Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

04-01-2024, 03:32 PM   #1
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Another Two-Piece Brake Rotor Option - OEM CCB and Blue Iron

FYI, there’s this company Triton Motorsports that offers CCB 400x38 & 380x28 replacement rotors for BMW CCB brake setup (~$10k for four rotors + pads) AND CCB 380x30 & 370x24 replacement rotors for BMW Blue brake setup (~$10k for four rotors + pads). They state their CCB rotors are far superior to BMW CCB rotors because they use long chopped fibers compared to BMW’s use of small chopped fibers. Also, their rotors can be serviced three times before needing to be replaced vs. BMW CCB rotors which they state cannot be serviced. They offer CCB brake pads but it’s not clear if they are street or track pads.

They also offer CCB to iron conversion setups for the f8x with CCBs as well as two-piece direct iron replacement rotors for the f8x Blue calipers. This is an additional option for CCB to iron rotor conversion and two-piece rotors for Blue calipers. I have no idea about the performance and quality of their rotors.

I’ve asked them if they’re aware of Rebrake that can apply a new friction layer (the cracked surface you see on CCB rotors) to BMW CCBs. Also, I asked them if their CCB rotors have mass (resin) loss with heat cycling. They haven’t answered my questions.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 03:53 PM   #2
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Very interesting. Given that Rebrake literally is refurbishing them and has been for some time, I wonder where they get their feedback from.

10k for the CCB rotors, all 4 corners? That isn't a bad price!

paging rhyary
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 04:17 PM   #3
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Very interesting. Given that Rebrake literally is refurbishing them and has been for some time, I wonder where they get their feedback from.

paging rhyary
Yep - $10k (actual price is $9598) gets you four rotors and two sets of pads.

https://www.tritonmotorsportsusa.com...ic-brake-discs

The Iron rotors are ~$2100 for a set of four rotors without pads. The price is the same for the CCB to iron conversion and the Blue direct rotor replacement.

https://www.tritonmotorsportsusa.com...ng-brake-discs

Last edited by M3SQRD; 04-01-2024 at 04:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 04:38 PM   #4
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
Yep - $10k (actual price is $9598) gets you four rotors and two sets of pads.

https://www.tritonmotorsportsusa.com...ic-brake-discs

The Iron rotors are ~$2100 for a set of four rotors without pads. The price is the same for the CCB to iron conversion and the Blue direct rotor replacement.

https://www.tritonmotorsportsusa.com...ng-brake-discs
It's odd, I thought there was basically one manufacturer of CCB rotors, and that was SGL-Brembo.

They seem to claim to make their own?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 05:01 PM   #5
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
It's odd, I thought there was basically one manufacturer of CCB rotors, and that was SGL-Brembo.

They seem to claim to make their own?
Same here. They’ve made it clear they’re the manufacturer of the CCB/CCM rotors in the little communication that I’ve had with them. Their lead times are 45+ days so they’re built to order.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 05:20 PM   #6
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:

paging rhyary
I will be staying out this topic.
I would love to hear feedback from someone that succesfully ordered a Trinton disks and actually received them.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 05:47 PM   #7
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyary View Post
I will be staying out this topic.
I would love to hear feedback from someone that succesfully ordered a Trinton disks and actually received them.
Sounds like someone is keeping the juicy bits to themselves

Reading between the lines…he’s aware of the company, good luck with placing an order for a CCB rotor, and don’t hold your breath while waiting for your CCB rotor to arrive.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 05:57 PM   #8
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like someone is keeping the juicy bits to themselves

Reading between the lines…he’s aware of the company, good luck with placing an order for a CCB rotor, and don’t hold your breath while waiting for your CCB rotor to arrive.
>>They state their CCB rotors are far superior to BMW CCB rotors because they use long chopped fibers compared to BMW’s use of small chopped fibers….

Seriously?
BMW uses CCB disk made by Brembo SGL which has silicon carbide friction layer.

SiC chuckle when the kids talk about long and short fiber.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 07:37 PM   #9
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
>>They state their CCB rotors are far superior to BMW CCB rotors because they use long chopped fibers compared to BMW’s use of small chopped fibers….

Seriously?
BMW uses CCB disk made by Brembo SGL which has silicon carbide friction layer.

SiC chuckle when the kids talk about long and short fiber.
I found them online and I know absolutely nothing about them or their products. However, it’s another option on the market for CCB and iron rotors, good or bad, so I passed it along.

Yes, that statement was based on information from their website:
“With their innovative 3D bonding of long carbon fibers” and “Comparing our CCBs to factory CCBs that use chopped fibers.”
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 09:52 PM   #10
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 - 6MT

Once GT3 cup cars start using CCBs, then it will be a signal for track rats that it is viable solution.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 03:41 PM   #11
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I found them online and I know absolutely nothing about them or their products. However, it’s another option on the market for CCB and iron rotors, good or bad, so I passed it along.

Yes, that statement was based on information from their website:
“With their innovative 3D bonding of long carbon fibers” and “Comparing our CCBs to factory CCBs that use chopped fibers.”
Agreed.
More options is a good thing.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 04:10 PM   #12
Track/S
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C, M4 GTS

Interesting, I would like to see them in action, I don't know the advantage of long fibers over chopped ones, but I don't think it has any importance since any form of fiber will end up burned with the heat, and I also see that they do not have a silicon carbide layer, also would like to see the wear after changing the pads twice.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11462.00
      04-07-2024, 04:56 PM   #13
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track/S View Post
Interesting, I would like to see them in action, I don't know the advantage of long fibers over chopped ones, but I don't think it has any importance since any form of fiber will end up burned with the heat, and I also see that they do not have a silicon carbide layer, also would like to see the wear after changing the pads twice.
Long fiber is a better core for Rebrake Friction Layer (RFL) which is silicon carbide based.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 05:18 PM   #14
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Long fiber is a better core for Rebrake Friction Layer (RFL) which is silicon carbide based.
Their website is not user friendly! You have to dig into specific applications to find a more useful description (still more marketing, not technical details) of their rotors compared to oem ccb rotors. From their McLaren application:

Introducing Triton's Carbon Ceramic Brake Discs for McLaren – a groundbreaking enhancement designed to outperform OE standards. Elevate your McLaren's braking system with our meticulously crafted brake discs, utilizing long fiber continuous 3D bonding technology, a revolutionary departure from the chopped carbon fiber found in OE discs.

Key Advantages:
Precision Performance: Triton's Carbon Ceramic Brake Discs redefine precision on the road. The long fiber continuous 3D bonding ensures a consistent and responsive braking experience, setting a new standard for performance. Whether navigating tight turns or accelerating on open stretches, experience unparalleled braking excellence.

Extended Durability: Triton's innovative manufacturing approach results in brake discs with exceptional durability. The long fiber continuous 3D bonding not only enhances strength but also minimizes wear and tear, significantly extending the lifespan of the discs compared to traditional OE counterparts. Drive with confidence, knowing Triton delivers enduring performance.
Optimized Heat Management: Our discs excel in managing heat under high-performance conditions. The long fiber continuous 3D bonding technology enhances thermal stability, reducing the risk of brake fade and ensuring consistent performance even during intense driving. Triton's brake discs are engineered to withstand extreme temperatures, guaranteeing reliable braking efficiency.

Agile Dynamics with Reduced Weight: Triton's commitment to excellence extends to the overall driving experience. Through the use of advanced materials, our brake discs are not only robust but also lightweight compared to OE alternatives. This reduction in weight contributes to improved handling and agility, enhancing your McLaren's overall driving dynamics.

Upgrade your McLaren's braking system with Triton's Carbon Ceramic Brake Discs – where groundbreaking technology, precision performance, and extended durability converge to redefine your driving experience. Embrace a new era of braking excellence with Triton
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 12:54 AM   #15
Track/S
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C, M4 GTS

Quote:
Their website is not user friendly! You have to dig into specific applications to find a more useful description (still more marketing, not technical details) of their rotors compared to oem ccb rotors. From their McLaren application:

I would like to try them
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 05:51 AM   #16
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I would like to try them
Based on the price, even if they actually achieve 1/2 of what they claim, they’d still be a game changer. At roughly $5k per axle with pads, with increased track longevity, 3x re-servicing, etc., is getting close to a price point that makes ccb/ccm competitive with track-capable iron brake setups.

So they stack pre-cured continuous carbon fiber sheets which are then stacked and further processed to form the rotor. This makes them orthotropic (different strength/stiffness in different directions) compared to ccb with chopped fibers which is isotropic (same strength/stiffness in all directions).

Last edited by M3SQRD; 04-08-2024 at 05:56 AM..
Appreciate 1
Track/S1336.50
      Yesterday, 08:04 AM   #17
irunalot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera S

Surface Transforms also makes track capable CCB but I don't think they have a BMW disk just yet

https://www.surfacetransforms.com/product-finder/
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:15 AM   #18
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by irunalot View Post
Surface Transforms also makes track capable CCB but I don't think they have a BMW disk just yet
Yes, I’ve heard of ST. I wonder if they plan on making BMW M CCB replacement rotors? Increased competition would drive prices down at some point but then again how big is the BMW CCB replacement market?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:30 AM   #19
irunalot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera S

Quote:
Yes, I’ve heard of ST. I wonder if they plan on making BMW M CCB replacement rotors? Increased competition would drive prices down at some point but then again how big is the BMW CCB replacement market?
They probably will at some point hopefully. There needs to be more competition in the market and a better product than the Brembos for track use. I loved the CCBs on my F80 and the STs are 100% track capable but for dedicated track work iron is still has the best pad options.

One other aspect is the rotor size as CCBs need to be larger to make up for the thermal mass of the iron rotors which limits wheel fitment. Of course, you can make them wider but then you need calipers to accommodate the width. CCBs do have better thermal efficiency but not enough to be the exact same size as an iron rotor.

Hopefully this changes soon as the weight savings is substantial! I love carbon rotors and almost bought some for the 911 but 15k and limited pads stopped me. There is a guy that I see at the track with an insanely fast GT3 that runs STs with zero issues. So we are getting close!
Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:53 AM   #20
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by irunalot View Post
They probably will at some point hopefully. There needs to be more competition in the market and a better product than the Brembos for track use. I loved the CCBs on my F80 and the STs are 100% track capable but for dedicated track work iron is still has the best pad options.

One other aspect is the rotor size as CCBs need to be larger to make up for the thermal mass of the iron rotors which limits wheel fitment. Of course, you can make them wider but then you need calipers to accommodate the width. CCBs do have better thermal efficiency but not enough to be the exact same size as an iron rotor.

Hopefully this changes soon as the weight savings is substantial! I love carbon rotors and almost bought some for the 911 but 15k and limited pads stopped me. There is a guy that I see at the track with an insanely fast GT3 that runs STs with zero issues. So we are getting close!
Agreed. CCB track pads are extremely limited!

Yes. CCB rotor size offsets some of the weight savings because you have to step up in wheel diameter which also limits track tire options. Correct. Even increasing rotor thickness come with a weight penalty because you now need a larger/wider caliper with similar stiffness to a smaller caliper.

There’s a guy in this tread that runs the Brembo CCM brake kit on his SC e92 M3 which is pretty much a dedicated track car and he’s had no issues with them. At some point there’ll be a crossover in performance vs. cost but it’s difficult to say when it’ll happen.
Appreciate 0