ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-05-2020, 08:44 PM   #23
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
Dyno picture at the end:

The Ecutek programming kit and flash points alone are around 750-800 depending on exchange rate.

Most custom tunes (BM3/MHD) are going for 500-1100 depending. Not sure what his current cost is.

Also Bend Calibration is the only Ecutek tuner for the S55 to offer a full plug and play flex fuel sensor and filter kit for varied prices listed on the bend website. I think you'll find if you price each item out itself that this kit is very fairly priced.

Again, depends what you want. The decision was simple for me.

Ecutek is a flash tune; no OTS tunes available. Bespoke tuning through an Ecutek registered Tuner or Master Tuner.

Ecutek offers a lot more mapping via the custom maps. The tuner can develop whatever custom map for nitrous/meth controls or a valet mode for a quick example. As for adjustment I haven't seen any issues with any of the platforms.

I can think of many reasons to switch; but primarily the number one item is true flex fuel with a flex sensor connected to the canbus. No need to re-flash each time you switch back and forth between pump fuel or e85...can run any blend of content at anytime and the mapping is automatically and correctly adjusted. With Ecutek you don't need to worry because once the car is dialed in to your spec, you don't need it to flash. But you're right, they are all just tools...find the one that works best for you.

Agreed
BM3 is coming out with flex, rolling antilag and a ton of other toys. They showed a demo a while back and they’ve been at it since. Much better priced overall, flashes way faster, no special dongles or cables, use windows mac iphone android whatever to flash and datalog and you can resell it when done with it or move it to another car. You don’t end up locked into some tuner ever that you might not like or completely hate by the time you’re done custom tuning with and feel like you wasted a bunch of $$ trying to get your shit worked out. Plus their support is off the charts second to none. This discussion doesn’t make much sense. They’re all tools to get stuff done. There’s no cookie cutter, tons of options
Appreciate 2
      08-05-2020, 08:52 PM   #24
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C - X3M - Turbo E46 M3 - 45E

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbakam4 View Post
BM3 is coming out with flex, rolling antilag and a ton of other toys. They showed a demo a while back and they’ve been at it since. Much better priced overall, flashes way faster, no special dongles or cables, use windows mac iphone android whatever to flash and datalog and you can resell it when done with it or move it to another car. You don’t end up locked into some tuner ever that you might not like or completely hate by the time you’re done custom tuning with and feel like you wasted a bunch of $$ trying to get your shit worked out. Plus their support is off the charts second to none. This discussion doesn’t make much sense. They’re all tools to get stuff done. There’s no cookie cutter, tons of options
BM3 is a good platform for some...and currently it does not offer flex. Also it re-flashes in under 2min for me...like 6 or 7 minutes for the first flash which isn't a deal breaker. I get if you prefer using a phone to upload flashes but that's why you as the customer have a choice. Also you aren't locked to a tuner...you can go to another tuner and have your flash points transferred over. You can also flash back to stock and then flash back with Ecutek later after requesting a reload of your flash points. Yes that part is a bit more of a hassle when compared to BM3...there are pros and cons. BM3 is a great solution, not knocking it...but for me, Ecutek is the better tool.
      08-06-2020, 07:34 PM   #25
bimmer ///man
Captain
Rep
Drives: M

If BM3 offers flex fuel, I will stay on this platform otherwise I’ll start looking at platforms that do. The gas is too terrible in CA not to run some ethanol (when available). There are a few local stations but if I can flash one tune that will compensate for any mix, that makes my life much easier.
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2020, 03:39 PM   #26
Boostd4
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP Silverstone

It all depends on how far down the rabbit hole you're going to go with the car.

When I was on the R35 platform, it was Cobb vs. EcuTek. My needs were very basic and I did an FBO E85 setup with Cobb. I had many failsafe features and my tuner worked on both platforms. EcuTek definitely offered a lot more features, but they didn't apply to what I was using the car for.

I'd say it's the same case here. If you're just looking for a simple and reversible bump in power without any alternative fueling and/or FBO parts...I'd say that BM3 is the perfect solution. Not taking away anything from what they offer btw. If you're going to need a lot of control over more engine parameters, transmission controls and alternative fuel management...I'd say a custom EcuTek setup is necessary.

Personally I'm going with BM3 because it checks all of the boxes I'll need. But EcuTek will eventually be the go to for those looking for every single last ounce of power.
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2020, 06:10 PM   #27
chewbakam4
Major
Rep

Ecutek has no transmission flash, BM3 does though plus all the other stuff that comes out of the box right from the get go. No need to custom tune unless you want to and if you do its got multiple records out there over so many years that speak for itself. Map switching and other shit will just be new shiny toys to fcuk with
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 08:13 PM   #28
KakashiSenpai
Troll
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Comp

@chewbakam4 when do you think BM3 will actually release flex fuel options for the s55? I feel like this is the main deal breaker/switch over.

I've had 3 custom tunes with F80 Paul & one with Cary. Paul hands down is my favorite tuner for this platform. He's another main reason why I wouldn't want to switch because I don't see anyone coming close to how well he dialed in my car & others that are tuned by him.
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2020, 08:34 AM   #29
Eldaes
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F80 M3

I see a lot of people claiming that Flex Fuel and antilag are in the works on BM3, but has anyone actually seen it? or is it just hear-say?
      08-09-2020, 01:14 PM   #30
Shadow2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 MG F80 M3

Bootmod3's been hinting at flex fuel for awhile now, if they don't get something going soon, more and more people will be looking into EcuTek...I know I am.
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2020, 04:56 PM   #31
chewbakam4
Major
Rep

No idea when they’ll release flex stuff. They had a teaser of stuff in progress recently. You can’t run e85 on these BMWs all the time anyways as it’ll just cause shit like leaky injectors so its all really just a whatever feature especially to me as I rarely if ever run it personally. I’m happy with a 30-40% blend here and there. I’m more looking forward to their map switching than flex fuel personally but that’s me
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 06:20 PM   #32
coxxoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 CP

I never switched. I went straight to Ecutek because I wanted flex fuel, wanted a custom tune, and trusted the brand to develop racerom features based on experience with other cars. I’ve been on a 91 tune since April 2019. Fast forward to now, and I’m midway through getting a flex fuel tune with no map switching required.

Regarding the transmission flash, you can VO code the EGS with esys for free. Check the diy section.
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2020, 06:29 PM   #33
KakashiSenpai
Troll
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Comp

Quote:
No idea when they'll release flex stuff. They had a teaser of stuff in progress recently. You can't run e85 on these BMWs all the time anyways as it'll just cause shit like leaky injectors so its all really just a whatever feature especially to me as I rarely if ever run it personally. I'm happy with a 30-40% blend here and there. I'm more looking forward to their map switching than flex fuel personally but that's me
So basically just hear say as others mentioned. I don't believe the whole "running e85 for a long period of time will cause problems" statement. I've had advice from both Paul and Cary that they personally run e85 & recommend running 91oct every so often to keep everything happy. I've ran straight e54(Arizona) with stock turbos/stock fueling & PS2+ and vary rarely ever ran my custom 91 oct map (track days) with no issues.

Tbh just seems you are trying to justify people sticking with BM3 without providing factual evidence as what the OP is asking. Trust me I've been on the BM3 boat ever since they came out but when I see something as ecutek coming out with some new features; this will only help push our platform forward.
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2020, 08:01 PM   #34
landonvan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 M3

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
There is a lot of good opinions going on here. I think both platforms are great. I currently have the BM3 tune. I have no complaints. Ecutek does seem to have the added flex fuel tuning. But really is it worth $2000 to switch. I mean really your paying for flex fuel. All that map switch crap. I’ll never use. If I have a tune that can run pump or E. Why would you switch anything. Just my thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 03:14 PM   #35
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

I'm new to the M world but my question to the bm3 guys is, how many flashes can be accomplished before you need a new ECU? From reading both systems are awesome but a few options are pushing me towards ECUTEK.
I came from an S4 where you had to flash at the gas station or at home for different maps which sucked and I ran into issues a handful of times and unable to swap maps thru mobile hotspot. I see that as an inconvenience, call me old school but I like my laptop and ability to swap on the fly.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 08:54 PM   #36
chewbakam4
Major
Rep

I’ve flashed like 200 times at least LOL! No limits like on some old timer chips
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 11:07 PM   #37
MisterF80M3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I was planning to get ECUTEK until BM3 announced their Flex fuel tune. Now patiently waiting for it to release.
      08-29-2020, 12:38 AM   #38
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

Quote:
I’ve flashed like 200 times at least LOL! No limits like on some old timer chips
That's good news, how about flash counter? Does it reset it or bypass it?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 11:56 AM   #39
Schultz28
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterF80M3 View Post
I was planning to get ECUTEK until BM3 announced their Flex fuel tune. Now patiently waiting for it to release.
I can't wait for the Flex Fuel abilities and the rolling anti-lag.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 04:38 PM   #40
tomlong
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Sedan

On Ecutek for over 2 months now. Only mod is chargepipes, if you consider that a mod.

Currently running a very conservative bench flash, as I am guinea pig and one of the first in the Midwest to install this. I would say it is a very mild tune, equivalent to a Stage 0.5. Will be going in for a full Stage 1 custom tune on dyno here very soon.
PETuned.com ... tuner is Alex Roy of Performance Eurowerks.

Pump vs pump, my car performs very well against other F8x cars who have indicated they're on various Bootmod3 Stage 2 maps. Obviously, mainly factors are at play here. So do not treat the above statement as pure 100% scientific or unequivocally a substantial claim.

While I hear Bootmod3 OTS tunes are great, I'm not sure I would feel satisfied not knowing who wrote the file operating my car. And having recently helped install a buddy's N55 M2 Dorch Engineering HPFP, where we ran into a connection issue with his Bootmod3 config settings change for the HPFP change, the tech support while available, wasn't to the level required to actually solve the M2's problem.

With that said, Ecutek's tech support has not been that stellar for me. For example, the bluetooth connection has been very spotty for me. While the UK tech group has shown effort to assist, they still have not yet to provide a material fix to the problem.

Another thing that I would bring up are "shadow fault codes" which may come on every day and linger but not show up on the actual BMW ECU side, when codes are pulled using the BMW diagniostics tool. These shadow faults, despite having the car mechanically checked by multiple shops.

Back to the positives on Ecutek, I was able to pass Illinois State Emissions without the need to reflash back to stock. There is an OBD Readiness tab on ECUConnect that let's you know which ones are "completed" so you can know with confidence before the state plugs their OBD cable into your car whether or not you'll pass.

I hope my honest review was helpful. Will contribute more when I add cat less down pipes and my tuner gets me in for a full Stage 1 and adds more timing & ups the power. Never used Bootmod3 but would say Ecutek is a good platform overall.
Appreciate 2
Shadow2121.00
      08-31-2020, 05:08 PM   #41
MisterF80M3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlong View Post
On Ecutek for over 2 months now. Only mod is chargepipes, if you consider that a mod.

Currently running a very conservative bench flash, as I am guinea pig and one of the first in the Midwest to install this. I would say it is a very mild tune, equivalent to a Stage 0.5. Will be going in for a full Stage 1 custom tune on dyno here very soon.

Pump vs pump, my car performs very well against other F8x cars who have indicated they're on various Bootmod3 Stage 2 maps. Obviously, mainly factors are at play here. So do not treat the above statement as pure 100% scientific or unequivocally a substantial claim.

While I hear Bootmod3 OTS tunes are great, I'm not sure I would feel satisfied not knowing who wrote the file operating my car. And having recently helped install a buddy's N55 M2 Dorch Engineering HPFP, where we ran into a connection issue with his Bootmod3 config settings change for the HPFP change, the tech support while available, wasn't to the level required to actually solve the M2's problem.

With that said, Ecutek's tech support has not been that stellar for me. For example, the bluetooth connection has been very spotty for me. While the UK tech group has shown effort to assist, they still have not yet to provide a material fix to the problem.

Another thing that I would bring up are "shadow fault codes" which may come on every day and linger but not show up on the actual BMW ECU side, when codes are pulled using the BMW diagniostics tool. These shadow faults, despite having the car mechanically checked by multiple shops.

Back to the positives on Ecutek, I was able to pass Illinois State Emissions without the need to reflash back to stock. There is an OBD Readiness tab on ECUConnect that let's you know which ones are "completed" so you can know with confidence before the state plugs their OBD cable into your car whether or not you'll pass.

I hope my honest review was helpful. Will contribute more when I add cat less down pipes and my tuner gets me in for a full Stage 1 and adds more timing & ups the power. Never used Bootmod3 but would say Ecutek is a good platform overall.
Ecutek is a custom tune specifically for your own car?

BM3 OTS maps are safe and reliable. Custom BM3 map is where it is at if you are looking to squeeze out the most power on a specific fuel.
      08-31-2020, 07:19 PM   #42
tomlong
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlong View Post

BM3 OTS maps are safe and reliable. Custom BM3 map is where it is at if you are looking to squeeze out the most power on a specific fuel.
Yes, bespoke tune specifically for your car. There is no website where you can go buy an S55 tune written on Ecutek, unlike Bootmod3, as of today. Hope that answers your question.
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2020, 01:40 AM   #43
cookiesowns
;)
Rep
Drives: X5 45e, 535i N54, X3 N55

Quote:

ECUTek is a tuning solution, it's still up to the tuner you choose to be competent.

Having a tuner that knows BMW's inside and out is a very strong asset when tuning these things

Ultimately what I tell people... choose ecutek if you want to run Flexfuel Today, and know exactly what you want in a calibration for your car.

If you just want a flash and forget tune, both MHD, BM3 are good options.

For big power cars, ECUTek is night and day in what is available to the tuner to really dial in the calibration on your car.

Not all ECUTek tuners are equal, just like not all custom tuners on BM3 are equal
      10-14-2020, 09:26 AM   #44
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiesowns View Post
ECUTek is a tuning solution, it's still up to the tuner you choose to be competent.

Having a tuner that knows BMW's inside and out is a very strong asset when tuning these things

Ultimately what I tell people... choose ecutek if you want to run Flexfuel Today, and know exactly what you want in a calibration for your car.

If you just want a flash and forget tune, both MHD, BM3 are good options.

For big power cars, ECUTek is night and day in what is available to the tuner to really dial in the calibration on your car.

Not all ECUTek tuners are equal, just like not all custom tuners on BM3 are equal

Sadly, most people will not realize how underrated this statement is.
Appreciate 1