proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

12-10-2015, 03:07 PM   #1
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

DIY: Install M Performance Electronic Steering Wheel

I had the opportunity to purchase a secondhand BMW M Performance Electronic Steering Wheel (part# 32302344148) and jumped on it. It's a beautiful piece that is even better to hold in person, and compliments the car nicely.

I decided to tackle it DIY. It took me a good bit of searching to find the original BMW instructions, and they aren't super clear for your average DIY project, so I'm going to try to augment it here and share some shortcuts and tips learned along the way.

For anyone starting this, do download the original instructions, attached at the bottom of this post, and keep them alongside mine.

This was all done on my F80 M3. This is your likely starting place.

And this is where you will end up!

1) Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery. No pictures here, it's under the passenger rear corner trunk trim. 10mm socket.

2) Remove the airbag. This (and most original pieces) will be re-used, so take care. On the sides of the wheel are two holes. Put something dull in there (I used the T-20 screwdriver) and press in on the retaining clips. As you push on the clips, pull the airbag lightly on that side with your other hand, and you will feel it pop free of the retaining clip.

After the airbag is free of the retaining clips, remove the single yellow connector harness inside at the top of the steering wheel. The airbag is now free, place it aside safely.

3) Remove the steering wheel center trim. BMW calls it a "finisher". One T-20 screw directly behind the bottom of the trim (6 o'clock wheel position, seen in a mirror below) and two T-20 screws inside the airbag recess at the top corners.

Once you have the screws free, it is held in place by a series of pop clips around the middle. Use a small pick to help them free so you don't break any tabs. The two trickiest, stickiest ones are right next to the joining of the airbag "circle" portion and the wheel "spoke" portion. Use a mirror to help see, and a pick to free them. Some good hand wiggling works well too.

4) Disassembly of the inside of the steering wheel comes next. Unplug as many of the connectors as you can reasonably reach, you'll get the rest later. Start with the 3-4 plugs (depending on options... my car has all options) on the black control box located at the 5 o'clock position of the airbag cavity. Once free, remove it and set it aside. You will be transferring it over to the new wheel.

Next remove the shift paddles. A single silver T-20 screw on the front side of the wheel (now exposed) holds each in place, as seen in the pic above. Place aside to transfer to new wheel.

The BMW instructions call for removing the wheel vibration mechanism at this point. I did as instructed, but it is much easier if you wait. If you have a long thin pick you can do so now by prying up the bottom of the gold colored clip. If you don't, or are having a hard time, do it 2 steps later after removing the wheel rear trim... it is much easier to do it at this point.

5) Remove the steering wheel from the hub. An impact wrench and 16mm impact socket will take it right off. (Make sure you have unclipped AT LEAST the remaining center two harnesses which connect the wheel and the steering hub.

6) With the wheel off, flip it over and look at the back. Remove two more T-20 screws (black) which hold the rear trim to the wheel, as well as the multi-function buttons. The multi-function buttons remain attached to each other (left side to right side) by a wiring harness. Set these aside for transfer to the new wheel.

**If you didn't remove the wheel vibration mechanism yet, go ahead and do it now. You've got full access to the retaining clip now. Much easier! Transfer this mechanism and clip over to the new wheel now.

You should now have a bare, original steering wheel. Set aside and wrap it up for safe keeping. Next we'll tackle the wiring, and then re-assemble the new wheel.

WIRING

7) Start by separating the steering column trim. It's held together tightly by a series of clips, but there are no screws. Use a trim tool, pick, or small screwdriver to help separate the pieces. Take your time and take care, this is not the place to break a clip. The top piece releases upwards first. Push it back and rest it on the column, it will stay there until reassembly. The bottom piece separates by gently pushing two clips outward from the top. NOTE: the bottom trim has two small harnesses coming out of it. Disconnect them carefully as you go. Once separated, remove and set aside the bottom trim piece.

8) Remove the steering electronics hub. We will need to add the data line to a connector on the back of this component, but unfortunately (on my car) it was not possible to remove the connector without removing the whole piece. The connector requires the release of a safety tab, which is blocked by the column. To remove this, remove 4 silver 7mm bolts at the corners (seen above). Then it slides off and the connectors are easily removed. Set the electronics hub aside until reassembly.

9) Move to the passenger footwell and disassemble the upper and side kick trim. Two 10mm nuts hold the top trim in place, and as you remove it carefully disconnect two harnesses, 1 for the 12v socket and 1 for the footwell lamp. To remove the kick panel, pull the door weatherstrip out around it, pull up on the front clip of the door edge runner, and pop the trim piece out by it's 3 pop clips. It's hard to describe but easy to do. Look at the picture below to see the backside and where the 3 pop clips are, and the edge facing the rear to see how it shares 1 clip with the door edge runner.

10) Now is a good time to fish the 1 wire needed to the steering wheel. Believe it or not, only 1 new wire is going to run to the steering wheel. The rest of the wiring will be done in the footwell. I find it easy to chase wires with a bent coat hanger. Start in the driver's side opening where we've opened up the steering wheel trim, and gently fish the wire down toward the passenger footwell. This is a bit of a "fishing trip" but you'll manage it. Don't push too hard, just keep re-directing it until you feel it hit soft plastic. Done right, you will easily find the passenger side trim. From the passenger footwell again, feel under the center console trim and pull the wire into the footwell. Tape up the white/blue wire lead and pull it back to the steering column. You will add this pin to the currently empty slot #4 of the second harness (plug A83*2B) according to the BMW instructions.

11) Red & Blue twisted pair harness. Back in the passenger footwell, locate the FEM body module. It is on the kick panel, under a gray plastic cover. Remove the cover with 1 T-20 screw and two push-in hinges on the side. Then, remove the first harness plug, which directions confusingly refer to as connector 2 (CON 2). Disassemble the plug and get to pins 18 (red) and 19 (blue/red). You will be removing them from the harness (depress exposed metal tab with a pick while pulling out), and putting them into the new supplied connector to create a plug-and-play "T" connection with the new harness. Sound confusing? It's easily done with the harness in hand, no worries. Also, don't worry if my connector looks different than yours, I mentioned mine was secondhand so I used a spare connector I have that fits, not the original one. Yours connector is likely black not blue. I recommend you do these two pins (18 & 19) one at a time so you don't have any chance of making the mistake of which color goes where. In case you do... 18 is red and 19 is blue/red.

12) Green/Brown harness. First, the green wire. This is the one "open ended" wire supplied that you are required to attach with a wire tap. For this wire, remove the second wiring connector on the FEM (called connector 3 or CON3 in the instructions) and locate pin 19. The instructions say it will be blue/red, but on my car it was red/blue. Either way, use pin 19. Unwind some of the loom tape to expose enough of the straightened wire to get a good tap on it.

For the brown wire (this is a GROUND wire), the BMW instructions say, not very helpfully, to "bend up the footwell trim" and locate one of two chassis ground connectors. I looked around but I never found what was referred to, and I didn't like the idea of just bending trim panels for fun, so I decided to take the easy route out and wire tapped it to the ground for the footwell light. It's just a small voltage ground wire, no big deal. This is way easier than whatever they heck they tell you to do with this wire, and works just fine.

DONE WITH WIRING!

13) Begin the cleanup and reassembly! Still have one huge wire loom coming off the control box? Don't worry, it's not used. Zip tie it in a nice tight loom and make an easy to hide bundle out of the control box and wires. They don't specify where to hide this thing, so I just let it rest on top of the re-installed passenger footwell trim. Begin by putting back the cover on the FEM body module, then the passenger kick trim cover, then get all your wires tidy and put it on top of the passenger kick cover as you slide it back in to place. Reassembly is the opposite of removal.

14) Next, back to the drivers seat to re-install the steering electronics hub, with the harness you added the new wire to. Both wiring harnesses, 4 7mm bolts, and then re-attach trim carefully. Don't forget to reconnect the two small harnesses on the lower trim!

15) If you've made it this far, it's all easy from here. Reinstall all of the pieces you removed from your original wheel into the new M Performance Electronic Steering Wheel. Multi-function buttons, rear trim, and shift paddles go first. Don't install the new carbon fiber finisher quite yet!

Next, put the wheel on the hub and re-install the 16mm center hub bolt.

CAREFULLY reconnect all of the in-wheel harnesses/wires, the control module, and tuck the wires out of the way. There are more wires in this setup than in your original so it can be hard to get them all out of the way, but you'll need to in order to get the airbag on. This picture below shows it re-assembled, but I did have to push those wires further back in order to get the airbag on, this wasn't quite good enough!

16) Finish by installing your new, gorgeous, carbon fiber M performance finisher. Two T-20 screws inside and the smaller black one at the bottom, installed from the back. Plug the airbag back in and install it by pressing the retention pins in past the clips in their holes. Go reconnect the battery and fire it up!

There is no software coding required to complete this install. You are now ready to use your M Performance Electronic Steering Wheel! Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW_M_Performance_Steering_Wheel_II_Race_Display.pdf (1.31 MB, 19511 views)
M-Attack288.00
Nito31045.50
xeon3258.50
Dr. Who302.50
Dav3946.50
ryem31041.00
gatsojon498.00
FR00ZN24.50
drgmt984.50
qmp122.00
AnthonyR232.00
Rxpert186.50
      12-10-2015, 03:10 PM   #2
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep

Reserved for Wheel Function Overview
      12-10-2015, 05:57 PM   #3
specracer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS HS 6MT M8 Comp

Well done, I did the same thing on my past E90. Interesting the differences. Does the wheel come on automatically? Or do you still have to turn it on with every key cycle? I found I wound up hardly ever turning it on. would have had much more enjoyment out of if it, if it just turned on automatically.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 06:10 PM   #4
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep

At car startup, the wheel does a small sequence to let you know it is available, but it's functionality doesn't turn on automatically. You press both buttons for about 1 second to turn it on, and then all functionality and shift lights are available. You can tell the display to shutoff after a few minutes in the settings, and then the lights still work.

I think it's a nice feature actually. Makes the car less busy if you just want to do some tame/city driving, but it's available when you're ready to rev it up.

Another member asked me if the wheel is any thicker than the original leather wheel. I thought it was by feel, but I measured with a caliper and surprisingly it is not! It is the exact same thickness, both width and depth.
      12-14-2015, 08:04 AM   #5
firedown31
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 AW M3

Wow, awesome write up!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 04:03 PM   #6
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

Thanks a lot for the write up. I've been sitting on this wheel (not literally) for about a year. I studied the BMW literature as if my life depended on it. I was ready to tackle the job but realized I didn't have enough time (two very young children). This write-up will certainly help. Thank you again
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 04:08 PM   #7
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep

In regards to the ground wire bank(s) that you weren't able to locate... I did find what the bmw instructions were referring to. They're not behind a panel, they behind the forward-most carpeting in the passenger area. I have to grasp the carpeting at the very top and pull it back and down.

Ultimately I don't think it matters much as IIRC BMW's own instructions say to tap an existing ground wire if there aren't any free slots in the bank(s)
Appreciate 2
      02-08-2016, 06:33 PM   #8
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
The BMW instructions call for removing the wheel vibration mechanism at this point.
As you moved the vibration module, your M Performance steering wheel will also vibrate when the 'Lane Departure Warning' of the 'Driving Assistant' is active (option code 5AS).

However, does your M Performance steering wheel also warm up when the steering wheel heating is active (option code 248) ? I notice that your car features that option too, so curious to know whether that feature is lost or not with the replacement. I guess it's lost (but won't be particularly missed).

Name:  F80_SteeringWheel.jpg
Views: 50700
Size:  52.3 KB
Name:  HeatedSteeringWheel.jpg
Views: 50412
Size:  11.5 KB
      02-08-2016, 07:27 PM   #9
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep

There is no heating element in the M performance wheel. The original connector for the heating is simply tucked into an empty area on the new wheel.

In this picture of the installed M performance wheel you can see the white connector tucked into the empty rubber mount on the lower right wheel spoke.

02-08-2016, 09:20 PM   #10
schnazzy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMBSSM4

No wonder my dealer wanted 1.5 hours to install it.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 09:56 PM   #11
MSportTune2
First Lieutenant
Aland Islands
Rep
Drives: F30 MSport

My installer here is very experience and needed less than 1 hr to install mine.
I had this primarily to read oil and coolant temp so far as they as stack on top of each other in the display.

Loved the look and feel of the steering.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 10:48 PM   #12
whatheheck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Ferrari 360, 2015 SO M4

Excellent job. Thanks for the great DIY write up.

Dan
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 12:04 PM   #13
rkr1214
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Black Comp F82

Great Job.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 01:29 AM   #14
dwtbgc
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M235i Auto

Thanks a lot for this writeup.
I've done the same install on my m235i this week-end, and your notes were *VERY* helpful ! It saved me a lot of headaches and time.
Have a beer on me !
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 06:36 AM   #15
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep

^^^same here^^^

Only I did my install about a month ago.

I am seeing an issue where the wheel isn't seeing engine RPMs intermittently (about 10% of engine starts), so the shift lights aren't working. I brought it in to have a dealer look at it but they weren't able to diagnose it. (They thought they fixed it, but they didn't.) I've read of one other member having seen this issue on his wheel (once). Anybody else?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 03:22 PM   #16
teefive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 40i

Maybe an amateur question, but how do you ensure the wheel is installed straight? Great DIY btw
      05-03-2016, 08:54 AM   #17
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teefive View Post
Maybe an amateur question, but how do you ensure the wheel is installed straight? Great DIY btw
The steering column's mounting post is keyed at 12o'clock and so is the wheel. this makes it impossible to not install it straight. Idiot proof
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 09:22 PM   #18
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_ducky View Post
I am seeing an issue where the wheel isn't seeing engine RPMs intermittently (about 10% of engine starts), so the shift lights aren't working. I brought it in to have a dealer look at it but they weren't able to diagnose it. (They thought they fixed it, but they didn't.) I've read of one other member having seen this issue on his wheel (once). Anybody else?
Just wanted you to know I've had the issue too. Not on 10% of starts, maybe on 1-2% of starts, but certainly it's there. Maybe about once a month I notice it?

At first I thought it was a CAN traffic/conflict issue, as I've run both a P3 gauge and a JB4 with the car, but I took them both out for a while just to see and the issue cropped up again. I just think the electronics on it aren't 100%. If I had to guess, I'd point to the small harness PCB in the passenger footwell. That's not the best design/packaging nor what I'd expect for an OEM BMW accessory. But hey, that's how this thing comes from the factory, so I guess we have to settle for it working 95 - 99% of the time.
      05-08-2016, 06:30 AM   #19
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Just wanted you to know I've had the issue too. Not on 10% of starts, maybe on 1-2% of starts, but certainly it's there. Maybe about once a month I notice it?

At first I thought it was a CAN traffic/conflict issue, as I've run both a P3 gauge and a JB4 with the car, but I took them both out for a while just to see and the issue cropped up again. I just think the electronics on it aren't 100%. If I had to guess, I'd point to the small harness PCB in the passenger footwell. That's not the best design/packaging nor what I'd expect for an OEM BMW accessory. But hey, that's how this thing comes from the factory, so I guess we have to settle for it working 95 - 99% of the time.
this is good to know. since the power-up issue on my wheel has been addressed, i see this a whole lot less frequently than i used to. too few starts to say its 1%, but maybe 5% currently and ticking down.

thanks for chiming in
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 06:53 AM   #20
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_ducky View Post
since the power-up issue on my wheel has been addressed...
What was this issue? How was it addressed?
      05-09-2016, 11:40 AM   #21
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
What was this issue? How was it addressed?
I wish I knew. The only thing that the service advisor told me was that the tech "cleaned up the wiring harness". I asked what specifically that meant but he didn't know. I didn't press him to ask the tech as he wasn't charging me for the work done.

That said, I left the dealership with the wheel powered on and the Shift lights working. I was convinced that it was fixed. On the very next start, the shift lights weren't working (0 RPM). I was going to lob a call into them on the following business day (Monday), but they've worked every start since then.

The wheel not powering on only happened twice prior to the dealer visit so it was an uncommon occurrence to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 11:25 AM   #22
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Very helpful diy! Thanks for posting and taking the time to do a great job. A couple things I noted were the ground combs under the carpet in the passenger footwell, but these were both completely full. I tapped the ground into one of the wires in the comb on the right since they were of equal sizes and out of the way. Also those that are having power up issues, you may try soldering the power supply and ground wires instead of using the provided scotch locks. Perhaps that would give a better connection and eliminate or reduce the issue.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0