Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

08-24-2022, 08:36 PM   #1
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06

Any thoughts on the new Bridgestone Potenza Race?

https://www.tire-reviews.com/Tire/Br...tenza-Race.htm

Really considering trying these - tired of Cup 2s and they were designed for the Huracan STO so they're a perfect fit on my R8.
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2022, 09:46 PM   #2
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
https://www.tire-reviews.com/Tire/Bridgestone/Potenza-Race.htm

Really considering trying these - tired of Cup 2s and they were designed for the Huracan STO so they're a perfect fit on my R8.
Try em, for science sake. I've been meaning to try their new RE71RS but I would definitely try the Race if they made non-supercar tire sizes. Both are rated 200TW but presumably the RE71RS compound is more of an endurance tire whereas the Race is more of hero lapper?

Now you have more options.
Appreciate 1
NYG10579.50
      08-24-2022, 09:56 PM   #3
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_SheerDrivingPleasure View Post
Try em, for science sake. I've been meaning to try their new RE71RS but I would definitely try the Race if they made non-supercar tire sizes. Both are rated 200TW but presumably the RE71RS compound is more of an endurance tire whereas the Race is more of hero lapper?

Now you have more options.
It is nice to finally have ONE other option. All I had was PS4S, Trofeo R, Cup 2 and some other non-applicable tires. Cup 2 was the only reasonable option but from the reviews available these seem to whoop Cup 2s ass but it's hard to buy into reviews this early. It looks like the tire JUST started arriving for STO owners because they've been getting Potenza Sport from the factory.

I'll probably order them tomorrow and test them at the Glen. You know... the event that you're going to.

I know SYT ran some wild times with the RE71s as well as some other people but the common complaint was that they got greasy fast. Hopefully they've improved that.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2022, 09:30 AM   #4
markw10702
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: GTMore Anyone?

Quote:
https://www.tire-reviews.com/Tire/Br...tenza-Race.htm

I see only two sizes on TireRack.

245/30R20
305/30R20

Not exactly M4 friendly sizes. Are there other sizes available?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2022, 09:55 AM   #5
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw10702 View Post
I see only two sizes on TireRack.

245/30R20
305/30R20

Not exactly M4 friendly sizes. Are there other sizes available?
There are supposed to be more tire sizes available but I guess the tire just got released and since it was designed for the Huracan, they're probably focusing production on inventory for that car first. From what I'm reading, it will be a track tire for all types of cars.

I think I'm going to give these a try.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2022, 10:30 AM   #6
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Ok - I'll be the guinea pig.

Just ordered a set of these tires with heat cycling - will hopefully review mid-October
Appreciate 4
FaRKle!4006.50
SYT_Shadow11462.00
sly1types431.50
David0ff1056.00
      10-21-2022, 10:33 PM   #7
sly1types
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80M3 and E46M3

in for the review
F85 X5M
https://www.instagram.com/fastmacm3/
Appreciate 1
NYG10579.50
      10-23-2022, 01:21 PM   #8
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Interesting new tire option, can't wait to see what sizes are offered.
      10-23-2022, 07:34 PM   #9
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly1types View Post
in for the review
Will try to post a summary tomorrow.
Appreciate 1
phefner366.00
      10-25-2022, 11:59 AM   #10
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Ok boys - so this review has a few things I need to mention before I say anything:

1) Tires were heat cycled from TR so I never got to experience their "ultimate" grip
2) I did not record a single lap time over the course of 3 days because I wasn't feeling great and didn't want to hyperfocus on deltas

Here's what I paid attention to that I didn't need laptimer to tell me;

Responsiveness/Pointiness: No noticeable difference between Cup 2 and these tires. I think 245 fronts are primarily the reason why. Very marginal difference

Corner Grip: Significantly superior. I did pay attention to my speeds in a lot of corners but because I'm not a pro and experimenting with different lines through corners, I'd be blatantly lying if I told you all my +mph deltas were tire exclusive. So how do I know? Aside from feeling faster through almost every corner, I know because of the carousel - it's literally the most reliable and well cambered place for me to test tire grip. I just keep pushing to understeer before apex/exit so I know I'm at the limit of the tire without cheating. I went from ~82mph to 90mph. That's ridiculous for a 245F 305R setup, if you ask me.

Traction on exit: Vastly superior, ambient temp was much lower but I was on power earlier than ever with rare engagement of t/c.

Traction on hardbraking: Initially much better but at the end of day 2, my pads were outperforming the tires. Braking zones were pushed back. Very similar to Cup 2s.

Traction in wet: The track was not wet but I did drive these in wet conditions and they might be worse than Cup 2s.

Getting them up to temperature: Easier than Cup 2 but remember I'm on a very low-profile tire this may vary.

How do they hold up throughout the session: Very reminiscent of RE71. On day 2 they definitely start to get a little greasy deeper into the session but one easy lap and they get right back to normal.

How did they hold up throughout the weekend: Way better - I can definitely use them for another track weekend and the grip has not fallen off much at all. They just don't survive 20 minutes of pushing at the Glen like they did on day 1. Cup 2 falls off drastically/permanently/quickly.

How many heat cycles do they last: I don't know, haven't burned them out yet but if the grip falloff is linear, based on what I've seen they've got 20-25 heat cycles of very good grip.

How do they wear: 3 days isn't enough to say but tires look great.
Appreciate 8
      06-19-2023, 05:02 PM   #11
Tyreman
Registered
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Ok boys - so this review has a few things I need to mention before I say anything:

1) Tires were heat cycled from TR so I never got to experience their "ultimate" grip
2) I did not record a single lap time over the course of 3 days because I wasn't feeling great and didn't want to hyperfocus on deltas

Here's what I paid attention to that I didn't need laptimer to tell me;

Responsiveness/Pointiness: No noticeable difference between Cup 2 and these tires. I think 245 fronts are primarily the reason why. Very marginal difference

Corner Grip: Significantly superior. I did pay attention to my speeds in a lot of corners but because I'm not a pro and experimenting with different lines through corners, I'd be blatantly lying if I told you all my +mph deltas were tire exclusive. So how do I know? Aside from feeling faster through almost every corner, I know because of the carousel - it's literally the most reliable and well cambered place for me to test tire grip. I just keep pushing to understeer before apex/exit so I know I'm at the limit of the tire without cheating. I went from ~82mph to 90mph. That's ridiculous for a 245F 305R setup, if you ask me.

Traction on exit: Vastly superior, ambient temp was much lower but I was on power earlier than ever with rare engagement of t/c.

Traction on hardbraking: Initially much better but at the end of day 2, my pads were outperforming the tires. Braking zones were pushed back. Very similar to Cup 2s.

Traction in wet: The track was not wet but I did drive these in wet conditions and they might be worse than Cup 2s.

Getting them up to temperature: Easier than Cup 2 but remember I'm on a very low-profile tire this may vary.

How do they hold up throughout the session: Very reminiscent of RE71. On day 2 they definitely start to get a little greasy deeper into the session but one easy lap and they get right back to normal.

How did they hold up throughout the weekend: Way better - I can definitely use them for another track weekend and the grip has not fallen off much at all. They just don't survive 20 minutes of pushing at the Glen like they did on day 1. Cup 2 falls off drastically/permanently/quickly.

How many heat cycles do they last: I don't know, haven't burned them out yet but if the grip falloff is linear, based on what I've seen they've got 20-25 heat cycles of very good grip.

How do they wear: 3 days isn't enough to say but tires look great.
Hi NYG, how is the Potenza RACE continuo working?? any more update?? Im very interested!!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 11:05 AM   #12
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

Weird sizing choices for a f8x. Geared to OEM super car sizes I guess.
Appreciate 0