GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-02-2020, 05:11 PM   #1
papasmurf_m3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 M3

Hopefully this will help some people that are interested in going with Ecutek & unsure who to tune it. Ian @ Bend Calibration is a very good option. The results thus far speak for itself & we aren't done yet. Still working on map 2 E50 Kill tune. Haven't tuned map 3 & 4 yet. More to come!

My car is a 2016 M3 DCT w/ Full bolt ons, Ecutek racerom, full crank hub solution, bend calibration flex fuel kit & remote tune.

This is not Ecutek vs bootmod3 thread. No bashing here. If I wanted immediate proven results from a platform that has existed for several years for the S55 I would simply go bm3 or mhd no question. Those cars are fast!!

Ian is a guru with stand alone fuel management systems like Ecutek all the way to Motec. When I heard motec I really didn't need to hear anymore. That was good enough for me. So, I purchased the ultimate flex fuel package from Ian. It arrived & came with very precise instructions and helpful information for any bmw professional to clearly understand.

I'm very particular with my build & a perfectionist so when I researched bend calibration and realized I'm dealing with top notch professionals with in house dyno and specializing in S55 N55 and V2 B58. I knew it was going to go smoothly.

Ian did not disappoint! He came highly recommended by commanderwiggin. So that helps too. From day one it was nothing but professional. No lengthy conversations shooting the breeze. Just right down to it. I've come to realize Ian is so busy remote tuning Ecutek cars and other top end stand alone systems all day. He has no time for small talk or even talk on the phone. Great!! Even better.

Within 2-3 revisions my car was already hauling the mail on just pump gas. All revisions are done on the street and I can say the car drives buttery smooth not even a single hiccup or nuance.

On to the car ..... The smurf is an absolute riot to drive in map 1 & 2. I've gapped a pretty decent amount of fast modded cars with my map 2 kill tune. So far & most notably a FB0 GTR on E85 and Meth. Actually my buddies call me the GTR hunter 6 wins 0 losses. But, who's counting LoL.

Guys not everyone needs kill tune. A strong map 2 is really all you need it's more then enough power to blow the tires into last year. Kill tune is run at your own risk. I'm just a boost junkie so I can't help myself.

Here are my numbers & if you wanna watch the gaptations check out my IG/Tiktok @papasmurf_m3

So quick disclaimer: I know there are some cars running quicker times in negative DA & allowable downward slope for dragy, & cooler conditions then San Diego. That's great & I applaud them all I'm not the fastest but, I think the car runs pretty hard and I feel very blessed to be able to afford this hobby.

Dragy verified 60-130 mph times mostly in warm weather & high humidity. Besides most recent because it's just starting to cool down. Boost weather & tuned map 3 let's get into the mid 6s!!

Stock - 10.7
Ecutek Map 1 91 octane - 9.1 & E85 7.8
Ecutek Map 2 Kill Tune E50 only - 7.0
Ecutek map 3 Kill tune E81 - 100% meth - 6.7
Ecutek map 4 Kill tune E81 - 100% meth - setup for half mile 158 Mph with misfires. Based on logs should do 160-164 in perfect weather and flat slope.

We are still tuning and have not ran on meth or any higher then E50 yet and the car feels like a monster at any speed! Drives like stock then the torque hits like a ton of bricks!

I've been getting a lot of DM's from IG FB group and here about Ecutek and my experience with Ian & Bend calibration. So, I kinda felt this was long overdue! I just wanted to give it some time to really get a full understanding of all the variables before making a review. I could not be happier!! Getting an email from
Ian is like Christmas every time.

Working with a real professional with a solid business model and workflow is a breeze. You simply open your email flash your ecu make a log and send it back. Once you get into a rhythm it's cake.

Some people have asked me how long did it take to feel anything??? Was the weirdest question I've heard. So, from revision 1 base map the car was getting wild. By the time we were done with pump gas which was like 2-3 revisions I think? The car was taking down the all new 2020 911 Carrera S that runs 11.3@125 mph. We ran from a highway roll he let off just as I was pulling away about to gap him lol. Not bad for just a 91 oct tune and fbo.

Map 2 KILL Tune feels amazing. The smurf is taking some fast cars to gapplebees with 0 losses so far. The car will roast brand new 285 Michelin's into oblivion on the freeway from 3rd. That's quite impressive to me.

Best of all is the bend calibration flex fuel kit. I can have any blend of ethanol in my tank & the car runs to its maximum potential every time!! I went on a rally in Malibu with hyper cars and not only gapped every single car that I came across but, when I ran out of of E50 I just pumped in 91 and the car still drove great! No looking for spotty cell reception in the boonies of Malibu after midnight. No busting out the chemistry set checking E85 content mixing etc. no flashing maps just pour in and go.

That is why I chose to go Ecutek. I live a busy life & sometimes I take my family in the car so I don't have time for nonsense & fiddling around at the gas station or putting wrong mixture or poor quality fuel and sputtering limp mode, risking engine damage or just worrying. I spent the money on my car to enjoy without stress.

Ecutek & the flex fuel kit is a very premium product. It may not be for everyone but, those looking for a truly bespoke tune for your car, your actual type of ecu,, your mods, your fuel, and weather conditions. Ian and Ecutek are a great option.

Pros: flex fuel life, smoothness, power delivery, speed, map switching on the fly, torque adjustment on the fly, the ecutek app, viewing live ethanol content from idrive or through the ecutek dashboard, new updates hopefully combing soon!

Cons: Kill tune is not for everyone, you shouldn't beat on it all day, just for a kill and back to map 1, it's pricier then other options, takes longer to tune flex fuel, everything is bespoke tune only. It's a brand new platform so updates may take some time.

Ian is in with ecutek for the long haul. He's heavily invested with them and he's not going anywhere. More capabilities and useful options are in the works like rolling anti lag among other things. Sonya that's about it.

Thanks for looking & I hope this was useful. Any questions I'm happy to answer them to the best of my ability.

Cheers ��

[IMG]https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMJuyAqJp/[/IMG]

[IMG]https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMJuya9qS/[/IMG]

[IMG]https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMJuya8LR/[/IMG]
Attached Images

ecutek - bend calibration pro tune - flex fuel - mpe - stock turbos - oem+

Last edited by papasmurf_m3; 01-30-2021 at 02:11 AM..
Appreciate 12
      11-02-2020, 07:30 PM   #2
remixaflip
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M4 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf_m3 View Post
Hopefully this will help some people that are interested in going with Ecutek & unsure who to tune it. Well Guys, we think my results thus far speak for itself & we aren't done yet. Still fine tuning map 2. Haven't even began map 3 & 4 yet. Stay tuned!

My car is a 2016 M3 DCT w/ Full bolt ons, Ecutek racerom, & bend calibration flex fuel kit.

This is not Ecutek vs bootmod3 thread. No bashing here. If I wanted immediate proven results from a platform that has existed for several years for the S55 I would simply go bm3 or mhd no question. Those cars are fast!!

Ian is a guru with stand alone fuel management systems like Ecutek all the way to Motec. When I heard motec I really didn't need to hear anymore. That was good enough for me. So, I purchased the ultimate flex fuel package from Ian. It arrived & came with very precise instructions and helpful information for any bmw professional to clearly understand.

I'm very particular with my build & a perfectionist so when I researched bend calibration and realized I'm dealing with top notch professionals with in house dyno and specializing in S55 N55 and V2 B58. I knew it was going to go smoothly.

Ian did not disappoint! He came highly recommended by commanderwiggin. So that helps too. From day one it was nothing but professional. No lengthy conversations shooting the breeze. Just right down to it. Besides I've come to realize Ian is so busy remote tuning Ecutek cars and other top end stand alone systems all day. He has no time for small talk or even talk on the phone. Great!! Even better.

Within 2-3 revisions my car was already hauling the mail on just pump gas. All revisions are done on the street and I can say the car drives buttery smooth not even a single hiccup or nuance.

On to the car ..... The smurf is an absolute riot to drive in map 1 & 2. I've gapped a pretty decent amount of fast modded cars with my map 2 kill tune. So far & most notably a FB0 GTR on E85 and Meth. Actually my buddies call me the GTR hunter 6 wins 0 losses. But, who's counting LoL.

Guys not everyone needs kill tune. A strong map 2 is really all you need it's more then enough power to blow the tires into last year. Kill tune is run at your own risk. I'm just a boost junkie so I can't help myself.

Here are my numbers & if you wanna watch the gaptations check out my IG/Tiktok @papasmurf_m3

So quick disclaimer: I know there are some cars running quicker times in negative DA & allowable downward slope for dragy, & cooler conditions then San Diego. That's great & I applaud them all I'm not the fastest but, I think the car runs pretty hard and I feel very blessed to be able to afford this hobby.

Dragy verified 60-130 mph times mostly in warm weather & high humidity. Besides most recent because it's just starting to cool down. Boost weather & tuned map 3 let's get into the mid 6s!!

Stock - 10.7
Ecutek Map 1 91 octane - 9.1 (can do 8s)
Ecutek Map 2 Kill Tune E50 only - 7.1 (feelz like it will go quicker)
Ecutek map 3 Kill tune E?? - 100% meth - ?.?
Ecutek map 4 Kill tune E?? - 100% meth - setup for half mile ??? Mph

We are still tuning and have not ran on meth or any higher then E50 yet and the car feels like a monster at any speed! Drives like stock then the torque hits like a ton of bricks!

I've been getting a ton of DM's from IG and Here about Ecutek and my experience with Ian & Bend calibration. So, I kinda felt this was long overdue! I just wanted to give it some time to really get a full understanding of all the variables before making a review. I could not be happier!! Getting an email from
Ian is like Christmas every time.

Some people have asked me how long did it take to feel anything? Was the weirdest question I've heard. like from revision 1 base map the car was getting wild. By the time we were done with pump gas which was like 2-3 revisions I think? The car was taking down the all new 2020 911 Carrera S that runs 11.3@125 mph. We ran from a highway roll he let off just as I was pulling away about to gap him lol. Not bad for just a 91 oct tune and fbo.

Map 2 KILL Tune feels amazing. The smurf is taking lfast cars to gapplebees with 0 losses so far. The car will roast brand new 285 Michelin's into oblivion on the freeway from 3rd. That's quite impressive to me.

Best of all! The bend calibration flex fuel kit. I can have any blend of ethanol in my tank & the car runs to its maximum potential every time!! I went on a rally in Malibu with hyper cars and not only gapped every single car that it came across but when I ran out of of E50 I just pumped in 91 and the car still drove great! No looking for spotty cell reception Im the boonies of Malibu after midnight. No busting out the chemistry set checking E85 content mixing etc. no flashing maps just pour in and go.

That is why I chose to go Ecutek. I live a busy life & sometimes I take my family in the car so I don't have time for nonsense & fiddling around at the gas station or risking engine damage or just worrying. I spent the money on my car to enjoy without stress.

Ecutek & the flex fuel kit is a very premium product. It may not be for everyone but, those looking for a truly bespoke tune for your car your actual ecu, your mods, your fuel, and weather conditions. Ian and Ecutek are a great option.

Pros: flex fuel, power delivery, speed, map switching on the fly, torque adjustment on the fly, the ecutek app, viewing live ethanol content from ideive or through the ecutek dashboard, new updates hopefully combing soon!

Cons: Kill tune is not for everyone, you shouldn't beat on it all day, just for a kill and back to map 1, it's pricier then other options, takes longer to tune flex fuel, everything is bespoke tune only. It's a brand new platform so updates may take some time.

Ian is in with ecutek for the long haul. He's heavily invested with them and he's not going anywhere. More capabilities and useful options are in the works like rolling anti lag among other things.

Thanks for looking & I hope this was useful.

[IMG]https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMJuyAqJp/[/IMG]

[IMG]https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMJuya9qS/[/IMG]

[IMG]https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMJuya8LR/[/IMG]
Thanks for posting this, I've been waiting for your review! Glad to hear you like it. I'm I. The works of getting the same done to my car, can't wait to report back!
      11-02-2020, 07:57 PM   #3
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C - X3M - Turbo E46 M3 - 45E

Ian is the man, he definitely knows what's going on and has a very efficient process for tuning that makes things easier for the customer and/or any shops doing any of the work.

I'm a big fan especially of the Bend Calibration flex fuel filter kit...install was a breeze and it has the highest quality parts.

11-03-2020, 12:08 AM   #4
papasmurf_m3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
Ian is the man, he definitely knows what's going on and has a very efficient process for tuning that makes things easier for the customer and/or any shops doing any of the work.

I'm a big fan especially of the Bend Calibration flex fuel filter kit...install was a breeze and it has the highest quality parts.

No doubt the quality is top notch like that injector dynamics F750 fuel filter. That setup alone is a work of art.

I appreciate your help also Kent! Your assistance is always greatly appreciated.

Appreciate 2
      11-03-2020, 12:12 AM   #5
papasmurf_m3
Captain
United_States
Rep

You're gonna love it! Ian's tunes are very crisp.

The questions started repeating themselves often so I felt it was time to post a formal review about Ian, even though I'm not fully tuned yet lol.

Last edited by papasmurf_m3; 11-03-2020 at 11:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 10:43 AM   #6
Detoxified
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C HS

Quote:

Would this filter system be able to accommodate an upgraded fuel system to run full E85 at high power outputs? Sorry if this is a dumb question as I am not very knowledgeable with the S55 fueling system/fuel system upgrade path.

I plan on going PI for full E85 potential. Don't want to go WMI route..
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2020, 11:03 AM   #7
papasmurf_m3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixaflip View Post
Thanks for posting this, I've been waiting for your review! Glad to hear you like it. I'm I. The works of getting the same done to my car, can't wait to report back!
You're gonna love it! Ian's tunes are very crisp.

The questions started repeating themselves often so I felt it was time to post a formal review about Ian, even though I'm not fully tuned yet lol.

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 12:01 PM   #8
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C - X3M - Turbo E46 M3 - 45E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxified View Post
Quote:

Would this filter system be able to accommodate an upgraded fuel system to run full E85 at high power outputs? Sorry if this is a dumb question as I am not very knowledgeable with the S55 fueling system/fuel system upgrade path.

I plan on going PI for full E85 potential. Don't want to go WMI route..
Yes! The F750 filter has been used in GTR's pushing 1500whp; in that type of application the fuel lines would need to be larger to accommodate.
      11-03-2020, 12:53 PM   #9
c4ss
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 BMW M3 ZCP 6MT

Great review. Is the calibration flex fuel kit something one with decent auto knowledge can install yourself?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 03:36 PM   #10
papasmurf_m3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4ss View Post
Great review. Is the calibration flex fuel kit something one with decent auto knowledge can install yourself?
Thanks! Yes, it's actually quite simple to install and its plug and play.

No splicing no cutting. The Bend calibration flex fuel kit comes with its own CAD designed 3d printed bracket that bolts on to existing threaded holes. No drilling required!

Appreciate 2
      01-26-2021, 04:42 PM   #11
JustAnothaM4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

Garage List
2016 BMW M4 GTS  [0.00]
This is interesting....Have you done any dyno runs to see the delta changes?

How long did it take to DIY the flex fuel kit? Any tips?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 06:40 PM   #12
ssgm1x
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i & 2018 M3

Quote:

No splicing no cutting. The Bend calibration flex fuel kit comes with its own CAD designed 3d printed bracket that bolts on to existing threaded holes. No drilling required!
great post...thx !!!!
      01-26-2021, 06:58 PM   #13
papasmurf_m3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by project e46m3 View Post
This is interesting....Have you done any dyno runs to see the delta changes?

How long did it take to DIY the flex fuel kit? Any tips?
Doesn't take that long just take your time and follow the instructions. Don't cut corners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgm1x View Post
Quote:

great post...thx !!!!
Thank your sir!

Here's an update for you guys! I ran this while still on beta mapping while we were waiting for the updates from Ecutek.

We finally got them plus rolling anti lag among other things. I'm retuning flex fuel maps now.

Not too bad for humid San Diego weather. It's not negative 1,500 DA, maximum allowable slope or 35 degrees out but, It's what the car ran.

The car feels really good & I don't see other F8X's w/ stock turbos in SoCal running 6s.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 08:05 PM   #14
AlpineF80
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Awesome 60-130!
Was this on E85 + Meth or a lesser ethanol blend?
      01-28-2021, 02:34 PM   #15
JustAnothaM4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

Garage List
2016 BMW M4 GTS  [0.00]
Dyno results showing the delta changes?
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2021, 03:07 PM   #16
ghost.f82
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp

Could you post some 100-200 screenshots for us Europeans please 🙂
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2021, 01:43 AM   #17
papasmurf_m3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineF80 View Post
Awesome 60-130!
Was this on E85 + Meth or a lesser ethanol blend?
E85+ Meth

Quote:
Originally Posted by project e46m3 View Post
Dyno results showing the delta changes?
We will dyno when we're done tuning. Just fine tuning. I'm sure the car is every bit of 600+wtq

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost.f82 View Post
Could you post some 100-200 screenshots for us Europeans please 🙂
Here you go sir!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      01-29-2021, 06:30 AM   #18
ghost.f82
Private
Rep

Quote:
E85+ Meth

We will dyno when we're done tuning. Just fine tuning. I'm sure the car is every bit of 600+wtq

Here you go sir!
That's nice! Slightly faster than my 5.9 100-200 using 93 + meth, lovely job
Appreciate 2
      01-30-2021, 01:45 AM   #19
papasmurf_m3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thank you kind sir. 5.9 is cookin also! These cars can go pretty fast with the stock turbos. Especially in proper cool weather.

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 08:00 AM   #20
ghost.f82
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thank you kind sir. 5.9 is cookin also! These cars can go pretty fast with the stock turbos. Especially in proper cool weather.
Oh totally! I’ve done a 4.7 in the cold but also the wet. Hoping to try that again with some traction, but it’s a very hot kill tune so kinda worried for the engine
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 10:41 AM   #21
E92inSG
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

4.7s 100-200 with stock turbos? That’s GOT TO be a record!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 04:41 PM   #22
ghost.f82
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92inSG View Post
4.7s 100-200 with stock turbos? That’s GOT TO be a record!
oh no, thats on my new setup with PS2+
Appreciate 0