Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-07-2020, 04:36 PM   #1
kerkiraios00
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 MW M3

My AA EL midpipe just came in and had it installed right away. I drove from NJ to NY I must say it sounds good but it's a lot quieter than my previous AA midpipe. I currently have gintani catless DP and stock rear zcp exhaust. I originally was thinking to get non resonated but AA recommend to get resonated if you have catless DP bc it gets really raspy. Not sure what to do has anyone had a similar set up previously and when with resonated now? I wanted the exhaust louder not quieter lol

AA single midpipe

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e5i6g1vpzv...%20AM.mov?dl=0

AA EL midpipe

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xa5nzo3wze...%20PM.mov?dl=0
2018 F80 M3 ZCP Mineral White- Extended Shakir Orange - Full Suntek Ultra Wrapped - ///M Performance Spoiler - RKP Front Lip - RKP Side Skirts - Vorsteiner GTS Diffuser -AA Mid-Pipe-///M performance HAS kit - HRE P101

11 E90 M3 JEREZ BLK METALLIC ZCP SOLD
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 09:31 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Since you want more sound, I recommend changing the axle back. REMUS would be a perfect fit with your catless downpipes since its not obnoxiously loud

I agree with active regarding catless DP + non-res mid, its raspy

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 05:05 PM   #3
kerkiraios00
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Since you want more sound, I recommend changing the axle back. REMUS would be a perfect fit with your catless downpipes since its not obnoxiously loud

I agree with active regarding catless DP + non-res mid, its raspy
Thank you for the reply, rather keep my axel back but I have to change something it's not loud at all unless I go back to the original AA single mid pipe.. I just don't understand my old mid pipe didn't have resonators and it wasn't that raspy what's the difference with the EQ?
2018 F80 M3 ZCP Mineral White- Extended Shakir Orange - Full Suntek Ultra Wrapped - ///M Performance Spoiler - RKP Front Lip - RKP Side Skirts - Vorsteiner GTS Diffuser -AA Mid-Pipe-///M performance HAS kit - HRE P101

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 05:37 PM   #4
brad65ford
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3

Wondering how a catless yet resonated dp would sound with these EL mids with stock cat back.

Before these EL were available I had the AA single pipe with resonated dp's and loved the sound.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 07:13 PM   #5
cmlf80m3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerkiraios00 View Post
Thank you for the reply, rather keep my axel back but I have to change something it's not loud at all unless I go back to the original AA single mid pipe.. I just don't understand my old mid pipe didn't have resonators and it wasn't that raspy what's the difference with the EQ?
in the second video with the aa el midpipe, are the valves open? I got AR resonated downpipes and was thinking about getting the aa el midpipe but I must agreed it sound very quiet.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 07:29 PM   #6
kerkiraios00
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmlf80m3 View Post
Quote:
in the second video with the aa el midpipe, are the valves open? I got AR resonated downpipes and was thinking about getting the aa el midpipe but I must agreed it sound very quiet.
It is bro lol I doubled checked myself bc I couldn't believe how low it sounded.. I wanted it louder not quieter.. idk what to do thinking maybe put my single mid back on

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad65ford View Post
Wondering how a catless yet resonated dp would sound with these EL mids with stock cat back.

Before these EL were available I had the AA single pipe with resonated dp's and loved the sound.
Not sure mine are non resonated

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 08:02 PM   #7
Wmf80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

This EL doesn’t seem to be great as previously advertised. I don’t even hear about the the other brands that were pushing into the market anymore.
I have a AWE switchpath, was considering the AA EL non res but seems that it would disappoint me.

The EL makes it sound like my f30 335 with AWE. Sound clip to compare.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 06:53 AM   #8
Rokoz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 f80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmf80 View Post
This EL doesn’t seem to be great as previously advertised. I don’t even hear about the the other brands that were pushing into the market anymore.
I have a AWE switchpath, was considering the AA EL non res but seems that it would disappoint me.

The point of EL is to get that traditional i6/i6 single turbo sound so it should sound similar to an n55

TGM is still making exhaust, most folks just don’t want to swap to a full system and they’d rather use their current mufflers. On top of that, AA has huge brand recognition and they’ve done a good job with this MP and their single one for this car so that’s all people talk about
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 07:34 AM   #9
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Maybe you could try installing the non-resonated extensions from the single mid pipe on your equal length mid pipe and see if it fits. A lot of people want to know if they can swap the extensions from the AA Single to the EL and vice versa.

Maybe you need your Single Mid back to get the volume back up?
      11-09-2020, 08:04 AM   #10
whitstap
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 15 f80 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
Maybe you could try installing the non-resonated extensions from the single mid pipe on your equal length mid pipe and see if it fits. A lot of people want to know if they can swap the extensions from the AA Single to the EL and vice versa.

Yes you can swap the non-res rear sections from the Single mid to the EL mid and vice versa so long as they are cut for same rear muffler of course... it will be louder/more raw but it will have a resonance around 2k rpm w/ catless DP’s
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 08:17 AM   #11
YKIGI
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Quadrifoglio

Quote:
My AA EL midpipe just came in and had it installed right away. I drove from NJ to NY I must say it sounds good but it's a lot quieter than my previous AA midpipe. I currently have gintani catless DP and stock rear zcp exhaust. I originally was thinking to get non resonated but AA recommend to get resonated if you have catless DP bc it gets really raspy. Not sure what to do has anyone had a similar set up previously and when with resonated now? I wanted the exhaust louder not quieter lol

AA single midpipe

AA EL midpipe

This setup is a miss man. (Above)

You need different downpipes (gonna have to do some homework) then non res EL paired with stock ZCP for the best outcome for stock rear.

E46 wagon ~ E46 330ci ZHP ~E46 M3 Sold ~ E92 335i Sold ~ E90 M3 Sold ~ F82 M4 Sold <- All Manuals
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 08:19 AM   #12
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmf80 View Post

In my opinion, the equal length is the best sounding midpipe on the market, it changes the sound to almost naturallly aspirated with lots of volume and no rasp.

You just have to pick your setup very carefully. I recommend that customers check with me regarding resonated vs non-res before placing the order

Appreciate 1
YKIGI248.00
      11-09-2020, 08:24 AM   #13
JeffB-M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

I kinda like the AA EL midpipe sound...but it obviously depends on what you're looking for. Is there any drone or other sound issues with it...aside from being too quiet.

Good luck finding the perfect fit!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 08:35 AM   #14
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB-M3 View Post
I kinda like the AA EL midpipe sound...but it obviously depends on what you're looking for. Is there any drone or other sound issues with it...aside from being too quiet.

If you pick the correct setup, no drone

i have ER catted downpipe + EL resonated + REMUS axle-back, certainly not quiet with the valves open

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 09:34 AM   #15
Boostin FD
Bored all the time
United_States
Rep
Drives: Batmobile

Any of these midpipes work on the GTS without chopping up the exhaust? On my previous GTS, i had to cut the exhaust to fit the AA midpipe... Wasn't too happy about that, but i liked the sound. ON the current GTS, I would prefer not to have to cut anything... is there such a midpipe that would work? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 09:52 AM   #16
Trevorstein
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Trabant

Quote:

Exactly!

Or, worst case scenario…

Go to your local muffler shop, cut off the (included - at extra cost) "AA" resonators
(which you could probably sell, btw) and weld a section of 304 SS straight pipe in
there. G.L.!!

Cheers!

11-09-2020, 11:36 AM   #17
kerkiraios00
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Yea i think i might give it a shot but I don't see how they would fit aren't the single mid and el mid diff lengths?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitstap View Post
Yes you can swap the non-res rear sections from the Single mid to the EL mid and vice versa so long as they are cut for same rear muffler of course... it will be louder/more raw but it will have a resonance around 2k rpm w/ catless DP’s
so its def doable? im gonna try it for sure bc my next option is to change my zcp rear or go back to my single mid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YKIGI View Post
This setup is a miss man. (Above)

You need different downpipes (gonna have to do some homework) then non res EL paired with stock ZCP for the best outcome for stock rear.
You dont like the sound? whats a miss? I dont think the brand of a DP is going to make the difference. I'm going to try swapping the extensions if they fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB-M3 View Post
I kind of like the AA EL midpipe sound...but it obviously depends on what you're looking for. Is there any drone or other sound issues with it...aside from being too quiet.

I like it too better than the single mid i just want it a little louder its a little to quiet for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
If you pick the correct setup, no drone

i have ER catted downpipe + EL resonated + REMUS axle-back, certainly not quiet with the valves open
Do you have any videos of that set up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorstein View Post
Exactly!

Or, worst case scenario…

Go to your local muffler shop, cut off the (included - at extra cost) "AA" resonators
(which you could probably sell, btw) and weld a section of 304 SS straight pipe in
there. G.L.!!

Cheers!

True or just try swapping the single mid extensions with the EL extensions

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 12:27 PM   #18
YKIGI
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

AA single midpipe

AA EL midpipe

“You dont like the sound? whats a miss? I dont think the brand of a DP is going to make the difference. I'm going to try swapping the extensions if they fit.”

It’s not the brand. IMO opinion, what I was referring to is...

The best way to get a stock rear to sound good and also loud. Is a different variation of DP other than what you have plus non res EL and stock rear.

To me the catless with the resonated is a miss. It won’t ever be “loud enough” for you

The catless with the non res and stock rear is horrible, I’ll tell you that right now.
It’s loud, but atrocious

E46 wagon ~ E46 330ci ZHP ~E46 M3 Sold ~ E92 335i Sold ~ E90 M3 Sold ~ F82 M4 Sold <- All Manuals
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 05:01 PM   #19
kerkiraios00
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

AA single midpipe

AA EL midpipe

“You dont like the sound? whats a miss? I dont think the brand of a DP is going to make the difference. I'm going to try swapping the extensions if they fit.”

It’s not the brand. IMO opinion, what I was referring to is...

The best way to get a stock rear to sound good and also loud. Is a different variation of DP other than what you have plus non res EL and stock rear.

To me the catless with the resonated is a miss. It won’t ever be “loud enough” for you

The catless with the non res and stock rear is horrible, I’ll tell you that right now.
It’s loud, but atrocious
Oh ok you've heard it in person? I was thinking of putting my single mid pipe extensions on my EL

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 05:14 PM   #20
YKIGI
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Oh ok you've heard it in person? I was thinking of putting my single mid pipe extensions on my EL
Yea. Those extensions should sound just like the non res EL.
That mix with catless is going to be very very raspy.

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 06:33 PM   #21
kerkiraios00
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yea. Those extensions should sound just like the non res EL.
That mix with catless is going to be very very raspy.
Only way to find out for sure lol

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 06:48 PM   #22
YKIGI
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Only way to find out for sure lol

Appreciate 0