European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-29-2017, 07:33 PM   #45
BuzzE46
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3 E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoosTonian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce683 View Post
Quote:
It's poor design. Bms moved the maf location ~10 inches upstream while positioning the evap before it. Now people in cold and/or higher elevations have issues.

Other intakes leave those two alone because of how sensitive those sensors are. No issues with other intakes. No need to clean the maf or oil the seating, reposition it, etc.

Just go back to stock and go with a different system.
I have the Max PSi intake, MAF and EVAP locations are at stock locations. Still have the issue.
Sorry to hear that.
So has anyone solved his issue, mine is been doing the same thing with the cold weather and it's only first cold start
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 08:43 PM   #46
BoosTonian
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 MB C63 S AMG Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzE46 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It's poor design. Bms moved the maf location ~10 inches upstream while positioning the evap before it. Now people in cold and/or higher elevations have issues.

Other intakes leave those two alone because of how sensitive those sensors are. No issues with other intakes. No need to clean the maf or oil the seating, reposition it, etc.

Just go back to stock and go with a different system.
I have the Max PSi intake, MAF and EVAP locations are at stock locations. Still have the issue.
Sorry to hear that.
So has anyone solved his issue, mine is been doing the same thing with the cold weather and it's only first cold start
scaling issue with certain aftermarket intakes and the Maf. custom/flash tune might fix it.

no other reason behind it. people have reinstalled, oiled, done leak tests and nothing.

when I had injen intake I had no issues but I had vf flash. bms intake i had issues but had jb4.

retired: GranTurismo MC, Giulia Quadrifoglio, B8.5 RS5, Q60 RedSport, e82 135, F80, e92 M3, e90 M3, (2) e92 335, B8 S4, C209 CLK55 AMG, e46 330
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 09:06 PM   #47
Turbotalon92
Rep
Drives: On the hunt

I’m with those that say there is an air leak under vacuum. Exactly the thing to cause idle surge.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 08:49 AM   #48
4everkidd
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzE46 View Post
The problem as explained is the aftermarket intake in cold climates... two years now I have had to remove the intake in the winter after running all summer with no issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 09:08 AM   #49
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everkidd View Post
The problem as explained is the aftermarket intake in cold climates... two years now I have had to remove the intake in the winter after running all summer with no issue.
No issues here in cold weather with aftermarket intake
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 10:14 AM   #50
applesauce683
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I have no idea if this is even possible but I think it might have something to do with the aluminum aftermarket intakes. I tried BMS and MaxPSi and both had cold weather problems. I switched to RKAutowerk carbon fiber and no issues. Seems like systems that utilize plastic or carbon fiber aren't having these problems.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 08:06 AM   #51
4everkidd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figurka View Post
No issues here in cold weather with aftermarket intake
which intake are you running?

Quote:
I have no idea if this is even possible but I think it might have something to do with the aluminum aftermarket intakes. I tried BMS and MaxPSi and both had cold weather problems. I switched to RKAutowerk carbon fiber and no issues. Seems like systems that utilize plastic or carbon fiber aren't having these problems.
My thoughts as well; something to do with the MAF sitting in an aluminum enclosure.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 10:09 AM   #52
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
which intake are you running?

rk autowerks
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 11:46 AM   #53
4everkidd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figurka View Post
rk autowerks
Carbon?

Another example that its the CAI material rather than design or MAF sensor placement
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 12:48 PM   #54
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Carbon?

Another example that its the CAI material rather than design or MAF sensor placement
Yes, Carbon... no issues with the east coast winters... second winter now.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 06:53 PM   #55
Alpine_F82
Just Building My M4 Track Car
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15’ M4 Alpine

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryTheLabelGuy View Post
It's not the intake, it's the MAF sensors. When installing the MAF sensors in the new intakes, they are very tight. If you don't properly lube the rubber o-ring with oil before installation, the o-ring can get pinched and allow unmetered air to seep past them causing idle issues.

The other thing to do is to clean the MAF sensors with MAF cleaner while you have them out. If they get dirty, they can give false readings to the DME.

This is a common problem and is easily fixed.
I just installed my bms air intakes. I am having the same problem when I first start it jumpy idle and raises and lowers idle randomly, with the car shaking kinda like one of my coils are bad. I just replaced spark plugs 3k miles ago. Also sometimes on startup it acts like it wants to die, it got down to 400 rpm and started bogging. I’ve noticed if I try to push gas it probably would die. But after idling for a minute or two. It’s perfectly fine. Also between 1500-2000 on start up it seems to be really bad and shaky. So since then I have taken both air intakes out and took the maf sensors out and oiled around the o rings properly and reinstalled. Still doing the same thing. My maf doesn’t need cleaning either on the first startup of my air intake install it’s done this. It did look like the mafs o rings were pinching because the print was flipped around. But still didn’t help putting the lubrication on them. Is there anyway I can keep these intakes they sound and look good lol. The mafs are flush fit. Please let me know thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 09:22 PM   #56
FAmotorsport
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 - Bootmod stage 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4BimmerChris View Post
I just installed my bms air intakes. I am having the same problem when I first start it jumpy idle and raises and lowers idle randomly, with the car shaking kinda like one of my coils are bad. I just replaced spark plugs 3k miles ago. Also sometimes on startup it acts like it wants to die, it got down to 400 rpm and started bogging. I’ve noticed if I try to push gas it probably would die. But after idling for a minute or two. It’s perfectly fine. Also between 1500-2000 on start up it seems to be really bad and shaky. So since then I have taken both air intakes out and took the maf sensors out and oiled around the o rings properly and reinstalled. Still doing the same thing. My maf doesn’t need cleaning either on the first startup of my air intake install it’s done this. It did look like the mafs o rings were pinching because the print was flipped around. But still didn’t help putting the lubrication on them. Is there anyway I can keep these intakes they sound and look good lol. The mafs are flush fit. Please let me know thanks

Were you able to figure out thr solution?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 09:34 AM   #57
Alpine_F82
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAmotorsport View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4BimmerChris View Post

Were you able to figure out thr solution?
Sold the intakes reverted back to stock. Apparently it works for some cars but not all. Idk what it is. I properly oiled them up right etc. I plan to go injen on my next car.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 01:18 PM   #58
Likeanowl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3/ Yas Marina Blue

So I’m now having this exact issue. Oddly enough I took my bms intakes off, went back to stock with new filters, and the problem still persists if not worse now. In doing so I made sure everything sat correctly and was tight. Also very carefully used MAF cleaner while I had the sensors out. Anybody have any other ideas? Really starting to stress me out.
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2020, 09:10 AM   #59
Alpine_F82
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Likeanowl View Post
So I’m now having this exact issue. Oddly enough I took my bms intakes off, went back to stock with new filters, and the problem still persists if not worse now. In doing so I made sure everything sat correctly and was tight. Also very carefully used MAF cleaner while I had the sensors out. Anybody have any other ideas? Really starting to stress me out.
I got a code after I reinstalled for maf to much air no engine light just in code reader. I cleaned mafs and have had no problem. The other thing is I have k&n air filters so the oil may have messed with the maf idk but I cleaned the k&n filters at the same time I did mafs, what do you have let me know.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 09:12 AM   #60
Alpine_F82
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Download BimmerCode and buy a Bluetooth adapter also it helps a ton
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 01:20 PM   #61
Likeanowl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3/ Yas Marina Blue

Oddly enough I went back to stock downpipes and now the issue is gone. No idea how or why but it worked?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 05:29 PM   #62
Alpine_F82
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Oddly enough I went back to stock downpipes and now the issue is gone. No idea how or why but it worked?
Have no idea I have stock dp's lol
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 07:26 PM   #63
jaddie
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: San Marino Blue M4 Comp

mazaa93
Any update mate? I am also getting lumpy idle and the car stalling when doing short moves after just starting it.

CAT Heating disabled
BMS intakes

Current: F82 M4 Comp '19
Previous: F36 440i M Sport '18
Previous: F32 430d xDrive M Sport '15
Previous: F30 320d M Sport '14 & E81 118d M Sport '09
Appreciate 1
Ramzzz1.50
      10-11-2020, 05:10 AM   #64
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

CAT Heating disabled on mine caused stumbling so I left it on..... no issues going forward. But I still have the kittens running around under there
Appreciate 1
TopJimmy5454.00
      10-12-2020, 06:08 AM   #65
jaddie
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: San Marino Blue M4 Comp

Yeah I also have kittens under the bonnet still, however turning cat heating off shouldn't cause any issues with the engine running.

Current: F82 M4 Comp '19
Previous: F36 440i M Sport '18
Previous: F32 430d xDrive M Sport '15
Previous: F30 320d M Sport '14 & E81 118d M Sport '09
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 09:40 PM   #66
Cboy
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 AW F87 ZCP

What oil is everyone using to lube the O rings?
Appreciate 0