European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

09-10-2019, 03:46 PM   #1
Apollo_Pro
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

So I've been experiencing an intermittent high pitched squeal coming from the engine bay but I can't pinpoint exactly where it's coming from. Sounds like charge pipe side but sounded lower.

I removed my left intake and both charge pipes thinking it was cracked but no damage or cracks and all seals were secured.

If it was an air leak, it would be consistent. If it was a belt or alternator we would hear the grinding. But it happens cold hot idle and under power.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 11:38 PM   #2
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo_Pro View Post
So I've been experiencing an intermittent high pitched squeal coming from the engine bay but I can't pinpoint exactly where it's coming from. Sounds like charge pipe side but sounded lower.

I removed my left intake and both charge pipes thinking it was cracked but no damage or cracks and all seals were secured.

If it was an air leak, it would be consistent. If it was a belt or alternator we would hear the grinding. But it happens cold hot idle and under power.

Thoughts?
I just spoke with someone on the Facebook groups who had this issue. His was a higher mileage car and his car sounded like a tea kettle. If that’s the case with you, it’s your valve cover. He replaced the whole thing with the gaskets and such.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 11:42 PM   #3
Apollo_Pro
Rep

Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
Quote:

Thoughts?
I just spoke with someone on the Facebook groups who had this issue. His was a higher mileage car and his car sounded like a tea kettle. If that’s the case with you, it’s your valve cover. He replaced the whole thing with the gaskets and such.
Does it sound like this?

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 11:45 PM   #4
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Does it sound like this?

Yes exactly. So it’s something regarding the valve cover. What’s the mileage on the car?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 11:47 PM   #5
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

See photos
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 05:26 AM   #6
Apollo_Pro
Rep

Quote:
See photos
It's got 60,000. Do you also know the Facebook group so I can read that thread more?

Also, had to already have the intercooler replaced too due to it leaking internally.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 10:23 AM   #7
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
See photos
It's got 60,000. Do you also know the Facebook group so I can read that thread more?

Also, had to already have the intercooler replaced too due to it leaking internally.
See photo. Once you're accepted let me know and I'll tag you.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 10:26 AM   #8
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Easy way to confirm: run the engine at idle while it's making the sound and take off the oil fill cap. If the noise goes away, you should replace the valve cover. The integrated PCV valve diaphgram tears and causes crankcase pressure to be too high. Opening the oil fill cap lets the pressure escape and the noise stops. We just fixed this on an M4 yesterday by replacing the valve cover.

The excess crankcase pressure causes air to whistle as it blows past the rear main seal or elsewhere. IMO, if you have the noise it's best to fix it soon before you cause the oil seals to fail and then you have to deal with anther expensive repair like dropping the transmission to replace the rear main seal.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 06:37 PM   #9
Apollo_Pro
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
Easy way to confirm: run the engine at idle while it's making the sound and take off the oil fill cap. If the noise goes away, you should replace the valve cover. The integrated PCV valve diaphgram tears and causes crankcase pressure to be too high. Opening the oil fill cap lets the pressure escape and the noise stops. We just fixed this on an M4 yesterday by replacing the valve cover.

The excess crankcase pressure causes air to whistle as it blows past the rear main seal or elsewhere. IMO, if you have the noise it's best to fix it soon before you cause the oil seals to fail and then you have to deal with anther expensive repair like dropping the transmission to replace the rear main seal.
Yup! That sounds like that's the issue! Brought it to BMW today and talked with a master tech and he confirmed the valve cover needs replacement due to the PCV failure! Covered under extended warranty!

Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 03:58 PM   #10
Michell
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:

How long take to damage the rear main seal.?
Appreciate 1
      12-25-2019, 04:08 PM   #11
Brasko
#LSBM3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Yup! That sounds like that's the issue! Brought it to BMW today and talked with a master tech and he confirmed the valve cover needs replacement due to the PCV failure! Covered under extended warranty!

Thanks guys.
Glad you have a resolve. Keep us posted on the results. Would be interesting to see if this becomes a common occurrence when odometer hits the 60k+ mark.

/// M3
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 03:36 PM   #12
Andrew30azs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW m4

Same issue 70😳k miles .
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 09:37 PM   #13
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Would this be covered under longer emissions warranty?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 07:14 AM   #14
Andrew30azs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW m4

Yes And no . My car just passed 71600k

And they are really strict to this mileage . Everything need to be replace
From
Out of my pocket
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 12:19 PM   #15
reggienaz
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Same issue. 18 m4 comp 50120 on the odometer. Factory warranty expired 22 days ago and 120 miles ago 😂😢
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 12:55 PM   #16
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

To check for the "valve cover PCV squeal" start the car and when it squeals turn your oil fill cap but DONT remove, lift the edge just enough to let air in. If the squeal stops then you've confirmed the PCV diaphragm inside the valve cover has torn. Replace valve cover and valve cover gasket with OEM only (no VTT "upgraded" cover, no 3rd party gasket).
      01-13-2022, 12:47 AM   #17
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Yeah, I had this at 85K. I have a thread on a hack fix but definitely do what TopJimmy is saying and vent the oil cap. If you hear a loud hiss and the sound goes away there's a good chance the diaphragm is ripped and stuck in the closed position so your engine cannot properly vent. It's a really questionable design on BMWs part especially with the failure rate (seems to be EVERY car) but then again it's guaranteed revenue down the road for them.
      01-13-2022, 11:11 AM   #18
Tangent
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01, F82, E89, F25

It's a good idea to replace the vent hose that goes from the valve cover to the intake as well when you do this job; mine was cracked and brittle. Part 14 in this diagram: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=11_5633
Appreciate 0