Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

03-11-2024, 07:25 PM   #1
TPNml
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '15 F83

Sell for G8x or no?

Hi, I want some advice on soul-searching and financial concerns with driving and owning my F83.

My situation is currently:
  • I own a 2015 F83 DCT with a little more than 50k miles. The car has been driven hard in the past 2 years I've owned it. I've done trackdays/autoX with it every year, driven it through snow, driven hard on backroads, went through stop-and-go traffic journeys for less than 10 minutes apiece, you name it. If there's an abusive condition for a car, my F83 has probably seen it.
  • The car has a considerable number of mods. The car has been on Bootmod3 OTS engine and xHP DCT tunes almost the entire time I've had it. (Likely) as a result of the xHP tune, it spun its crank hub a year and a half ago, which was replaced with a 4-pin SSR hub. Valves contacted pistons very briefly; none were replaced but one cylinder consistently is always -3 deg timing during pulls as a result. The car also has track pads, Vorshlag camber plates, ECS poly diff mounts (which whine, by the way), (as of recently) ARM downpipes, and more.
  • The car is about to go to the shop for (likely) its flywheel to be replaced (also as a result of the xHP tune).

At this point I'm kinda scared of the things that can/will fail in the future on the car given the way I've driven it. Immediately off the bat, several interior trim pieces are peeling, the oil cooler (and other radiators) don't work as well as factory on performance driving, and the suspension components are starting to wear out. Down the road, I wouldn't be surprised if I got a turbo or charge cooler failure, or even something more major such as an entire DCT failure (given the grinding noises I've been hearing lately).

Today I went to the BMW dealer and did some math, and given the amount of repairs I'm expecting to do over the next few years, I can't help but think that a (stripper spec) G87 M2 would be a "better" financial decision. Yes, it costs more, but not that much more by my math (on the order of $10k more over 3-5 years), and it will spend way less time in the shop AFAICT. Plus, given that I don't tune it like the F83, if any major components fails, it will be covered by the warranty. In addition, I haven't driven one, but it seems like the G87 will be a much better car technologically and comfort-wise (with fresh bushings/dampers/everything + new tech), even compared to my F83 before I modified it. Buying a G80/G82/G83 is out of budget so don't ask for it.

What do you guys think is the correct move here? Drive F83 until a major repair is needed? Sell now and buy a G87? Buy something else entirely? Stop hemorrhaging money? Open to all ears here.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 07:40 PM   #2
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Having a car under warranty is a luxury. If you don't work on your car yourself, it's pretty expensive to keep it for a long time
Appreciate 3
Hotflare188.50
Sephrr287.00
      03-12-2024, 04:19 PM   #3
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPNml View Post
Hi, I want some advice on soul-searching and financial concerns with driving and owning my F83.

My situation is currently:
  • I own a 2015 F83 DCT with a little more than 50k miles. The car has been driven hard in the past 2 years I've owned it. I've done trackdays/autoX with it every year, driven it through snow, driven hard on backroads, went through stop-and-go traffic journeys for less than 10 minutes apiece, you name it. If there's an abusive condition for a car, my F83 has probably seen it.
  • The car has a considerable number of mods. The car has been on Bootmod3 OTS engine and xHP DCT tunes almost the entire time I've had it. (Likely) as a result of the xHP tune, it spun its crank hub a year and a half ago, which was replaced with a 4-pin SSR hub. Valves contacted pistons very briefly; none were replaced but one cylinder consistently is always -3 deg timing during pulls as a result. The car also has track pads, Vorshlag camber plates, ECS poly diff mounts (which whine, by the way), (as of recently) ARM downpipes, and more.
  • The car is about to go to the shop for (likely) its flywheel to be replaced (also as a result of the xHP tune).

At this point I'm kinda scared of the things that can/will fail in the future on the car given the way I've driven it. Immediately off the bat, several interior trim pieces are peeling, the oil cooler (and other radiators) don't work as well as factory on performance driving, and the suspension components are starting to wear out. Down the road, I wouldn't be surprised if I got a turbo or charge cooler failure, or even something more major such as an entire DCT failure (given the grinding noises I've been hearing lately).

Today I went to the BMW dealer and did some math, and given the amount of repairs I'm expecting to do over the next few years, I can't help but think that a (stripper spec) G87 M2 would be a "better" financial decision. Yes, it costs more, but not that much more by my math (on the order of $10k more over 3-5 years), and it will spend way less time in the shop AFAICT. Plus, given that I don't tune it like the F83, if any major components fails, it will be covered by the warranty. In addition, I haven't driven one, but it seems like the G87 will be a much better car technologically and comfort-wise (with fresh bushings/dampers/everything + new tech), even compared to my F83 before I modified it. Buying a G80/G82/G83 is out of budget so don't ask for it.

What do you guys think is the correct move here? Drive F83 until a major repair is needed? Sell now and buy a G87? Buy something else entirely? Stop hemorrhaging money? Open to all ears here.
Why not take the car to an Indy shop and replace the components from FCP Euro with their lifetime replacement on parts? 50K Miles isn't a lot of miles. I'm at 49k something almost 50K on my 2019.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 04:27 PM   #4
NSX2M4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP- RIVIAN R1S QUAD

If it's your daily, yes.
If it's your weekend or sunny day car, no.
Sephrr287.00
      03-12-2024, 11:25 PM   #5
TPNml
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
Why not take the car to an Indy shop and replace the components from FCP Euro with their lifetime replacement on parts? 50K Miles isn't a lot of miles. I'm at 49k something almost 50K on my 2019.
I can't fix most larger issues myself due to time and workspace constraints, so I'd still have to pay labor on any replacements, which is many thousands of dollars based on what I assume will break/need replacement in the next 3 years (radiators, bushings, the charge cooler, etc.)

Also, I don't expect I will see 2 replacements of most of the above components before I get some major component failure like an entire engine, transmission, or convertible top which requires me to retire the chassis.

Last edited by TPNml; 03-12-2024 at 11:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 11:29 PM   #6
TPNml
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX2M4 View Post
If it's your daily, yes.
If it's your weekend or sunny day car, no.
My car is my daily technically, but I could go completely without a car for decent stretches of time. My car basically alternates equally between puttering around 5 minutes at a time without warming up (no, I don't have time to warm it up), long road trips, weekend drives and track days, and (ironically) driving it to and from my preferred shop in Chicago (I'm in Indiana).

As such, my tolerance for stiff/noisy/shaky cars is higher, but I still have limits!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 12:57 PM   #7
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPNml View Post
I can't fix most larger issues myself due to time and workspace constraints, so I'd still have to pay labor on any replacements, which is many thousands of dollars based on what I assume will break/need replacement in the next 3 years (radiators, bushings, the charge cooler, etc.)

Also, I don't expect I will see 2 replacements of most of the above components before I get some major component failure like an entire engine, transmission, or convertible top which requires me to retire the chassis.
Sounds like you need a car with a warranty. Leasing might also be an option for you since you don’t drive a lot of miles and if you don’t like repairs on a car, then with leasing you’ll always have a car under warranty.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 01:48 PM   #8
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Sounds like you need a car with a warranty. Leasing might also be an option for you since you don’t drive a lot of miles and if you don’t like repairs on a car, then with leasing you’ll always have a car under warranty.
Unless of course you also like modding the car. Then the delta between mod headaches and warranty comes into play.

OP - if you're worried about the headaches that the mods are causing then ultimately thats on you for thinking they came without the added risk and wear. If running costs are a bigger concern flash it back to stock or a more modest stage 1 tune and call it a day. The Fxx platform itself is still rather stout and in reality the price you'll pay to get into a new car likely will cover plenty of repairs and out of pocket expenses.

If you're trying to factor long term ownership into the equation just based on maintenance don't forget:
-Higher insurance costs on the new car
-Higher finance rates if you need to take a note out
-Depreciation of the new vehicle compared to yours.

In almost every circumstance I can guarantee it's cheaper to run your car as is, but if you want a new car and are trying to do spreadsheet math to convince you it's a good idea then I won't stop you, we've all been there.
      03-13-2024, 02:43 PM   #9
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
if you cannot/do not DIY, it's quite expense to own a car out of warranty.

Many/most mechanics will refuse to accept your parts.
Even if they did accept them, FCP warranty is far from what it was. Now you pay 1600 for brakes, use them, when it's time to replace them you need to buy another set for 1600 and you get a 1600 store credit. So then, when you order your third set of rotors, at 150k miles, you get those 'free'.
It's pretty close to a scam. No wonder ECS now offers the same 'store credit' scheme, because it costs almost nothing.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 03:54 PM   #10
WhiteFox
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

Keep the car it’s been your pride and joy and lots of memories made. Big deal if a few more items to replace as you would have to do the same plus more tuning mods on the M2.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 10:45 PM   #11
Drifter2090
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 | E92 335i | E90 335d

Just for the reason that the valves made contact with the pistons I would probably move to another car. Have you considered another f8x? Maybe try a F82 or f80 to change things up.
SS2-FR E90 M3 6MT / IND / AFE / ActiveAutowerke - SOLD
AW-FR E90 M3 DCT / ACM / IND / AutoTecknic / K&N / H&R / Bilstein - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 11:48 PM   #12
TPNml
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
Unless of course you also like modding the car. Then the delta between mod headaches and warranty comes into play.

OP - if you're worried about the headaches that the mods are causing then ultimately thats on you for thinking they came without the added risk and wear. If running costs are a bigger concern flash it back to stock or a more modest stage 1 tune and call it a day. The Fxx platform itself is still rather stout and in reality the price you'll pay to get into a new car likely will cover plenty of repairs and out of pocket expenses.

If you're trying to factor long term ownership into the equation just based on maintenance don't forget:
-Higher insurance costs on the new car
-Higher finance rates if you need to take a note out
-Depreciation of the new vehicle compared to yours.

In almost every circumstance I can guarantee it's cheaper to run your car as is, but if you want a new car and are trying to do spreadsheet math to convince you it's a good idea then I won't stop you, we've all been there.
I forgot about doing insurance math on the new car, but I already included my best guess as to depreciation math. I have to check the actual numbers again.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 11:50 PM   #13
TPNml
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
if you cannot/do not DIY, it's quite expense to own a car out of warranty.

Many/most mechanics will refuse to accept your parts.
Even if they did accept them, FCP warranty is far from what it was. Now you pay 1600 for brakes, use them, when it's time to replace them you need to buy another set for 1600 and you get a 1600 store credit. So then, when you order your third set of rotors, at 150k miles, you get those 'free'.
It's pretty close to a scam. No wonder ECS now offers the same 'store credit' scheme, because it costs almost nothing.
My mechanic accepts any and all aftermarket parts I bring as long as I don't haggle on the labor. I also already have a set of FCP rotors on my car, and store credit on FCP isn't so bad when I'm buying multiple different kinds of parts instead of just one.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 11:55 PM   #14
TPNml
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFox View Post
Keep the car it’s been your pride and joy and lots of memories made. Big deal if a few more items to replace as you would have to do the same plus more tuning mods on the M2.
I would drive the M2 basically stock if I bought it.

Virtually all the mods I've done to the M4 besides the ECU and TCU tunes and sticky tires were either bought to prevent excessive wear (camber plates for tires) or to prevent parts from failing, often retroactively (crank hub, chargepipes, poly diff bushings, etc.)

Obviously ECU and TCU tunes have no place on a car with warranty, and nearly every other part (save for tires and brake pads/fluid) is covered by warranty, so there is no need to mod the M2.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 12:17 AM   #15
TPNml
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter2090 View Post
Just for the reason that the valves made contact with the pistons I would probably move to another car. Have you considered another f8x? Maybe try a F82 or f80 to change things up.
We ran leakdown on the motor immediately after failure and we got all single digit results, with the worst (the contacted piston) being 7-8%. Not perfect for 45k miles at the time but definitely passable for a significant amount of time.

My next car should really have a warranty so I can just take it to the dealer and forget about it whenever it needs repairs. Modding is fun (and if I keep my current car I'm probably keeping all the mods on it), but it's not like I'm installing some special voodoo mods that are being R&Ded to create a type of car that doesn't exist. If I wanted another stiff sport coupe type car, I'm either getting a G87 or doing what I should have done from day one and get a brand new Camaro SS 1LE.
Appreciate 0