European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

05-05-2017, 07:35 PM   #45
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by c63er View Post
BMW is well known for making regular cars as fun as a supercar.
Not sure if serious? It is more fun to drive an actual supercar than a fast sedan based car, regardless of what the #s say. The seating position, noises, and other intangibles are a big part of what makes it "super". (of course, it would suck to own a "super" car that is at risk of getting pulled on in a straight line by sedan based cars....)
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 07:41 PM   #46
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

why does he say the gts handles worse. when he loves the handling of a standard f80
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 07:46 PM   #47
redrumm3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS, M3 GT4, E30 M3...

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 CSL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdchicago View Post
I would agree in a perfect world but try to find me a 2017 GT3 for $140,000.
As I mentioned in a different post I called around about preordering the manual version coming out in September. If you have not been buying Porsches for the last 10 years from the same dealer, forget it. Same thing with the automatic.
Or be ready to pay $180,000 + if you are lucky on the secondary market.
Do you think it would beat a nicely optioned Carrera S in a test?
As the owner of a GTS who tracks the car, I can tell you that the car is more than capable of crushing the 4S. I've had no problem disposing GT3's and RS's on the track even older Cup cars. As for the Merc, I can't say. None are at the track.

BMW has built a car that can hold its own against the competition in competent hands and at a price point that's quite reasonable compared to the real price you have to pay for the competition.

I'm not dissing on Harris, I hold him in high regard, but I think the press in general totally misses the point on the GTS. It requires some setup and seat time to get it right.
Appreciate 3
RPChan138.00
KillrM390.00
DeeKay553.00
      05-05-2017, 07:47 PM   #48
c63er
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Quote:
BMW is well known for making regular cars as fun as a supercar.
Not sure if serious? It is more fun to drive an actual supercar than a fast sedan based car, regardless of what the #s say. The seating position, noises, and other intangibles are a big part of what makes it "super". (of course, it would suck to own a "super" car that is at risk of getting pulled on in a straight line by sedan based cars....)
Obviously not more fun then a supercar.

But back in the time of the e30, e36, e46, z3 and various m5 they would bring in the intangible elements of the supercar to the world of sedans and coupes better then any car company out there of the time. BMW invariably had lackluster track times, no one would even care about doing 1/4 mile runs or any other stupid nonsense. But they were fun as hell without having to spend 200k. You'd have a smile plastered from ear to ear after even the shortest drives.

Now with the FXX series it's the opposite. They give you no joy but lots of wings, lots of colors (yay I'm 5 years old) and of course are perfect for 1/4 runs, how better to e race each other. And justify a car that is otherwise a bit bland. I mean how many BMWs of that time could "crush" other cars. Your average amg would make us look like fools in a straight line. did we care? Nope, that's not what the car was for. It was for the intangible supercar elements that made the drive fun.

This is fine and certainly sells cars to the right crowd. (I now cringe when an FXX owner passes me as I expect a bro douchbag to either rev really loudly, tailgate me or make short runs to show me how fast and cool he is). The people who cared about the nuance and visceral thrill of the car were always the best dudes to be around on the other hand. Used to do random runs with perfect strangers just for the fun of it. M3 owners who appreciated all that totally get it. They are still here but we are drowned out by a lot of the idiots we've somehow attracted from Honda and Infiniti.

Making a fast car is not going to be ever be bmws forte. They don't have the money or experience to do it right. They are good at punching above their weight by giving you something different. Giving you amazing fun in an unexpected package, etc. Bmw lost that/forgot that somewhere along the way and is now stuck appeasing a different customer base. The gts is born of that, the ultimate marketing excercise for someone who thinks people actually race for pink slips and for people who get offended or derive self esteem from what rims they have. Good thing is things are always changing so who knows where the future goes.

Ok get off my lawn now
      05-05-2017, 08:03 PM   #49
tetsuo111
Save the Manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 RWD 6MT, X3, Ducati S4R

Garage List
Quote:
To counter some of the never ending hyper car talk. Bmw doesn't need a hyper car. Bmw really has only had two of those as their halo cars, and one of them is by extension of the engine (Mclaren f1).

BMW is well known for making regular cars as fun as a supercar. So if bmw would actually stick to what made them bmw they would be ok. Problem with the gts is that it's basicly a marketing exercise. You can easily identify which demographic they are going for with the car and see how everything from gaudy clashing orange colors to a focus on the "I'm cooler then you, my vtec kicked in yo" turbos. And of course more wings and spolers, that's what really counts.

If bmw would stop being so scared of marketing and selling x number of units and focus on making a good product in the segment we the fans would take care of the rest, as we always done.

As these variants continue to be marketing excercises to different degrees of extreme don't expect much of a comparison against the serious metal out there.

Chris Harris knows what he's talking about and what he's doing.
Sadly, so true IMO. I and enthusiasts like me put BMW on the map years ago when the marque had zero social prestige and driving enthusiasts "in the know" enjoyed the quirky sleeper sport sedans from Munich, and what Bob Lutz described as the "Ultimate Driving Machine".

Nothing in the current product portfolio is appealing, other than the 2-series. The board and executive management chose to abandon the marque's history and roots in exchange for growth. Some of us see this as deja vu. Detroit used to build cars that were the envy of the world. Then finance and marketing staged a coup against the product people, the cars turned into shite, and Detroit is recovering after two generations. When I see the GTS, it reminds me of the contemporary, German version of this:
Outside: BMW M-Aero, Euro region lighting, Seibon | Inside: M3 cockpit, Recaro SPG, Prototipo, AutoSolutions SSK, UCP | Stop: M3 ST-40R, PFC | Grip: Solid-mounted subframes, rear coilover conversion, M3 Nitron R3, Hyperco, SPL, AKG, ARC8 | Go: StageFP, CF snorkel, 3IM, MILVs, SuperSprint headers, Dundon Motorsports Inconel exhaust, VoltPhreaks | Cool: CSF | PCA #2018100384 | BMW CCA #505794

Last edited by tetsuo111; 05-05-2017 at 08:15 PM..
Appreciate 9
c63er876.00
Agamemnon175.00
Skid12349.00
clbmw632.50
filet.M2c784.00
dmboone254972.00
Nkc1600.50
minn1914021.00
      05-05-2017, 08:13 PM   #50
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Quote:
This is fine and certainly sells cars to the right crowd. (I now cringe when an FXX owner passes me as I expect a bro douchbag to either rev really loudly, tailgate me or make short runs to show me how fast and cool he is)
Ha, there were plenty of douchebag BMW drivers looooong before the FXX existed.

Actually, it was the owners of previous generations that made BMW driver and douchebag synonymous.
Appreciate 4
swanson733.00
minn1914021.00
      05-05-2017, 08:22 PM   #51
c63er
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo111 View Post
Quote:
To counter some of the never ending hyper car talk. Bmw doesn't need a hyper car. Bmw really has only had two of those as their halo cars, and one of them is by extension of the engine (Mclaren f1).

BMW is well known for making regular cars as fun as a supercar. So if bmw would actually stick to what made them bmw they would be ok. Problem with the gts is that it's basicly a marketing exercise. You can easily identify which demographic they are going for with the car and see how everything from gaudy clashing orange colors to a focus on the "I'm cooler then you, my vtec kicked in yo" turbos. And of course more wings and spolers, that's what really counts.

If bmw would stop being so scared of marketing and selling x number of units and focus on making a good product in the segment we the fans would take care of the rest, as we always done.

As these variants continue to be marketing excercises to different degrees of extreme don't expect much of a comparison against the serious metal out there.

Sadly, so true IMO. I and enthusiasts like me put BMW on the map years ago when the marque had zero social prestige and driving enthusiasts "in the know" enjoyed the quirky sleeper sport sedans from Munich, and what Bob Lutz described as the "Ultimate Driving Machine".

Nothing in the current product portfolio is appealing, other than the 2-series. The board and executive management chose to abandon the marque's history and roots in exchange for growth. Some of us see this as deja vu. Detroit used to build cars that were the envy of the world. Then finance and marketing staged a coup against the product people, the cars turned into shite, and Detroit is recovering after two generations. When I see the GTS, it reminds me of the contemporary, German version of this:
So apropos
      05-05-2017, 08:35 PM   #52
Brake_Late
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 FIREORANGE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo111 View Post
Quote:

[IMG]http://st.hotrod.com/uploads/sites/2...nt_quarter.jpg[/IMG]
Yep.
Nothing feels analog anymore like the roots of BMW racing cars we used to have for sure !
Miss her everyday
Attached Images

BMWPhotoVin, 01of01, GTS DCT, EPS, MDM,
CS EDC,Analog Dip ,GTS parts.
Euro Vin e30 M3, FIA cage / 14.7 p / w ratio.
Euro E30 touring G30 MSport i3s LBB X5M
3.2carrera

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClRTsfNzuz_EjUBu59UCykA
Appreciate 3
tetsuo1111227.00
K-M390.50
DeeKay553.00
      05-05-2017, 08:38 PM   #53
Brake_Late
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 FIREORANGE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPChan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchBoy View Post
The problem with the M4 GTS is not the performance. It's the price. Because of its over-inflated price for what it is, it competes against much better and focused machines.

It should have been $100K and not limited production.
I couldn't disagree more with this perspective. Sorry. The GTS is nothing like an M4. It is a track focused car. Not a street car with track bits on it.
The right bits can do the trick tho in some cases
Attached Images

BMWPhotoVin, 01of01, GTS DCT, EPS, MDM,
CS EDC,Analog Dip ,GTS parts.
Euro Vin e30 M3, FIA cage / 14.7 p / w ratio.
Euro E30 touring G30 MSport i3s LBB X5M
3.2carrera

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClRTsfNzuz_EjUBu59UCykA
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 08:45 PM   #54
yogajitsu
Rep
Drives: Charcoal m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchBoy View Post
The problem with the M4 GTS is not the performance. It's the price. Because of its over-inflated price for what it is, it competes against much better and focused machines.

It should have been $100K and not limited production.
The Amg is 190k, the gt3 is 250k so they should be comparing these to the M6 competition.
      05-05-2017, 09:17 PM   #55
YungDro
Major
Rep
Drives: -

thread closed....

Last edited by YungDro; 12-10-2019 at 07:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 09:44 PM   #56
RedGT3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: .2 GT3/M3cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrumm3 View Post
As the owner of a GTS who tracks the car, I can tell you that the car is more than capable of crushing the 4S. I've had no problem disposing GT3's and RS's on the track even older Cup cars.
Maybe you where the better driver.
Appreciate 5
Brake_Late1936.50
F32Fleet3567.00
Draper3459.50
Jeffe199.50
minn1914021.00
      05-05-2017, 09:45 PM   #57
Motorsportenterprise
Banned
Rep
Drives: Turbo/NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrumm3 View Post
As the owner of a GTS who tracks the car, I can tell you that the car is more than capable of crushing the 4S. I've had no problem disposing GT3's and RS's on the track even older Cup cars. As for the Merc, I can't say. None are at the track.

BMW has built a car that can hold its own against the competition in competent hands and at a price point that's quite reasonable compared to the real price you have to pay for the competition.

I'm not dissing on Harris, I hold him in high regard, but I think the press in general totally misses the point on the GTS. It requires some setup and seat time to get it right.
Well, with equal drivers the car is not beating a 991 GT3. In comparisons it cannot even beat a Carrera S, and that's with the fact that the 911 is on summer tires and the GTS on sticky cup tires.

I've driven the car myself and despite wanting to compete with a GT3 that was already almost 3 years old , it failed as the E92 version did. And it doesn't hold a candle to an RS. The car for me doesn't deliver in the way a GT3 does. Now with the new GT3, you see just how much bigger the gap just got.

The GTS for me would have been a good value for under 100k. Above that mark, it just loses its appeal. That's partially why there are still plenty available.

As I've personally said previously, it's the best BMW they've made by a wide margin, but despite them holding a new bar for themselves, the bar Porsche resets each time is still several notches above, and we have not even seen their best yet.
Appreciate 6
tetsuo1111227.00
Draper3459.50
dmboone254972.00
Nkc1600.50
minn1914021.00
      05-05-2017, 09:55 PM   #58
WillSkill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW 335i

Garage List
Let's all agree to disagree. We all have different opinions.

But they are all beautiful cars in my eyes
2013 Alpine White 335i -M Sport/// Akrapovic Catback Exhaust/// KW Street Comfort Coilovers/// BMS intake/// JB4/// ER front mount intercooler/// ER Charge pipe/// ER catless downpipe/// 18" Apex Arc-8 in Anthracite/// Michelin Pilot Super Sports
Appreciate 2
Brake_Late1936.50
      05-05-2017, 10:39 PM   #59
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4_GTS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post
It doesn t make any sense to ask gt3 money for an M4 GTS.

I don t get why bmw builds it and ask silly money. Same goes for the m4 CS.

Bmw should stick to it s roots. Make nice sporty cars for an affordable price!

I have driven the m4 GTS. I would not trade my M2 for it Yes i would trade sell the M4 GTS and buy 2 Times an M2 and still have money in my pocket.

Wow...now I've heard it all... M2 > M4 GTS... whatever you are high on must be some grade A pure opiods.
I'd take an M2 over a gts. I'd also take a Cayman over an m2. Porsche over a gts any time on looks alone for me!

There now you have heard it twice lol!
      05-05-2017, 10:40 PM   #60
Skid123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
why does he say the gts handles worse. when he loves the handling of a standard f80
M4 GTS seems to have a narrow sweet spot and is harder to extract max performance. That might sounds hardcore, but in reality the car probably fatigues the driver more than required.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 10:46 PM   #61
Skid123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtabi View Post
I'd take an M2 over a gts. I'd also take a Cayman over an m2. Porsche over a gts any time on looks alone for me!

+1 but reasoning on chassis. the way Porsche blends pure handling with decent street comfort is black magic.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 10:49 PM   #62
jpdchicago
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL, X3MC

Again, the 911GT3 RS costs twice as much as the M4 GTS. What kind of a comparison is that?
Totally different price range.
Like comparing the GTS to a regular M4. The GTS goes 30 seconds faster around the ring than the M3/M4.
They are all great cars at their own price point but for different budgets.
No need for the reviewer to bash one or the other.
You could buy a new M4 GTS, a New M3 and a new M4 for the price of a used 911 GT3 RS!!!
If they were priced the same it would be a different story.

Last edited by jpdchicago; 05-05-2017 at 11:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 10:59 PM   #63
M4_GTS
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtabi View Post

I would take a 991 gt3 over the m4 gts. but the m2 over the gts... I won't even take the m2 over the civic m3/4. Not even close.
Appreciate 1
Brake_Late1936.50
      05-05-2017, 11:17 PM   #64
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Again, the 911GT3 RS costs twice as much as the M4 GTS. What kind of a comparison is that?
Totally different price range.
Like comparing the GTS to a regular M4. The GTS goes 30 seconds faster around the ring than the M3/M4.
They are all great cars for different budgets.
No need for the reviewer to bash one or the other.
You could buy a new M4 GTS, a New M3 and a new M4 for the price of a used 911 GT3 RS!!!
If they were priced the same it would be a different story.
GT3 RS does not cost twice as much as the M4 GTS in MSRP. You can't really say they can't compare just because of the trading value of the GT3 RS is so high.

Initially some were trying to sell the M4 GTS at over 200k too.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 11:50 PM   #65
neilum
Captain
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsportenterprise View Post
As has been seen, it cannot outperform a 991.2 Carrera S despite the many advantages including much stickier tires.
The reality of working off of a flawed platform. The 911 is a sports car from the ground up as we all know, and the M4 GTS is based off of a standard mass produced car.

I am not surprised by any of this, the car is simply punching above its weight from the get go.

I think people also forget or lose sight of how awesome the 911 GT3 is. It's not the GTS M4 is bad, but the P car is epic.

Look I drive an F80 M3 and for a 4 door sedan I fell it's still the best on the market, overall (despite the Alfa being .1 faster here and there). Better looks, better resale, better reliability, better interior, ie overall... anyway...

However, the ZCP is about as far as I would go with this platform regarding pushing the performance envelope and competing against higher classes of car. After this point, it's just a lost cause in a sense. To get better, faster, more focused sharper, tighter, more visceral you need a bespoke chassis, otherwise you are just pissing against the wind and a lost cause against a car like the GT3.

Last edited by neilum; 05-05-2017 at 11:57 PM..
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3567.00
      05-05-2017, 11:55 PM   #66
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sedan

Quote:
AMG GTR: $195,000+ If you can get one
911 GT3 RS: $250,000+ for a 2016 model
BMW M4 GTS: around $130,000 at today's prices.

Not in the same ball park at all.
The GTS is actually a good value for the money.

Got the GTS and a $70,000 SUV for the winter.
Having a blast!
991.2 GT3. Now that's value for money.....nuff said.
Appreciate 1
Brake_Late1936.50