GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-23-2020, 08:52 AM   #23
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthen0thing View Post
I'm not seeing an oil temp channel in BM3.
It is there (along with a crap ton of other parameters), I have seen it. You just have to dig a little deeper through the long list of parameters that can be monitored.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2020, 07:13 PM   #24
chetrickerman
ECUTek Master Tuner
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 YMB

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
But why did you install it? Were you seeing elevated oil temperatures on the track, or more specifically, dangerously elevated oil temperatures?
I installed it because a client of mine installed one as well and saw a difference in temps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_rx7 View Post
What sort of difference are you experiencing? What’s the difference in temps?
Im seeing 10-15 degrees lower no matter the driving conditions.
      04-23-2020, 08:50 PM   #25
Ed_rx7
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 CP

Thanks.... I now have one on the way to me...... I just wanted to confirm that it actually works...
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2020, 04:19 AM   #26
behindthen0thing
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

This is what I've been seeing.
In this scenario in efficient low speed driving the temps would both have been 221.
As you can see the oil temp is lower.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 04:19 PM   #27
chriszach1
CHRISZACH1
Germany
Rep
Drives: 06 E90, 18 F80, 21 G05

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
I have been running the MSL Thermostat for about 4 months now. It really does keep my temps down. Like most said...no matter how I drive it stays around 190 degrees. I do a lot of spirited driving on the Autobahn and was about to test it on The Ring...but then The Rona hit and everything got put on hold! Today I did about an hour of back road driving, lots of hills, curves and straits. Temps stayed about the same as they always do. It's a great mod if you are looking to get cooler temps. Plus..it's beautiful!
Attached Images

Sakhir Orange II Metallic / Black Extended Merino Leather / M-DCT / Executive Package / Competition Package / Driver Assistant Package/ 20" Frozen Silver Edelweiss LT 5 wheels/ KW V3's/ Mosselman Stage 2 tune
Appreciate 2
      05-01-2020, 12:51 AM   #28
sna66
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

Just don't see the appeal personally, I guess it dresses up the engine bay a little, but nothing like adding some wheels or a diffuser would give you for cosmetics. Like many others have said the factory cooling on this car is amazing.

I guess might it be a good option for a dedicated track car, but for a car that rarely sees the track it might be more harm than good... the car would be operating at less than optimal temperatures, also since it's really just a switch that turns on your cooling system sooner and more often, it's just adding more on/ off cycles to moving parts, just more wear than intended. It's like setting your home ac thermostat to 30 deg when it's 40 outside
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 10:29 AM   #29
behindthen0thing
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sna66 View Post
Just don't see the appeal personally, I guess it dresses up the engine bay a little, but nothing like adding some wheels or a diffuser would give you for cosmetics. Like many others have said the factory cooling on this car is amazing.

I guess might it be a good option for a dedicated track car, but for a car that rarely sees the track it might be more harm than good... the car would be operating at less than optimal temperatures, also since it's really just a switch that turns on your cooling system sooner and more often, it's just adding more on/ off cycles to moving parts, just more wear than intended. It's like setting your home ac thermostat to 30 deg when it's 40 outside
Thats not true, it doesn't switch anything. It just increases the oil flow through the oil cooler. It doesn't make the cooling fans come on any more often.
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2020, 11:09 AM   #30
Tangent
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01, F82, E89, F25

Looks good but I can't see how it would help on track unless the factory thermostat is an actual flow restriction. If your oil temps go above the thermostat's opening temperature, opening it earlier won't keep them any lower; the only thing that can help is either increasing the cooling capacity of the system or reducing the heat load.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 12:07 PM   #31
em3atl
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:

This is not an always open oil diverter valves that could cause issues when waiting to drive the car and it taking too long to get to temp without possibly causing damage. Not sure what you're talking about re a switch and cooling.
Appreciate 2
      05-01-2020, 04:56 PM   #32
chetrickerman
ECUTek Master Tuner
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
Quote:

You are misinformed on this subject matter.
      09-19-2020, 02:16 AM   #33
MthreeComp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
So I was messing around on the interweb and came across this S55 oil cooling upgrade product: Mosselman S55 Oil Thermostat. Kies Motorsports also did a video install of this part as well as part of their M4 GTS build video series as seen here. I searched here on the forums in this section, and a few others where I would expect this upgraded part to be discussed but did not find anything on it.

So does anybody have any real world experience with this oil cooling upgrade? The heat management on the S55 is already very good, so I would speculate any meaningful oil cooling gains would be during increased heat loading on the track (or in very hot climates). Does anybody have any independent data to back up Mosselman's claims of keeping engine oil 20 deg C (or 68 deg F) cooler over stock?
I just got my thermostat installed yesterday, before temps ran at 215 the highest I've seen. After install an the car warmed up, the highest it got to was 189 an stayed at that.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 05:25 AM   #34
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Remember these cars are designed to be sold to the mass market and also to meet many emission & fuel consumption guidelines. It tries to keep the oil/coolant differential temps close together for heat equalization and also at the higher temp all the time to promote lower emission numbers and fuel efficiency.The cooling system is not even close to being a problem on the S55 it is designed to be this way for a purpose. there is many ways to increase its ability to lower temps this seems to be one of them. I am curious how it will perform back to back on the track with like modded cars. As to a known fact you can increase flow enough that is does not stay in the cooler long enough to expel the heat and once temps get to a certain point thy cannot lower and need to be kept in the cooler longer..... but I feel this would never be the case in the S55. You also want it to heat up quickly in the real cold temps for better protection if you dot sit to warm up
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 08:31 PM   #35
jballer123
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011m3 zcp

As an engine builder , there are plenty of places in an engine where the oil is exceeding 250 degrees or hotter , such as the cylinder wall, bottom of the piston, valve spring cooling, valve stem cooling... the sump temps being too cool is really not an issue...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 06:57 AM   #36
jturboawd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e36, e46, 135i, m4, x4m

I installed this and saw the same differences listed above. The piece is well made (not cheap) and works as advertised.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 04:00 AM   #37
erik_m3g80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszach1 View Post
I have been running the MSL Thermostat for about 4 months now. It really does keep my temps down. Like most said...no matter how I drive it stays around 190 degrees. I do a lot of spirited driving on the Autobahn and was about to test it on The Ring...but then The Rona hit and everything got put on hold! Today I did about an hour of back road driving, lots of hills, curves and straits. Temps stayed about the same as they always do. It's a great mod if you are looking to get cooler temps. Plus..it's beautiful!
Does the coolant line has to come off for the installation? Because it looks like one bolt is covered by the coolant line?
      12-16-2020, 08:40 AM   #38
cosmos///m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 GT/AB M3 & 2005 JB/IR M3

I feel like a few people are a little misinformed on this. A thermostat only controls flow until a certain point at which it opens fully. All this thermostat does is open fully and at a set cooler temperature. The overall end temp will always be the same as it's determined from the heat sink and power output of the engine. If your engine runs at 250 degrees under a certain loading it will always run at 250 degrees under that loading condition. Example, if you are driving on track for a 20 minute session and you hit 250 degrees after 7 laps then this thermostat will extend that duration to 9 laps. It will now take an additional 2 laps to reach peak temperature. It will still reach peak temperature, that will not change.

This piece does look like a great quality part, and Im sure it does its job just fine... just overkill for a street car other than to dress up the engine bay
tomlong617.00
Tangent297.50
      12-16-2020, 09:52 AM   #39
chetrickerman
ECUTek Master Tuner
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos///m3 View Post
I feel like a few people are a little misinformed on this. A thermostat only controls flow until a certain point at which it opens fully. All this thermostat does is open fully and at a set cooler temperature. The overall end temp will always be the same as it's determined from the heat sink and power output of the engine. If your engine runs at 250 degrees under a certain loading it will always run at 250 degrees under that loading condition. Example, if you are driving on track for a 20 minute session and you hit 250 degrees after 7 laps then this thermostat will extend that duration to 9 laps. It will now take an additional 2 laps to reach peak temperature. It will still reach peak temperature, that will not change.

This piece does look like a great quality part, and Im sure it does its job just fine... just overkill for a street car other than to dress up the engine bay
Do you have the thermostat?
      12-16-2020, 11:31 AM   #40
Sd335i2007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90/F80/E70

Garage List
  [10.00]
I got mine installed two weeks ago by
SDgarage. Definitely see a drop in temps.
We were half mile racing over the weekend and my temps stayed around 200 the whole event. Happy with the purchase
KW V3 coilover, Forgeline wheels,
Ecutek Custom Tune MS109 by Counterspace Garage , SDgarage Built
Appreciate 1
      12-24-2020, 09:39 PM   #41
flexspec
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, E90 330i

Engine bay eye candy aside - the advertised temp delta is real.
I’ve logged track temps pre-thermostat, will log next season for track data points post-thermostat install.

For those who DIY, this was extremely easy. If changing a tire is 1 and timing an engine is 10, this would be a 3-4.

Cheers
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
      12-26-2020, 10:12 AM   #42
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: DV F80

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26941926

He loves it. I'm in south Florida where the winter evenings are 78, so I think I'm going to get this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 1
TRYM3279.00
      12-26-2020, 10:15 AM   #43
TRYM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

In real world driving it does truly keep temps down exactly as claimed. I have not yet tracked it but ive done a 150 mile trip and the needle didnt move.

No a coolant line does not need to come off. HKP Tuning did a very good install video on it. Took me about 30 minutes and I am NOT a mechanic by any means. Definitely stuff as many towels under the stock when you are removing it bc it does make a mess.

In my opinion it is worth every penny, 1.) its not that expensive and 2.) 99 percent of us don't spend 99 percent of our time on the track so the few hundred dollars to keep the oil temps cooler in a bmw is a good thing and I dont see any down side to this product at all. Just my two cents
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
      12-26-2020, 10:18 AM   #44
TRYM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbennettksu View Post
https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26941926

He loves it. I'm in south Florida where the winter evenings are 78, so I think I'm going to get this.
I really do. Best mod in that price range. Performs flawlessly and looks great. Cant go wrong.
Appreciate 1