Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

11-07-2017, 09:45 PM   #133
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Wow, I like. At least I have the red start button already haha
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3160.50
      11-07-2017, 09:49 PM   #134
Aus_M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassicaia View Post
Sorry im going to call total BS here.

"Carbon fiber-reinforced plastic (CFRP) roof, front splitter, “Gurney Flap” and rear diffuser reduce weight by 110 lb over the standard BMW M3."

The CF roof is on the standard M3, so are they saying the splitter, "gurney flap" (huh?), and rear diffuser reduce the weight by 110lbs? Can not compute.
It also has single zone climate control, CF Bonnet, lighter weight centre console etc. I think all these things add up and they are probably comparing to a standard M3 which no longer has a CF drive shaft while I assume this does.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 09:53 PM   #135
AMB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 M3CS|05 E46XiT|18 Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
That was a UK only model, not a BMW Global model. It doesn't count.
The CS in Europe was the ZCP here, it was a step down from the CSL which is what I equate these models to. I just take issue with them saying FIRST EVER. All of this marketing jargon is reminiscent of AMG.

'05 M3 CS | Silver Grey | M Cloth
OEM CSL Front - Rear - CF Roof | Dinan S2 Performance Pack | 19" RAC Monolite RG4s
Appreciate 2
dinonz3216.00
Law6383.00
      11-07-2017, 10:03 PM   #136
ilia
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
I knew I should've waited
      11-07-2017, 10:11 PM   #137
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabolica View Post
So why don't the M3 CS models get the OLED tails like the M4? Why are the seats different ? Wouldn't it just make more sense for the two cars to be identical in options?
The tail lights would be pricey to develop just for the limited run this car will see. The M4 CS borrowed the M4 GTS tail lights, and that car had a much bigger budget to work with due to an MSRP that was double the base car, plus they knew they’d be put to use later on the M4 CS which would run for a year plus.

The distinct two-tone seats function as a way to visually distinguish the car from the lesser M3. It does not get the special door treatment - a feature that the M4 CS also borrows from the M4 GTS - because the parts would not work physically, nor necessarily be in keeping with the ethos of a four door performance car, so they needed another low overhead way to create visual impact. Someone else also mentioned the seats match those of the M3 30 Jahre, which may very well be the case. In the US, we got Fjord Blue seating surfaces, but elsewhere I believe they were indeed light gray.

Yes, I think it would make more sense for the cars to have identical or at least functionally identical features and equipment. But the M3 CS seems to be a product which was approved much later in the game. They seem to be putting it together with an eye on the budget. It sounds like it will be cheaper than the M4 CS, but the question remains - will the drop in price justify the content changes? And another question is, will it be readily available, given the low production numbers?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 10:17 PM   #138
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Icon in the making

If this car is nice as the coupe to drive, it should nothing short awesome. I wonder why limit the production in its case?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 10:18 PM   #139
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Yes, I think it would make more sense for the cars to have identical or at least functionally identical features and equipment. But the M3 CS seems to be a product which was approved much later in the game. They seem to be putting it together with an eye on the budget. It sounds like it will be cheaper than the M4 CS, but the question remains - will the drop in price justify the content changes? And another question is, will it be readily available, given the low production numbers?
Eh - not sure I agree. Your point regarding the door cards and it not being worth changing them etc is valid but I see M3CS and M4CS as different target markets.

M4 GTS = I think I'm a racing driver
M4 CS = I probably am a racing driver, and want a lighter car to track and use on the street
M3 CS = I'm better than all racing drivers, but I want my comfort too.

Other than homologation reasons, a 4 door race car makes little sense. Hence they made what I called before my "M3 CR" - the M3 California Roll. Rice on the outside, but still all the good bits on the inside.

Just a shame they ruined it with DCT
Appreciate 1
davem3fan186.50
      11-07-2017, 10:20 PM   #140
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: SMB F80 6MT

Anyone think that spoiler will be available?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 10:20 PM   #141
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus_M View Post
It also has single zone climate control, CF Bonnet, lighter weight centre console etc. I think all these things add up and they are probably comparing to a standard M3 which no longer has a CF drive shaft while I assume this does.
Another good point on content - we don’t know about the driveshaft yet. The original notice of the switch to steel came before this car was announced, so there obviously would not have been mention of it. I agree it makes sense that this car would have the CF driveshaft, but it is an unknown for now.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 10:34 PM   #142
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
Eh - not sure I agree. Your point regarding the door cards and it not being worth changing them etc is valid but I see M3CS and M4CS as different target markets.
I see them both for what they are - limited products that are meant to appeal to a buyer who wants something more special. BMW doesn’t care who that is. They know that low volume products entice their customers.

When we look at the Competition Package, it’s pretty clear that BMW considers the sedan and coupe to be equals. Same content. Nothing to indicate the sedan is any less “competition-y”. The CS models are really just amped up Competition models with some more exclusive content and a higher price to match. No reason they couldn’t share features from a marketing standpoint. If BMW had the parts readily available, the cars would most likely have feature parity. But since they don’t, yes, they have created some deliberate separation (including seats and the tires).

I could add here that if we were talking about an M3 GTS, different content would make much more sense. A sedan without a back seat would be somewhat silly and not very marketable. By contrast the M4 CS interior would work fine in a sedan. Although, as I said in a post above, the door pulls are less of a match, the Alcantara seats and the rest of the Alcantara door treatment would fit great. Indeed, BMW has hinted that future CSL models could include a sedan, and while they’ve said the coupes would have a cage and no back seat, we can fully expect a sedan would keep the rear seat.

BMW also could have used a different name for the M3, but it seems they decided the new CS brand would benefit more than any potential negative affect the divergent content and message might have. In the end, these are two special products with some similar features and both will be able to command prices significantly higher than the rest of the M3 and M4 lineup despite the fact that many of us would not necessarily see the overall value of the package.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 10:37 PM   #143
Gatte
Major
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels.

mkoesel, SickFinga, Thescout13, BMW M3 CRT: Let's now take a look back:

The M3 CS is indeed a CS. It was not de-badged or re-badged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatte View Post
It will be a CS unless they do some sort of de-badging or re-badging.
Quote:
I mentioned that there is another vehicle out there (not roaming or in Camo) with a badge on the rear which has M3 CS on it. I said the car will be called M3 CS based on the badge it currently carries. I did mention that BMW might still go ahead and change that badge between now and when they announce it.

I can only state things based on what I see now. Everything else will be what we call speculation, which is what you say you and a few others are doing.
The car I had mentioned was indeed Grayish and without camo which is what you are seeing here.
From 10-07-2017:
Quote:
If I saw a car with M4 CS parts like the spoiler for example in a special gray, and if it had something written on it that told us what car it was, I would think it safe to assume it to be the M3 CS.
Also, we now know officially about this car "much" sooner than we expected and within 2-3 weeks of 10-25-2017.
From 10-25-2017:
Quote:
Let's give it 2-3 weeks. Like we did for the spyshots to show up.
Quote:
Quote:
But at the same time, I think it is pretty safe to assume that there is a reason why the M4 CS is being treated as a separate model, while this M3 "CS" is not. The fact that they weren't presented or at least announced at the same time also suggests some sort of separation between the two.
I am not sure if I can change your mind but there is another car (little more updated) in a different color that has a trunk badge which says M3 CS. This is the M3 CS.

Edit: As I mentioned earlier, we will know officially what this car will be called "much" sooner than expected.
Appreciate 5
Thescout134947.00
mkoesel7517.00
MrYLT146.50
CanAutM321122.00
      11-07-2017, 10:43 PM   #144
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

^^^ Yep, you had it right. Did you see my first post in this thread? I gave you your credit - it was due. . Let me add that I apologize for being so harsh in past discussions - I should have been less sarcastic and more open minded. I’ll work to keep that in mind in the future.

I still see this as a outlier as far as product launches, but I am actually happy to see that there are still surprises in this day and age where almost everything is known ahead of time.
Appreciate 2
Gatte1193.00
CanAutM321122.00
      11-07-2017, 10:48 PM   #145
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

I always believed in you Gatte
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 1
Gatte1193.00
      11-07-2017, 10:48 PM   #146
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Just found a new drinking game. Take a drink for every time they say, "...in the first ever M3 CS..."
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 10:53 PM   #147
Gatte
Major
Rep

Quote:
^^^ Yep, you had it right. Did you see my first post in this thread? I gave you your credit - it was due. . Let me add that I apologize for being so harsh in past discussions - I should have been less sarcastic and more open minded. I’ll work to keep that in mind in the future.

I still see this as a outlier as far as product launches, but I am actually happy to see that there are still surprises in this day and age where almost everything is known ahead of time.
I saw the post. Just having some fun at your expense. .

Last edited by Gatte; 11-07-2017 at 11:16 PM..
Appreciate 2
mkoesel7517.00
      11-07-2017, 11:15 PM   #148
Gatte
Major
Rep

Quote:
The whole thing has been atypical. It would appear this car was sort of a last minute green lit project. No doubt they realized that the product made too much sense from a business perspective to ignore - it would be relatively quick to pull together, and it would work out great as a limited edition swan song to the F80.
Based on what I've heard, they work on a lot of different setups and multiple cars constantly almost like finding out what can be improved on each of the cars. There were 5-6 variations of the M2 Competition/CS/CSL at one point at the facility and only 1 of them was caught testing at the Nurburgring. I am not sure if all the improvements and setups are being tested with a particular end car in mind or if they are just doing it to see what effects the changes will have.
For example, there is also an M4 GTS that is being worked on (not very actively) even though we do not expect seeing an even more hardcore version of it in the future.

But once the best setup is figured out and the special parts arrive, it takes around 3 weeks for a small team to fully assemble a car starting from the base model. This particular M3 CS in Gray had been built for quite some time now.

What I do not understand is where the M2 in Hockenheim silver has gone. It was there about 3 weeks ago but has since disappeared.
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2017, 11:22 PM   #149
MBM6F
Shazaam
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

I like the rear lip, but I would have liked to see an E46 CSL style trunk.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 12:09 AM   #150
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Sick
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 12:20 AM   #151
Hedoniste
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | M135i

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
Very nice
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 12:25 AM   #152
just blaze
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Much better looking than the m4 but seriously why isn't this how the m3 comes stock.
Easy, because BMW can create M3/M4 variants with incremental enhancements and people will pay for them. It's easy to manipulate demand with an intense marketing campaign coupled with a limited quantity run.
Exactly. Each iteration of the same chassis every 2-3 years and a price bump when they could of easily just made it like that to begin with. But BMW is in the business of making money and as long as people keep buying em up, they'll continue doing so.
      11-08-2017, 12:27 AM   #153
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Garage List
But does it have a carbon fiber driveshaft? LoL
2008 128i E88 / Alpine White / Boston Leather Sport / 6AT / M3 Paddle Shifters / Bilstein B8 / H&R Springs / Dinan Fixed Camber Plates / BMW 335i Front Brakes / PIAA Xtreme White 4150K Angel Eyes / Rear Fogs Enabled / Cyba Air Scoops / Euro Airbox / BMW Performance Exhaust / Stubby BMW Antenna
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 12:44 AM   #154
1azycat
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 CP

Maybe the CS exhaust is causing the lighter weight? Rims and hood alone account for about 15kg max. 40kg unaccounted
Appreciate 0