ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

12-27-2019, 11:22 AM   #45
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzracer View Post
Which is why I don't have them. My CS car was U.S. Model so came stock with MPSS. Would love to swap them out when they wear out for cups but nope. Can't stand the sound of gravel pelting my pristine 100k car. Even if I didn't pay that much for it
Honestly I thought the Cup 2s were overrated on the track as well. I had read reviews that they give you a couple of hero laps and then fall off quickly. That was exactly my experience wth them last year on my CS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keca10 View Post
I have Cup2 tires.

Early on I removed OEM side clear protection and put new larger clear paint protection film at and around the wheel wells. OEM did not protect sufficiently. It works well. I assume the gravel noise is an indicator of lack of sound insulation and sticky tires. Not worried about it.

I am not going to make a tire decision based on this. Why compromise on the driving experience by getting a lesser tire? I am on the fence on Cup2 or MPS4S next but the decision won’t be based on gravel sounds. At all.

Also, I don’t fully understand how the mud flaps help anything when most of the sound is in the wheel well. It makes sense if you like the look but it’s not my jam.
It’s a personal decision, but unless you are tracking it, you probably aren’t (and shouldn’t be) approaching the MP4S limits much less the Cup 2 ones on the street. Plus the MP4S is a much much better DD tire, especially if you drive in downpours a decent amount and if you are in a predominantly colder climate.

But, I agree with CanAutM3, it is BS that US CS cars come with PSS instead of Cup 2s.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 11:33 AM   #46
Keca10
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M3 ZCP / '20 X3 M40i

Agreed. All CS should have come with Cup2 or MP4S at a minimum.

My US ZCP came with Cups because of factory upgraded wheels (763M). So if you get the CS wheels on a ZCP you get the Cup2s. But you miss out if you get the actual CS car. Kinda silly from BMW.

Once cups are done (to which the answer is always: soon) I will likely get MP4S. Only hesitation is if the steering feel will be worse for daily driving.

As far as gravel noise my passengers notice it much more than I.
Appreciate 1
minn1914037.50
      12-27-2019, 03:13 PM   #47
///M Performance
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition LCI

every user who drive the f8x on a racetrack had an second setup for it. for normal and legal street rounds the cups or semis are simple too much for the most of us.

for protection we have made our mudflaps in fullcarbon. thats a perfect compromise of technical background and styling.
and it doestn looks so bad.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 10:56 AM   #48
Jason60051
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

Yes these are unfortunately gravel magnets!