Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

View Poll Results: What transmission will-you-get or do-you-have in your M3/M4?
6MT 1,320 53.57%
DCT 1,144 46.43%
Voters: 2464. You may not vote on this poll

02-01-2014, 09:27 PM   #243
RealStig
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Yes, I would say so.
Hey,

Sorry but I have been searching the F30 forum for these shift points and cannot find anything at all. I just want to see how it looks like and maybe a brief description of the feature. Maybe I am not using the right keywords, do you mind pointing me in the right direction?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 10:01 PM   #244
bmw-nj
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335 xdrive M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealStig
Quote:
Yes, I would say so.
Hey,

Sorry but I have been searching the F30 forum for these shift points and cannot find anything at all. I just want to see how it looks like and maybe a brief description of the feature. Maybe I am not using the right keywords, do you mind pointing me in the right direction?

Thanks.
I noticed it in my 2014 335xi M Sport. It says in small numbers on the bottom right of the screen the optimal gear to be in. Hard to notice unless you are really looking for it. I wish it was in the heads up display. Can that be changed anyone?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 10:17 PM   #245
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealStig
Quote:
Yes, I would say so.
Hey,

Thanks.
I don't know that we've devoted a thread to that topic. Have you tried searching YouTube? It's displayed as an arrow and a numerical value associated with the recommended gear. In ECO-PRO mode there is also a 'foot-on-gas-pedal' graphic that illustrates when you should adjust your speed for optimal MPG's in whichever gear you're in. I don't pay attention to it much, but I do notice when it changes from blue to gray; the latter meaning 'adjust your speed'.

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 10:39 PM   #246
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

In the box with the two arrows, one will illuminate and indicate and upshift or downshift, and recommend a gear. I hope this helps RealStig.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 09:58 PM   #247
blackshan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixse
i missed having MT when i had auto.. i never missed having a auto while owning a MT.. end of discussion for me..
That's a great way to think of it!
JB4/MHD, Stage 2 lpf,3.5 tmap, AFE DCI AND SCOOPS, ETS 7" Intercooler, AR Catted Downpipes, MMP Inlets,CP-E Exhaust, Carbon FIber CSL Style Trunk lid, M3 Side Skirts, Mtech front lip spoiler, Mtech rear bumper w/carbon diffuser and Alloy Technic 19" matte black rims.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 10:50 PM   #248
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hehe. The carbon fiber DCT knob is perfect.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 11:07 AM   #249
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
DCT
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 11:28 AM   #250
Ducfan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

DCT for fun?

I'm new to this forum but have noticed a propensity for members to get a little heated over matters that seem to me opinion. So I start off saying that I am absolutely looking for completely subjective responses

2015 M3 will be my third M car. It is not my fun car. It is a DD that I can have fun with. Have always had MT but thinking to go DCT. My fear is that this might remove driver engagement and fun.....my hope would be that it's cool and a different kind of fun that maybe suites this car. Frankly my E90 M3 feels sterile in almost every regard compared to my old hot rod 911. So thinking MT is maybe not the right direction....I should go high tech F1 for a different experience than my vintage 911.

Anybody else made similar choice, observation, etc?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 11:34 AM   #251
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

had both, and while dct is a better match for the car and engine (e9x m3) I grew bored with it after only a few months. will never order a DCT again. if I have to have an auto, id rather have an SUV

to me, MT is much more fun. its also a great fit with a turbo engine. I loved the manual in the 1m
      03-04-2014, 11:36 AM   #252
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducfan View Post
I'm new to this forum but have noticed a propensity for members to get a little heated over matters that seem to me opinion. So I start off saying that I am absolutely looking for completely subjective responses

2015 M3 will be my third M car. It is not my fun car. It is a DD that I can have fun with. Have always had MT but thinking to go DCT. My fear is that this might remove driver engagement and fun.....my hope would be that it's cool and a different kind of fun that maybe suites this car. Frankly my E90 M3 feels sterile in almost every regard compared to my old hot rod 911. So thinking MT is maybe not the right direction....I should go high tech F1 for a different experience than my vintage 911.

Anybody else made similar choice, observation, etc?
DCT nice for daily driver. I guess it depends on the level of traffic where you live. If I didn't sit in stop and go traffic for 45 minutes a day I would get a manual. Also how can I surf the web and check Facebook if Im busy shifting gears?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 11:41 AM   #253
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

After a weekend of testing out a DCT I was longing for an MT. But that's just me. Changed my order Monday morning.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 11:46 AM   #254
jbockrd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 Alpine White/Carbon M3

I briefly thought about it, then drove my wife's Subaru with paddle shifters, NO WAY!!!! Give me a left foot pedal!!!!!
      03-09-2014, 02:17 PM   #255
Miko M3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I drove E90 and E92 M3 with MT and love it more fun to drive.Then I got X5M and is not fir me. I am going back to F80 M3 MT.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 10:14 AM   #256
ChrisMT79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3- Alpine White

Manual here, as mentioned my screen name wouldn't be valid otherwise.
Though I do find it interesting to hear opinions stating that driving a MT is a nuisance.
If you are unable to drive a manual, then obviously a DCT is the way to go and I don't think anyone would ever fault anyone for making that choice, as it is a splendid transmission.

That being said, unless your tracking the car a majority of the time and need those extra 10ths of a second, what is it exactly you plan on doing in the car that pushing an additional pedal and moving a lever becomes too much of a chore?
I mean honest to goodness manual drivers could not possibly be the ones stating this. I am a fairly good driver with/without a manual, obviously not a professional, but I have driven manuals for long enough to have a solid technique and drive one smooth enough to provide my family with a comfortable ride, and in turn, can drop the clutch and safely lay some rubber when the feeling arises.

After a period of time, I think most manual drivers would agree we really do not notice the process during normal daily driving. Especially not to the point where i would consider it a painstaking chore. I guess even in the worst traffic scenarios, the pros(more engaging, enjoyment, control, etc...) outweigh the cons for me. Now if this were my primary family car, and others in the family were utilizing this vehicle then perhaps this may not be the best choice.
Perhaps a better question is not which transmission did you go with, but if you are a manual driver (or can drive a manual relatively well), then why did you chose the DCT?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 10:31 AM   #257
Lups
Rep
Drives: I don't own a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMT79 View Post
Though I do find it interesting to hear opinions stating that driving a MT is a nuisance.
If you are unable to drive a manual, then obviously a DCT is the way to go and I don't think anyone would ever fault anyone for making that choice, as it is a splendid transmission.

That being said, unless your tracking the car a majority of the time and need those extra 10ths of a second, what is it exactly you plan on doing in the car that pushing an additional pedal and moving a lever becomes too much of a chore?
I mean honest to goodness manual drivers could not possibly be the ones stating this. I am a fairly good driver with/without a manual, obviously not a professional, but I have driven manuals for long enough to have a solid technique and drive one smooth enough to provide my family with a comfortable ride, and in turn, can drop the clutch and safely lay some rubber when the feeling arises.

After a period of time, I think most manual drivers would agree we really do not notice the process during normal daily driving. Especially not to the point where i would consider it a painstaking chore. I guess even in the worst traffic scenarios, the pros(more engaging, enjoyment, control, etc...) outweigh the cons for me. Now if this were my primary family car, and others in the family were utilizing this vehicle then perhaps this may not be the best choice.
Perhaps a better question is not which transmission did you go with, but if you are a manual driver (or can drive a manual relatively well), then why did you chose the DCT?
In my opinion, driving anything but a manual is annoying. The real world driving is the hills, traffic, Priuses, and kids running to the street. I feel half a sleep while behind the wheel of that mountain we call family transport, and I'm so distracted due to that, that I seriously do not think I'm a safe on the roads like that.

I don't understand how shifting became a form of exercise and therefore something to avoid, but I do think that too many people have the other hand too free. Just yesterday I saw a girl driving while doing her hair and makeup at the same time. I do hope daddy buys her a mt after she totals that one.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 11:07 AM   #258
ChrisMT79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3- Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups
Quote:

In my opinion, driving anything but a manual is annoying. The real world driving is the hills, traffic, Priuses, and kids running to the street. I feel half a sleep while behind the wheel of that mountain we call family transport, and I'm so distracted due to that, that I seriously do not think I'm a safe on the roads like that.

I don't understand how shifting became a form of exercise and therefore something to avoid, but I do think that too many people have the other hand too free. Just yesterday I saw a girl driving while doing her hair and makeup at the same time. I do hope daddy buys her a mt after she totals that one.
Yes, I agree. I honestly feel new drivers should be required to drive a manual for at least a year or two before they are allowed to get their drivers license. With all the technological updates and gizmos in vehicles nowadays, people are increasingly paying much less attention to actually driving, focusing more on status updates and so forth.
I personally keep my phone in my pocket while driving and generally turn the stereo down to listen to my surroundings/engine note, as this for me is part of the enjoyment of the experience.
Again, need I remind that this discussion is based primarily on the fact this is a 400+hp sports vehicle in reference.
Now were this a minivan or something of that nature, then yes an automatic with TVs for passengers and all those additional items are warranted. Though I still feel additional training Should be required for new drivers to get them accustom to focusing on actually driving, and earning the privilege to do so. It seems some feel this is a legal right to drive and forget it is a privilege and can be taken away.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 11:25 AM   #259
Lups
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I agree. I honestly feel new drivers should be required to drive a manual for at least a year or two before they are allowed to get their drivers license. With all the technological updates and gizmos in vehicles nowadays, people are increasingly paying much less attention to actually driving, focusing more on status updates and so forth.
I personally keep my phone in my pocket while driving and generally turn the stereo down to listen to my surroundings/engine note, as this for me is part of the enjoyment of the experience.
Again, need I remind that this discussion is based primarily on the fact this is a 400+hp sports vehicle in reference.
Now were this a minivan or something of that nature, then yes an automatic with TVs for passengers and all those additional items are warranted. Though I still feel additional training Should be required for new drivers to get them accustom to focusing on actually driving, and earning the privilege to do so. It seems some feel this is a legal right to drive and forget it is a privilege and can be taken away.
Where I'm from, it takes a shit load of time to get a real license, and you don't get a full one driving an automatic (if i remember correctly). Due to winters, all of us must do a training also on ice, and because darkness, we also do training for that. A bit different than here, I would say. The inspector (don't remember his title, sorry) asked me to push the break paddle and then he wanted me to show him how to put on an indicator. I did have to drive and park though, so the car did move during the test.

Our taxes are so high, that the cars do not mach the ones here by a long shot. That gives us the chance to learn how to fix minor stuff while on the move, and also we have a great vocabulary of curse words.

I'm hoping to take this baby back home with me, and because of that only a manual is an option. It's the only thing that can handle the shitty conditions we have.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 11:30 AM   #260
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

My buddy's 23 year old son bought his first car and decided he'd get a manual. Studied YouTube videos and had his dad's instruction in his MT Bimmer. Refreshing to see all the young drivers interested in learning. Tons of online instruction videos.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 11:36 AM   #261
Lups
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
My buddy's 23 year old son bought his first car and decided he'd get a manual. Studied YouTube videos and had his dad's instruction in his MT Bimmer. Refreshing to see all the young drivers interested in learning. Tons of online instruction videos.
I will not buy an automatic for my kids, ever. That being said, I don't think I would ever buy any car to them, financing the thing themselves will make them respect the power it has more. I'll sponsor the shoes and the buss passes though. And no way in hell are they going behind the wheel of my cars. 400+ hp's that mum prefers are not for the learners.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 11:43 AM   #262
ake
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 e40

I'd love to go manual... but just having a 7th gear is way better for my future Autobahn driving (too bad they did not add a 7th for the manual, that would be a great option from my perspective to allow cruising at higher speeds with having an eye on fuel consumption).
I never owned an automatic so far and probably will think over that in the future, but for this one I think the M with a DCT is the perfect combination to me.
[ Yas Marina Blue | Black Full Merino Leather | 19" Black-Light Alloy Wheels | M Double-Clutch Transmission | Carbon Fiber interior | Driver Assistance Plus / Lighting / Executive | Adaptive M Suspension | Harman Kardon Surround ]
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 12:09 PM   #263
Milban
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT3 ordered

I agree with all of the viewpoints in this thread. I have always been a flag waver for manual shift. Now here's where I get flamed to the ground.. I have an appreciation for all things mechanical. There have been a very few times in my life that I drove or had a automatic that up shifted, and downshifted, under various loads, really well. When I give a bit of throttle, feel some low rpm torque, and get a perfectly placed downshift out of any automatic, it feels great! I think this is going to be one of those cars..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 10:40 PM   #264
Lups
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milban View Post
I agree with all of the viewpoints in this thread. I have always been a flag waver for manual shift. Now here's where I get flamed to the ground.. I have an appreciation for all things mechanical. There have been a very few times in my life that I drove or had a automatic that up shifted, and downshifted, under various loads, really well. When I give a bit of throttle, feel some low rpm torque, and get a perfectly placed downshift out of any automatic, it feels great! I think this is going to be one of those cars..
Who are you and how dear you have an opinion? I will throw the first rock, my aims sucks so you won't get hurt, don't worry.

As always with matter of personal preferences, we tend to think only our choice is right. In my case, that is true of course, but I do understand that everyone can not be perfect like I, that's why I still have room in my pedestal!

I'm not an engineer, so there is no way I would get the full satisfaction from the DCT, I, like many normal people can not understand the finer points of it, so we go where our limited talents allow us to travel. My spouse is at the moment willing to waver his right to choose me the most humiliating license plates in the state of Washington, if I get the DCT.

I hope you'll be happy with it, if not, do as I do, complain endlessly.
Appreciate 0