Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

07-29-2022, 01:40 PM   #45
njavier03
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
I ran stage 1 93 for a while. Then went back to the CS+ . personally i like linear power delivery more than a lump of torque down low. with stage 1 you usually wouldn't even have to downshift on the street or highway just because there was so much torque down low. it did make it trickier to drive to the lag these cars have. though euro-mdm helps a bit with that.

my crankhub was fine for 10k miles before i sold the car

the clutch was starting to act funny though. when warmed up the car would sort of 'bog / stutter' for a split second when setting off from a stop. makes sense that extra power will wear your clutch out sooner than later.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1359595
see that's what my concern was for BM3. most tunes just bump the low end tq so your car feels much faster. in reality, you're not REALLY making that much more power. they do have a tq reduction feature though, that can mitigate the low end surge. still feels janky to have to do that instead of a proper tune from the beginning.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2022, 04:32 PM   #46
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by njavier03 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
I ran stage 1 93 for a while. Then went back to the CS+ . personally i like linear power delivery more than a lump of torque down low. with stage 1 you usually wouldn't even have to downshift on the street or highway just because there was so much torque down low. it did make it trickier to drive to the lag these cars have. though euro-mdm helps a bit with that.

my crankhub was fine for 10k miles before i sold the car

the clutch was starting to act funny though. when warmed up the car would sort of 'bog / stutter' for a split second when setting off from a stop. makes sense that extra power will wear your clutch out sooner than later.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1359595
see that's what my concern was for BM3. most tunes just bump the low end tq so your car feels much faster. in reality, you're not REALLY making that much more power. they do have a tq reduction feature though, that can mitigate the low end surge. still feels janky to have to do that instead of a proper tune from the beginning.
That's how some boxes work, but a BM3 tune surely adds power across the board.
Red/Green is Stock
Peach/Purple is GTS
Blue/Gray is a Stage 1 on 93
Attached Images

07-30-2022, 09:50 AM   #47
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

I like the Carbahn because it emphasizes the oem safety features still being present to minimize any unforeseen damage.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 04:53 PM   #48
Fat Goose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F83 ZCP 6MT | F/A-18E

Quote:
Originally Posted by icegrill View Post
I like the Carbahn because it emphasizes the oem safety features still being present to minimize any unforeseen damage.
AND doesn’t require a different map for each pump octane gas, lower end timing
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 08:28 AM   #49
Bettertomorrow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F83 M4

I had similar goal as OP, 500 rwhp and call it a day but I don't think I am quite there yet. In any case, I have been happy with MHD. Fleshing time of less than 30 seconds using my iPhone is always a plus. They always got back to me within a day when I had questions.

With that said, it seemed that MHD Stage 2 and BM3 Stage 1 seem to have similar peak boost at around 22.5 (at least my MHD stage 2 vs another member's BM3 Stage 1). I wonder what peak boost BM3 runs at Stage 2. I thought about trying out BM3 but longer fleshing time concerned me, I would not want to bother with battery charger.

Integrated flexfuel is next on the list. Just not convinced if it will be worth the trouble. Good luck with your journey!
15 BMW F83 M4, MHD Stage 2, CBC, xHP Stage 2, ADD W1 Catchcan, AA Single Mid, Eibach Pro, 12.5mm spacers, BMC drop-in with charcoal removed, other misc/cosmetics (Alpha 1 speakers, all exterior LED light bulbs, ambient light upgrade-center console/doors, Hardwired Garmin Dashcam)
15 BMW X3 x35i
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 10:22 AM   #50
M 4 FUN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320 Si, M4 comp. M3 E46

Hi.
I run the Bootmod stage 2 93 octane map in my 6-speed M4 comp.
The best with this tune is the possibility to adjust the power/torque output.
I found the car too messy to drive with full torque so i reduced torque by 20% in all gears. Much better! I think you are slower around a track with full torque settings than with reduction. It just spin up the tires and makes the car hard to control.
I run with everything else stock. Stock downpipes, stock plugs and all, only M performance exhaust. I dynoed my car last year and got 498 hp and 620 Nm of torque at the wheels with 20% reduction.
. 573hp and 713 Nm at the crank. As a comparison we also dynoed my friends M3 comp with catless downpipes and on E30 map. That gave 16hp more than my car so no big difference, which also shows that the stock downpipes flows very good. The only thing i don't like is that the car is a bit on and off on the throttle in sport and sport plus mode in city traffic.
Reducing torque is good for many things. Driveability, clutch life, drivetrain life in general, grip and if you believe in that power output affects the camchain it's good for the crankhub too .

Last edited by M 4 FUN; 08-01-2022 at 10:44 AM..
Appreciate 3
TopJimmy5458.50
      08-01-2022, 11:14 AM   #51
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by M 4 FUN View Post
Hi.
I run the Bootmod stage 2 93 octane map in my 6-speed M4 comp.
The best with this tune is the possibility to adjust the power/torque output.
I found the car too messy to drive with full torque so i reduced torque by 20% in all gears. Much better! I think you are slower around a track with full torque settings than with reduction. It just spin up the tires and makes the car hard to control.
I run with everything else stock. Stock downpipes, stock plugs and all, only M performance exhaust. I dynoed my car last year and got 498 hp and 620 Nm of torque at the wheels with 20% reduction.
. 573hp and 713 Nm at the crank. As a comparison we also dynoed my friends M3 comp with catless downpipes and on E30 map. That gave 16hp more than my car so no big difference, which also shows that the stock downpipes flows very good. The only thing i don't like is that the car is a bit on and off on the throttle in sport and sport plus mode in city traffic.
Reducing torque is good for many things. Driveability, clutch life, drivetrain life in general, grip and if you believe in that power output affects the camchain it's good for the crankhub too .

This is the smart move using TQ reduction on a Stage tune. I recall a post by Halim where he did the 20% across the board on a Stage 2 and the dyno sheet pretty much matched up with the GTS dyno pattern. If you did a 15% or 10% it creates a GTS Plus. Now that BM3 sliders added notches at the 5% increments you can really fine tune how the top of each gear pulls.
      08-01-2022, 11:25 AM   #52
njavier03
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 M4

i must say, this might be one of the most level-headed and informative threads on this topic. a lot of related threads are just people telling you to get X, but not really why other than its the popular option. thank you all!
Appreciate 3
M 4 FUN606.00
TopJimmy5458.50
Kilabyte3948.00
      08-01-2022, 04:02 PM   #53
deeLow
DOPE
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettertomorrow View Post
I had similar goal as OP, 500 rwhp and call it a day but I don't think I am quite there yet. In any case, I have been happy with MHD. Fleshing time of less than 30 seconds using my iPhone is always a plus. They always got back to me within a day when I had questions.

With that said, it seemed that MHD Stage 2 and BM3 Stage 1 seem to have similar peak boost at around 22.5 (at least my MHD stage 2 vs another member's BM3 Stage 1). I wonder what peak boost BM3 runs at Stage 2. I thought about trying out BM3 but longer fleshing time concerned me, I would not want to bother with battery charger.

Integrated flexfuel is next on the list. Just not convinced if it will be worth the trouble. Good luck with your journey!
I already have the MHD Black adapter and have previous experience with them but I have been hesitant on using them with my F80.

Do you use torque reduction like most others are saying they use with BM3? What about any dislikes specifically with the tune feels?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 06:19 PM   #54
Bettertomorrow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F83 M4

I think torque reduction mentioned above is used by people with E85 or Exx with custom tune which is known to have bunch more torque than OTS.

MHD has been solid so far. Flesh it under 30 sec (likely under 15 sec) and forget it type of thing. I think the long write took under 3 min (2 min and 30 sec or so). All logs look good. I think there is a member with well past 100k miles running on MHD stage 2 if that means anything.

I don't think there would be much difference between BM3 and MHD.
15 BMW F83 M4, MHD Stage 2, CBC, xHP Stage 2, ADD W1 Catchcan, AA Single Mid, Eibach Pro, 12.5mm spacers, BMC drop-in with charcoal removed, other misc/cosmetics (Alpha 1 speakers, all exterior LED light bulbs, ambient light upgrade-center console/doors, Hardwired Garmin Dashcam)
15 BMW X3 x35i
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 08:45 AM   #55
FrankMstein
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, R56 Camden, G37x

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post

This is the smart move using TQ reduction on a Stage tune. I recall a post by Halim where he did the 20% across the board on a Stage 2 and the dyno sheet pretty much matched up with the GTS dyno pattern. If you did a 15% or 10% it creates a GTS Plus. Now that BM3 sliders added notches at the 5% increments you can really fine tune how the top of each gear pulls.
I'ma have to check out these sliders...
Appreciate 0