proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

02-09-2015, 01:46 PM   #23
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
100k for a Cayman... thank you very much... as a dedicated sports car, a z06 will mow this... not that i would buy either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanboy View Post
I don't think a whole lot of people would cross shop this and a z06.

Parker
Quote:
Why? They are both made to be dedicated track monsters... usability of either is zero, 2 seats, similar prices. The only thing that the Porsche offers is a badge and a bit more refinement... it is more plausible to cross shop these two imho than an m4 and a Cayman.
Yeah, one thing learned from over a year on this forum: people cross shop these cars with just about everything.

Likely because they are such 'jack of all trades' cars (sports cars with useable rear seats (4 doors if you go F80) that can be used as super comfy/lux daily drivers, but are also incredibly track ready, etc) - just about anything with 4 wheels has probably been compared to an F8X here.

So, yes, there are many who will compare it to a Z06, to the Cayman, to a 911, to a Z/28, etc - and that is in addition to the more traditional/direct competitors (C63, RS4/5, RC-F, ATS, etc).
      02-09-2015, 01:52 PM   #24
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak
Quote:
100k for a Cayman... thank you very much... as a dedicated sports car, a z06 will mow this... not that i would buy either.
Quote:

Parker
Quote:
Why? They are both made to be dedicated track monsters... usability of either is zero, 2 seats, similar prices. The only thing that the Porsche offers is a badge and a bit more refinement... it is more plausible to cross shop these two imho than an m4 and a Cayman.
Yeah, one thing learned from over a year on this forum: people cross shop these cars with just about everything.

Likely because they are such 'jack of all trades' cars (sports cars with useable rear seats (4 doors if you go F80) that can be used as super comfy/lux daily drivers, but are also incredibly track ready, etc) - just about anything with 4 wheels has probably been compared to an F8X here.

So, yes, there are many who will compare it to a Z06, to the Cayman, to a 911, to a Z/28, etc - and that is in addition to the more traditional/direct competitors (C63, RS4/5, RC-F, ATS, etc).
I look forward to someone comparing this car to an F150 Raptor... because why not? right?
      02-09-2015, 01:52 PM   #25
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Well, until last Wednesday, I was super happy about my M4 ED on April 8 in Munich. BMW M cars have been the only cars for me for the past 14 years, etc.

Then I saw the Porsche Cayman GT4. It was love (lust) at first sight..........

Parker

Bad Idea... Just keep the M4 and enjoy it or cancel all of it including the trip, find a GT4 and open that check book ASAP.

Your going to dump money.. lots of it..

No way your going to be able to trade it in and not eat 10k off the car. Also not sure how your state does taxes, but in Michigan you pay on the M. Then your going to have to pay on the GT4, 6% twice that is almost 10k in taxes (( There is a trade in credit but its only a few hundred bucks under the current law).

Also rumors are Porsche is only making 600 GT4s for North American. That's instant above MSRP prices, and that if collectors don't get dibs on the 1st year.

If your number #6 on the list, I would get a written deal saying your number #6 and you will have a car within X.

I would get the M, enjoy it and everything BMW has to offer than in a year or so, look into a GT4.

If you keep the EU trip and ditch the M. Bmw does have rentals at Welt that you can get, so you still can get an M3 or M5, M6 for your trip. An just train or fly if you need to.

https://portal.bmw-on-demand.de/index.do?action=display

Either way, two great cars. Not exactly in the same class.. but no wrong option.

Last edited by DocWeatherington; 02-09-2015 at 02:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 01:53 PM   #26
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:

Parker
But yet you cross shop it w/ a 4 seat sports coupe?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 01:56 PM   #27
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
I look forward to someone comparing this car to an F150 Raptor... because why not? right?
Its gonna happen one of these days......and when it does, I will look back and say "yup, ASAP called that shit long time ago".
      02-09-2015, 01:58 PM   #28
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak
Quote:
Its gonna happen one of these days......and when it does, I will look back and say "yup, ASAP called that shit long time ago".
I like you... you keep it real with a certain diplomacy... SOM3 is second lol.
      02-09-2015, 02:05 PM   #29
Brindle101
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AY M4, AW M6, e92 m3, e46 m3..

Quote:
Well, until last Wednesday, I was super happy about my M4 ED on April 8 in Munich. BMW M cars have been the only cars for me for the past 14 years, etc.

Then I saw the Porsche Cayman GT4. It was love (lust) at first sight.

I immediately ran around to several local Porsche dealers. Some were more helpful (Porsche of Plano) than others (Park Place Porsche). I ended up in the #6 spot on the list for a dealer who PNA says will likely get 8.

The problem is I now have 2 cars on order--the M4 and GT4--and can't keep both. And the GT4 won't enter production until July, and most likely mine won't enter production til late fall or so since I'm not at the top of the list.

So if I cancel my M4 order it doesn't send a great message to my BMW dealer who I've got a great relationship with, and it leaves me stuck without a car for a 2 week ED.

Depending on what trade value my Porsche dealer offers, it looks like the most likely scenario is to take ED of the M4 in April, keep it for a couple months once it comes back to the states, then trade it in against the GT4 (it'll probably have 3000-4000 miles on it at that point).

Anyway, just felt like seeing if anyone here is considering dumping their M3/4 for a GT4--from what I've been reading on several forums (including this one) it looks like the GT4 may be making converts out of a lot of people. I love M cars, but it feels like the GT4 is in the spirit of how M cars used to be--6spd, NA engine, very raw and much lighter.

Parker
Doesn't sound like a good plan unless you are filthy with money, and even then "are you kidding me?". You are going to loose at least $13k on trade in, plus sales tax. GT4 is gonna be a great car, but totally different type of car than the M4. If you are just looking for the most fun for your dollar, M4 is not the car. Even though it is great fun, it is not a dedicated sports car. If that's what you want, and money is no option, do what I did. But a 991 GT3 (if you can still find one). Otherwise cancel the M4 and wait on GT4.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 02:08 PM   #30
Jacky Treehorn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post
Can you comment how much?
It was a $5,000 deposit only refundable if the car is sold to someone else once it is delivered if you back out. Which IF that did happen, it shouldn't be a problem considering how in demand this car already is. I am ordering a stripper, keeping it around $85k with no major options or other small options. The car has standard pretty much everything I want already.

The guys who keep mentioning dumping the M3/M4 and losing a lot of money...are you talking about losing a lot of money if you dump the M3/M4 after you bought it? As long as you have not taken delivery of your car, you should NOT lose a dime...unless you signed some crazy contract stating that you are forced to buy the car when it comes in.

The GT4 only works if it is the right car for you. There is nothing wrong with the M3/M4 to me, it's an amazing car - but the GT4 hits everything I want in a car of this kind. I wish I could have both!

My recommendation to the OP....if you have NOT taken delivery of your M4 and you REALLY want the GT4 - DUMP THE M4 order before you take delivery! You will lose a LOT of senseless money.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 02:14 PM   #31
zer0cool
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Clearly, the OP sounds like 10k to him is like maybe 10 bucks to me. This is my feeling especially since you mentioned that you must drive a high performance car during your European trip.

If that's the case then it's a no brainer. Go get the M4, enjoy Europe, then do a GT4 ED, do a different route with that, come back and sell the M4 when the GT4 arrives. Or not do the 2nd ED if you don't have time of course. Either way.

I assume you are looking for a pure sports car since you are planning to trade a pretty new sporty car for a new pure sports car while not really caring about monetary losses. In that case I don't know why you first went for M4 instead of say a 911 GT3 or something...
Appreciate 2
      02-09-2015, 02:16 PM   #32
BoostedTerp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

No.
      02-09-2015, 02:19 PM   #33
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:

Parker
Haha.. add the VIPER lol
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 02:24 PM   #34
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacky Treehorn View Post
It was a $5,000 deposit only refundable if the car is sold to someone else once it is delivered if you back out. Which IF that did happen, it shouldn't be a problem considering how in demand this car already is. I am ordering a stripper, keeping it around $85k with no major options or other small options. The car has standard pretty much everything I want already.

The guys who keep mentioning dumping the M3/M4 and losing a lot of money...are you talking about losing a lot of money if you dump the M3/M4 after you bought it? As long as you have not taken delivery of your car, you should NOT lose a dime...unless you signed some crazy contract stating that you are forced to buy the car when it comes in.

The GT4 only works if it is the right car for you. There is nothing wrong with the M3/M4 to me, it's an amazing car - but the GT4 hits everything I want in a car of this kind. I wish I could have both!

My recommendation to the OP....if you have NOT taken delivery of your M4 and you REALLY want the GT4 - DUMP THE M4 order before you take delivery! You will lose a LOT of senseless money.

The OP was going to take delivery at Welt and drive it around Europe for 2-4,000 miles. Then sell/trade it once it comes back stateside.

Hey you put your deposit on a credit card? If you didn't I would call back as ask if you can switch it to a credit card. That way A) you get points, B) if you pull out just be like, its an unauthorized charge and I never took possession of the item. You as the card holder will always win.. and you shall get your deposit back.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 02:48 PM   #35
Jacky Treehorn
Private First Class
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
The OP was going to take delivery at Welt and drive it around Europe for 2-4,000 miles. Then sell/trade it once it comes back stateside.

Hey you put your deposit on a credit card? If you didn't I would call back as ask if you can switch it to a credit card. That way A) you get points, B) if you pull out just be like, its an unauthorized charge and I never took possession of the item. You as the card holder will always win.. and you shall get your deposit back.
Smart minds think alike ! I put it on my amex. Sounds like the OP has a lot of money to play with then if that's what he's considering. I have to pinch every penny I can for this car.
Appreciate 2
      02-09-2015, 02:58 PM   #36
Revcrazy
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe

Think of it this way. The GT4 is one of those cars that are special in a way only a couple other cars in the world are and certainly nothing at that price is anywhere near as special. It's a car you'll always see being in an m4 and be green with envy, wishing you had it. The opposite won't happen. That should make it easy, get the GT4.
I don't care if a z06 end ups being faster, it won't be as satisfying, not as connected and as close to pure the GT4 will be. Funny that in the past they compared the z06 to a prev gen cayman S in best drivers car and the cayman was voted the better drivers car...that should be all you need.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 03:05 PM   #37
beanboy
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 M3, 03 360 Modena

Some interesting opinions here.

I've owned a z06 and absolutely hated it. Was good on the track but hated every minute of street driving.

I'd track the gt4 some, but mainly want a really raw car for street driving 2-3 days a week.

Parker
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 03:29 PM   #38
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Smart minds think alike ! I put it on my amex. Sounds like the OP has a lot of money to play with then if that's what he's considering. I have to pinch every penny I can for this car.
Amex is legit.. haha... I think dealerships cringe when they see people pull out credit cards for deposits.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 04:23 PM   #39
beanboy
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 M3, 03 360 Modena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revcrazy View Post
Think of it this way. The GT4 is one of those cars that are special in a way only a couple other cars in the world are and certainly nothing at that price is anywhere near as special. It's a car you'll always see being in an m4 and be green with envy, wishing you had it. The opposite won't happen. That should make it easy, get the GT4.
My thoughts exactly.

Parker
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 05:05 PM   #40
RussDC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revcrazy
I don't care if a z06 end ups being faster, it won't be as satisfying, not as connected and as close to pure the GT4 will be. Funny that in the past they compared the z06 to a prev gen cayman S in best drivers car and the cayman was voted the better drivers car...that should be all you need.
My thoughts exactly
I enjoy my M3 but the second I saw GT4, I knew it was it!!!y M3 is on sale already.
Oh well... We'll see
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 05:12 PM   #41
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussDC View Post
My thoughts exactly
I enjoy my M3 but the second I saw GT4, I knew it was it!!!y M3 is on sale already.
Oh well... We'll see
I am expecting PICs, Video.. when you get your GT4 and possible a ride.. Just saying, we are "Family" right.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 05:50 PM   #42
TahoeM3
Major
Rep
Drives: F-type R, GTR, X5 50i

This is such an odd post to me because I can think of lots of reason off the top of my head why these cars are in no way comparable, so it's odd to me that someone would cross shop them or see one as a replacement for the other.
Gone but not forgotten: '12 X5M, '07 AM SuperVantage, '05 Boxster S, '01 BMW M3,...
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 05:54 PM   #43
Jacky Treehorn
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
I am expecting PICs, Video.. when you get your GT4 and possible a ride.. Just saying, we are "Family" right.
I'm nearly at the point where my sales associate at porsche will allow me to begin building my order. Some dealers have allocations already, and some don't yet. I've been crossing my fingers that this is for real.

And also preparing my wallet. It's sounding like June or July is a realistic expectation of when some of the early ones will be delivered. I guess it's kind of nice it will allow me time to save more. This is the most expensive car I will have ever bought, but I think it's one I'm actually comfortable with in that it's truly special, and one that has serious retention value. At the same time I think it's a bargain.

I fully intend to make a thorough review of the car: pics, video, track review for you guys.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 06:00 PM   #44
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
I'm nearly at the point where my sales associate at porsche will allow me to begin building my order. Some dealers have allocations already, and some don't yet. I've been crossing my fingers that this is for real.

And also preparing my wallet. It's sounding like June or July is a realistic expectation of when some of the early ones will be delivered. I guess it's kind of nice it will allow me time to save more. This is the most expensive car I will have ever bought, but I think it's one I'm actually comfortable with in that it's truly special, and one that has serious retention value. At the same time I think it's a bargain.

I fully intend to make a thorough review of the car: pics, video, track review for you guys.
A) I just touched myself

And

1) you forgot to mention rides...

Let me correct your last sentence.

I fully intend to make a thorough review of the car: pics, video, track review for you guys and take Docweatherington for a ride and possible let him drive it, that's if he wants.
Appreciate 0