GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

07-29-2015, 03:20 AM   #155
Robotechnology
RDF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80/JCW Clubman/Z4MC/STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuryousGee View Post
Been reading what I can about it and still on the fence, was offered Fidelity Platinum 84month/74000 miles for $3000. I have 2 more weeks to get a refund if I dont want it. This is my first BMW so wanted to get your thoughts?

A little background , m3 is not a daily, i work from home and dont commute, so its more of a weekend car. I will never reach the mileage limit but the 84 month coverage is nice being its a first model year car as well. I read fidelity is an exclusion type warranty which is good?
That's what I have on my Z4MC. Correct, exclusionary.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 02:02 PM   #156
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

So I'm seeing a maintenance plan offered for $3300 for an additional 1-2 years/50k miles - so I'll focus it on the mileage. It makes sense for someone driving over 15k miles per year.

The m3 will receive 5 oil changes from the dealer during that time, which is about a $700 value - give or take a bit. So now after oil changes you're paying $2600, what do you get for that?

Let's assume one full set of new pads and rotors - about $1500 worth of parts and labor at even attractive parts prices. (turner currently lists front rotors at $560)

So now you are down to $1100.....for maybe a diff oil change, a brake fluid change, some wiper blades.

Anything else I'm forgetting? Trans fluid on the DCT?

Obviously if you DIY any of this it becomes cheaper for you substantially to avoid the maintenance program. But it's not an ENORMOUS ripoff....but there is some amount of payment for a convenience factor built in there.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 07:48 PM   #157
Robotechnology
RDF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80/JCW Clubman/Z4MC/STI

Well... My Z4MC needed rotors at 18k miles. So, Those who drive a lot might get TWO brake changes and then you really save some $$

As I said prior though, key read before you buy to see if a brake change will be in the 1 or 2 year extension. If it's not, pass (in my opinion).
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 12:05 AM   #158
bob330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotechnology View Post
Well... My Z4MC needed rotors at 18k miles. So, Those who drive a lot might get TWO brake changes and then you really save some $$

As I said prior though, key read before you buy to see if a brake change will be in the 1 or 2 year extension. If it's not, pass (in my opinion).
brakes and oil changes are the easiest maintenance you can do yourself. To me, having to schedule an apt for these items is inconvenient as my dealership doesn't automatically offer loaners. So "scheduling" these saves me money, time and hassle.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 09:29 PM   #159
spooky7
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 MSport

Extended warranty?

I'm picking up my M3 next week. I don't hold on to my cars for more than 3 years. Is it worth considering purchasing the extended warranty thru BMW? Thx
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 10:51 PM   #160
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

An extended warranty is an insurance policy. The warranty company is betting that you will pay them more than they will have to pay you and you are betting that they will pay you (via repair reimbursements) more than you will pay them. The odds are in favor of the insurance (warranty) company because if they were not they would go out of business.

I purchased an AAA Autoguard extended warranty for my 2007 335i which I kept for 7 years. I collected on a few repairs and when all was said and done I just about broke even and may have paid a few hundred more for the warranty than I collected. One advantage was that I paid for the warranty on installments and would have had to come up with a lump sum for the repairs. Another was the peace of mind knowing that I would be covered in the event of an extremely expensive repair.

I think you need to take a few things into consideration.

1. The odds of you collecting more than you pay are not in your favor
2. How financially devastating would a major repair bill be and is it worth it to you to purchase the warranty to avoid such an occurrence?

Using similar reasoning I just reduced the deductible on my collision insurance.

1. I will not have a problem coming up with the larger deductible. in case of a claim,
2. I have not had a collision claim in 10 years and the amount I have paid over those 10 years in higher premiums for the lower deductible did not make financial sense.

So in summation you will probably pay more for the warranty than you will collect in repair reimbursements but you will have the peace of mind of knowing that you will not be saddled by an exorbitant repair bill.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2016, 02:49 AM   #161
Rbc44
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Convertible

OP, if you're only planning to keep the car for three years and it comes with a four year/50k mile warranty, why spend thousands of dollars for an extended warranty? It will not add that much to your resale or trade in value. Unless you plan to put a lot more than 50k miles on your car in three years, I don't think an extended warranty is worth it for you.
Appreciate 3
RickFLM410957.50
      12-15-2016, 05:51 AM   #162
1uscalumni
Fight On!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
An extended warranty is an insurance policy. The warranty company is betting that you will pay them more than they will have to pay you and you are betting that they will pay you (via repair reimbursements) more than you will pay them. The odds are in favor of the insurance (warranty) company because if they were not they would go out of business.

I purchased an AAA Autoguard extended warranty for my 2007 335i which I kept for 7 years. I collected on a few repairs and when all was said and done I just about broke even and may have paid a few hundred more for the warranty than I collected. One advantage was that I paid for the warranty on installments and would have had to come up with a lump sum for the repairs. Another was the peace of mind knowing that I would be covered in the event of an extremely expensive repair.

I think you need to take a few things into consideration.

1. The odds of you collecting more than you pay are not in your favor
2. How financially devastating would a major repair bill be and is it worth it to you to purchase the warranty to avoid such an occurrence?

Using similar reasoning I just reduced the deductible on my collision insurance.

1. I will not have a problem coming up with the larger deductible. in case of a claim,
2. I have not had a collision claim in 10 years and the amount I have paid over those 10 years in higher premiums for the lower deductible did not make financial sense.

So in summation you will probably pay more for the warranty than you will collect in repair reimbursements but you will have the peace of mind of knowing that you will not be saddled by an exorbitant repair bill.
Well stated.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 05:56 AM   #163
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbc44 View Post
OP, if you're only planning to keep the car for three years and it comes with a four year/50k mile warranty, why spend thousands of dollars for an extended warranty? It will not add that much to your resale or trade in value. Unless you plan to put a lot more than 50k miles on your car in three years, I don't think an extended warranty is worth it for you.
This... and to take it a step further, consider just leasing the car for 3 years.
      03-21-2017, 12:26 PM   #164
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
Debate on whether it's worth it aside, I'm looking to get an extended warranty for my M4. Had one for my 335is, never had to use it but was able to cancel out the balance when I sold the car. I like the peace of mind, know what it's like to need work done an a completely out of warranty car.

For any of these F8Xs it's hard to actually find reviews on a good extended service provider, since the original warranty hasn't run out for any of us yet.

I've gotten a quote from a BMW SA, also looking at some e-researched third-party providers.

But just in case (or for previous cars), anybody have any experience with Endurance, Warranty Direct, or USAA's provider (Assurant)? Or a provider they've had good experiences with on BMWs?

With the exception of USAAs provider (which starts around $2.5K), pricing across all the rest is pretty comparable, starting at $4K+ for plans that start at 5 years. Although BMWs in practical terms are only good for an extra 3 beyond original. Others start at contract signing. I know cutthroat outfits offer far lower cost plans, but worried cheap may equal denied claims for no good reason, especially on a car like this.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 12:35 PM   #165
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailonacs99 View Post
Debate on whether it's worth it aside, I'm looking to get an extended warranty for my M4. Had one for my 335is, never had to use it but was able to cancel out the balance when I sold the car. I like the peace of mind, know what it's like to need work done an a completely out of warranty car.

For any of these F8Xs it's hard to actually find reviews on a good extended service provider, since the original warranty hasn't run out for any of us yet.

I've gotten a quote from a BMW SA, also looking at some e-researched third-party providers.

But just in case (or for previous cars), anybody have any experience with Endurance, Warranty Direct, or USAA's provider (Assurant)? Or a provider they've had good experiences with on BMWs?

With the exception of USAAs provider (which starts around $2.5K), pricing across all the rest is pretty comparable, starting at $4K+ for plans that start at 5 years. Although BMWs in practical terms are only good for an extra 3 beyond original. Others start at contract signing. I know cutthroat outfits offer far lower cost plans, but worried cheap may equal denied claims for no good reason, especially on a car like this.
I don't have experience with them but know AAA also offers policies.
      04-15-2017, 10:33 PM   #166
TXS
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 F80 DCT

M3 Extended Warranty/Maintenance

I'm in the market for a new M3 and I think I've found the one I want.

That said, I heard it's a good idea to get extended warranty and maintenance on these cars. Does anyone have any recommendations on which to get? This will be my 2nd car as a weekend/fun drive so I don't plan on adding many miles.

I also don't want to get screwed over my finance when it comes to pricing, anyone know what's a fair deal on maintenance/warranty packages so I don't overpay?

Much appreciated,

T

Last edited by TXS; 04-15-2017 at 10:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 10:39 PM   #167
TXS
Enlisted Member
Rep

M3 Extended Warranty/Maintenance

That said, I heard it's a good idea to get extended warranty and maintenance on these cars. Does anyone have any recommendations on which to get? This will be my 2nd car as a weekend/fun drive so I don't plan on adding many miles.

I also don't want to get screwed over my finance when it comes to pricing, anyone know what's a fair deal on maintenance/warranty packages so I don't overpay?

Much appreciated,

T
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 11:23 PM   #168
katit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80

You can purchase extended warranty after 4 years, right before factory one ends. I wouldn't buy anything right now
Appreciate 2
TXS11.00
hellokitty2894.00
      04-16-2017, 12:03 AM   #169
TXS
Enlisted Member
Rep

Does that also apply to maintenance? Yea i'd rather not have financing add interest to it...wasn't sure if I could defer the extension until later.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 12:11 AM   #170
teefive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 40i

Check out Geico MBI. That's what I have, incredibly cheap and good coverage.
      04-16-2017, 02:36 PM   #171
ecf34
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXS View Post

Much appreciated,

T
Here is the pricing of BMW's extended warranty and maintenance plan

Not sure how much discount you can expect to receive, perhaps someone else can chime in?

Personally I don't see the value of the maintenance plans, they cost too much for what you're getting in return
Appreciate 1
mwh2009289.00
      04-18-2017, 01:44 PM   #172
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
I've received a quote from Jeff, an SR at Passport BMW based on references in the forums. He does ask that his pricing isn't posted publicly so if you want his contact information I can PM you.

I decided to pick up an extended warranty (no maintenance) plan, but a very comprehensive one, through a third party vendor. Pricing on the BMW plan wasn't too far and above what I ended up getting, but because the BMW plan runs from in-service their 84 month is really only a 36 month. Even though the next year and a half are a wash with double coverage under the factory warranty, getting a 72 month third party warranty gets me all the way into 2023.

Generally for 60-72 months and ~13K miles/year, here's about the ranges I've seen:

As low as $1400-$1700, but I've seen plenty of bad BBB ratings and heard claim denial horror stories for some of the outfits in this range

Mid-range around $2500. Better rated outfits, but often lacking in some coverage's I wanted for things I expect to break on these cars. E.g. the technology gizmos; navigation, cameras, park distance control, sensors, etc.. This was my issue with USAAs provider.

Upper range, $4000-$5000. I ended up getting one in this tier. An outfit with good reputation and reviews, all the coverage's I can get. But it's pricey. I would've just gone with BMWs if they had a longer coverage option available.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 08:47 PM   #173
zactn
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 MT

I got the Geico MBI on my new M3..the cost is $34.50 for 6 months. It appears to be the best deal out there when it comes to extended warranties. As other folks have indicated in this thread, it has a very small exclusion list.
Appreciate 1
mephiska515.00
      04-20-2017, 10:28 AM   #174
mephiska
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zactn View Post
I got the Geico MBI on my new M3..the cost is $34.50 for 6 months. It appears to be the best deal out there when it comes to extended warranties. As other folks have indicated in this thread, it has a very small exclusion list.
I did the same. It really only kicks in after the factory warranty expires, but you can renew it up to seven years and 100k miles. It has a $250 deductible for every repair, but I'm willing to take those odds.

Here's the full details on it:
https://www.geico.com/auto-insurance...own-insurance/

The coverage also gets you full glass coverage with a $50 deductible.
      04-26-2017, 04:51 PM   #175
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXS View Post
Does that also apply to maintenance? Yea i'd rather not have financing add interest to it...wasn't sure if I could defer the extension until later.
I'd pay for it separately. If you pay for it that way they have a 12 month installment plan that is zero percent.

You want to buy it before your existing warranty expires though. Price is different and you have a 30 day (or 90 I can't recall completely) waiting period so they can't try to accept a pre-existing condition. Like at 51K miles your 9K trans broke. So you bought a $4K warranty instead of paying for repair. You couldn't make a claim for a time period.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 09:39 AM   #176
gori
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 ZCP Fully Loaded, MPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mephiska
Quote:
Originally Posted by zactn View Post
I did the same. It really only kicks in after the factory warranty expires, but you can renew it up to seven years and 100k miles. It has a $250 deductible for every repair, but I'm willing to take those odds.

Here's the full details on it:
https://www.geico.com/auto-insurance...own-insurance/

The coverage also gets you full glass coverage with a $50 deductible.
do you have to have the vehicle insured through Geico or can you purchase this standalone? i.e. I'm insured through MetLife....can I buy this?

of course after i purchase a F80! haha :
Appreciate 0