GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

06-06-2018, 11:33 PM   #1
shaftwhy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
How long does your DS 1.11 last

I posted about my brake pads last time, after that I got new pads. Then after 3 track days (about total 6 hours track time) they are done! My last set of DS 1.11 lasted much longer (6-7 days I want to say?) but I was slower back then.

I definitely brake too much so if I brake less and go faster I can consume them slower . But am also wondering how many track days/hours can everybody else get out of their DS 1.11.
Attached Images

Last edited by shaftwhy; 06-06-2018 at 11:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 01:33 AM   #2
Continental02
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Really depends on how much you're pushing. I've gone through a new set in 8, 20 minute sessions at Laguna. As you decrease your lap times, brakes will be one of your biggest expenses. There's no cooling for them so they wear very quickly
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2018, 03:37 AM   #3
m4likf82
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F82 M4

I just tried these pads for the first time, stock car with NT01's and I went through them in 3 track days (4, 20 min sessions each). They were good but my brake calipers also turned green :/
My LapTimes did get better. The weight of the car and inadequate cooling will do that, just the price to pay for the fun
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 08:48 AM   #4
OhioRiderAaron
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continental02 View Post
Really depends on how much you're pushing. I've gone through a new set in 8, 20 minute sessions at Laguna. As you decrease your lap times, brakes will be one of your biggest expenses. There's no cooling for them so they wear very quickly
Agreed.

I got ~2 events with my first set. NCM (chin) and MidO (PCA). Extended sessions, overheating them at times. I got pretty bad taper wear by then too. The rears were still looking decent though.

These cars need better brakes and/or brake cooling. I think that would make a measurable difference in pad life, unfortunately there's not much to choose from (revosport?).

I did try the PFC08s last month and I do think those offer better pad wear at the expense of reduced performance and fade resistance. I already went ahead and bought another set of DS1.11's since then...

ZCP - Daily Driven Trackster ~ Gone but not Forgotten
1LE - Track Rubber & Garage Dust Collector
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 10:40 AM   #5
shaftwhy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continental02 View Post
Wow! But again I think you are probably holding F8x lap record at the tracks you go, price to be fast

Last edited by shaftwhy; 06-07-2018 at 11:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 10:42 AM   #6
shaftwhy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4likf82 View Post
I just tried these pads for the first time, stock car with NT01's and I went through them in 3 track days (4, 20 min sessions each). They were good but my brake calipers also turned green :/
My LapTimes did get better. The weight of the car and inadequate cooling will do that, just the price to pay for the fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRiderAaron View Post
Agreed.

I got ~2 events with my first set. NCM (chin) and MidO (PCA). Extended sessions, overheating them at times. I got pretty bad taper wear by then too. The rears were still looking decent though.

These cars need better brakes and/or brake cooling. I think that would make a measurable difference in pad life, unfortunately there's not much to choose from (revosport?).

I did try the PFC08s last month and I do think those offer better pad wear at the expense of reduced performance and fade resistance. I already went ahead and bought another set of DS1.11's since then...
Good to know. So I am not totally out of line here. Time to stock up!

But I do believe I can wind down the brake to some degree, so that I can both go faster and save a little bit money.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 03:27 PM   #7
helothere
Car ADD
Rep
Drives: few cars serving own purpose

Once the brakes start to heat up to higher temperatures the pad will wear down very fast.
Faster you are, more possibility in doing so.

Effective brake cooling and (later) BBK that can hold thicker pads will help bring the brake parts cost down.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 04:00 PM   #8
shaftwhy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by helothere View Post
Once the brakes start to heat up to higher temperatures the pad will wear down very fast.
Faster you are, more possibility in doing so.

Effective brake cooling and (later) BBK that can hold thicker pads will help bring the brake parts cost down.
How do one add brake cooling?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 06:10 PM   #9
helothere
Car ADD
Rep
Drives: few cars serving own purpose

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaftwhy View Post
How do one add brake cooling?
http://www.revozport.com/f8x/rzp-bra...it.html#popup1

Something like this, but you can probably make one for half the cost.... If you are a DIY kind of guy....
Appreciate 0