Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

01-18-2017, 09:18 AM   #1
2nd Childhood
Rep
Drives: BMW 2019 M5 Competition

Switching Stock Seat for Racing Seat for Track Events

I don't mind using the Schroth Quickfit with the stock seats on member days at the track, which I know is not approved by Schroth. However, my next DE event at COTA with PCA that will clearly not work, so I am resolved to switching out the stock seat for a racing seat, but I want the ability to put the stock seat back in later.

I have used the Sparco Evo II seat before and like the fit. I want to mount the seat to sliders to adjust for and aft. I also want to know if I need to do anything special to shut off any electronic buzzers, alerts, etc. when I remove and disconnect the stock seat.

Any suggestions on mounting hardware and sliders for the seat? Would you recommend a different seat?

As far as a harness setup, Brey-Krause is supposedly releasing a harness bar for the F80 soon. Vetteworks, who I worked with recently on my C7 Z06, has a mounting bracket to deal with the lap & sub belts that may work. They are sending me one to do a trial fit. I have read most of the commentary about needing a roll bar with a harness. I am okay with the harness bar.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 12:15 PM   #2
2nd Childhood
Rep
Drives: BMW 2019 M5 Competition

Also wanted to add for those of you using the Schroth Quickfit in your F80, here is a link to an official TeamTeach Seat Back Strap 16" made to be used with a harness where the seat does not have harness passthru's.
Here is the link to the product page at Vetteworks: http://www.vetteworksonline.net/cata...roducts_id=163

I just installed on my Quickfit to make sure the over the shoulder harness belts would fit through the openings. You do need to remove the camlock to do so, but they are removed with by pushing a pin in the two holes on back of the camlock.
Appreciate 1
MPoweRo428.00
      01-18-2017, 01:32 PM   #3
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Removing seats will trigger off the SRS errors and lock out your M1/M2 presets (sport mode).

The AGB will need to be coded out when the race shells are installed, and coded back in once the stock seats are reinstalled. Not exactly convenient.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 04:02 PM   #4
dk38
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Removing seats will trigger off the SRS errors and lock out your M1/M2 presets (sport mode).

The AGB will need to be coded out when the race shells are installed, and coded back in once the stock seats are reinstalled. Not exactly convenient.
Tom, what if no coding was done when the stock seats were removed and race buckets put in. When the stock seats are reinstalled, are the codes going to be cleared automatically?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 04:04 PM   #5
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk38 View Post
Tom, what if no coding was done when the stock seats were removed and race buckets put in. When the stock seats are reinstalled, are the codes going to be cleared automatically?
No, SRS errors have to be cleared by a BMW-specific scanner. Generic readers cannot clear SRS-related codes.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 04:16 PM   #6
dk38
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
No, SRS errors have to be cleared by a BMW-specific scanner. Generic readers cannot clear SRS-related codes.
That sucks. Thank you for the info.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 08:46 PM   #7
afadeev
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd Childhood View Post
I don't mind using the Schroth Quickfit with the stock seats on member days at the track, which I know is not approved by Schroth. However, my next DE event at COTA with PCA that will clearly not work,
Really, why not?
I've used my Scroth ASM belt with Audi, PCA, and BMW CCA events without any issues.
If it's street legal/certified, it's a "go" with all local clubs.

Quote:
so I am resolved to switching out the stock seat for a racing seat, but I want the ability to put the stock seat back in later.
You can certainly do that, but it's a chore.
The seat anchor bolts are not easy to remove, and fit super tight.
You can swap the seats occasionally, but if you make a habit out of it, it will be only a matter of time before you cross thread them, and will be in a world of hurt.

And as other stated, race seats are liable to throw SRS light (unless they airbag sensors in a button cushion, which is highly unlikely) and seat belt light (unless the aftermarket seat buckle has another sensor).

Quote:
As far as a harness setup, Brey-Krause is supposedly releasing a harness bar for the F80 soon. Vetteworks, who I worked with recently on my C7 Z06, has a mounting bracket to deal with the lap & sub belts that may work.
Read up on the cons of mounting proper 5-/6-point harness without a cage. It's not something I would advise anyone, or do myself.

4-point ASM Scroth is the only compromise that I would consider (and did install) without a roll bar or a cage. And that is only because the outer belt is designed to release a fold, and turn into a 3 point harness in case of an accident.

Quote:
I have read most of the commentary about needing a roll bar with a harness. I am okay with the harness bar.
That's great, but now you've added the harness bar to the list of things to install/remove before/after a DE. Either that, or you should never put passengers in the rear seats again. Exposed metal tubing and unprotected skulls don't mesh together well in an accident!

Quote:
Also wanted to add for those of you using the Schroth Quickfit in your F80, here is a link to an official TeamTeach Seat Back Strap 16" made to be used with a harness where the seat does not have harness passthru's.
Here is the link to the product page at Vetteworks: http://www.vetteworksonline.net/cata...roducts_id=163
I am using Schroth ASM harness, and see no need for this contraption.
Once tightening, the shoulder belts have ZERO tendency to move. If anything, they naturally slide closer together and stay put.

This strap would only make it harder to put the shoulder belts on.

YMMV,
a
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 03:28 AM   #8
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

It seems simple but it's always a pita!
      01-19-2017, 03:58 PM   #9
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

I've done a seat install that mirrors what you want to do on my E92. Not the same car, granted, but it's the same concept.

About the harness/roll bar, Schroth published a white paper which clearly said it was generally safer to run a 6 point system than a 3 point even without a roll cage. Despite people's thoughts about 'ducking' while the car is flipping over, a 3 point is not safer period.

[BTW, like you, there is no way I could track an F80 with PCA or BMWCCA with QFPs that are not approved for the car. And they are not. I used to run them in my E92 and I had multiple instructors get out of the car yelling about instant screaming death on a stick and siccing the tech chair on me. The only thing that didn't get me removed from the event and sentenced to summary execution was the little sticker that says E92 on the belts]

Here is the DIY. It is not at all straightforward and would take hours to do. Forget the coding issues which you can learn how to do and will take 30 minutes, the actual seat install/uninstall will take hours.
Nothing you do in a seat install is irreversible by the way if you do it like I did. I prefer the Sparco Ergo as I get removable halos for maximum protection.

By the way, PCA at least in the Northeast will not let you have two different seats on both sides. They will force you to have 6 points on both sides unless you are willing to use 3 points with race seats.

BK is a great company and I'd use them again in a heartbeat. In fact I am using them again for my E90M!

I've said it before, but this was the worst decision BMW made for the F8X generation. I'm a big stickler for the V8 sound and the NA engine experience, but at least that had a good reason behind it. This seat thing however was just retarded!!
Until now you could get QFP on a M and use a Hans device at track days and remove it all in 30 seconds to pick your kids up from school the following Monday.
Now, you are basically screwed. To run 6 points you need a BK bar, and if you have a BK bar the car is now a 2 seater...

However, what makes me wonder about the future of mankind is some forum members being happy when the seats were announced because 'now we have the same badass seats as the AMGs', ignoring that the new seats are a massive affront to the weekend track warrior. The ultimate definition of hard parkers...

Perhaps your best option is to get a comfortable 'race' seat like the Pole Position and leave it in the car for good. The BK bar can be dismounted quite easily and if you have a 4 door you can then have people in the rear.

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 05-04-2017 at 07:22 AM..
Appreciate 2
DASm337.00
hwalk116.00
      01-21-2017, 05:19 PM   #10
scotty_miller
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2003.5 E46 M3

You have two options:

1) Stick with stock seats and quick fits

2) Save up and do fixed backs with proper harness and half cage set up.

Any track guy knows you don't skimp out on safety, brakes, and tires.

BMW CCA Club Racing #905

Instagram: scottynotpippen
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 07:14 PM   #11
DASm3
///
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Current: 991.1gts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk38 View Post
Would the SRS codes effect the driver seat only? Or is there some type of relay in conjunction with the other airbag sensors?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 10:49 PM   #12
ferrarif1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85, G05, E46M3

Quote:

I realize that I am reviving an old thread but wanted to point out that BK now has seat mounts for the F80 platform:
https://www.bkauto.com/R_9283_for_La...s_p/r-9283.htm
https://www.bkauto.com/R_9280_Seat_M...s_p/r-9280.htm

Still no definite date on the harness bar though...

tom @ eas what needs to be coded to remove errors? I am not familiar with AGB
Appreciate 2
mcvaughan704.00
coolmody365.00
      05-03-2017, 01:08 AM   #13
coolmody
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW/SO F80 M3

tom @ eas: Hoping you can help me code my seats. Sounds like you know what codes need to be changed to accommodate aftermarket seats. My thread discussing some of the codes I have tried.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1371308
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 03:29 PM   #14
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

I run sparco ERGO II full time in my car. You just need to have them coded. As far as harnesses go, i wouldnt do them without at least a half cage. If you roll the car you will break your neck/back.

Stock seats with stock seat belts is more than enough if you arent willing to run buckets, cage and harnesses full time
      05-04-2017, 07:19 AM   #15
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPWINCH View Post
I run sparco ERGO II full time in my car. You just need to have them coded. As far as harnesses go, i wouldnt do them without at least a half cage. If you roll the car you will break your neck/back.

Stock seats with stock seat belts is more than enough if you arent willing to run buckets, cage and harnesses full time
Guys

Stop fear mongering. Fixed back seats with 6 pts is safer than oem seats with 3 points.

In the link I provided earlier (https://www.schrothracing.com/docs/TechTactics.pdf ) there's a full whitepaper from Scroth explaining it.

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 05-04-2017 at 08:09 AM..
Appreciate 1
MaynardZed1231.00
      05-04-2017, 07:21 AM   #16
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarif1 View Post
I realize that I am reviving an old thread but wanted to point out that BK now has seat mounts for the F80 platform:
https://www.bkauto.com/R_9283_for_La...s_p/r-9283.htm
https://www.bkauto.com/R_9280_Seat_M...s_p/r-9280.htm

Still no definite date on the harness bar though...

tom @ eas what needs to be coded to remove errors? I am not familiar with AGB
On my E90 I removed the Macht Shnell side mounts and bottom mounts plus the recaro sliders and went with the BK solution instead.

The BK mounts reuse the stock seat sliders. The difference is night and day. The BK mounts are WAY more rigid when you grab the seat and try to move it whereas the previous solution was all flabby. I thought it was the seats flexing but apparently I was wrong.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 03:37 PM   #17
YMB_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BSM M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
I am using Schroth ASM harness, and see no need for this contraption.
Once tightening, the shoulder belts have ZERO tendency to move. If anything, they naturally slide closer together and stay put.

This strap would only make it harder to put the shoulder belts on.

YMMV,
a
Are you using the quick fit pro designed for the e90?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 08:22 AM   #18
afadeev
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMB_M3 View Post
Are you using the quick fit pro designed for the e90?
Yes.
I believe it also fits MINI's, but not E46 cars (different seat buckles?).

a
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 04:56 PM   #19
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

How do quick fits work without harness pass throughs in the stock seats?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 07:07 PM   #20
Caliboy951
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Race seats makes a much bigger difference than what you may think. You'll go from trying to stay in your seat to being "stuck" in your seat focusing on your race line.
After I added the seats I added the roll bar.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 07:56 PM   #21
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

My contribution.
Attached Images

03-08-2018, 01:01 PM   #22
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
Read up on the cons of mounting proper 5-/6-point harness without a cage. It's not something I would advise anyone, or do myself.

4-point ASM Scroth is the only compromise that I would consider (and did install) without a roll bar or a cage. And that is only because the outer belt is designed to release a fold, and turn into a 3 point harness in case of an accident.
The misinformation that won't go away...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0