Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

09-25-2018, 12:13 PM   #89
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
I do, honestly. And we cross shopped the two.

I do think that you have to have at least the GTS or Turbo, and it has to have PASM (standard in GTS, optional in Turbo). If you drove the S or base, i can kind of see where you're coming from.

If by "not as well-packaged" you mean space for humans and cargo, i agree with that too. The Macan has tight rear legroom and the steep rake of the back compromises rear cargo space and headroom.

Finally, yes - the car is expensive.

But as far as being a "small performance SUV", as much of a misnomer as that term is, the Macan GTS and Turbo have no equal. Again, maybe the Stelvio but i have no experience with that one yet.
I only drove an S with 340 HP, it also had a setting for suspension, some sort of 2 part dampening setting (i am not sure if that is PASM or not). It also had sport / sport plus modes etc. Here were some of my findings-

1) the 340 hp just felt awfully slow, I mean I know it's an SUV but i expected a little more get go
2) even with suspension in max firmness, it just did not feel dynamic in any way and still floated quite a bit
3) the interior is super dated, i know 2019 is a refresh and it needs it as that navi and overall interface layout is prehistoric
4) last but not least is the price... the S model can cost up to 80K, I just don't see how anyone would purchase that car for that price

Again, I know the GTS and Turbo exist but then u can easily almost step into x5m territory with the 90k turbo... i just dont see the the appeal at all. At least in a Q5 which is very cheap, you know what you're getting yourself into. The Macan to me seems improperly advertised as a truly sporty SUV which it does not feel like.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 01:09 PM   #90
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Quote:
It's funny how people with such a shared passion can disagree so completely. I have the totally opposite opinion as you guys.

The Macan to me - either the GTS or the Turbo with PASM - is the best small SUV on the market IMO, with the caveat that i have not yet driven the Stelvio QF.

I'm not sure if you guys are saying that the Macan is shit and overpriced as an SUV, though, or if you're saying that it's no Cayman or 911. I totally disagree that it's shit, somewhat agree that it's overpriced, and totally agree that it's no 911/Cayman
Do you find the Macan any better than an Sq5 or a Q5? i find it worse and not as well packaged... its unfair to compare price wise but the x5m and x6m are true sporty suv's... bmw did something incredible w those, i expect the samw w the x3m... porsche neither created a very sporty suv or good overall suv
I do, honestly. And we cross shopped the two.

I do think that you have to have at least the GTS or Turbo, and it has to have PASM (standard in GTS, optional in Turbo). If you drove the S or base, i can kind of see where you're coming from.

If by "not as well-packaged" you mean space for humans and cargo, i agree with that too. The Macan has tight rear legroom and the steep rake of the back compromises rear cargo space and headroom.

Finally, yes - the car is expensive.

But as far as being a "small performance SUV", as much of a misnomer as that term is, the Macan GTS and Turbo have no equal. Again, maybe the Stelvio but i have no experience with that one yet.
Note the Alfa please. The moment you put it in the mix, people will say it sux because of uk own reliability and lack of dealer support and unpredictable future for the brand/model in US.

Btw I actually cross shopped Macan S and Turbo ageist M3 and C63 back in 2015.... and I agree Macan is not a performance car. Even turbo and pasm don't make it one. And for SUV is very small. What it is though is a chance to have 60-70k new p-car daily badge and it is a very good p-car just not a performance car....
      09-25-2018, 05:28 PM   #91
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

Quote:
I only drove an S with 340 HP, it also had a setting for suspension, some sort of 2 part dampening setting (i am not sure if that is PASM or not). It also had sport / sport plus modes etc. Here were some of my findings-

1) the 340 hp just felt awfully slow, I mean I know it's an SUV but i expected a little more get go
2) even with suspension in max firmness, it just did not feel dynamic in any way and still floated quite a bit
3) the interior is super dated, i know 2019 is a refresh and it needs it as that navi and overall interface layout is prehistoric
4) last but not least is the price... the S model can cost up to 80K, I just don't see how anyone would purchase that car for that price

Again, I know the GTS and Turbo exist but then u can easily almost step into x5m territory with the 90k turbo... i just dont see the the appeal at all. At least in a Q5 which is very cheap, you know what you're getting yourself into. The Macan to me seems improperly advertised as a truly sporty SUV which it does not feel like.
I usually agree with you- but the Macan is an amazing car for me.

We have a base Macan in my extended family loaded with luxury options, and 0 performance ones. I have also test drove a GTS as well.

Yes, the interior is basic, but the dynamics of the suv really connects me to it, even the base Macan which shocked me. I have driven the previous gen q5 as well, they are completely different cars based on the same platform.

I would honestly take a nice Macan Turbo over my X5M to be honest. I won't get into details, but it is not as rewarding to drive.

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 07:03 PM   #92
JackieChiles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 MR M3 6MT

Quote:

My wife had a loaded up Macan s with air suspension and now has a x5m.

The engine in the Macan is the only downside. Pdk is incredible and better than the 8 speed in the x5m which is also excellent.

The x5m handles well for a large suv but the Macan handled and ride way better. The suspension tuning, handling balance and compliance is not comparable at all. The Macan kills it.

It’s an excellent sporty suv. If we didn’t need more space we would still have it. The turbo and gts models have notably more power and are awesome cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 09:29 PM   #93
Funf6cyl
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6 cyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieChiles View Post
My wife had a loaded up Macan s with air suspension and now has a x5m.

The engine in the Macan is the only downside. Pdk is incredible and better than the 8 speed in the x5m which is also excellent.

The x5m handles well for a large suv but the Macan handled and ride way better. The suspension tuning, handling balance and compliance is not comparable at all. The Macan kills it.

It’s an excellent sporty suv. If we didn’t need more space we would still have it. The turbo and gts models have notably more power and are awesome cars.
Spot on! I absolutely love my Macan GTS and it’s also my favorite liking SUV. No bad angle and the interior quality is exceptional (especially at the price point). I have as much fun driving it as I do my Porsche sports cars because of the driving experience it offers.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 09:56 PM   #94
Racer20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 228i THP, E46 ZHP

I was pretty impressed with the Macan GTS that I drove. Of course it's not an M3, but for a DD SUV, it's a lot of fun. That said, I test drove a B9 S4 immediately after and the value proposition of the Macan simply wasn't there for the extra $25k. If the S4 wasn't so damn good for $65k, I'd have a Macan GTS sitting next to my F80 right now.
      10-06-2018, 02:26 PM   #95
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

Huge Porsche event last weekend at Laguna Seca! Anyone else there?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
MaynardZed1231.00
      10-06-2018, 07:34 PM   #96
BluM4
Private
Rep
Drives: Blue M4

Quote:

My wife drives a Macan S and she loves it. I agree with you about the acceleration and suspension. However, the quality of the interior material is MILE better than my F82. She also has the 14 ways seat. It holds much better than the F82's when I drove on the curvy back roads.

Oh, the DCT is not as good as the PDK. PDK likes an AI that knows exactly when I want to shift.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 09:42 AM   #97
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
Still having a blast with the GTS on the track since my race car sits dormant until my race shop can get to it. Had a great little rabbit to chase (Ariel Atom) on Saturday which helped me cruise to any east time trial win.

Sunday the track wasn’t offering any decent times as it tried to recover from some overnight storms.

WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889
Appreciate 2
minn1914012.00
dkhm31880.50
      10-14-2018, 05:41 PM   #98
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
More track fun in the 991.1 GTS. NASA time trials at Arizona Motorsports Park, TT3 personal best lap of 1:48.894. The Porsche is stock except for Cup2 tires.

For comparison, my best lap time in the M4 at this track was 1:54.352 on R888’s. The M4 would also be in the “faster” TT2 class because of it's tremendous power. Best lap in my E36 race car here is 1:50.1 I believe.

WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889

Last edited by MaynardZed; 10-15-2018 at 08:03 PM..
Appreciate 0