European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

09-16-2020, 08:38 PM   #1
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Ceramic coating rims questions...

Hi - I'm planning on getting some HRE rims and the dealer it telling me I should opt for regular polished lips and ceramic coat the rims. He indicated if I went with a clear coated polished lip, I wouldn't be able to ceramic coat the lip. Is this true? What prevents ceramic coating from working on a clear coated polished lip?

Also, if I go with the regular polished lip and ceramic coated it, how durable would that be? Would it prevent oxidation of the lip for at least a year or more?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 09:10 PM   #2
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
Hi - I'm planning on getting some HRE rims and the dealer it telling me I should opt for regular polished lips and ceramic coat the rims. He indicated if I went with a clear coated polished lip, I wouldn't be able to ceramic coat the lip. Is this true? What prevents ceramic coating from working on a clear coated polished lip?

Also, if I go with the regular polished lip and ceramic coated it, how durable would that be? Would it prevent oxidation of the lip for at least a year or more?
I don't see why you couldn't apply ceramic on top of a clear coat surface. Same concept as your normal paint, but in case I might be wrong wait to hear back from a few others.

Ceramic coating your wheels isn't a one trick pony. You need maintenance. It'll make cleaning your wheels much easier, but again it's not a magic solution to never having to clean your wheels. The better the maintenance the better the durability. A year should be very easy if you follow the above.
Appreciate 0