportscar.'
I am not denying its performance at all. I was simply implying that if someone wants all kinds of mechanical sounds and noises tranmitted inside the cabin then that is the car you should look at. Interior...let's not talk about it.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 08:47 AM   #24
jbockrd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 Alpine White/Carbon M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEm View Post
You have to have skin in the game to have a relevant discussion and want someone to hear your opinion.

I could be wrong here, but my guess is generally folks who complain about the new M3 are current E9XM owners who are not lining up with a deposit at their local dealer - regardless of the powerplant or artificial noise.

Again, they have no skin in the game. None of us do frankly, unless your deposit is in.

Sounds alot like the S54 purists who hated the S65 V8 idea. It is all crickets from that bunch in 2013.
I was just thinking of that on my drive home last night!!!!!!! I remember all those who poopoo'd the V8 idea. Now where are they? Bitching about something else I'm sure. I love my e92, but with 85k miles I need to move on. I am optimistic that the M guys know more than I do and these race driver consultants seem to enjoy the car, so I am sure I will like it all the more.
      11-14-2013, 09:08 AM   #25
Minator
Whatever
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 DCT '09 E92m3 sold

Lets take a poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEm View Post
You have to have skin in the game to have a relevant discussion and want someone to hear your opinion.

I could be wrong here, but my guess is generally folks who complain about the new M3 are current E9XM owners who are not lining up with a deposit at their local dealer - regardless of the powerplant or artificial noise.

Again, they have no skin in the game. None of us do frankly, unless your deposit is in.

Sounds alot like the S54 purists who hated the S65 V8 idea. It is all crickets from that bunch in 2013.
It make no difference what car I currently drive..lets poll the 911 forum and see what they think about amped up engine noise?

BTW...this is probabbly going to drive the service departments crazy...people bitched about evey little noise their S65 made I cannot wait till you take your service tech out to demonstrate a strange noise and he/she tells you to turn up the stereo....

I see caddy is doing the same thing in the new ATS.....must be a FI thing...
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 03:34 PM   #26
Judah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtoM
its just people desperately trying reasons to bitch and moan about something they weren't going to buy anyway and claiming that is the reason.
Agreed...

Mclaren and Porsche do it as well, in a slightly different way but nonetheless, no one seems to complain about them.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 11:30 PM   #27
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Simple question is, why won't BMW let us choose if we want it on or now? We get all these no sense adjustments we can make, why not add another one?

Why would anyone want to amplify this lawn mower sound?? I'm REALLY hoping one can tune/code this cold start out!!!

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 12:40 AM   #28
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Jesus, everyone in this thread thinks the other side has some secret ulterior motive behind their opinion.

Personally, I don't like the principle of it. I don't like that the cabin is so isolated that they have to pump in the sound electronically. I will say that this system, if there truly is no modification of the sound, is better than that in the M5 and M6. I'm not really a fan of sound tubes either, but those just feel less wrong to me (don't ask why I feel that way, because I couldn't tell you). I own neither a E9X M3 nor do I have a deposit down on a F80 M3. And quite frankly I don't ever really have the desire to own either at any point down the road. If you just put a down payment on an F80, or just decided to keep your E9X, I'm happy for you. But those car's aren't for me. And I am coming to the conclusion that no new BMW is for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 09:56 AM   #29
basscadet
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
And I am coming to the conclusion that no new BMW is for me.
So what new car is for you?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 10:17 AM   #30
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by basscadet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
And I am coming to the conclusion that no new BMW is for me.
So what new car is for you?
Great question actually. I'm not quite sure. Maybe I am forever destined to be driving late 90's-mid 00's BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #31
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

I dont understand the thought of guys with older models are the only ones bitching. Im pretty sure we dont have to complain about the new one to justify our purchase. I think the new model looks great will perform great and will be part of my stable in the future. Doesnt mean i cant not like something on it. No car is perfect. I prefer naturally aspirated cars - the instantaneous throttle response, the linear power delivery, the induction noise. Other than that, the new car is a beast. I dont have to blindly like everything of any one thing do i?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #32
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

i love my E92 m3, i think its one of the best cars BMW has ever made. the thing the E90 M and E60 Ms are going to be known for is there high revving and sound. which is something i love

i am not a BMW enthusiast i do not buy only BMW. i am not sitting here saying i want my M3 for many years. cuz i dont, its going to get dated. but that doesn't mean i want a M4.

to many other cars coming out that are keeping things i like. for example i would love to pick up a slightly used Viper V10 or maybe the new C63 AMG with the TT V8. thats the direction i am going.

these new M engines sound like shit, which is why they need to be enhanced.... screw that

its the principal.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 12:37 PM   #33
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
I suspect that all the soundproofing/isolation work means that BMW has figured out most people want a quiet cabin so they can hear conversation or their upgraded stereo. After all, this car is for luxury/premium buyers, not pure no-frills adrenaline junkies. I have a quiet cabin on my 550, but now I can't hear the engine. I want the option to hear the engine or not, which is why the new tech sounds good to me. Just make it something I can turn on/off in M-mode please.

Along those lines, can't wait for RPM in the HUD...
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #34
Chill72
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
i love my E92 m3, i think its one of the best cars BMW has ever made. the thing the E90 M and E60 Ms are going to be known for is there high revving and sound. which is something i love

i am not a BMW enthusiast i do not buy only BMW. i am not sitting here saying i want my M3 for many years. cuz i dont, its going to get dated. but that doesn't mean i want a M4.

to many other cars coming out that are keeping things i like. for example i would love to pick up a slightly used Viper V10 or maybe the new C63 AMG with the TT V8. thats the direction i am going.

these new M engines sound like shit, which is why they need to be enhanced.... screw that

its the principal.
Based on this drivel you just posted, you should be driving C63 AMG which is easily the best sounding car out of M3/RS5/IS-F bunch.

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 01:43 PM   #35
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill72 View Post
Based on this drivel you just posted, you should be driving C63 AMG which is easily the best sounding car out of M3/RS5/IS-F bunch.

while i agree it may produce a great exhaust sound. i really have a thing for the induction sound of the S65. its more of a exotic feel with the high revving and induction sound.

i have a lot of love for the S65. more so than a big benz V8. although i still think the 6.2L is pretty nice. the S65 strikes me as something more special .

my favorite engine of BMW is the S85 though.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #36
Chill72
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
while i agree it may produce a great exhaust sound. i really have a thing for the induction sound of the S65. its more of a exotic feel with the high revving and induction sound.

i have a lot of love for the S65. more so than a big benz V8. although i still think the 6.2L is pretty nice. the S65 strikes me as something more special .

Fair enough, I would agree that S65 is second best sounding out of the direct competitors.

Every time I see C63 at the track and I hear it thunder down the straightaway I get goose bumps.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 07:00 PM   #37
ZGM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

I may not be a huge fan of the idea of artificial engine noises being pumped thru a speaker into the cabin on some makes, but its no huge deal, owners that don't like the artificial sound can usually pull the fuse or turn it off thru an aftermarket diagnostic system.

I am sure that there are many people that would scoff at the idea if Kia decided to pump artificial engine sounds into a vehicle that was marketed as a sports car that might have 178HP..

Last edited by ZGM3; 11-15-2013 at 07:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 07:16 PM   #38
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill72
Quote:

Fair enough, I would agree that S65 is second best sounding out of the direct competitors.

Every time I see C63 at the track and I hear it thunder down the straightaway I get goose bumps.
Wait. It should be behind you at all times though!!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #39
Minator
Whatever
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 DCT '09 E92m3 sold

Just be quiet all of you I can't hear my mind!

solution is a LED button on the dash that turns the crazy thing off just like US start/stop button...then everyone is happy!

I don't understand other post that state BMW is responding to customers wanting quiet cabins and then pump in engine noise???

I'm sure the F80 will be a good car once sorted by 2017..they will propbably have a M exhaust available by then.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 02:28 PM   #40
Chill72
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post

I was talking about hanging out in the stand in-between the sessions. Come to think of it I never came across a C63 on the track.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #41
basscadet
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 08:47 PM   #42
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion5 View Post
I really don't understand why so many people seem bothered by this. I've heard it far too many times.

As we know there is a microphone in the engine bay that picks up the sound of the engine and pumps it through the speakers. This saves weight over an firewall sound port, creates clearer sound and results in lower road noise.
Yes...Saves a whole 10 lbs.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 11:24 AM   #43
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill72
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post

I was talking about hanging out in the stand in-between the sessions. Come to think of it I never came across a C63 on the track.
Haha. Ive seen one guy and was impressed. I am also thoroughly impressed everytime one passes me on the road even at 2000rpms. They do sound nice.

But i also love the way the m3 screams at high rpms vs how the c63 roars at high rpms (if that makes sense).
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #44
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion5 View Post
I really don't understand why so many people seem bothered by this. I've heard it far too many times.

As we know there is a microphone in the engine bay that picks up the sound of the engine and pumps it through the speakers. This saves weight over an firewall sound port, creates clearer sound and results in lower road noise.
Yes...Saves a whole 10 lbs.
Socom. Dont worry. Apparently there are ppl on here with very accurate butt dynos that can tell a difference between 5 lbft of torque and 10lbs of additional weight. I am truly amazed by this phenomena.
Appreciate 0