Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

06-20-2021, 07:23 PM   #67
khcoaching
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by x.shell View Post
Thank you for all the feedback you motley crew.

I've decided I'm gonna give the MCS 2-way Remote a go.
Good call!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 07:46 PM   #68
sc_tr0jan_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyyouduh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_tr0jan_m3 View Post
I had a friend who started with 1w and after seeing my 2w perform in front of him, he prepped his setup to sell so he can fully upgrade to a 2w.
do you have the remote 2 ways or non remote? what spring rates? I'll occasionally drive babies around so a little concerned about 600/900# rates
Remotes. Just soaks up the curbs like nothing.

I run it on my e46 m3 and those springs rates are less than what I run.

2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 07:57 PM   #69
heyyouduh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
600/900 is perfectly fine with MCS. I'm running 800/1200 on both track cars and have no issues driving 500 miles. With lowered compression they feel nice and soft, even floaty.
good to know more than one posters have chimed in on that. with more data points I'm pretty sure I'll go the BW recommended 600/900
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 07:58 PM   #70
heyyouduh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_tr0jan_m3 View Post
Remotes. Just soaks up the curbs like nothing.

I run it on my e46 m3 and those springs rates are less than what I run.
Thanks. 2Ws probably way too overkill for what I'm doing right now, may upgrade to it in future.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 12:10 AM   #71
rborane
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rborane View Post
That's exactly what I run. 1WNR with 6" 600lb front Eibach spring & hyperco helper, and 8" 900lb rear Eibach (divorced) with the ground control rear weight jacks.

The ride isn't overly stiff at all and is the perfect mix for a dual duty car. Getting it corner balanced and aligned (-2.2F / -1.7R) made a big difference as well.

I may convert to true rear coilover eventually, but Bimmerworld recommended the 1WNR divorced for my use and simplicity. Cant recommend it enough.
Good to know re the spring rates. Can you compare it to stock in terms of ride quality? And did you get a code out or edc delete module (if you had adaptive)? Assuming you went through BW, did you get the front upper control arm bearing upgrade as well?

I vacillate between 1wnr and 2wnr... I know I don't NEED separate compression and rebound adjustment but there's not a big price difference. On the other hand in the future I want to leave the option open to potentially upgrade from 1wnr to 2w remotes although it seems like the upgrade isnt necessarily cheaper than selling the entire set up and buying a new set up.
@kubax86 coded EDC out for me. Great guy to work with. MCS with 600/900 rates and corner balanced ride way better than OEM. I found the oem suspension and EDC to be way too stiff in sports plus and not setup well in any other modes.

I purchased from bimmerworld, and if they are recommending I would trust them as well. Only bushings I've changed in front are installing the bimmerworld monoballs, and powerflex front sway bar bushings (purple). I would do the 1way if you go the non-remote route. More usable travel.
Appreciate 1
EGbeater115.00
      06-22-2021, 04:01 PM   #72
heyyouduh
First Lieutenant
Rep

An order as been placed, thanks guys.
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11468.50
RSXDC5707.00
      06-22-2021, 10:05 PM   #73
heyyouduh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quick question, BW recommends using 2.5" ID springs in the rear OE location because it fits in the stock bucket better. Other shops use 60mm ID (like TCKR rear height adjusters). GC sells height adjusters that accomodate both 2.5 or 2.25" ID springs. Anyone use 2.25" ID springs in the rear OE location? Is there really an issue with using 60mm ID or 2.25" ID springs in the rear OE location? I trust BW's recommendation, but I can't figure out what they mean when they say the 2.5" ID spring fits better. I figure when it's time to install I can take a look and figure it out, but the parts haven't arrived yet so just wanted to see if others here know why.

Last edited by heyyouduh; 06-22-2021 at 10:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 10:10 PM   #74
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Quick question, BW recommends using 2.5" ID springs in the rear OE location because it fits in the stock bucket better. Other shops use 60mm ID (like TCKR rear height adjusters). Anyone use 2.25" ID springs in the rear OE location? Is there really an issue with using 60mm ID or 2.25" ID springs in the rear OE location?
I use the BW recommended setup. Works great.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 11:22 PM   #75
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Quick question, BW recommends using 2.5" ID springs in the rear OE location because it fits in the stock bucket better. Other shops use 60mm ID (like TCKR rear height adjusters). GC sells height adjusters that accomodate both 2.5 or 2.25" ID springs. Anyone use 2.25" ID springs in the rear OE location? Is there really an issue with using 60mm ID or 2.25" ID springs in the rear OE location? I trust BW's recommendation, but I can't figure out what they mean when they say the 2.5" ID spring fits better. I figure when it's time to install I can take a look and figure it out, but the parts haven't arrived yet so just wanted to see if others here know why.
2.5" ID springs have larger travel than smaller ID springs. Also larger ID springs are less affected by the bend than smaller ID springs (basically why you need the weight jacks with smaller ID springs). Lastly, 2.25" ID springs are more difficult to find end pads for on the lower camber arm.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 11:34 PM   #76
rborane
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Stick with 2.5" rear (divorced) and 2.25" front and run the GC weight jacks for 2.5" rear. All reasons above are why BW recommends. What rates did you go with? Did you go with 1WNR or 2WNR?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 12:59 AM   #77
melanthius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Weird, in my quote from bimmerworld, they put 2.25" in front and back. (2WR) Am I screwed?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 01:12 AM   #78
rborane
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanthius View Post
Weird, in my quote from bimmerworld, they put 2.25" in front and back. (2WR) Am I screwed?
You're coilover rear so you're good. 2.5" is for divorced
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2021, 01:45 AM   #79
melanthius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
You're coilover rear so you're good. 2.5" is for divorced
That makes sense, thanks for the confirmation
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 07:24 AM   #80
heyyouduh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
2.5" ID springs have larger travel than smaller ID springs. Also larger ID springs are less affected by the bend than smaller ID springs (basically why you need the weight jacks with smaller ID springs). Lastly, 2.25" ID springs are more difficult to find end pads for on the lower camber arm.
Good point on the bending forces I didn't think about that. I enjoyed your videos btw
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 07:27 AM   #81
heyyouduh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Stick with 2.5" rear (divorced) and 2.25" front and run the GC weight jacks for 2.5" rear. All reasons above are why BW recommends. What rates did you go with? Did you go with 1WNR or 2WNR?
I went with the recommended 600/900 and 1wnr.

I figured the linear valving profile will make for overall a better street ride
And I read some non bmw forums to get more perspective on the 2 different shocks and it seems like the 2wnr is limited in ability to be revalved and has less travel as you mentioned. Overall it seemed more like it exists for those that can't or don't want to run remote reservoir shocks. If I ever find more time abd step up my commitment to this hobby I'll probably upgrade to the 2 way remotes ... Just find it had to justify spending that much money right now for my usage.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 07:36 PM   #82
heyyouduh
First Lieutenant
Rep

reaching out again to the bimmerpost collective to see if anyone has any good ideas.

I recently purchased the mcs 1wnr set up (everything included) and so far have received everything (shocks, front perches, springs, thrust sheets, hardware etc) EXCEPT the GC camber plates, GC rear height adjuster, and the front springs (6", 2.25ID, 600#, backordered by Eibach and Hyperco for several months I'm told). I have received already the 8", 2.5ID, 900# rear springs.

I was able to place an order for some in stock #500/800 springs from summit racing. I figured I can always start with 500/800 and switch to 600/900 later if I want to. Hope these will arrive shortly after the holiday weekend.

I have no idea how backed up GC is however, so I'm looking into alternatives to the camber plate and rear height adjuster. Vorshlag is the obvious alternative that offers fitment for 2.25ID springs. Turner Motorsports and TCKR both have camber plates as well, although neither of them seem to offer a fitment for 2.25ID springs.

With regards to sourcing an alternative rear height adjuster to GC, TCKR makes one for 60mm ID spring, and I guess I could call KW, Ohlins, BC, Fortune Auto etc to see if any of them are willing to sell me a separate rear height adjuster, if it works with 2.5" ID springs. Anyone smarter than me with any ideas? I'd like to get this all done as I have some time off next week.

Alternatively, I could just be patient and wait, but you know how it is with toys.

Last edited by heyyouduh; 07-02-2021 at 07:49 PM..
Appreciate 1
rborane241.00
      07-02-2021, 07:47 PM   #83
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
reaching out again to the bimmerpost collective to see if anyone has any good ideas.

I recently purchased the mcs 1wnr set up (everything included) and so far have received everything (shocks, front perches, springs, thrust sheets, hardware etc) EXCEPT the GC camber plates, GC rear height adjuster, and the front springs (6", 2.25ID, 600#, backordered by Eibach and Hyperco for several months I'm told). I have received already the 8", 2.5ID, 900# rear springs.

I was able to place an order for some in stock #500/800 springs from summit racing. I figured I can always start with 500/800 and switch to 600/900 later if I want to. Hope these will arrive shortly after the holiday weekend.

I have no idea how backed up GC is however, so I'm looking into alternatives to the camber plate and rear height adjuster. Vorshlag is the obvious alternative that offers fitment for 2.25ID springs. Turner Motorsports and TCKR both have camber plates as well, although neither of them seem to offer a fitment for 2.25ID springs.

With regards to sourcing an alternative rear height adjuster to GC, TCKR makes one for 60mm ID spring, and I guess I could call KW, Ohlins, BC, Fortune Auto etc to see if any of them are willing to sell me a separate rear height adjuster, if it works with 2.5" ID springs.

Alternatively, I could just be patient and wait, but you know how it is with toys.
For the rear height adjusters, you can get these temporarily. Only $85.

https://shop.bcracing-na.com/product...ight-adjusters
Appreciate 2
heyyouduh134.00
FaRKle!4006.50
      07-02-2021, 07:51 PM   #84
rborane
Captain
Rep

Quote:

With regards to sourcing an alternative rear height adjuster to GC, TCKR makes one for 60mm ID spring, and I guess I could call KW, Ohlins, BC, Fortune Auto etc to see if any of them are willing to sell me a separate rear height adjuster, if it works with 2.5" ID springs.

Go with vorshlag camber plates. That's what I run, and they were great to speak with and quick, and provide everything to adapt to MCS. I would just wait for the GC rear adjusters so you install everything all at once. Spring rates are your choice, but I am happy with 600/900 and the MCS currently set at 10 clicks out of 18.
Appreciate 1
heyyouduh134.00
      07-02-2021, 07:51 PM   #85
heyyouduh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x.shell View Post
For the rear height adjusters, you can get these temporarily. Only $85.

https://shop.bcracing-na.com/product...ight-adjusters
guessing from the product number, these are made for 68mm ID springs? Should work albeit with some play.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 07:57 PM   #86
heyyouduh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Go with vorshlag camber plates. That's what I run, and they were great to speak with and quick, and provide everything to adapt to MCS. I would just wait for the GC rear adjusters so you install everything all at once. Spring rates are your choice, but I am happy with 600/900 and the MCS currently set at 10 clicks out of 18.
I actually watched the Farkle camber plate comparison video and he preferred the Vorshlag as well, although doesn't seem like GC has issues. I'll give them a call whenever they open up after the holiday weekend if I still don't hear anything from GC.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 08:07 PM   #87
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
guessing from the product number, these are made for 68mm ID springs? Should work albeit with some play.
BC rear adjusters work just fine with 2.5" springs. I've run 60mm, and 2.5" springs on mine.

You can get a better look at them in one of the earliest videos I did:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Index
-Parts: 1:48
-Wheel Bolts Size: 4:07
-Rear Shock Top Mount Bolts Size: 4:33
-Camber Arm Bottom Cover Nuts Size: 5:02
-Rear Knuckle/Camber Arm Bolt/Nut Size: 5:23
-Lower Spring Pad Modification: 6:37
-Camber Arm/Knuckle Alignment Tip: 8:27
-Rear Knuckle/Camber Arm Bolt/'Nut Torque Specs: 9:03
-Rear Shock Top Mount Bolts Torque Spec: 9:17
-Wheel Bolts Torque Spec: 9:47

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 2
      07-02-2021, 08:38 PM   #88
heyyouduh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
BC rear adjusters work just fine with 2.5" springs. I've run 60mm, and 2.5" springs on mine.

You can get a better look at them in one of the earliest videos I did:
thanks, somehow I missed that video. you're like a bmw suspension genie, I had just mentioned your name couple of posts up and you appeared.
Appreciate 1
FaRKle!4006.50