Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-16-2021, 11:18 AM   #23
e36clubracer
Second Lieutenant
163
Rep
242
Posts

Drives: F15 X5, f80 M3, e92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

If you have to disconnect the remotes MCS says you can use compressed air to fill for a short period while you drive to get them filled. They will need to be purged and then refilled with nitrogen.
__________________
'18 Fire Orange F80 M3 - 6spd, ZCP, full M-performance catalog, Forgeline GA1R
'11 Dakar Yellow E92 M3 - DCT, Motion Control 4-way, Meisterschaft Super GT Titanium, BBS RIA

Instagram - @Boondogglegarage
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 12:22 PM   #24
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
x.shell's Avatar
5645
Rep
4,868
Posts

Drives: ▋ ▉▉
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location:  ▆▆▆ ▆▆▆ ▆

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36clubracer View Post
If you have to disconnect the remotes MCS says you can use compressed air to fill for a short period while you drive to get them filled. They will need to be purged and then refilled with nitrogen.
This is what I'm thinking of doing. After more research, it looks like there is no way to avoid disconnecting the front canisters during install — the external reservoirs are too large to fit through the spindle.
Appreciate 1
jfritz27160.50

      01-16-2021, 12:33 PM   #25
AlpineF80
Enlisted Member
United_States
15
Rep
30
Posts

Drives: BMW F80 M3
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (0)

Without question a big jump in price from 1WNR to 2WR, but the external remote does have it's benefits.

My E46 and E90 M3 are more of my track cars, so that's why they have the doubles.

My F80 will be getting the 1WNR since I don't really plan to track the car as heavily. I may only take it out on those days that I'm too lazy to load up the trailer with the E46 or E90, lol.

If you haven't purchased anything, hit up the crew at Performance Eurowerks in Illinois. They supply a lot of us locals with MCS. They run them on their personal/shop cars, so the first hand experience is there. For what it's worth, they are also dealers for JRZ, Ohlins, and KW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36clubracer View Post
If you have to disconnect the remotes MCS says you can use compressed air to fill for a short period while you drive to get them filled. They will need to be purged and then refilled with nitrogen.
This is exactly what I did on my E46 M3 MCS 2WR. Installed them, put compressed air, then had my shop purge/fill with Nitrogen.
__________________
2015 BMW F80 M3 DCT | PETuned Stage 2E85 . Performance Eurowerks 3.5" Downpipe & Silicone Chargepipe . RK Autowerks 4-pin Crankhub . BMW FlexFuel Spark Plugs
Instagram . Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 09:26 PM   #26
ninekrpm
Second Lieutenant
62
Rep
205
Posts

Drives: E53 4.8is
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: earth

iTrader: (1)

Have had the 2WWR MCSs for now 5 years, 30K miles on them and just had them serviced. Would not have gone any other way...I believe my setup thread is still out there.

The service from the MCS guys a long way...they have never disappointed; been dealing with them for over 15 years (back from their Moton days)

Saw this thread today and was interested to see the outcome here, so read along. Sounds like a good value vs performance approach.

Regarding nitro setup, I spent $150 on 300 psi regulator and hose and rent a pre-filled nitro tank for $35 from airgas. The tank lasts me at least a year and use it for both the cans and tyres.
Appreciate 2
      01-17-2021, 09:59 PM   #27
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
x.shell's Avatar
5645
Rep
4,868
Posts

Drives: ▋ ▉▉
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location:  ▆▆▆ ▆▆▆ ▆

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninekrpm View Post
Have had the 2WWR MCSs for now 5 years, 30K miles on them and just had them serviced. Would not have gone any other way...I believe my setup thread is still out there.

The service from the MCS guys a long way...they have never disappointed; been dealing with them for over 15 years (back from their Moton days)

Saw this thread today and was interested to see the outcome here, so read along. Sounds like a good value vs performance approach.

Regarding nitro setup, I spent $150 on 300 psi regulator and hose and rent a pre-filled nitro tank for $35 from airgas. The tank lasts me at least a year and use it for both the cans and tyres.
Thank you for your reply. Which PSI regulator and hose do you use?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 09:15 PM   #28
AlpineF80
Enlisted Member
United_States
15
Rep
30
Posts

Drives: BMW F80 M3
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninekrpm View Post
Have had the 2WWR MCS’s for now 5 years, 30K miles on them and just had them serviced. Would not have gone any other way...I believe my setup thread is still out there.

The service from the MCS guys a long way...they have never disappointed; been dealing with them for over 15 years (back from their Moton days)

Saw this thread today and was interested to see the outcome here, so read along. Sounds like a good value vs performance approach.

Regarding nitro setup, I spent $150 on 300 psi regulator and hose and rent a pre-filled nitro tank for $35 from airgas. The tank lasts me at least a year and use it for both the cans and tyres.
Amidst disassembly, how was the condition of everything?
Any pitting on the pistons, shafts, or body walls?
__________________
2015 BMW F80 M3 DCT | PETuned Stage 2E85 . Performance Eurowerks 3.5" Downpipe & Silicone Chargepipe . RK Autowerks 4-pin Crankhub . BMW FlexFuel Spark Plugs
Instagram . Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 10:45 PM   #29
jrgsales
New Member
30
Rep
21
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW M3
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Pretty sure there is a MCS 2 way non remote.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 11:26 PM   #30
ninekrpm
Second Lieutenant
62
Rep
205
Posts

Drives: E53 4.8is
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: earth

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineF80 View Post
Amidst disassembly, how was the condition of everything?
Any pitting on the pistons, shafts, or body walls?
No hardware issues, standard service where they replaced all seals and oil. About 10 months since service and 2Kish miles since with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 11:27 PM   #31
ninekrpm
Second Lieutenant
62
Rep
205
Posts

Drives: E53 4.8is
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: earth

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x.shell View Post
Thank you for your reply. Which PSI regulator and hose do you use?
Will send details...had bought from Amazon a few years back
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 11:32 PM   #32
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
x.shell's Avatar
5645
Rep
4,868
Posts

Drives: ▋ ▉▉
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location:  ▆▆▆ ▆▆▆ ▆

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgsales View Post
Pretty sure there is a MCS 2 way non remote.
Not for long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninekrpm View Post
Will send details...had bought from Amazon a few years back
That'd be great thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 08:04 AM   #33
jrgsales
New Member
30
Rep
21
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW M3
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Bummer. I was thinking about the MCS 2WNR. Sounds like its being discontinued, is that true?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 10:55 AM   #34
Pwurz
Registered
5
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: SpecE30
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: VA

iTrader: (0)

Phil from BimmerWorld here - No, the MCS 2WNR is NOT being discontinued. I am not sure where that originated but if this information stemmed from us, then I believe there may have been a miscommunication somewhere along the way. We have been testing some different 2WNR designs with MCS for the F8X chassis that we are extremely excited about. The new designs are aimed to increase the control of the damper when used with spring rates that we would consider on the high side. The 2WNR damper in its current form is a fantastically capable damper, but just like your iPhone 11 was pretty sweet, there were some things that Apple could do to rub on it and make an iPhone 12 that is even sweeter (I know this example may not resonate with everyone but the improving technology principal remains).

The 2WNR really is a damper that was made to fit within a certain set of constraints or rules where two adjustments are allowed but no external reservoirs - what that means is that you are trying to package a lot into a little. In its crudest form, what you are doing with a damper system is moving around and displacing fluid. And MCS does this better than anyone else out there with a Non-Remote system. With the packaging constraints of a Non-Remote system you are limited on the volume/capacity available to be displaced. Move to a remote reservoir system and you more than double the volume of the fluid/gas which gains a lot of compliance and performance over a wider range of situations. If you are not trying to fit into a certain set of rules, and having two adjustments is of utmost importance to you, you will want the Remote Reservoir system due to this increased capacity. An analogy we use here often is that it's like trying to make 300 Hp out of a 2.3L S14 4-cylinder versus a 4L S65 V8 - the S65 does it with ease due to capacity.

So no - the 2WNR is not being discontinued, but we are working with MCS on an alternate version which may have led to a misunderstanding. And the current version is still being built, sold, and run on track very successfully.
Appreciate 3
SYT_Shadow7277.50
fanatic1721.00
sly1types167.50

      01-21-2021, 02:00 PM   #35
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
x.shell's Avatar
5645
Rep
4,868
Posts

Drives: ▋ ▉▉
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location:  ▆▆▆ ▆▆▆ ▆

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwurz View Post
Phil from BimmerWorld here - No, the MCS 2WNR is NOT being discontinued. I am not sure where that originated but if this information stemmed from us, then I believe there may have been a miscommunication somewhere along the way. We have been testing some different 2WNR designs with MCS for the F8X chassis that we are extremely excited about. The new designs are aimed to increase the control of the damper when used with spring rates that we would consider on the high side. The 2WNR damper in its current form is a fantastically capable damper, but just like your iPhone 11 was pretty sweet, there were some things that Apple could do to rub on it and make an iPhone 12 that is even sweeter (I know this example may not resonate with everyone but the improving technology principal remains).

The 2WNR really is a damper that was made to fit within a certain set of constraints or rules where two adjustments are allowed but no external reservoirs - what that means is that you are trying to package a lot into a little. In its crudest form, what you are doing with a damper system is moving around and displacing fluid. And MCS does this better than anyone else out there with a Non-Remote system. With the packaging constraints of a Non-Remote system you are limited on the volume/capacity available to be displaced. Move to a remote reservoir system and you more than double the volume of the fluid/gas which gains a lot of compliance and performance over a wider range of situations. If you are not trying to fit into a certain set of rules, and having two adjustments is of utmost importance to you, you will want the Remote Reservoir system due to this increased capacity. An analogy we use here often is that it's like trying to make 300 Hp out of a 2.3L S14 4-cylinder versus a 4L S65 V8 - the S65 does it with ease due to capacity.

So no - the 2WNR is not being discontinued, but we are working with MCS on an alternate version which may have led to a misunderstanding. And the current version is still being built, sold, and run on track very successfully.
I am the source of this misunderstanding.

Per email: "The 2WNR is not an option for the E9X & F8X cars at this time due to a valving change."

When I inquired on the phone to follow up, the words used was "Bimmerworld will not support the 2WNR." I thought this was odd considering it's still listed on the site for sale. When I pushed a bit more, the words were "The 2WNR was being discontinued." I didn't press more on the topic because I didn't feel I was getting anywhere with it.

I want to make it abundantly clear. The conversations I had with Bimmerworld was very polite and kind; never tense. I applaud you guys for the personal service that you're known for. The topic on the 2WNR was just as baffling to me as anyone else.

I really hope this thread does not to get anyone in trouble over there.
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2021, 05:32 PM   #36
jrgsales
New Member
30
Rep
21
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW M3
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

I would like to apologize for any participation in this misunderstanding. I took the reply not for long to mean, won’t be available for long/discontinuing or replacing. I too reached out to MCS, but have yet to hear back, no problem there, I just contacted them this morning. I also can say that I am fortunate to live within a couple hours of BimmerWorld. Phil and the entire crew there are absolutely fantastic, they worked with me on my ‘13 335i. They hopefully will be working on my ‘18 F80 soon, I’ll be in touch Phil. Jeff Goode

Last edited by jrgsales; 01-21-2021 at 09:54 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow7277.50

      01-21-2021, 06:26 PM   #37
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
7278
Rep
8,175
Posts

Drives: E90M/E92M/F80CS/X5 35/MiniCS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgsales View Post
I would like to apologize for any participation in this misunderstanding. I took the reply not for long to mean, wont be available for long/discounting or replacing. I too reached out to MCS, but have yet to heard back, no problem there, I just contacted them this morning. I also can say that I am fortunate to live within a couple hours of BimmerWorld. Phil and the entire crew there are absolutely fantastic, they worked with me on my 13 335i. They hopefully will be working on my 18 F80 soon, Ill be in touch Phil. Jeff Goode
Phil and the crew really are fantastic. I wish I lived closer to them
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2021, 09:30 PM   #38
fanatic1
Captain
fanatic1's Avatar
United_States
721
Rep
674
Posts

Drives: 2019 M4 CS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Encinitas/San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Phil and the crew really are fantastic. I wish I lived closer to them
Amen!
__________________
19 M4 CS LRG MPE
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow7277.50

      01-21-2021, 10:25 PM   #39
M3SQRD
Brigadier General
M3SQRD's Avatar
United_States
622
Rep
3,518
Posts

Drives: E92 M3,G20,F22 240iX,F82 M4
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatic1 View Post
Amen!
Hear! Hear!
Appreciate 3
fanatic1721.00
SYT_Shadow7277.50

      02-19-2021, 04:11 PM   #40
project e46m3
Captain
project e46m3's Avatar
United_States
214
Rep
741
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3 CS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alpharetta, GA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36clubracer View Post
If you have to disconnect the remotes MCS says you can use compressed air to fill for a short period while you drive to get them filled. They will need to be purged and then refilled with nitrogen.
Perfect! So you can do the install at home then drive to a shop to get the canisters filled. Music to my ears!
__________________
Current: '18 F80 M3 CS San Marino Blue
Gone: '13 E92 M3 Alpine White / Black & Fox Red / DCT / ZCP
Gone: '01 E46 M3 Jet Black / Imola Red / 6spd
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 03:08 AM   #41
love67
First Lieutenant
28
Rep
383
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Walnut, CA

iTrader: (3)

what do you guys prefer on springs rate for track set up using tires such as A052 and AR1 those level tires?
thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 11:09 AM   #42
fanatic1
Captain
fanatic1's Avatar
United_States
721
Rep
674
Posts

Drives: 2019 M4 CS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Encinitas/San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by love67 View Post
what do you guys prefer on springs rate for track set up using tires such as A052 and AR1 those level tires?
thanks
A052 square 295/30 and 700F/1000R divorced, will go up to 1100 next
__________________
19 M4 CS LRG MPE
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow7277.50

      02-27-2021, 12:38 AM   #43
F80Speed77
Grid.Life
F80Speed77's Avatar
United_States
208
Rep
299
Posts

Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Pittsburgh

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatic1 View Post
A052 square 295/30 and 700F/1000R divorced, will go up to 1100 next
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:46 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST