R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

11-04-2015, 11:21 AM   #45
Bsmith75
Private
Rep
Drives: '18 M3 ZCP & '20 Tesla Model Y

Those jackpoint stands are really slick, but man that price is pretty steep. For that kind of money, why not just get something like a Ranger Quick Jack and be done with it??

http://www.bendpak.com/Shop-Equipmen...k/BL-3500.aspx

B.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2015, 09:15 PM   #46
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsmith75
Those jackpoint stands are really slick, but man that price is pretty steep. For that kind of money, why not just get something like a Ranger Quick Jack and be done with it??

http://www.bendpak.com/Shop-Equipmen...k/BL-3500.aspx

B.
wondering if a little portable scissor jack is on my list ... a little scary looking to get under maybe, but I'm sure they have some good locking features.

anytime I'm using a jack or jackstands, I like putting a wheel (flat) under the side of the car too. my favorite is using a drive-on ramp that has a built in scissor jack that can also get the wheels up. feels super safe too! hopefully I'll have a garage someday with this style of lift.

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 12:31 AM   #47
theomega
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 DCT

also wondering where you guys are placing the jack stands. in a perfect world I'd lift with the central mid jacking points, and then place flat topped jack stands with the adaptors into each of the 4 frame rail slots:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VUKG9ZY

but like others my craftsman jack stands don't have flat tops. are you guys just placing these sort of jack stands adjacent to the official slots? or do i really need to get a whole other set of jack stands?

(sorry for resurrecting the old thread!)
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 07:47 AM   #48
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by theomega View Post
also wondering where you guys are placing the jack stands. in a perfect world I'd lift with the central mid jacking points, and then place flat topped jack stands with the adaptors into each of the 4 frame rail slots:

but like others my craftsman jack stands don't have flat tops. are you guys just placing these sort of jack stands adjacent to the official slots? or do i really need to get a whole other set of jack stands?

(sorry for resurrecting the old thread!)
No worries, its a worthwhile thread especially if you read the whole thing.

Place your jack stands at the proper jack points, don't place them adjacent or anyplace else along the "frame rail". You can still use your craftsman style jack stands which I assume have sort of a "claw" top instead of flat (these are the type of stands I have). Just place something between the stand and the jack point. I use thickly folded over paper from my garage door opener owner's manual (hey, it's what was laying around).

The plastic jackpoints can be replaced much more easily (if they crack a bit or something) than anything else you might damage along the "frame rail".
WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889

Last edited by MaynardZed; 02-05-2016 at 01:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 09:36 AM   #49
morgan302
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: m3 2015

Garage List
2015 M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
Lots of bad advice going on in this thread
-NEVER lift from diff. You risk damage to cooling fins and/or diff
-lifting off center at red arrows has potential to be Very Unstable

Instead lift/jack at black Frame cross support pictured between the red arrows just behind the diff in the above pic..... you may need to cut a piece of 4"×4" lumber to fit between the exhaust pipes so the jack can support ****. You may be able to use a piece of 2x4. On my e92 I need a 4x4

be safe
Why not use the places where the lift arms are holding up the car at the rear?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 02:06 PM   #50
theomega
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 DCT

So my cost effective yet damage free solution so far is:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-2-1-4...p-00950182000P
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BPHES8W

-As mentioned before, jack up the back from arms or central frame, use a hockey puck to keep the paint unscratched
-Place the rear jack stands in the plastic jack points using the rubber adapters, they fit nicely on top of the middle flat part of the claws on the craftsman jacks I have
-Snake in floor jack from the side to the front central point and pump up
-Place front jack stands, same as before.

Flat topped jack stands would be more ideal, but I already had these jack stands and it works perfectly. Even if I had to buy new jack stands, I'd still find it hard to spend $300 vs $30 for 4 jack stands.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 04:58 PM   #51
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Why not just use the hockey pucks at the jack points as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theomega View Post
So my cost effective yet damage free solution so far is:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-2-1-4...p-00950182000P
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BPHES8W

-As mentioned before, jack up the back from arms or central frame, use a hockey puck to keep the paint unscratched
-Place the rear jack stands in the plastic jack points using the rubber adapters, they fit nicely on top of the middle flat part of the claws on the craftsman jacks I have
-Snake in floor jack from the side to the front central point and pump up
-Place front jack stands, same as before.

Flat topped jack stands would be more ideal, but I already had these jack stands and it works perfectly. Even if I had to buy new jack stands, I'd still find it hard to spend $300 vs $30 for 4 jack stands.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 06:33 PM   #52
MaX PL
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

i made my own hockey puck adapters from a hockey puck for the jack stand points, but had to shave each end of the pucks to fit the claws on the jack stands.

i don't have a low profile jack so i started by lifting each front wheel one at a time and placing them on a few boards to lift the car a few inches. then i lifted the whole car from the front and placed the jack stands at the jack points.

have not tried the back.

kinda wish someone posted a video or photos of a good method to do it.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 01:30 PM   #53
shawshank772
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i and 16 M3

Has it been confirmed that this is the central jack point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardZed View Post
Update: Using one side of the black "lower A arm" connection basically acts like a rear central jack point because this car is so stiff! Once the rear is up, just placed a jack stand at the far side rear jack point. The near side is only about an inch higher and place a jack stand there too. No need to mess with those delicate looking diff fins. Don't forget to put some good wheel chucks in front of the front tires!
Attachment 1092832
Attachment 1092833

Found the central front jack point (I think), but probably really need 2 floor jacks to safely utilize this to put the front two jack stands under.
Attachment 1092834
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 07:09 PM   #54
MaX PL
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawshank772 View Post
Has it been confirmed that this is the central jack point?
theres literally no where else that you could put a jack as its all covered in plastic.
it pretty much sticks out as the "hey, i'm the jack point" location.

but as for confirmed, no, i don't think its been confirmed by anyone from bmw.
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2016, 08:38 PM   #55
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

I have used that center jackpoint many multiple times with no issues, for what that's worth.
      03-17-2016, 06:17 AM   #56
shawshank772
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i and 16 M3

Thanks for the info guys. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something hiding under it like an oil pan or something sensitive that it was going to smash.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 08:03 AM   #57
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

I recently purchased the jackpoint stands. They are pricy, but they are also well worth it IMO. No guessing where to jack the car up from and risk damaging expensive parts etc. They work as advertised. They are also very big and robust adding some confidence in the safety department.

An added benefit is I live in a state where I swap out winters on my other cars. These work on the rail style jack points as well so I can use them on my wife's Honda Accord and buddies GTI.

Any way, I don't work for them, but after 3 years of effing around with trying it other ways on my BMWs, I'm glad I spent the $650 for the reasons mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 09:28 AM   #58
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
At $650 you're halfway to the price of one of those automatic hydraulic scissor lifts. I think I've even seen 3500lb (should work for some of our cars) capacity ones for close to $1000. A buddy of mine has one he brings to the track, it's a dream.
WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 09:29 AM   #59
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Do those fit under low cars like the M?
      03-17-2016, 09:40 AM   #60
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
I recently purchased the jackpoint stands. They are pricy, but they are also well worth it IMO. No guessing where to jack the car up from and risk damaging expensive parts etc. They work as advertised. They are also very big and robust adding some confidence in the safety department.

An added benefit is I live in a state where I swap out winters on my other cars. These work on the rail style jack points as well so I can use them on my wife's Honda Accord and buddies GTI.

Any way, I don't work for them, but after 3 years of effing around with trying it other ways on my BMWs, I'm glad I spent the $650 for the reasons mentioned.
Did you use a jackpad adapter, hockey puck, wood block, etc? Or did you get a BMW specific one (not from Jackpoint)? Although if you use it on other cars, I'm guessing you got the universal one?

Do you feel it gives you enough clearance off the ground?

How long did it take from order to delivery? They're always backordered.

These are a fantastic idea. All modern jackstands should be made like this. The biggest problem is the cost. At $650, you're creeping towards portable lift prices (QuickJack, BendPak, etc ~$1300). I know it's double the price, but it's a great value, and you gain a lot of functionality.

I'll probably order a 1 set of the 2 jackstands. $300 vs $1300 is enough of a jump that I'm not willing to get the portable lift. I have older jackstands, and they are very easy to use at the proper jackpoints once half of the car is jacked up.

And to answer another question, I've used the central jackpoint in the front of the car a few times. I thought I saw in the manual somewhere it is officially a jackpoint... I could be wrong though...
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 09:45 AM   #61
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardZed View Post
At $650 you're halfway to the price of one of those automatic hydraulic scissor lifts. I think I've even seen 3500lb (should work for some of our cars) capacity ones for close to $1000. A buddy of mine has one he brings to the track, it's a dream.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
Do those fit under low cars like the M?
LOL, you guys beat me to the response by a few mins; I was typing mine.

I believe the 3500lb one you're talking about is the QuickJack. It's actually $895

The JackPoint jackstands are no problem for low cars like ours, or Porsches. If you haven't checked out the method, have a look at some vids on their site; it's pretty cool. As long as a jack can fit under the car, you can use these jackstands. EDIT: I just realized you meant the hydraulic scissor lifts. Disregard.

Last edited by RocketBoots; 03-17-2016 at 10:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 09:46 AM   #62
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

If you're considering $600-$1200 solutions, I say just go for the full $1500 and never look back: http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-BP8000
      03-17-2016, 09:52 AM   #63
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
Did you use a jackpad adapter, hockey puck, wood block, etc? Or did you get a BMW specific one (not from Jackpoint)? Although if you use it on other cars, I'm guessing you got the universal one?

Do you feel it gives you enough clearance off the ground?

How long did it take from order to delivery? They're always backordered.

These are a fantastic idea. All modern jackstands should be made like this. The biggest problem is the cost. At $650, you're creeping towards portable lift prices (QuickJack, BendPak, etc ~$1300). I know it's double the price, but it's a great value, and you gain a lot of functionality.

I'll probably order a 1 set of the 2 jackstands. $300 vs $1300 is enough of a jump that I'm not willing to get the portable lift. I have older jackstands, and they are very easy to use at the proper jackpoints once half of the car is jacked up.

And to answer another question, I've used the central jackpoint in the front of the car a few times. I thought I saw in the manual somewhere it is officially a jackpoint... I could be wrong though...
I got the BMW specific pad, but it has the slot in the middle of it that allows it to be used on other cars. They took about two weeks to arrive so not bad. Shipping cost was reasonable as well.

It is getting close to the lift price, but for me that was a bit too much and I like the simplicity/portability of the Jackpoint stands. With these I can put everything I need for a track day in the trunk instead of needing somebody to follow me in my truck.

I think they have enough clearance for my purposes, but that is one issue with them. They are not adjustable and are the height they are.

I use the central jack point after I've gotten the car on the other two in the rear. It is also advisable to use the central point and take the car off the front stands first when getting it off of them.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 09:56 AM   #64
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
If you're considering $600-$1200 solutions, I say just go for the full $1500 and never look back: http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-BP8000
I would love something like that at home. But, I don't have the room or the height clearance in the garage. Also, not so portable.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 09:59 AM   #65
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
True. But my problem with this is the height clearance. I don't think my garage ceiling has enough. But, yeah, great value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
I got the BMW specific pad, but it has the slot in the middle of it that allows it to be used on other cars. They took about two weeks to arrive so not bad. Shipping cost was reasonable as well.

It is getting close to the lift price, but for me that was a bit too much and I like the simplicity/portability of the Jackpoint stands. With these I can put everything I need for a track day in the trunk instead of needing somebody to follow me in my truck.

I think they have enough clearance for my purposes, but that is one issue with them. They are not adjustable and are the height they are.

I use the central jack point after I've gotten the car on the other two in the rear. It is also advisable to use the central point and take the car off the front stands first when getting it off of them.
Thanks for the info. Two weeks is not bad at all. I suspect they are made to order, which might be why they always show 'backordered'. And good point about just being able to throw them in trunk. With the portable lifts, I'm guessing you'd have to put them in a truck and tow your track car.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 10:39 AM   #66
apexit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 SO M3

I use a quickjack bl5000 that I had extended with welded plates. Works perfectly on my car and even handled my wifes X3. Rarely use the jacks anymore.

Appreciate 1