Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

12-21-2015, 02:23 PM   #133
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCobra08 View Post
Also I gotta throw Matt Farah's name in the mix here, he is excellent as well
I'll have to disagree here. Farah is a joke. He makes countless mistakes about specs and technical info in his reviews and he does not know how to drive. So he has zero credibility for me .

One reviewer I enjoyed was Tiff Needell, it is a shame 5th gear became less serious and more of a "comedy" show in recent times. Judging by the general trend, it seems that the "comedies" are the ones getting the most views .

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 3
      12-21-2015, 03:03 PM   #134
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I'll have to disagree here. Farah is a joke. He makes countless mistakes about specs and technical info in his reviews and he does not know how to drive. So he has zero credibility for me .

One reviewer I enjoyed was Tiff Needell, it is a shame 5th gear became less serious and more of a "comedy" show in recent times. Judging by the general trend, it seems that the "comedies" are the ones getting the most views .
Even knowing Matt's privileged background (Dad was Prez of Ralph Lauren, grew up in Greenwich, CT, etc) I think he does good videos. Dude has pretty much driven every car of the last decade and travels all over the place to get access. Hennessey is about 30 miles from my house and he's been out there twice in the last 2 years driving the products they are putting out.

More than anything, I feel he works hard and that matters a lot to me.
      12-21-2015, 09:29 PM   #135
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:

+1. I can't stand Farah. For one thing, his personality just really bugs me. He's not the kind of guy I would enjoy talking with. but even with my personal prejudices aside, I don't think I've ever heard an original thought out of one of his reviews, and I also don't think he is that good of a driver (certainly not relative to other journalists).

Harris, on the other hand, ticks all the boxes. he comments on what matters, his thoughts are all organic and original, he's quite eloquent, he's a very likable guy, and he's an incredible driver to boot. no homo.
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2015, 09:41 PM   #136
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:

+1 I can't either, especially after several of his past reviews. The only reviewer I take serious happens to be Chris Harris. Matt doesn't do cars justice, especially after that video about the Dianan SO M4. Every single American or UK reviewer seems to care for two things, and that is HP and how fast it can go down in a straight line. They care little for anything else it's sad and pathetic.
      12-22-2015, 09:53 AM   #137
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 Brooklyn Grey 6mt

Farah is so bro-douchy.

Carlos Lago is ok at times, but becomes douchy

I really like:
Chris Harris. I love his child-ness excitement. Just look up his compare b/w F40 v F50. That would be me.
Alex Goy. I love the deadpan serious excitement
Tiff Nedall. Same as Chris Harris, but an older guy still having that much fun.
Jonny Lieberman. The normal Joe-Smo loving cars

These are the guys I want reviewing the M2
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2015, 06:26 PM   #138
mephiska
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by surewin View Post
Yup- he bought the E92
Ugh, his opening about shoe choices reminds me of the day I picked up my M3. I was unfortunately wearing my Red Wing Beckman boots to work when the dealership sent me pics and said my car arrived unexpectedly early. He's right, very poor choice of shoes.
      12-24-2015, 02:19 AM   #139
surewin
///M3mber
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mephiska View Post
Ugh, his opening about shoe choices reminds me of the day I picked up my M3. I was unfortunately wearing my Red Wing Beckman boots to work when the dealership sent me pics and said my car arrived unexpectedly early. He's right, very poor choice of shoes.
haha- I definitely had to get used to heel-toeing in boots myself, but I'd say you can't ever go wrong with Red Wings!

6-Speed | Inconel M Exhaust | Stoptech | Macht Schnell | AST
Instagram: surewin_e92m
Appreciate 1
      12-24-2015, 05:18 AM   #140
F83
Roofless & Ruthless
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY 6MT F83

Garage List
I wonder what color of Honda Civic Type R Sutcliffe got?

I blame Lups because of reasons.
Appreciate 2
      12-24-2015, 06:52 AM   #141
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damasconian View Post
Even knowing Matt's privileged background (Dad was Prez of Ralph Lauren, grew up in Greenwich, CT, etc) I think he does good videos. Dude has pretty much driven every car of the last decade and travels all over the place to get access. Hennessey is about 30 miles from my house and he's been out there twice in the last 2 years driving the products they are putting out.

More than anything, I feel he works hard and that matters a lot to me.
What do you mean he works hard?

All he does is drive cars around, I'd love to do that too. And judging by the quantity of mistakes he makes, he probably isn't doing his research right. A clear indication he is not working hard enough.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
      12-24-2015, 07:32 AM   #142
Mperial
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3, 2017 X1

Quote:
What do you mean he works hard?

All he does is drive cars around, I'd love to do that too. And judging by the quantity of mistakes he makes, he probably isn't doing his research right. A clear indication he is not working hard enough.
With all due respect to Damasconian (and other members' opinions), I agree.
Matt seems lazy to me, and his reviews; impetuous. His conclusions are tossed off as an afterthought, not critically considered or evaluated while interacting with the community of auto journalists. Viewing his 'reviews' is like reading a scholarly academic journal that's not peer-reviewed; fodder for footnotes.

Last edited by Mperial; 12-24-2015 at 07:33 AM.. Reason: grammatical error
Appreciate 2
      12-24-2015, 09:16 AM   #143
Tuner1
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80>G80>F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
Harris, on the other hand, ticks all the boxes. he comments on what matters, his thoughts are all organic and original, he's quite eloquent, he's a very likable guy, and he's an incredible driver to boot. no homo.
Hear, hear and another vote for Harris from me.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 11:19 AM   #144
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by michal12 View Post
Exactly. I am surprised why he wasnt even considered
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3PedalMINI View Post
Cool!

Chris Harris would have been a perfect and worthy replacement for Jeremy Clarkson....

Top Gear is going to fail with this new bloke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Chris Harris became a league of his own. Better let him the freedom to do his own thing, the way he used to do and continues to do, rather than framing him into some pre-existing format featuring several nannies. As we know from his videos, he prefers sending away the nannies once he's behind the wheel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuner1 View Post
Hear, hear and another vote for Harris from me.
So Chris Harris is going to be on the new TG

http://www.theweek.co.uk/top-gear/65...larkson-and-co

The article calls him an 'unknown' because, other than to car people, he is.

Chris Evans is waaaay more known in the UK generally (and, remember, TG was the biggest show in the world not just for car guys, but for everyone)

Should be interesting to see how it all plays out...
      12-24-2015, 03:50 PM   #145
Noisygriff
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CSL

Really excellent news.

Couldn't stand that boarish oaf Clarkson - Top Gear will be much better for Harris' presence.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 10:11 AM   #146
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Mild update, it seems Mr Harris continues to enjoy the bejeezus out of the new M3.

(note, he calls it an F30 a couple of times, then corrects)

Quote:
Did 11k mls in my E90 M3. 3k mms in: new F30 model is miles better in every way. And I even like the noise it makes.

Quote:
Can totally understand peeps who don't like new turbo carrera 991, but not anyone who'd take E90 M3 over F30. New car's in a diff.league.

(and here is the post correcting F30 to F80: )

did some cosmetic mods I guess....

Quote:
Dropped by dicklovett and they very kindly made my car look more green. I am loving this thing.…

Also throws out some advice for those who complain the car is hard to drive in the moisture:

Quote:
Wet-weather instructions for new M3. Go up a gear. Or two. Eeeeeeasy on the throttle. TC in MDM mode. Slow inputs. Grow a pair. Enjoy.

.....by contrast, he isn't really loving on the new 911 Carrera S

Quote:
I'm still trying to like the new turbocharged 991 Carrera. And not miss the old n/a car. And I'm consistently failing.

Quote:
I need to better understand why I find the AMG/BMW M turbo-converts so much more successful than the 911's.

Quote:
Drove manual 991 Carrera S with new turbo motor last week. I liked it a little more than the PDK version. But I still don't really like it.
      01-26-2016, 02:27 PM   #147
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post
Mild update, it seems Mr Harris continues to enjoy the bejeezus out of the new M3.

(note, he calls it an F30 a couple of times, then corrects)

(and here is the post correcting F30 to F80: )

did some cosmetic mods I guess....

Also throws out some advice for those who complain the car is hard to drive in the moisture:

.....by contrast, he isn't really loving on the new 911 Carrera S

Some high praises! Wonder if his car is DCT or 6MT...
      04-30-2016, 06:45 AM   #148
brandonm3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Azurite Black F80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
Some high praises! Wonder if his car is DCT or 6MT...
DCT
Appreciate 0