Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

View Poll Results: Preferred Track Setting? DSC, MDM or OFF?
DSC - Full On 3 2.29%
MDM 52 39.69%
DSC Fully Off 76 58.02%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

07-18-2018, 11:00 PM   #23
97supratt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: porsche and mercedes

I gotta be honest, I don't know what MDM is but turn everything OFF! If you know what you're doing the f80 rewards you. If you don't, you're toast but it's managable haha unlike some other cars (ferrari, porsche, lambo, etc).

Get a proper alignment, change the pads, and practice with the f80.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 01:00 PM   #24
ptyf80
Panama
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 Mineral Gray

Smile

I just bought my f80 on June 16, coming from a Lexus ISF i can tell that this car is something else. I got it with 7,000miles and loaded with Dinan S2, M Performance Titatunium Exhaust, fabspeed downpipes and x-pipe (these last two are not installed currently, since with the downpipes previous owner got an "overboost check message" during a track day.

I used to track my ISF and the M3 will be used for the same. So on july the first went to our local (only one track in the entire country, I live in Panama). Got the car with the second pair os wheels (also came with the car), i removed the hoosiers that were installed and installed a DOT Toyo´s R888R 245 35 19 and 275 35 19.

first laps took it slowly and used DSC full on, but its amazing how much power get lost when DSC is on, so a few laps later switched to MDM. I think tires were too narrow because the car was power sliding all over the place, so DSC full off was not an option.... at least for now.

Maybe in my next track day with wider tires ( im considering going to 18 with 10.5 and 11 wheels and 275 35 and 305 30 with maybe the same R888R´s or might evaluate NT01 or even but expensier Trofeo´s R.

I need more grip and then ill will turn the DSC full off.

Thoughts???

This is my first post. here is a video of a few laps during that track day

PTYF80
2016 F80 M3 - Mineral Gray - DinanS2
Panama City, Panama

Last edited by ptyf80; 07-19-2018 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: wrong tire size
Appreciate 2
Dr._Who124.50
      07-19-2018, 03:40 PM   #25
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

It is faster with DSC and MDM off.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 05:59 PM   #26
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptyf80 View Post
Toyo´s R888R 245 35 19 and 275 35 19.

I need more grip and then ill will turn the DSC full off.
I think it's worth it to use your current tires and figure it out. More grip just means you'll be going faster when the power oversteer happens?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 11:36 PM   #27
ptyf80
Panama
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 Mineral Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
I think it's worth it to use your current tires and figure it out. More grip just means you'll be going faster when the power oversteer happens?
they´re gone, i used on two track days with the ISF and on this one with the F80 they ended up almost as a slick tire. So anyways i need to buy replacement ones.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 08:24 AM   #28
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I think it is a question of perception. I actually prefer the Sport+ engine setting for the track. I find it more direct, immediate and precise which allows me to better control the attitude of the car, whereas Sport has some artificial dampening in the response.

IMO, the Sport+ engine setting can only be truly enjoyed with DSC completely off.

On tight turns Sport Plus dumps too much torque imo, where with Sport i can get on the power much earlier without upsetting the car!
The Support plus makes the throttle too sensitive like a on off switch
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 09:24 AM   #29
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by anglo View Post
On tight turns Sport Plus dumps too much torque imo, where with Sport i can get on the power much earlier without upsetting the car!
The Support plus makes the throttle too sensitive like a on off switch
That's the thing, your foot might "be getting on the throttle earlier", but the engine is not delivering the power any earlier because of the damping effect, so what's the point? I rather have my foot control the power delivery than the software, like this I can get either smooth or sharp transitions depending on what I want. Sport+ is far from being an on/off switch, it is in fact very linear, but it does respond immediately to any movement. It is only a question of properly calibrating your right foot.

As a tidbit, I often notice that when students struggle with smooth throttle control it is related to the foot position on the throttle pedal. On throttle pedals that are hinged at the bottom like we have on our cars, it is preferable to have the entire foot resting flat on the pedal with the heel against the hinge. If the heel is away from the hinge with only the toes pressing on the middle of the pedal, a smaller foot movement will result in a larger pedal movement making it more difficult to be precise. Also, it is difficult to position the heel at exactly the same distance from the pedal when the foot is moved from the brake to the throttle, so depending on the heel position, a different foot movement will result in a different pedal movement, making it very challenging to program muscle memory. Further, when the heel rest away from the hinge, the toes need to slip up and down the pedal as the pedal is moved and the friction between the shoe sole and the pedal can cause jerkiness in the movement. Might not be the case for you, but worthwhile mentioning.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 07-20-2018 at 09:34 AM..
Appreciate 5
hwalk116.00
MRV99253.50
      07-20-2018, 03:11 PM   #30
Caliboy951
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslide View Post
So - what is your preferred track setting? Full DSC, MDM or DSC fully off?
This depends on your driving skill and ability. My advice is to get used to the track in MDM mode and once you're comfortable with the track then turn everything off.
This is what I did and now I'm turning laps fast enough to get 2 different companies to sponsor my car (Torco Oils and Bimmerworld).

Get used to the track then unleash the hounds!!!

Last edited by Caliboy951; 07-20-2018 at 03:24 PM..
Appreciate 2
tke743738.50
jacobe92619.00
      07-20-2018, 08:15 PM   #31
Kbueno
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbueno View Post
If you are new to tracking, a good club would put you in a beginners group with instruction. The nannies will give you a false sense of security and will make it difficult to learn and progress.

I use MDM on the first couple laps of the first session on a new track, otherwise it's off, unless it's raining. I think it's important to know the limits, never go 10/10s and have fun!
Never going 10/10ths, and not using data to benchmark will also make it difficult to learn and progress

And, if we are being honest, starting to track in a powerful car like f80 makes the learning curve steeper
I don't need to go 10/10s to have fun, it's not like we are pro racing drivers. I drive hard where there is room..when there is a wall or other hazard, I back off especially with an expensive road car
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 08:41 PM   #32
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
I don't need to go 10/10s to have fun, it's not like we are pro racing drivers. I drive hard where there is room..when there is a wall or other hazard, I back off especially with an expensive road car
Agreed on all counts.

That's why I decided to stop tracking in expensive road cars and go to cheapo competition cars, so I can improve myself with less $ on the line and with more safety

My personal revelation came when I borrowed my brother's GT4 at mosport and I was only keeping up with a Miata NC modified to mx5 cup specification. I was driving hard where there was room and backed off in the sketchier areas like T2 and the result was mx5 cup caliber of times in a Gt4

Edit: Aiming to do my first endurance race this sept. Should be super fun. Fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 08:42 PM   #33
Kbueno
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Quote:
Agreed on all counts.

That's why I decided to stop tracking in expensive road cars and go to cheapo competition cars, so I can improve myself with less $ on the line and with more safety

My personal revelation came when I borrowed my brother's GT4 at mosport and I was only keeping up with a Miata NC modified to mx5 cup specification. I was driving hard where there was room and backed off in the sketchier areas like T2 and the result was mx5 cup caliber of times in a Gt4
That's a very smart move..I need to do the same.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 03:38 PM   #34
shaftwhy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
That's the thing, your foot might "be getting on the throttle earlier", but the engine is not delivering the power any earlier because of the damping effect, so what's the point? I rather have my foot control the power delivery than the software, like this I can get either smooth or sharp transitions depending on what I want. Sport+ is far from being an on/off switch, it is in fact very linear, but it does respond immediately to any movement. It is only a question of properly calibrating your right foot.

As a tidbit, I often notice that when students struggle with smooth throttle control it is related to the foot position on the throttle pedal. On throttle pedals that are hinged at the bottom like we have on our cars, it is preferable to have the entire foot resting flat on the pedal with the heel against the hinge. If the heel is away from the hinge with only the toes pressing on the middle of the pedal, a smaller foot movement will result in a larger pedal movement making it more difficult to be precise. Also, it is difficult to position the heel at exactly the same distance from the pedal when the foot is moved from the brake to the throttle, so depending on the heel position, a different foot movement will result in a different pedal movement, making it very challenging to program muscle memory. Further, when the heel rest away from the hinge, the toes need to slip up and down the pedal as the pedal is moved and the friction between the shoe sole and the pedal can cause jerkiness in the movement. Might not be the case for you, but worthwhile mentioning.
Just tried this today on public roads and wasn't very successful.

My usual heel position is in front of brake pedal (or very close). When I switch between brake and throttle back and forth I don't change heel position at all. I just flip my foot over with heel as an anchor.

This position has a few advantages to me:
1. Hard to mistake throttle for brake (for public road) because they have different foot positions. Brake is forward and hard, throttle is a little side way and gentle.
2. Quick switch between brake and throttle as heel doesn't need to move.
3. Consistent heel position on track. Since the switch from brake to throttle normally happens mid-turn (trail brake) with quite a bit lateral g, keeping heel anchored helps to achieve consistent movement from brake pedal to throttle pedal. Before using this position, I have experienced quite a few switches with inconsistent heel position which gave totally wrong feeling sometimes. Similar applies switch from throttle to brake: If the heel position changes during brake, then it is harder to modulate the brake, especially for trail brake.

I understand if you always anchor the heel against throttle hinge, then the heel position for throttle is indeed consistent. However it doesn't really give a consistent heel position for brake. Also it really feels the switch between pedals is slower as you need to find different heel positions for brake and throttle. Also for me, I can have too much movement and end up stepping on the foot well a little bit as well.

CanAutM3 , any further tips for this?

I suppose the best might be left foot braking so each foot has its permanent anchor
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 03:53 PM   #35
jacobe92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Hell Rot F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliboy951 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslide View Post
So - what is your preferred track setting? Full DSC, MDM or DSC fully off?
This depends on your driving skill and ability. My advice is to get used to the track in MDM mode and once you're comfortable with the track then turn everything off.
This is what I did and now I'm turning laps fast enough to get 2 different companies to sponsor my car (Torco Oils and Bimmerworld).

Get used to the track then unleash the hounds!!!

. Great. Also, who did your partial vinyl wrap? Thanks
2016 Hellrot F80 M3|JRZ RS Pro with Swift Springs 550/750 spring rates l AP Radical 5000R 9668/9449 lSpiegler SS LinesI DS1.11I Eisenmann DP|MPE Catback|18" Forgeline GS1R 18x10 et 22 and 18x11 et 44 NT01 275/35/18 and 305/35/18| Forgeline GTD1 18x10et43 SquarelM Performance Lip/Splitter|IND aesthetic mods|Dinan Toe Link|Fall Line mono ball conversion kit and upper link kit| Aim Solo 2DL Smarty Cam|Simpson Hybrid|Stilo Offshore helmet.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 04:06 PM   #36
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaftwhy View Post
Just tried this today on public roads and wasn't very successful.

My usual heel position is in front of brake pedal (or very close). When I switch between brake and throttle back and forth I don't change heel position at all. I just flip my foot over with heel as an anchor.

This position has a few advantages to me:
1. Hard to mistake throttle for brake (for public road) because they have different foot positions. Brake is forward and hard, throttle is a little side way and gentle.
2. Quick switch between brake and throttle as heel doesn't need to move.
3. Consistent heel position on track. Since the switch from brake to throttle normally happens mid-turn (trail brake) with quite a bit lateral g, keeping heel anchored helps to achieve consistent movement from brake pedal to throttle pedal. Before using this position, I have experienced quite a few switches with inconsistent heel position which gave totally wrong feeling sometimes. Similar applies switch from throttle to brake: If the heel position changes during brake, then it is harder to modulate the brake, especially for trail brake.

I understand if you always anchor the heel against throttle hinge, then the heel position for throttle is indeed consistent. However it doesn't really give a consistent heel position for brake. Also it really feels the switch between pedals is slower as you need to find different heel positions for brake and throttle. Also for me, I can have too much movement and end up stepping on the foot well a little bit as well.

CanAutM3 , any further tips for this?

I suppose the best might be left foot braking so each foot has its permanent anchor
So you're saying that you are pressing on the throttle pedal with you right foot angled to the side with the heel in front of the brake pedal? No wonder you find Sport+ too jerky .

Ideally, your foot should not be hinged at the heel when threshold braking. The heel should be off the footwell with the ball of the foot firmly planted on the brake pedal so you can use your entire leg muscles to apply force and use the finer calf muscles to control modulation. Further, with the heel off the footwell, it is much easier to quickly flick the heel to the right to blip the throttle when downshifting while the ball of the foot stays firmly on the brake to not vary braking force in the process.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 07-23-2018 at 08:31 AM..
Appreciate 3
      07-22-2018, 04:22 PM   #37
Caliboy951
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobe92 View Post
. Great. Also, who did your partial vinyl wrap? Thanks
Thank you, 1Day wraps in Murrieta did it.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 11:14 PM   #38
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:

I've never said Sport plus delivers the power earlier.
Based on my personal experience and others that co drove my car, Sport is more linear and less erratic than Sport Plus.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 04:27 AM   #39
hwalk
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82

Good Thread and interesting discussion regarding the foot position. I agree with CanAutM3 basically but it's sometime a question of discipline to re-adjust your foot fast and properly after braking. My KW suspension Guru (a rallye and successful racer) suggested to learn braking with the left foot like with race Karts so you can be faster and don't have to move your right foot. But it's very tricky to get the same "feeling" into the left foot when braking like with the right one. In my first attempts i hit the brakes way to hard...

BTT: MDM at the first two laps to check conditions and warm up tires, then brain, no DSC off... Engine S+, steering S
      07-25-2018, 07:50 AM   #40
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I've never said Sport plus delivers the power earlier.
I do. There is a damping effect in Sport, so there is a delay between throttle movement and power delivery.

Quote:
Based on my personal experience and others that co drove my car, Sport is more linear and less erratic than Sport Plus.
I have 80+ track days with my car and never felt Sport+ to be “erratic”. Quite the contrary.

In the end, it is a question of preference. That is the beauty of the F8X, is that you can set it up as you prefer

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 10:21 AM   #41
shaftwhy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
So you're saying that you are pressing on the throttle pedal with you right foot angled to the side with the heel in front of the brake pedal? No wonder you find Sport+ too jerky .

Ideally, your foot should not be hinged at the heel when threshold braking. The heel should be off the footwell with the ball of the foot firmly planted on the brake pedal so you can use your entire leg muscles to apply force and use the finer calf muscles to control modulation. Further, with the heel off the footwell, it is much easier to quickly flick the heel to the right to blip the throttle when downshifting while the ball of the foot stays firmly on the brake to not vary braking force in the process.

I am not OP so there might be a bit confusion. This position doesn't give me jerky feeling for Sport+ throttle. Okay, maybe a bit jerky in first gear, but first gear is almost useless for HPDE anyway.

Nevertheless, I think I need to try the recommended way and maybe just more practices.
Appreciate 1
CanAutM321116.50
      07-25-2018, 10:31 AM   #42
shaftwhy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwalk View Post
Good Thread and interesting discussion regarding the foot position. I agree with CanAutM3 basically but it's sometime a question of discipline to re-adjust your foot fast and properly after braking. My KW suspension Guru (a rallye and successful racer) suggested to learn braking with the left foot like with race Karts so you can be faster and don't have to move your right foot. But it's very tricky to get the same "feeling" into the left foot when braking like with the right one. In my first attempts i hit the brakes way to hard...

BTT: MDM at the first two laps to check conditions and warm up tires, then brain, no DSC off... Engine S+, steering S
The definite guide of left braking from Scott Mansell (not related to the F1 champion though):

https://driver61.com/uni/left-foot-braking/
Appreciate 1
hwalk116.00
      07-25-2018, 10:42 AM   #43
shaftwhy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
The definite guide of left braking from Scott Mansell (not related to the F1 champion though):

https://driver61.com/uni/left-foot-braking/
So when Scott talks about how to practice left foot braking, one of the tips he gave is:

When you’re beginning, ensure your left heel has a good, solid base on the floor of your car – this will increase stability and enable better accuracy with the movement.

This contradicts with what CanAutM3 shared earlier that at braking the heel is not on the floor.

Granted the guide is for left foot brake, but I suspect Scott would say similar thing for right foot brake as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 01:32 PM   #44
shaftwhy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
So when Scott talks about how to practice left foot braking, one of the tips he gave is:

When you’re beginning, ensure your left heel has a good, solid base on the floor of your car – this will increase stability and enable better accuracy with the movement.

This contradicts with what CanAutM3 shared earlier that at braking the heel is not on the floor.

Granted the guide is for left foot brake, but I suspect Scott would say similar thing for right foot brake as well.
Never mind. It is probably just Manual vs DCT. No way to have a solid base for heel during brake if you need to blip the throttle.
Appreciate 0