Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-11-2019, 11:13 AM   #1
nik1289
Rep
Drives: nil at present

Does the LCI M4 have the same dampers and software set up as the Competition model?

Hi all

I could get a LCI M4 2017 or spend a bit more and get a competition pack. I've read that the LCI M4 has the same dampers and software set up as the competition pack so should handle just as well (despite the media coverage saying that the CP handles better).

https://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/threa...covery.144576/

I actually prefer the wheels and spec of the LCI M4 non-cp so would rather get that although I don't want a car which is potentially unstable if I floor it in the wet. Any thoughts most appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 12:01 PM   #2
cionide
Second Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP

Part of the competition pack - at least here - is the adjustable suspension. With the CP, it's an option you can take separately. If the car has that option, then it's the same thing as on the CP.
      01-11-2019, 02:34 PM   #3
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
According to ETK, the non-CP and CP have different dampers, different springs, different sway-bars. According to the coding gurus, they also have different EDC calibration, which makes sense, given the different spring rates.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 09:48 AM   #4
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik1289 View Post
Hi all

I could get a LCI M4 2017 or spend a bit more and get a competition pack. I've read that the LCI M4 has the same dampers and software set up as the competition pack so should handle just as well (despite the media coverage saying that the CP handles better).

I actually prefer the wheels and spec of the LCI M4 non-cp so would rather get that although I don't want a car which is potentially unstable if I floor it in the wet. Any thoughts most appreciated.
Highly implausible since, as Can mentions above, the CP is a tuned suspension "package".

Whether or not the differences are tangible in the real world is a different discussion. That said, from my limited seat time in a non-CP car, I would say there is a significant difference... CP is more aggressive/hard-edged... not that that is necessarily 'better' in the real world - just that they feel quite a bit different.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 03:55 AM   #5
Racer20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 228i THP, E46 ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nik1289 View Post
Hi all

Highly implausible since, as Can mentions above, the CP is a tuned suspension "package".

Whether or not the differences are tangible in the real world is a different discussion. That said, from my limited seat time in a non-CP car, I would say there is a significant difference... CP is more aggressive/hard-edged... not that that is necessarily 'better' in the real world - just that they feel quite a bit different.
There is a tangible difference between normal, CP, and CS suspension setups. CS is the best for ride and handling, hands down. I've had all three on my M3.