BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

07-12-2023, 11:16 PM   #1
Zoomz_7
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.75]
I plan on tackling disassembly of the Brembo calipers in order to prep them for powder coating. Now the only issue is I知 not sure of the torque specs. On similar Brembos (evo and sti) forums claim 80ft/lbs, 33ft/lbs, and 125ft/lbs. What would the torque be for our bolts that hold the two halves? When it comes to something like this, last thing I want is a leaking caliper or snapped bolts.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 02:58 PM   #2
ErikB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F36 440ix

not sure if you ever found your answer, but keep in mind that these are probably M8 or M10 e-torx bolts threading into aluminum. I searched around too and I see numbers that vary based on the length & diameter of the bolts, thread depth, as well and if the caliper has o-ring seals or just two flat face mating. take these as reference, not the actual number but should ballpark you.
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ml#post2334852

https://forums.nicoclub.com/caliper-....html#p6820488

just remember, the 70ft lbs some guys state seems pretty high. No way its going to be over 100.

I would scribe a bolt had to the body, a clocking mark. Loosen one and then use a torque wrench to move it back, might take a few tries but see if you can zero in on the setting. Start at 25ftlbs, if the wrench clicks/beeps before you clock back to the right position, then you exceeded, if not, raise it in 5lb increments. Hopefully that makes sense. I didnt see any exact calipers being discussed and since it varies based on several factors, just try and find it slowly.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 03:22 PM   #3
Zoomz_7
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikB View Post
not sure if you ever found your answer, but keep in mind that these are probably M8 or M10 e-torx bolts threading into aluminum. I searched around too and I see numbers that vary based on the length & diameter of the bolts, thread depth, as well and if the caliper has o-ring seals or just two flat face mating. take these as reference, not the actual number but should ballpark you.
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ml#post2334852

https://forums.nicoclub.com/caliper-....html#p6820488

just remember, the 70ft lbs some guys state seems pretty high. No way its going to be over 100.

I would scribe a bolt had to the body, a clocking mark. Loosen one and then use a torque wrench to move it back, might take a few tries but see if you can zero in on the setting. Start at 25ftlbs, if the wrench clicks/beeps before you clock back to the right position, then you exceeded, if not, raise it in 5lb increments. Hopefully that makes sense. I didnt see any exact calipers being discussed and since it varies based on several factors, just try and find it slowly.
Makes sense. I should of tried that before splitting them. I ended up doing 55 ft/lbs front and 30 ft/lbs rear. Most popular torque on similar STI and Evo Brembos. Hopefully they don稚 leak I want to try out these new stainless steel pistons.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2023, 12:22 AM   #4
bimmerlyfe
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

I知 getting my brake calipers powder coated and I知 trying to find the same information. I already split my calipers or else that advice would have been a pretty good idea.

Can someone provide an update if they know the factory torque specs? Or Zoomz can you tell us how your brakes are holding up with the 55/30 torques you used?

Did you use any thread locker? I知 thinking I probably will.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2023, 01:10 AM   #5
Zoomz_7
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerlyfe View Post
I知 getting my brake calipers powder coated and I知 trying to find the same information. I already split my calipers or else that advice would have been a pretty good idea.

Can someone provide an update if they know the factory torque specs? Or Zoomz can you tell us how your brakes are holding up with the 55/30 torques you used?

Did you use any thread locker? I知 thinking I probably will.
The calipers are holding up great with no leaks. I used red threadlocker. Although I snapped my rear brake hard lines during the DIY (seized nuts on the hard lines) and they got replaced by a shop. I asked them to double check my torque on the caliper halves and they reported saying the calipers are fine. When I asked what they checked them to, they could not tell me. All Data and BMW show the calipers are not serviceable. The shop had a contact at Brembo who apparently had those specs.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 06:48 PM   #6
uncle ben
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Do you happen to have the old pistons laying around? I知 interested in getting measurements.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 07:08 PM   #7
Zoomz_7
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle ben View Post
Do you happen to have the old pistons laying around? I知 interested in getting measurements.
According to RB Performance:
(I bought the stainless steel pistons from here)
Front 40x32.5
Rear 44x32.5

Oem pistons don稚 have any markings if I recall correctly.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 07:30 PM   #8
uncle ben
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

I was curious about the location of the brake seal cutout, and position on the piston.
Appreciate 0