EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

06-28-2021, 04:48 PM   #45
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quite late to the party, but wanted to say how glad I am that you are ok, NYG!

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 1
NYG10571.50
      06-29-2021, 08:20 AM   #46
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Quite late to the party, but wanted to say how glad I am that you are ok, NYG!
I do appreciate that my man. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 05:06 PM   #47
MaX PL
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

do any of your track insurance providers allow you to buy insurance the morning of the event?

I usually purchase the day before but with the weather tomorrow, I may not want to go and don't want to buy insurance unnecessarily.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 05:59 PM   #48
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

All that I know of require you buy the day before
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 06:53 PM   #49
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

I recall that some of the carriers issue refunds if you cancel. They require a note from the event organizer confirming that you didn't attend.

my most recent open track policy includes the language below which won't help you day of.

OpenTrack’s On Demand policies are non-refundable - however, may be moved to a different date. This must be done prior to 12:01 am on the day of policy inception. You can move your policy to another date (up to 30 days out from your policy’s current effective date) by logging into your account and selecting “Request Change” from your policy page. If your event was cancelled the morning of, you can request to have your policy moved to a different date by emailing a letter from the event organizer showing the event never took place
to support@opentrack.com.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 09:23 AM   #50
MaX PL
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Thanks guys.

Ended up going. Perfect weather. Cool and cloudy in July.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 10:30 AM   #51
Soul Coughing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 ZCP

Garage List
Really glad that you made it out without any injuries and you are being made whole by the insurance company. I will be purchasing insurance for my next event for sure now!
Appreciate 1
NYG10571.50
      07-06-2021, 12:15 PM   #52
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Coughing View Post
Really glad that you made it out without any injuries and you are being made whole by the insurance company. I will be purchasing insurance for my next event for sure now!
Thank you bro.

Lien has been released and all is done!

Only difficulty now is that OnTrack won't insure me for a little while but I do plan on using them again.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 08:07 PM   #53
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Coughing View Post
Thank you bro.

Lien has been released and all is done!

Only difficulty now is that OnTrack won't insure me for a little while but I do plan on using them again.
I recall that when you purchase track insurance through Lockton [?] and others brokers that you need to check a box certifying that you're not had a claim or accident during the preceeding [x] years.

If you check the box will you be denied coverage or is the premium higher?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 08:17 PM   #54
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep

moral hazard

With the peace of mind of insurance are you guys finding that your push harder than you would otherwise without a policy?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 03:47 AM   #55
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_SheerDrivingPleasure View Post
I recall that when you purchase track insurance through Lockton [?] and others brokers that you need to check a box certifying that you're not had a claim or accident during the preceeding [x] years.

I think they assess the risk and then decide.

Because mine was a total loss and now I'm trying to double the coverage - none of them are too excited.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 07:00 AM   #56
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I think they assess the risk and then decide.

Because mine was a total loss and now I'm trying to double the coverage - none of them are too excited.
It's time for a Miata if (when?) I become uninsurable.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 08:48 AM   #57
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's time for a Miata if (when?) I become uninsurable.
Used SS1LE was lookin' like a solid dedicated track car option until the recent price gouging.
Appreciate 2
      07-07-2021, 12:19 PM   #58
melanthius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
With the peace of mind of insurance are you guys finding that your push harder than you would otherwise without a policy?
Not at all, I'm already scared enough as it is driving with no DSC, and it's not like if you wreck they just hand you a free car upgrade. It's expensive for the deductible and would be traumatizing.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 11:52 AM   #59
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanthius View Post
Not at all, I'm already scared enough as it is driving with no DSC, and it's not like if you wreck they just hand you a free car upgrade. It's expensive for the deductible and would be traumatizing.
You're not wrong.

On the one hand it doesn't absolve you completely of any troubles after the incident, especially the risk of injury or death which is #1 above all else, but on the other hand, you no longer have this restrictor in your brain that's impeding on your ability to properly learn how to drive. As long as the driver is learning at the correct rate and driving at their skill level (which let's be honest we're all guilty of doing from time to time) it does free you a little bit. Sometimes the driver braking 200 ft early and letting off the throttle on a long straight is more dangerous.

But it's impossible to really prepare for all these scenarios. My incident ended up being a total loss and when it happened, I was on MPSS tires in a dense driver/race group so I wasn't even pushing the car hard.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 02:16 PM   #60
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by melanthius View Post
You're not wrong.

On the one hand it doesn't absolve you completely of any troubles after the incident, especially the risk of injury or death which is #1 above all else, but on the other hand, you no longer have this restrictor in your brain that's impeding on your ability to properly learn how to drive. As long as the driver is learning at the correct rate and driving at their skill level (which let's be honest we're all guilty of doing from time to time) it does free you a little bit. Sometimes the driver braking 200 ft early and letting off the throttle on a long straight is more dangerous.

But it's impossible to really prepare for all these scenarios. My incident ended up being a total loss and when it happened, I was on MPSS tires in a dense driver/race group so I wasn't even pushing the car hard.
Good points all around.

On a related topic, I have noticed that I'm pushing harder since I've purchased the Simpson Hybrid head and neck restraint. Come to think of it, I recently tracked a spec miata with a 6 pt harness. For better or worse, I was truly feeling liberated from consequences (financially and personal safety).

I will add that Open Track is unique in that they offer liability coverage as an add on policy. This gives me great peace of mind although as others have stated, it's not a license to be reckless and put others at risk.

be safe have fun.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 03:11 PM   #61
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good points all around.

On a related topic, I have noticed that I'm pushing harder since I've purchased the Simpson Hybrid head and neck restraint. Come to think of it, I recently tracked a spec miata with a 6 pt harness. For better or worse, I was truly feeling liberated from consequences (financially and personal safety).

I will add that Open Track is unique in that they offer liability coverage as an add on policy. This gives me great peace of mind although as others have stated, it's not a license to be reckless and put others at risk.

be safe have fun.
And at the end of the day, you'll end up becoming a better driver than 99% of people because of it.

Check with your organization as well. Most of them carry liability policy for participants.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 08:28 PM   #62
biofluke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Competition

I met Steve Katz at an event this weekend. What an awesome guy. I've been using ontrackinsurance for years and I will continue to do so, especially knowing that the guy that runs the company is a fellow track-nut, ex racer, excellent instructor, and all around good dude. Glad to hear you've had a good experience with them. I am highly considering getting a full-year policy for next year.
Appreciate 1
NYG10571.50
      08-02-2021, 10:56 PM   #63
MDGreen
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, NASA GTS2 e36, Tesla Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by biofluke View Post
I met Steve Katz at an event this weekend. What an awesome guy. I've been using ontrackinsurance for years and I will continue to do so, especially knowing that the guy that runs the company is a fellow track-nut, ex racer, excellent instructor, and all around good dude. Glad to hear you've had a good experience with them. I am highly considering getting a full-year policy for next year.
Have you looked into the pricing for the full year? I'm curious how many events you need to do to breakeven.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 12:08 AM   #64
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDGreen View Post
Have you looked into the pricing for the full year? I'm curious how many events you need to do to breakeven.
I'll be looking into this for 22' and hopefully back with ontrack so I'll follow up here around March/April.
Appreciate 1
zcp31288.50
      07-12-2022, 11:13 AM   #65
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Just wanted to bump this thread to remind everyone the importance of track insurance.

As far as updates go; it was a bit early to sign up with OnTrack so I got an annual policy with Open Track for 2022.
Appreciate 2
      07-12-2022, 04:48 PM   #66
alpinefd
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 F80

does it make a difference if you are running in a timed event? for ex. all these ### challenge that are popular now adays.

or using a GPS lap timer?
Appreciate 0