Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-21-2020, 08:39 AM   #155
SE7EN335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 XDrive, 2023 IX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistm4 View Post
I want to but bmw is trying to charge me 2600$ for a service. F THAT. I bought 6 liters Im just gonna swap the fluid myself. Not even gonna change the filters.

TBH it's cheaper to just run a DCT into the ground and buy a new USED one and swap yourself than to have BMW service one. That is utterly ridiculious. I find them all the time on FB with low miles for 900-1500$. A guy just posted one without a mechatronic unit for 500$... Like that's not bad at all. I may just buy one to keep on hand for when this one breaks.
Genuine Parts with filters, dct pan, 9L of fluid (just in case) and filler plug costed around 700 USD. Labour is around 200 or so from a reputable indy. So for around 900 for peace of mind every 50-60k miles is pretty decent.

Although the DCT is pretty cheap nowadays, the labour and coding required to fit them would be expensive. For example, a 335i DCT gearbox wouldn't fit into a F80 M3 without some sort of coding and adjustments.

Its pretty funny when people bring oil analysis from 50K mile old M3 E92 DCTs and say the car can easily go up to 100K miles and compare those oil analysis results onto the F8x platform and conclude that the F8x can also go up to 100k miles. When keep in mind, the M4 GTS transmission flash and the far higher torque and stresses of the S55 engine over the S65 engine would shorten the oil's life considerably. Plus, there isnt enough analysis results of F8x DCT oil that has had the GTS flash done to it to get a clear picture. So best to do 50-60K miles flushes to be on the safe side.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 10:55 PM   #156
Twistm4
I Drag Race My Track Car
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE7EN335 View Post
Genuine Parts with filters, dct pan, 9L of fluid (just in case) and filler plug costed around 700 USD. Labour is around 200 or so from a reputable indy. So for around 900 for peace of mind every 50-60k miles is pretty decent.

Although the DCT is pretty cheap nowadays, the labour and coding required to fit them would be expensive. For example, a 335i DCT gearbox wouldn't fit into a F80 M3 without some sort of coding and adjustments.

Its pretty funny when people bring oil analysis from 50K mile old M3 E92 DCTs and say the car can easily go up to 100K miles and compare those oil analysis results onto the F8x platform and conclude that the F8x can also go up to 100k miles. When keep in mind, the M4 GTS transmission flash and the far higher torque and stresses of the S55 engine over the S65 engine would shorten the oil's life considerably. Plus, there isnt enough analysis results of F8x DCT oil that has had the GTS flash done to it to get a clear picture. So best to do 50-60K miles flushes to be on the safe side.
I want to but I'm not paying 3000$ because dealers don't wanna do it. That's what two places quoted me. Then 460$ for just the fluid swap and adaptation which I'll likely do myself. They're trying to tell me I have to replace the pan and a bunch of other stuff just to replace filters. They don't wanna do it. And have never done one either at BMW of Louisville.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 10:27 AM   #157
Jeremy Billiel
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

I have ready through this thread and I want the GTS DCT tune to replace my competition package DCT tune (stock) given how jerky it is. For someone who has no desire for additional hp and just wants to flash the DCT software, what is the best way to get this done? Sorry for a noob question!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 10:52 AM   #158
rborane
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Billiel View Post
I have ready through this thread and I want the GTS DCT tune to replace my competition package DCT tune (stock) given how jerky it is. For someone who has no desire for additional hp and just wants to flash the DCT software, what is the best way to get this done? Sorry for a noob question!
Thor. Will also let you code the diff, steering, and traction control yourself. You can pick between CS and GTS.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 04:19 AM   #159
SE7EN335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 XDrive, 2023 IX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistm4 View Post
I want to but I'm not paying 3000$ because dealers don't wanna do it. That's what two places quoted me. Then 460$ for just the fluid swap and adaptation which I'll likely do myself. They're trying to tell me I have to replace the pan and a bunch of other stuff just to replace filters. They don't wanna do it. And have never done one either at BMW of Louisville.
Like I said, buy all parts from FCPeuro which I did as well. Bought the DCT Pan, fill plug, Pressure filter and suction filter for around 500 USD. Got the 7L of BMW Genuine DCTF1+ from dealer for around 200 USD. Labour was done by my friend who works at my local BMW dealer and he used ISTA.

All up you are looking at around 900 USD for parts and labour. Look around your local area for a reputable indy who can use the service function on ISTA so they can perform the DCT service accurately.

After the service, the DCT gearbox felt miles better especially when the gearbox is cold. I could also see that my old DCT pan's gasket had a tad bit of deformation and may have started a leak in about another 30K miles or a few years.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 04:00 AM   #160
MyNameIsNotSure
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

I might be the only one but I actually rather enjoy the mule-kick tire-spinning upshifts on the stock ZCP DCT, I think it adds a sense of theater and character. I however greatly do not enjoy the lag when shifting into reverse.

Everyone seems to say that the GTS DCT tune (Thor or otherwise) smoothes out the upshifts but I'm not 100% sure how to interpret that, can anyone confirm that it fully eliminates that violent mule-kick nature on the upshift? If I could just keep the crazy upshifts but fix the reverse and clunky 2-1 downshifts that would be ideal.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 08:08 PM   #161
SubzeroVR4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3/F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNotSure View Post
I might be the only one but I actually rather enjoy the mule-kick tire-spinning upshifts on the stock ZCP DCT, I think it adds a sense of theater and character. I however greatly do not enjoy the lag when shifting into reverse.

Everyone seems to say that the GTS DCT tune (Thor or otherwise) smoothes out the upshifts but I'm not 100% sure how to interpret that, can anyone confirm that it fully eliminates that violent mule-kick nature on the upshift? If I could just keep the crazy upshifts but fix the reverse and clunky 2-1 downshifts that would be ideal.
I just flashed the GTS tune. I'm also in the same boat as you. I enjoy the kick when it upshifts. What I've noticed is the car shifts with less jerk. S2 seems more aggressive. S3 seems smoother to the point where I'm chirping 3rd gear similar to the stock flash, but there isn't that kick in the seat like before. I will give it a couple of days, but I might switch back.
'21 Civic Type R
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2022, 07:44 PM   #162
Globus
Rep
Drives: F83, 992 GT3, GLC63

Reviving an old thread.. what has changed in the past two years?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2022, 12:12 PM   #163
KALIU
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Hi all, I recently purchased a 2017 F82 and am debating whether to get the ultimate flash package offered from bimmer-remote. My question is more in regards to how the GTS flash will change the behaviour of the car would be worth it for me. My car came with the competition package and MPE and i love the way it sounds and the aggressive pops and bangs when letting off throttle in M mode. Will the GTS flash change the tone or when the burbles occur and how long they last? From what I’ve read the most significant difference will be improved traction and smoother shifting. I’m not very well versed in how this is accomplished but will it stiffen the ride? This car is my daily driver so I would like to keep the stock feel as much as possible and don’t necessarily want it to feel like a dedicated track weapon like the GTS was designed to be. Lastly, I believe my build date was late 2016 although I will need to double check. I believe most of the software improvements were released in 2017. Is it possible my car will not see much of an improvement since the versions should be fairly close? Thank you all in advance!

Last edited by KALIU; 10-30-2022 at 12:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2022, 12:26 PM   #164
kubax86
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
No_Country
Rep

Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALIU View Post
Hi all, I recently purchased a 2017 F82 and am debating whether the ultimate flash package offered from bimmer-remote. My question is more in regards to how the GTS flash will change the behaviour of the car would be worth it for me. My car came with the competition package and MPE and i love the way it sounds and the aggressive pops and bangs when letting off throttle in M mode. Will the GTS flash change the tone or when the burbles occur and how long they last? From what I’ve read the most significant difference will be improved traction and smoother shifting. I’m not very well versed in how this is accomplished but will it stiffen the ride? This car is my daily driver so I would like to keep the stock feel as much as possible and don’t necessarily want it to feel like a dedicated track weapon like the GTS was designed to be. Lastly, I believe my build date was late 2016 although I will need to double check. I believe most of the software improvements were released in 2017. Is it possible my car will not see much of an improvement since the versions should be fairly close? Thank you all in advance!
You will feel real difference in GTS transmission. Less jerky, faster shifts more pleasant to drive. Guarantee that. I believe my customers can say the same.
Appreciate 3
KALIU0.00
spidy512491.50
      10-31-2022, 01:35 AM   #165
KALIU
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubax86 View Post
You will feel real difference in GTS transmission. Less jerky, faster shifts more pleasant to drive. Guarantee that. I believe my customers can say the same.
Thanks kubax. Do you have any insight into whether it will change the sound profile or does the competition share the same profile as the GTS?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 08:10 AM   #166
2Times
I'd hit it
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82

Garage List
2023 BMW M4 xd  [10.00]
I see on the BM3 app it says to flash GTS on before 2018 and the CS trans on +2018... anyone know what the difference is?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 01:08 PM   #167
2Times
I'd hit it
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82

Garage List
2023 BMW M4 xd  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Times View Post
I see on the BM3 app it says to flash GTS on before 2018 and the CS trans on +2018... anyone know what the difference is?
Update and to confirm:: I have a 2020 F83 running multimap stage 1 with the flex fuel kit.
Flashed the CS trans tune and got errors as soon as I put it in drive.
Worked with support to try GTS trans flash and that worked. Guess it's GTS for all even though the notes say it's for anything under 2018
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 07:49 AM   #168
Metalm4
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Times View Post
These are different data-files from original BMW´s psdzdata.

BMW stops building the F82GTS at the end of 2017:

38C2 is dkg436_Daten_GTS_US with Patchlevel 056
38C1 is dkg436_Daten_GTS_RoW with Patchlevel 056
2290 is dkg436_Daten_CSL_RoW with Patchlevel 056
These versions only work, if your F82 is built before 2018 and are the so-called "addons" and best of breed GTS-Flashes.
If you get em for free with BM3 or MHD, it´s okay. Otherwise...

On later cars none of these versions work.
They use following version:
695C is a dkg436_Daten_CSL_China version with Patchlevel 064
695B is a dkg436_Daten_CSL_RoW version with Patchlevel 064

Additionally, also version with patchlevel 066 (stock for ZCP) are working.

I tested almost all swfls in my F82 ZCP and like this hobby to code and flash
Appreciate 0