EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-27-2019, 11:08 AM   #1
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Bootmod3 : Exhaust flaps settings & burble settings

New to the Bootmod3 platform... 2017 Model F82 DCT Non-CP Stock Car, UK model; MPE - no other modifications

I like the CS (and the CS+ and Stage 1) map but do not like a few things that come with these tunes.

Any advice on how I achieve the following?

1) Use the CS or another tune; but want exhaust flaps to operate as normal stock car? How do I go about this on Bootmod3?

2) Use the CS or another tune; but want burbles to operate as normal stock car? How do I go about this on Bootmod3?

3) Use the Stage 1 tune; exhaust flaps open in sport & sport+ mode but only in gears 1 to 5. (I want the exhaust flaps to operate like stock in gears 6, 7)?

4) Do any of the tunes (CS, CS+, GTS, Stage 1) make any changes to Economy Mode? I am under the impression that changes are only made to Sport and Sport+ modes only - am I correct in the understanding that Economy mode is the same as stock car in these tunes?

Thanks.
      08-28-2019, 05:18 AM   #2
dsmclark
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Cayman GT4 Clubsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post
New to the Bootmod3 platform... 2017 Model F82 DCT Non-CP Stock Car, UK model; MPE - no other modifications

I like the CS (and the CS+ and Stage 1) map but do not like a few things that come with these tunes.

1) Use the CS or another tune; but want exhaust flaps to operate as normal stock car? How do I go about this on Bootmod3?

2) Use the CS or another tune; but want burbles to operate as normal stock car? How do I go about this on Bootmod3?

3) Use the Stage 1 tune; exhaust flaps open in sport & sport+ mode but only in gears 1 to 5. (I want the exhaust flaps to operate like stock in gears 6, 7)?

4) Do any of the tunes (CS, CS+, GTS, Stage 1) make any changes to Economy Mode? I am under the impression that changes are only made to Sport and Sport+ modes only - am I correct in the understanding that Economy mode is the same as stock car in these tunes?

Thanks.
Hello mate,

when you select the CS map then go to config and you can set the burbles to OEM. Same with the exhaust flaps they will be in OEM mode and you have to change it to be open in sport.

On stage 1 I wouldn't worry about the exhaust flaps as chances are if you're going fast enough in sport+ in 6th or 7th it won't be an issue (unless you have a really long private runway of course).

Where abouts in the UK are you?
Appreciate 1
gspannu198.50
      08-28-2019, 06:38 AM   #3
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmclark View Post
Hello mate,

when you select the CS map then go to config and you can set the burbles to OEM. Same with the exhaust flaps they will be in OEM mode and you have to change it to be open in sport.

On stage 1 I wouldn't worry about the exhaust flaps as chances are if you're going fast enough in sport+ in 6th or 7th it won't be an issue (unless you have a really long private runway of course).

Thanks for the answers...

As I understand; CS, CS+, Stage 1 tunes have the exhaust flaps permanently open in sport and sport+ modes. Is this correct?

At lower speeds and higher revs, the open flaps sound great - and I want this.

However fully open flaps in gear 7 at cruising motorway speeds is annoying. At least with the MPE, it does become annoying on longer drives.
So, I would like exhaust flaps to be closed in gear 7 ; essentially making the exhaust quieter (like economy mode) during motorway cruising

Also, any idea about Question 4 in my original post.

Thanks...
      08-28-2019, 06:46 AM   #4
dsmclark
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hello mate,

Thanks for the answers...

As I understand; CS, CS+, Stage 1 tunes have the exhaust flaps permanently open in sport and sport+ modes. Is this correct?

At lower speeds and higher revs, the open flaps sound great - and I want this.

However fully open flaps in gear 7 at cruising motorway speeds is annoying. At least with the MPE, it does become annoying on longer drives.
So, I would like exhaust flaps to be closed in gear 7 ; essentially making the exhaust quieter (like economy mode) during motorway cruising

Also, any idea about Question 4 in my original post.

Thanks...
Ah I see. Well if you're cruising is there any need to be in sport+?

Think the tune is in all maps but sports and sport plus have different throttle response (as in pedal response) I'm guessing and keep the turbos spooling. But others know more than me.

If you're near to Southampton I can help if you need when flashing or if you want to build your own WiFi agent so can use your phone to flash
Appreciate 1
gspannu198.50
      08-28-2019, 09:24 AM   #5
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:

Thanks.
Everything you are asking about can be customized on the “config” page (the red button at top right hand corner of the “Map Details” page.

1. Exhaust Flap: Click the drop down menu and select “OEM” for OEM-like operation (flaps close at higher gears and lower RPM to reduce low frequency sound).

2. Exhaust Burble: Either customize to your liking, go with the OTS, or simply select “OEM”. You can turn them off as well. Your choice.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 1
gspannu198.50
      08-28-2019, 10:39 AM   #6
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
Everything you are asking about can be customized on the “config” page (the red button at top right hand corner of the “Map Details” page.

1. Exhaust Flap: Click the drop down menu and select “OEM” for OEM-like operation (flaps close at higher gears and lower RPM to reduce low frequency sound).

2. Exhaust Burble: Either customize to your liking, go with the OTS, or simply select “OEM”. You can turn them off as well. Your choice.
Thanks, much appreciated.

Another question:

If I wanted to use the CS tune; exhaust flaps open in sport & sport+ mode except when in Gear 5,6,7 would I need to do the following?

1. Open Stock tune in editor
2, Create a copy of the map (giving a custom name)
3. Import CS Tune
4. Save/ Commit all changes
5. Edit Exhaust Flap setting (Exhaust flaps Sport 1 table)
Change all rpm values (X-Axis) for Gear 1,2,3,4 to be 0.0 - so open flaps.
Change all rpm values (X-Axis) for Gear 5,6,7 to be something like 99.6 - essentially closed.
6. Save the MAP

Under CONFIG (top right hand button):
- Leave Exhaust Flap (Sport) setting "as is" - will this then pick up the exhaust settings from the map?
There is no OTS or Original setting; only OEM, OFF, ON.
I am assuming that if I do not choose OEM, OFF or ON, then it defaults to whatever is in the map?

Is the above process correct?

Last edited by gspannu; 08-28-2019 at 03:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 02:09 AM   #7
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, much appreciated.

Another question:

If I wanted to use the CS tune; exhaust flaps open in sport & sport+ mode except when in Gear 5,6,7 would I need to do the following?

1. Open Stock tune in editor
2, Create a copy of the map (giving a custom name)
3. Import CS Tune
4. Save/ Commit all changes
5. Edit Exhaust Flap setting (Exhaust flaps Sport 1 table)
Change all rpm values (X-Axis) for Gear 1,2,3,4 to be 0.0 - so open flaps.
Change all rpm values (X-Axis) for Gear 5,6,7 to be something like 99.6 - essentially closed.
6. Save the MAP

- Leave Exhaust Flap (Sport) setting "as is" - will this then pick up the exhaust settings from the map?
I am assuming that if I do not choose OEM, OFF or ON, then it defaults to whatever is in the map?

Is the above process correct?
Anyone?
      09-02-2019, 12:52 PM   #8
dtmwerksm3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 M4 Mineral White/Shakir

Contact bootmod3 support.
2003 BMW M3 — Carbon Black on Black, 6MT - Sold
1995 BMW M3 Coupe — Cosmos Black on Black - Sold
Appreciate 1
gspannu198.50
      09-02-2019, 03:36 PM   #9
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmwerksm3 View Post
Contact bootmod3 support.
Yes, I should... but I just thought it better to ask in forums rather than waste valuable time of proTUNING Freaks bootmod3 developers.

I thought this would be an easy enough question that someone from the community would answer.
      09-07-2019, 04:59 PM   #10
dtmwerksm3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 M4 Mineral White/Shakir

Quote:
Yes, I should... but I just thought it better to ask in forums rather than waste valuable time of proTUNING Freaks bootmod3 developers.

I thought this would be an easy enough question that someone from the community would answer.
Always best to go to the source, their support is the best in the business.
2003 BMW M3 — Carbon Black on Black, 6MT - Sold
1995 BMW M3 Coupe — Cosmos Black on Black - Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 05:22 AM   #11
dsmclark
Second Lieutenant
Rep

what exhaust do you have? I really don't think flaps open in the high gears a issue as when you're going that speed the road/wind noise will drown most of it out and I get no drone on mine with stock exhaust with secondary cat and centre resonator delete (which is loud out side the car). If you have the revs high enough in those gears you need to slow down haha. Even in efficient mode the car is still pretty quick so just switch it back to that at high speed and job done! no need to fiddle around with maps (also don't think you can edit the CS maps only the stock)
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 01:55 PM   #12
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
what exhaust do you have? I really don't think flaps open in the high gears a issue as when you're going that speed the road/wind noise will drown most of it out and I get no drone on mine with stock exhaust with secondary cat and centre resonator delete (which is loud out side the car). If you have the revs high enough in those gears you need to slow down haha. Even in efficient mode the car is still pretty quick so just switch it back to that at high speed and job done! no need to fiddle around with maps (also don't think you can edit the CS maps only the stock)
- I have the MPE.
- Flaps when open in gear 6,7 in Sport mode can definitely be heard at motorway speeds; easy way is to switch to Economy mode in gear 6,7 and the sound is definitely quieter. So, I definitely would like to do this modification to the map.
- CS map can definitely be edited. It’s fairly simple. Open Stock map and then import CS map. Then save. This then creates a map which is CS map and fully editable.

That is how I have edited the CS map and then changed all rpm values (X-Axis) for Gear 5,6,7 to be something like 99.6 - essentially closed.

My real question is about the CONFIG section of such a map?

09-09-2019, 02:56 PM   #13
dsmclark
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
-
- CS map can definitely be edited. It’s fairly simple. Open Stock map and then import CS map. Then save. This then creates a map which is CS map and fully editable.
Oh yeah! never knew that handy to know.
Appreciate 1
gspannu198.50