BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-25-2021, 05:47 AM   #1
kenf80
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Exclamation AA- Midpipe Cabin vibration/rattle

Getting this loud irritating rattle well I’d say more of a vibration as it sounds like aa midpipe is hitting something under the car. Took a look and I think it’s one of the screws/bolts that’s coming down from the underbody which is keeping the heat shield in place I believe. I ran the car without the OEM cross plate and still got the noise and pipes were no where near the diff.

http://youtube.com/shorts/Z8N7Y5gwFU8
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 10:06 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Single or Equal length? We had the same problem with the EL, we had to readjust the midpipe, as it was hitting another car component.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 11:03 AM   #3
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

2 things to check if it is the single mid

1. Make sure when it heats up and moves backwards that it is not hitting nay under carriage components. Mine hits the differential carriage when its real hot due to exhaust expansion and I cannot correct it. I just live with it.

2. The new resonance the pipe creates along with whatever exhaust can your using can make interior parts rattle. I got one when I switched from the stock can to the MPE with the same mid pipe
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 10:28 PM   #4
kenf80
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Single midpipe! Someone on FB just grinded the screw down but not to keen on doing that if there is another way to adjust.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 03:43 AM   #5
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenf80 View Post
Single midpipe! Someone on FB just grinded the screw down but not to keen on doing that if there is another way to adjust.
Since it is the AA mid and main body is 1 piece your only option is to loosen up the joints at the split and let it relax down slightly to give it more clearance to the under floor if it is touching. This is why I prefer the VRSF mid cuz the main body is 2 piece and you can adjust around these interferences somewhat. But you can grind the one tab down some and it won't kill you..... just dont whack it off like the FB joker
Appreciate 0