Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

08-03-2018, 08:50 PM   #67
Prossx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 G82 6MT SPY/YMB

So what are the differences between the EFFICIENT, SPORT and SPORT PLUS modes?

In the SPORT and SPORT PLUS modes, the waste gates remain closed under partial load and the mass flow is routed through the turbines, to ensure that the turbo chargers are already rotating at a higher base speed even in standby. Moreover, certain special engine control functions are brought into play that accelerate activation of the turbo chargers. This means that the car responds more closely to the accelerator in SPORT and SPORT PLUS modes.

Another important point is that we normally have to take the drive train into consideration when it comes to building up torque. As a rule, the engine is able to build up torque at a speed that is much faster than that with which the drive train can cope. You can imagine that the drive train then begins to behave like a torsion spring, which is first stretched out and then vibrates, resulting in juddering. To prevent such judders, it is necessary to dampen the engine's build up of momentum to allow a harmonic progression of its response characteristics.
The rigid drive train of the new BMW M3 and BMW M4 is, however, optimised for a fast build-up of momentum, similar to a racing car, with a carbon fibre drive shaft, rear axle rigidly bolted to the body, suitably dimensioned drive shafts, etc. This means that the rigid drive train is also an important factor of the spontaneous entrance of the new BMW M3 and BMW M4. In EFFICIENT mode, everything is more levelled out, with a high orientation towards comfort. In stark contrast is the SPORT PLUS mode, which pays absolutely no attention to any comfort factors. In SPORT PLUS, all filter functions are deactivated and the engine responds directly to movements of the accelerator pedal – but this also requires someone behind the wheel who really knows what he is doing. In SPORT PLUS, everything is transmitted as sharply as a knife, in terms of what the engineering can do to facilitate fast lap times – whether in the engine, transmission, chassis or control systems.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 10:20 PM   #68
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

To answer your thread title - No.

For the rest, do some searching.

Also, see here - BMW M3 / M4 Engine (S55): Deep Dive and Interview https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=975864
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 05:15 PM   #69
Vegetable
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
To answer your thread title - No.

For the rest, do some searching.

Also, see here - BMW M3 / M4 Engine (S55): Deep Dive and Interview https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=975864
Thanks, but that wasn't my thread title.. Mods changed it.
      08-05-2018, 10:13 AM   #70
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3liter1 View Post
I find that in normal (slower) driving, revs drop too much on upshifts with sport +. Am I missing something? I often want to be able to shift casually, not in human DCT mode, and that causes rev drop in both efficient and sport +. Sport seems to work best. Perhaps just a personal preference thing ?
That’s because the auto rev match feature is disabled in Sport+. Auto rev match also works on upshifts, so if you are lazy with your upshifts, it will hold the revs until you release the clutch. Not the case in Sport+, hence why you have the perception that the revs “drop too much”.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 08-05-2018 at 12:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 10:22 AM   #71
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Tooner View Post
Running in Sport+ engine mode will put your engine into super cooling mode to anticipate for higher engine loads/duty cycle like when driving at the race track. This is achieved by first opening up the electronic thermostat to allow for more coolant flow from radiator to engine, then when thermally saturated, the fans will kick in to provide more cooling. This is the main reason why the F8x is so bullet proof at not overheating at the race track.

However if you're just driving normally on the street but run Sport+ all the time, your engine will never reach it's normal operating temperature. I have a AIM Solo DL that tells me coolant and oil temps numerically in real-time.

When driving normally in 80-90F ambient temps:
Efficient and Sport = Coolant @ 212-224F, Oil @ 212-223F
Sport+ = Coolant @ 163-178F, Oil 195-205F
(I edited the numbers because I had remembered wrongly)

Do you know what happens when your engine oil never gets up to its intended normal operating temp? Wear increases because the cold engine doesn’t heat the oil sufficiently to evaporate harmful deposits from combustion blow-by and moisture, and then acid will accumulate rapidly, and eat away at the inside of your engine. Not to mention fuel economy goes down the toilet but none here seems to worry too much about that one. However if you do frequent oil changes, the corrosion part may not be an issue.

One other interesting fact that I've discovered is that in winter months, when ambient temps are below 50F, the F8x is smart enough to know that it needs to bump the coolant temperature up a little to ensure you get sufficient heating inside the cabin. It will run the coolant at close to 200F automatically even in Sport+ mode.

So the question is, if both Sport and Sport+ uses the same engine mapping to ensure turbos get spooled quickly to provide sharp throttle response, but one runs at normal temp and the other at colder temps, why would you choose the colder option if you're only driving on the streets? The car is going to be just as fast and responsive in either Sport or Sport+. It's your car, you can do whatever you want.

I'm still at awe at how advanced the cooling system is on this car. I don't think any other vehicle in its class offers this amount of cooling sophistication, maybe in the higher end sports cars, they do.
Sport and Sport+ do not use the same engine mapping. Sport still has some dampening programmed in the throttle response.

In general terms, warmer engine operating temperatures are better for fuel efficiency, while cooler operating temperatures are better for producing maximum power.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 08:58 PM   #72
3liter1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3

Quote:
Running in Sport+ engine mode will put your engine into super cooling mode to anticipate for higher engine loads/duty cycle like when driving at the race track. This is achieved by first opening up the electronic thermostat to allow for more coolant flow from radiator to engine, then when thermally saturated, the fans will kick in to provide more cooling. This is the main reason why the F8x is so bullet proof at not overheating at the race track.

However if you're just driving normally on the street but run Sport+ all the time, your engine will never reach it's normal operating temperature. I have a AIM Solo DL that tells me coolant and oil temps numerically in real-time.

When driving normally in 80-90F ambient temps:
Efficient and Sport = Coolant @ 212-224F, Oil @ 212-223F
Sport+ = Coolant @ 163-178F, Oil 195-205F
(I edited the numbers because I had remembered wrongly)

Do you know what happens when your engine oil never gets up to its intended normal operating temp? Wear increases because the cold engine doesn’t heat the oil sufficiently to evaporate harmful deposits from combustion blow-by and moisture, and then acid will accumulate rapidly, and eat away at the inside of your engine. Not to mention fuel economy goes down the toilet but none here seems to worry too much about that one. However if you do frequent oil changes, the corrosion part may not be an issue.

One other interesting fact that I've discovered is that in winter months, when ambient temps are below 50F, the F8x is smart enough to know that it needs to bump the coolant temperature up a little to ensure you get sufficient heating inside the cabin. It will run the coolant at close to 200F automatically even in Sport+ mode.

So the question is, if both Sport and Sport+ uses the same engine mapping to ensure turbos get spooled quickly to provide sharp throttle response, but one runs at normal temp and the other at colder temps, why would you choose the colder option if you're only driving on the streets? The car is going to be just as fast and responsive in either Sport or Sport+. It's your car, you can do whatever you want.

I'm still at awe at how advanced the cooling system is on this car. I don't think any other vehicle in its class offers this amount of cooling sophistication, maybe in the higher end sports cars, they do.
Very cool! (no pun intended). I did a quick check on this on my way home today, and sure enough in sport plus, the engine temps dropped one entire "tick" (about 30 degrees) from efficient and sport. This was at only 2,000 rpm in 4th gear (40mph). It only took a minute or so for the temps to adjust down then back up.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 02:12 PM   #73
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Had my F80Z 6MT for 3 days now and while I'm still getting to know the different throttle modes I can already see that Sport+ is pretty much going to be my default 100% of the time.

Why? Two reasons:

1 - The motor's part throttle response is fantastic, especially above 3k rpm. Very direct, very NA-ish. Also - the transition from part to full throttle seems to minimize lag the most in this mode

2 - I don't like the auto rev match downshifts in the other modes. It's unnatural and awkward although it works very well. Both my wife and I agree that it actually gets in the way. We bought a manual to be in control so let us be in control
Appreciate 4
SherM4n630.00
shay2nak1070.00
seis-speed2426.00
CanAutM321104.50
      08-08-2018, 04:10 PM   #74
alfonseexists
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 with Comp Pack

Garage List
2018 BMW m4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
Had my F80Z 6MT for 3 days now and while I'm still getting to know the different throttle modes I can already see that Sport+ is pretty much going to be my default 100% of the time.

Why? Two reasons:

1 - The motor's part throttle response is fantastic, especially above 3k rpm. Very direct, very NA-ish. Also - the transition from part to full throttle seems to minimize lag the most in this mode

2 - I don't like the auto rev match downshifts in the other modes. It's unnatural and awkward although it works very well. Both my wife and I agree that it actually gets in the way. We bought a manual to be in control so let us be in control
I totally agree. I’ve had mine since April I only use sport+. The throttle simply feels right there. Hate rev matching. It’s not hard to get good at it. I don’t even know I’m doing it half the time.
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2018, 04:39 PM   #75
silverstar335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05

I will let the more experienced forum members share their perspective but based on my experience (35k+ miles), it has not been a problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 10:30 PM   #76
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 DCT, 2019 Raptor

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graves View Post
Welp, guess I'm driving in ECO all the time. Bout dat MPG.
Yep, that's why I bought my M3...for the gas mileage.
      08-14-2018, 05:58 AM   #77
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

The responses in this thread are epic
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 12:22 PM   #78
overlook637
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Both my wife and I hate the sport+ mode. Way to jerky for normal street driving. I've got it programmed for the m2. Occasionally use it for highway merge / hooligan mode. The its back to m1 sport setting or if its a highway trip we will use the efficient mode.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 01:27 PM   #79
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

Quote:

I've noticed this as well and agree the cooling system is smart. On colder winter california days, doesn't matter what I run the mode in, the oil temps will hit 210+ for a few minutes if I'm cruising on the freeway. If i stay in sport / sport +, the temps will eventually taper down more towards 190. I've tested this out many times, temps will reach 210-220 first on those days. If I want temperature to drop faster, then I just get on the gas harder and earlier. Pretty nifty.. I can be cruising at 210F and suddenly start a few WOT runs and temps will end up near 190 after a slight raise prior to the dip in temps.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 04:12 PM   #80
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc05e46m3 View Post
The responses in this thread are epic
All jokes about mileage and breaking it and what these cars are capable of aside, the posts linking the BMW engineers describing what happens in each engine mode and why have changed me from DDing in Sport+ to Sport.

Efficient was boring and laggy IMHO, and I was really enjoying Sport+ but every now and again I was experiencing rough movement at lights and jerkiness here and there. I took a really spirited drive a few weeks ago in S transmission mode and found that D had adapted accordingly to be much more sporty/responsive than in the past but jerkiness off the line or at low speed issues were even worse.

I tried keeping it in Sport and now the quality of my DDing is much better than in Sport+. Whether I use the paddle shifters or not.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 09:59 AM   #81
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlook637 View Post
Both my wife and I hate the sport+ mode. Way to jerky for normal street driving. I've got it programmed for the m2. Occasionally use it for highway merge / hooligan mode. The its back to m1 sport setting or if its a highway trip we will use the efficient mode.
Bizarre - I don't find it jerky at all in my manual ZCP. It's perfect to me - very linear response giving a direct connection between gas pedal and rear wheels. But I come from extremely response motors and so perhaps that's a factor here.

Plus, efficient mode is slow and hugely laggy, at least in the manual so I can't even enjoy the car like that unless I'm just cruising.

To be fair, I haven't used sport much.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 06:27 PM   #82
///M-er-gized
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

I run Sport 99% of the time. The thing about Sport+ is that it sucks gas dry. I suppose that's ok if you don't mind making a lot of trips to the gas station but I think performance in regular sport mode is excellent for when driving to and from work. Efficient mode just doesn't cut it for me...

Last edited by ///M-er-gized; 08-21-2018 at 06:32 PM..
Appreciate 0