Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

09-23-2020, 06:33 AM   #1
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

RaceChrono + Gopro: can't link video files to session?

So I got a Gopro8 and just recorded my 1st track day with my it. I have an iPhone 8 and latest iOS. I've managed to get the appropriate video files loaded onto my iPhone in a "RaceChrono" album, and within RaceChrono itself these two video files are appearing within the "Photos app" dropdown source on the video selection screen. However, I can't seem to figure out how to get them linked to the session (the session got split into 2 vids, I've confirmed they are the correct ones for the session visually, and they are both appearing in the Video list). When I click on the first video, it takes me into the Analysis screen. The OBD & map data are there and scrollable, but at the top, the overlay graphics show up, however there is no video (just black), and I cannot play or scroll forward in time -- as if the video is not there, despite me just clicking on it on the previous screen. When I go back out to the Video selection screen, it still says "Not linked to this session" under the video, even though the video thumbnail is there, along with MB and time. Am I missing something painfully obvious to get the video linked? From what I gather from tutorials simply clicking on the video thumbnail should automatically link it, no?

Thx

Edit: I'm using latest version of RaceChrono, and if it helps, I can play the video and it works fine when viewing in the iPhone Photos app

Last edited by jfritz27; 09-23-2020 at 10:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 02:40 AM   #2
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Add the graph to the bottom. You can scroll left and right there and see where the video landed. Sometimes if you start the session but wait very long to hit record on the gopro you get a lot of "black" at the front and you merely have to fast forward a bunch.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 07:15 AM   #3
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Add the graph to the bottom. You can scroll left and right there and see where the video landed. Sometimes if you start the session but wait very long to hit record on the gopro you get a lot of "black" at the front and you merely have to fast forward a bunch.
Thanks... turns out it was related to the fact that I had tried linking the smaller, lower-quality video that the GoPro records in parallel with the high res version, and RaceChrono didn't like that. When I reimported and started over using the big high-res version, everything worked fine!
Appreciate 1
jmg18649.50
      09-25-2020, 10:08 AM   #4
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfritz27 View Post
Thanks... turns out it was related to the fact that I had tried linking the smaller, lower-quality video that the GoPro records in parallel with the high res version, and RaceChrono didn't like that. When I reimported and started over using the big high-res version, everything worked fine!
Awesome. Another thing I like to do is instead of importing directly from GoPro to iPhone, I like to import it into my desktop first, rename the files by session in order, then sync through iTunes. It makes syncing easier since you can see the filenames in RaceChrono. I think syncing through USB3 is faster than through blutooth anyway.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0